Riverside residents outside floodwalls told to move belongings to higher ground

webfact

Riverside residents outside floodwalls told to move belongings to higher ground

By Thai PBS

chaophraya-dam.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Residents living along the Chao Phraya river, Klong Bangkok Noi and Klong Mahasawat which are outside the floodwalls have been told by the City Hall to brace for possible flooding during September 4-8 and to move their belongings to higher ground.

Bangkok Governor Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang said the City Hall had received a water situation report from the Meteorological Department predicting that level of water in the Chao Phraya river from Ang Thong downward to Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani would rise up between 10-15 cm during September 4-8 as a result of increased discharge of water downstream from the Chao Phraya dam in Chai Nat province.

He said he was concerned that the rising water level in the Chao Phraya would overflow the banks of Chao Phraya river, Klong Bangkok Noi and Klong Mahasawat where there are no floodwalls.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/riverside-residents-outside-floodwalls-told-move-belongings-higher-ground/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-31

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

And it's never been a problem before so there was no need to anticipate it and construct better defenses.  :coffee1:

There are defenses.... did you not read the article.

Its about those that are outside the flood wal that have to move ot higher ground. 

You can't protect everyone, even in the Netherlands there are places we don't protect as it would not be economically viable. 

Though I am sure they should invest more and close more gaps.. but in the end you can't protect it all unfortunately. 

Edited by robblok

Both Klong Bangkok Noi and Klong Bang Kruai have flood gates in the northern end,

can't remember Klong Maha Sawat.

I am about 5 kilometers downstream (northern end) Bangkok Noi from the flood gate.

Interesting times. 10-15-20 centimeters is OK, can take that. 50 would be a problem though.

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

Money for useless subs = YES

Money for flood-protection measures that occur yearly and cost people a fortune = NO, no hab.

What happened to all the money that the PTP supposedly spent on the flood defences?

BTW did those water pumps that Thaksin ordered from S Korea back in 2011/12 ever turn up?

Governor puts Bangkok river communities on flood alert

By The Nation

5ca2d1d15839bd0a57c129a8dd5a1a32.jpg

Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang

BANGKOK: -- The annual flood watch has returned to Bangkok, with runoff from the North expected to reach the capital between September 4 and 8, at the same time as the seasonal inflow of seawater.

Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang on Thursday ordered officials to closely monitor the situation. 

Five hundred families living along the Chao Phraya River were advised to brace for flooding during that period and move their belongings to safety beforehand as a precaution.

Aswin cited a report from the Royal Irrigation Department that the river was currently flowing through the Chao Phraya Dam at 1,498 cubic metres per second. 

The water level there was said to be more than 16 metres above mean sea level. 

As long as there is no further significant rainfall in Nakhon Sawan, Khamphaeng Phetch, Phichit and Uthai Thani, the water level and flow at the dam would remain controllable, Aswin said. 

However, seasonal high tide from September 4-8 would raise the Chao Phraya River level in Ang Thong, Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani by as much as 15cm. 

Combined with the runoff from the North, Aswin warned, Bangkok riverside residents not protected by the Chao Phraya, Khlong Bangkok Noi or Khlong Mahasawat flood barriers needed to brace for inundation. 

That applies to 496 households in 10 districts – Bang Sue, Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Samphanthawong, Bang Kho Laem, Yannawa, Bangkok Noi, Khlong Toei, Khlong San and Rat Burana. 

All could be affected and precautionary measures should be taken, Aswin said. 

The city has placed 100,000 sandbags near gaps in the flood barriers and another 100,000 sandbags are ready if needed, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30325391

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-31

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Aswin cited a report from the Royal Irrigation Department that the river was currently flowing through the Chao Phraya Dam at 1,498 cubic metres per second. 

The water level there was said to be more than 16 metres above mean sea level. 

What the governor did not mention is that the area surrounding the dam is only 20 metres AMSL anyway.

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Both Klong Bangkok Noi and Klong Bang Kruai have flood gates in the northern end,

can't remember Klong Maha Sawat.

I am about 5 kilometers downstream (northern end) Bangkok Noi from the flood gate.

Interesting times. 10-15-20 centimeters is OK, can take that. 50 would be a problem though.

I m near Bang Kruai  they are working on some new stuff here too a big sluice but have been working on it since 2011. I really do wonder how much money is wasted (corruption wise) that should have been used to maintain or improve the flood defences.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

I have ordered a pair of safety steel toecapped wellies in black.

Cheaper and far more practical.

I got a wading suit, after 2011 i bought one to be prepared... i hope I never have to use it. Back in 2011 i would have paid lots of money to have it.. its quite useful at prolonged flooding.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got a wading suit, after 2011 i bought one to be prepared... i hope I never have to use it. Back in 2011 i would have paid lots of money to have it.. its quite useful at prolonged flooding.

Fortunately for me we live in rural Khampaeng Phet at 156 metres AMSL and so far we have never been flooded at home. We live on a slope with the Mae Wong national park behind us and the klong across the road.

The klong will need to rise at least 12 metres before it gets to the house. The drive gets slowly washed away though.

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Fortunately for me we live in rural Khampaeng Phet at 156 metres AMSL and so far we have never been flooded at home. We live on a slope with the Mae Wong national park behind us and the klong across the road.

The klong will need to rise at least 12 metres before it gets to the house. The drive gets slowly washed away though.

2011 was a rare exception with them mismanaging the dams and then in october having to discharge (always the worst month because of the high tide) so no water could be discharged to the sea (at least not during high tide).

Its quite impressive to see the river moving at Ayuttaya to see it change from going to the see to going inland.. that just shows how low it all is and how much influence the tides have still that far inland. So combine that with extra high tides in October its a bad month because draining water to the sea is not easy then. 

But the village I live has only once been flooded.. and that was 2011.. so that says enough about how exceptional it was. Still once you experienced it it never ever leaves your mind. 

I do see them change things, but its really hard to know how much they change things for the better.

Did you read about the major underwater tunnels to drain water faster from BKK its flooded roads. They just finished it so they are improving things. There really are points in BKK that after hard rain are impassable so they build this tunnel to drain water faster. Impressive. Would be so much better if we had more insight in what was done with money to improve things about flooding about completed projects and so on. 

Perhaps that kind of info is available but for non Thai readers not accessible. 

13 hours ago, robblok said:

2011 was a rare exception with them mismanaging the dams and then in october having to discharge (always the worst month because of the high tide) so no water could be discharged to the sea (at least not during high tide).

Its quite impressive to see the river moving at Ayuttaya to see it change from going to the see to going inland.. that just shows how low it all is and how much influence the tides have still that far inland. So combine that with extra high tides in October its a bad month because draining water to the sea is not easy then. 

But the village I live has only once been flooded.. and that was 2011.. so that says enough about how exceptional it was. Still once you experienced it it never ever leaves your mind. 

I do see them change things, but its really hard to know how much they change things for the better.

Did you read about the major underwater tunnels to drain water faster from BKK its flooded roads. They just finished it so they are improving things. There really are points in BKK that after hard rain are impassable so they build this tunnel to drain water faster. Impressive. Would be so much better if we had more insight in what was done with money to improve things about flooding about completed projects and so on. 

Perhaps that kind of info is available but for non Thai readers not accessible. 

Our small moo ban has not been really flooded, apart from one bend in the road where the camber goes the wrong way. The big village at Klong Lan used to flood regularly but a few years ago they dug out the old drainage making it deeper and wider.

Only in 2011 did it get flooded when the klong overflowed and went from about 2 metres wide to nearly 1 km wide and the water along the village roads was about 1 metre deep at the deepest point.