Nana - haven for foreign mafia doesn't look like Thailand any more

webfact

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Metropolitan Chief Sanit Mahathavorn has got on the case after widespread corruption in the red light district.

"Syrian man had been shaken down for 600,000". That number rings a bell. Lt. General Sanit himself receives 600,000 baht annually from Thai Beverage.

Seems he has been left out of the Nana envelope chain and discovered he is missing out on something. That needs correcting.

13 hours ago, elektrified said:

O.K. I agree, kick the Nigerian scammers out, the Russian mobsters, the drug dealers, as well as the Russian and African prostitutes......

But please leave the Middle Eastern restaurateurs around Soi 3 alone. Their kitchens are absolutely spotlessly clean, the chefs dressed in clean white uniforms, and the food is delicious. No doubt they all have the required licenses too. When I'm in Bangkok, I eat every meal in that area.

I agree with the restaurants, but the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I walk down those alley's, I keep my hand on my knife walking down there.

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

If they can remove the red light district there

That has been tried over the past 25 years or so, The Landmark Hotel "bought" Nana plaza to expand into it, around 1990 - (when it was still only beer bars and a few go-go joints) then has fought to get control of it ever since.  The Marriott group gave up its quest in 2015 when they were paid back all the money it used with interest,  very quietly.  A South African friend of mine was deeply involved in the negotiations, he has since moved back to SA, hopefully a rich man.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, garet said:

"Why the OP does not complain also about chinatown?

Many Chinese operate there."

Because the Thai-Chinese living in Chinatown are Thai citizens and have been in Thailand for several generations. 

There are Thai-Chinese Gold Shops in China town over 150 years old, they have been here much longer than people think.

15 hours ago, elektrified said:

O.K. I agree, kick the Nigerian scammers out, the Russian mobsters, the drug dealers, as well as the Russian and African prostitutes......

But please leave the Middle Eastern restaurateurs around Soi 3 alone. Their kitchens are absolutely spotlessly clean, the chefs dressed in clean white uniforms, and the food is delicious. No doubt they all have the required licenses too. When I'm in Bangkok, I eat every meal in that area.

Yes and while they're at it, kick out the farang junkies keeping the Africans in business

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

That has been tried over the past 25 years or so, The Landmark Hotel "bought" Nana plaza to expand into it, around 1990 - (when it was still only beer bars and a few go-go joints) then has fought to get control of it ever since.  The Marriott group gave up its quest in 2015 when they were paid back all the money it used with interest,  very quietly.  A South African friend of mine was deeply involved in the negotiations, he has since moved back to SA, hopefully a rich man.

interesting history...

To try to " CLEAN UP " this area is useless ......

has been a real mess for a long time , unless you're from the

Middle East . GRACE Hotel is OFF LIMIT for you , yes .... you !!  Thai, White, Chinese, India. Plus the African hookers -

come here after crackdown in Pattaya !!

Edited by kg1947
proper word spacing ....

On 9/1/2017 at 10:23 AM, mike324 said:

those that operate nana, soi cowboy and patpong are very high up police and generals, that is why nothing is ever done about those areas.

There was once when a friend was waiting for a taxi on Soi 4, a guard saw her waiting across the street, as a taxi pass by, the guard waved down the taxi and ask her to come over and take it from opposite the street, the friend thought the guard was being nice. The guard then ask my friend where she is going, then proceeded to open the door for her and tell the taxi, my friend sense something was not right, told the guard, no meter no go in Thai. The guard laughed, closed the door and my friend walked away.  It seems like a lot of the guards on that street also prey on foreigners and tourists, trying to make any money they can.

If they can remove the red light district there, IF, the value of that area would increase and probably be as expensive as ploenchit and langsuan road. It would be a great place.

Wht remove the red light district? It is THE reason people go there plus the great bands that play in the bars like Hillary 2.

I love the soi and don't really care who owns or controls it, but must admit a few less African working ladies would be nice. They get a little offended after I tell them I come the for Thai ladies.

On 9/1/2017 at 0:19 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I agree with the restaurants, but the hair on the back of my neck stands up when I walk down those alley's, I keep my hand on my knife walking down there.

Keep your hand on your knife.....what is this Rambo 99?

The American war in SEA finished for most of us decades ago.

Edited by tryasimight
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I do get a chuckle watching the bald headed farang in Angelwitch trying to order the Mamasan about.

He needs to improve his business model ...not try and blame/bully people for lack of customers.

He looks seriously stressed out!

Here's a clue old mate......stop trying to force the girls onto customers.

I used to happily sit there for an hour or two to watch the show/girls and listen to the music and spend 2000 baht or more on your 160 baht Changs and occasionally drop 5000 baht and take a girl home but now i'm getting hassled every ten minutes by ladies I am not interested in....so these days I might have one or two beers and leave.

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can make out from this article as long as you are paying your dues it doesn't matter what colour your skin is. The tax collectors are doing their job admirably, as they have done for hundreds of years. Welcome to the rest of the world, Thailand! Sad though as I came here for a change! Well done to Tesco's for your prices here being matched with the rest of your stores worldwide. The list of differences worth staying here for grows ever shorter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 3:44 PM, hansnl said:

Ahhhhhh, Chinese.

Guess that is a different kettle of fish?

Incidentally, I took some Chinese nationals who can't speak either Thai or English to Bangkok's Yaowarat but they couldn't find anyone who could speak Chinese! They were initially expecting everyone there to be able to speak Chinese, yet funnily enough it's at the Grand Palace where 90% of all foreign visitors are Chinese where one can find guards that can speak Chinese, as well as some street vendors.

