Fans gather at dawn to remember Diana 20 years after her death

snoop1130

Fans gather at dawn to remember Diana 20 years after her death

2017-08-31T075907Z_2_LYNXNPED7U0GD_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-DIANA.JPG

LONDON (Reuters) - Fans of Princess Diana gathered at dawn at the gates of Kensington Palace on Thursday to celebrate the life of a woman who reshaped Britain and its royal family when she died 20 years ago.

Laying flickering candles in the dark, supporters met where tens of thousands had flocked in 1997 to mark the death of one of the most famous women in the world in a Paris car crash.

Her death at the age of 36 prompted the biggest outpouring of grief seen in Britain in recent times and is regarded as a key turning point in how the royal family relates to the public.

With traditional restraint giving way to expressions of emotion, Diana's sons William and Harry have led the way by speaking openly about the trauma they suffered when they lost their mother, as part of a wider campaign of talking about mental health issues.

"No one alive 20 years ago today will forget the moment they heard Princess Di was dead, or the nationwide grief that erupted," the biggest selling Sun newspaper said on Thursday.

"Young people may wonder why Di's death still makes headlines. But the world of 2017 would not be the same had she not been who she was."

The 20th anniversary of Diana's death has prompted a renewed fascination with a woman who made headlines around the world when she married heir-to-the-throne Charles in a fairytale wedding in 1981 before the couple divorced in bitter circumstances in 1996.

"We've been doing this for 20 years," 41-year-old Nicky Surridge told Reuters. "I used to follow her when she was alive, my house is still a shrine to her. She was just a really lovely lady. She was a princess but very normal and caring.

"I stayed here for a week (20 years ago). It was very sad then, but now we come and celebrate her life."

(Reporting by Emma Rumney; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-8-31

34 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I am British yet I cannot understand the fascination and awe that many British people feel for Diana and her memory. I remember when she died. I wasn't really bothered. Am I alone in feeling this way?

No you are not alone. She shook hands with someone with AIDS  and walked through a mine field that had no land mines, and she took loads of holidays and we're expected to still miss her; be glad when the day is over.

1 hour ago, Ridler said:

No you are not alone. She shook hands with someone with AIDS  and walked through a mine field that had no land mines, and she took loads of holidays and we're expected to still miss her; be glad when the day is over.

Just shows how ignorant you are,  she  brought attention to land mines that cost less than a British pound  that maim people, Mainly children playing.   Many being just left from previous Wars, Countries that have just walked away from their responsibility. Also her Work In Aides, She did things that  made people think,  

I was living in Sarajevo when she visited.  The area that she went through had been demined, but that did not make it completely safe.   Mines are missed and in the mountainous and hilly terrain around Sarajevo, the big danger was with mines that washed down from higher areas and were often buried by mud.   She did a huge amount to draw attention to the demining effort world wide.   For that she deserves praise.  

I also remember her visits with AIDS patients that were televised.   People gasped that she would touch them.   I even remember people talking about what a terrible mother she was to expose herself -- and her children by proxy -- to this evil disease, which was a curse from God.   Of course, she couldn't catch it from shaking hands and a much greater and positive awareness resulted from her actions.  

In the spectrum of things, I'd say she provided a common touch to an otherwise aloof institution.   Her positives far outweighed her negatives.  

That humanity and compassion lives on her two sons.   I doubt they would be what they are today without a mother like Diana. 

Not everyone will view her positively, but she was truly a princess to many.

I am British yet I cannot understand the fascination and awe that many British people feel for Diana and her memory. I remember when she died. I wasn't really bothered. Am I alone in feeling this way?

I have absolutely no interest in the Royal Family past or present so you are not alone on feeling this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

No, you're not alone:

"News

BBC obituary editor says he is 'bored' of extensive Princess Diana memorial coverage as he bemoans 'mawkish drivel' on 20th anniversary of her death"

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I have absolutely no interest in the Royal Family past or present so you are not alone on feeling this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Another with the same view. In a modern western country all people are born equal and not a few with a silver spoon in their mouth. And in her case dizzy blonde rings true.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:01 PM, Kadilo said:

The main thing that prevents me from going full-blown republican is that the thought of a presidential system in the UK is even more unappealing than our monarchy, however I do have a soft spot for Diana. She had no problem climbing down from the pedestal that she had been placed upon and showing genuine warmth and compassion to the ordinary people. She didn't shy away from making political statements that still resonate today. I think that, had she lived, the UK would now be a better place.

Of course, she was manipulative - the photos of her at the Taj Mahal show that she knew exactly how to create the type of scene that the media love, and would garner her sympathy. But is there anything wrong about using the tools at your disposal to make your point?

That said, the outpouring of grief following her death, and the mawkish spectacle of her funeral was all much too much. I had a colleague who wore a black armband to the office for a couple of weeks following her death - if it wasn't for the fact that he had reacted similarly when River Phoenix died, I would have thought it was a joke.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, Scott said:

Diana looms large over a lot of people.   I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when JFK died.   The same is true of the death of Diana.  

Her death was unquestionably a great sadness shared by a great many.  Still is.   She was simply a fine human being, and for many a personification of nobility and grace.  But the notion of some "royal conspiracy" having been behind her death was a disservice that added an unfortunate air of lunacy to the tragic event.