Nana - haven for foreign mafia doesn't look like Thailand any more

webfact

So in my small number of years Soi 4 went from Bikers in Black, they got booted out or such. Then it went to what it is now Arab street 2.0. I guess if we wait a few more years it will change again. Seems like the norm for a city such as this. Next might be the removal of the red light district and condos for everyone...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 10:17 AM, KhunMhee said:

So in my small number of years Soi 4 went from Bikers in Black, they got booted out or such. Then it went to what it is now Arab street 2.0. I guess if we wait a few more years it will change again. Seems like the norm for a city such as this. Next might be the removal of the red light district and condos for everyone...

Have not seen this.

Soi 4 is mostly falang and Asian.

Across Sukhumvit is the Arab area and they mostly seem to stick around there.

Rarely do I see Arabs at Nana proper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 29/09/2017 at 11:36 AM, jimster said:

Incidentally, I took some Chinese nationals who can't speak either Thai or English to Bangkok's Yaowarat but they couldn't find anyone who could speak Chinese! They were initially expecting everyone there to be able to speak Chinese, yet funnily enough it's at the Grand Palace where 90% of all foreign visitors are Chinese where one can find guards that can speak Chinese, as well as some street vendors.

So I guess the comment from that guy about Chinese in Chinatown is not exactly very accurate. My understanding is the current generation of business owners and residents who are of ethnic Chinese extraction in Yaowarat are the descendants of actual Chinese people who migrated to the area but they themselves are so assimilated that they generally can't speak Chinese anymore. Those Chinese language signs one sees were generally erected by the Chinese speaking immigrants who moved to the area, but almost nobody today except for Chinese tourists and elderly ethnic Chinese who can still speak Chinese can read them.

I'm not suprised they couldn't find anyone that spoke Chinese. There is no such language as Chinese.The major language in China is Mandarin, with Cantonese being the prominent language in the south and dozens of other languages spoken in different regions.

It's like saying they speak Austrian in Austria or Canadian in Canada etc

Edited by Norbert Halfwit

crikey give me a break mate this is not knew news, just a changing of the guard , different players late 90s 2000 along came africans, middle east, new chinese.. my original arrival into thailand 70s mainly americans + aussies nana and soi cowboy  bkk + pattaya , well entrenched prior to most were chinese , nepalese, indians ,  80s / 90s english got in on the act along with the russians etc.

Edited by Mad mick
spelling

On 8/31/2017 at 10:28 PM, Islam Ghonemi said:

Those Syrian Gang involved and runs all illegal biz at nana area ( drugs , scaming , copy brands , fake proteins , credit card scaming, human trafficking,... ) , they setup this case after the last raid for human trafficking at nana to shut down everyone who helps police to knows about them.

What is the world coming to when "families fleeing war" and "Doctors and Engineers" go rogue like this.

Oh please when did nana ever look like Thailand. 

It came about to service the need of depraved foreigners and has never looked back.

The foreigners it catered for were and remain predominantly white caucasians of a certain age.

Crims catch on and they see opportunities eg drugs.

That the faces are a different colour and the languages not just english is what irks many.

Npt thailand anymore...give me a break