So I guess the comment from that guy about Chinese in Chinatown is not exactly very accurate. My understanding is the current generation of business owners and residents who are of ethnic Chinese extraction in Yaowarat are the descendants of actual Chinese people who migrated to the area but they themselves are so assimilated that they generally can't speak Chinese anymore. Those Chinese language signs one sees were generally erected by the Chinese speaking immigrants who moved to the area, but almost nobody today except for Chinese tourists and elderly ethnic Chinese who can still speak Chinese can read them.

On 9/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, William C F Pierce said:

Yes they get Thai IDs along with the rest of the Siamese immigrant South. The real Thais of Thailand the Hill Tribes in the North and North East are not allowed IDs or Thai citizenship.

Not really. Years ago yes they were usually granted Thai citizenship quite easily but today they are subject to the same conditions as every other foreigner. Otherwise there wouldn't be any Chinese nationals at Thai immigration extending their visas they'd all have Thai IDs which is obviously not the case.

Indeed many hill tribe peoples are not eligible for Thai citizenship. However, I don't see how they are more "real" Thai given many of them have arrived illegally from Myanmar and speak their own native tongues - most of them don't even speak Thai very well (though the more integrated ones obviously do). Akha, Lisu, Payaung (famous for their long necks) and many others originated in China and came to Thailand by way of Myanmar. The Hmong in parts of NE Thailand near the border with Laos came from China via way of Laos. Therefore, I don't see how these hill tribes are any more "Thai" than ethnic Chinese who came directly from China other than some of them have lived in Thailand for longer periods.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:15 PM, elektrified said:

Agree with you about getting rid of the criminal and undesirable elements you have described.

Anyway, I have always found Nana to be a strange curiosity. Driving through Nana soi 3 or walking through some of the back alleys, one sees shops run mainly by Middle Easterners and even some west Africans and they run these shops without a Thai employee in sight, in clear violation of the alien employment act. Not that I care about that, but I was always curious as to how they could get away with this. Virtually nowhere else in Thailand, with the exception of parts of Pattaya and Phuket does one see foreigners working as travel agents, butchers, clerks and restaurant waiters.

I too have found the Middle Eastern restaurants in soi 3 nice, haven't been in over 10 years but what struck me as strange was a non-Thai person taking my order, which might not sound like much but when you don't see that anywhere else in Thailand (exceptions are Lao, Cambodian and Myanmar servers but these people look Thai) it feels kinda weird. After all, when was the last time you went to an American steak restaurant in Thailand and had an American waiter take your order? Of course, the answer is never because all American owned steak restaurants employ only Thai nationals to do this kind of work, hence why seeing a Lebanese or Egyptian person take your order at a restaurant in Thailand feels strange.

In Singapore this wouldn't raise any eyebrows, I've been served by a Swiss man working in a cheese shop, Arab and Pakistani cooks working in little India; seen construction workers from Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and other places, prostitutes from Vietnam and Thailand, but Thailand isn't multi-ethnic or multi-cultural like Singapore is hence why to me it still feels a little unusual.

To the legitimate businesses (most probably are, some may be fronts for some illegal activity) they should be left alone but I suspect that according to this article and the general sentiment I have is that they will start to be scrutinized more and perhaps in time more of these shops will employ only Thais and/or Thais will take over these shops.

On 31/08/2017 at 8:33 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Could it be because those "Chinese" people are the decedents of people who arrived in the 1850's and are actually Thai citizens? 

That means in 150 years all will be ok in the Nana area, but I agree with your post.

Ah the good ole days when Nana kicked off at 10am and sort of went quiet about 3 or 4am. (90's).

Maybe old age memories but I can remember when it was fun.

Just sayin' 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

That means in 150 years all will be ok in the Nana area, but I agree with your post.

Ah the good ole days when Nana kicked off at 10am and sort of went quiet about 3 or 4am. (90's).

Maybe old age memories but I can remember when it was fun.

Just sayin' 

Yeah, it was wild, I went there just to party, it was not just about the girls although obviously they added to the atmosphere, but it was generally just a good night out.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Close it all down. It's day has come and gone, and if you weren't here in the 80's and 90's you all but missed the party anyway. Hard-faced  tattooed scam-artists pimped by East End wide-boys, and boiler room scum. No thanks.

Of course no-one will believe it but the days when you took your 'beloved' back to the hotel for the night and if you felt like a burger or whatever you could hand her a hundred baht or so and she would go out and get one for you and bring it back with a couple of beers etc..

Yes, it did happen.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 9:08 PM, mstevens said:

Foreign mafia indeed.  Soi Nana is a seedy cesspit that is the very worst of Thailand.  The Nana Plaza complex is owned by an Englishman who made his money in boiler rooms.  Andrew Drummond has written many articles all about him and foreign mafia that control Soi Nana.

Very true, and have you noticed how slowly they are getting popped off, ripped off the wrong people? 

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Close it all down. It's day has come and gone, and if you weren't here in the 80's and 90's you all but missed the party anyway. Hard-faced  tattooed scam-artists pimped by East End wide-boys, and boiler room scum. No thanks.

Presumably you don't go there but seem to know all about it.

Sounds like bar stool talk to me.

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Of course no-one will believe it but the days when you took your 'beloved' back to the hotel for the night and if you felt like a burger or whatever you could hand her a hundred baht or so and she would go out and get one for you and bring it back with a couple of beers etc..

Yes, it did happen.

And where exactly, back in the day, was she gonna buy a burger?