Myanmar trip - Yes or No?

CG1 Blue

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

I was in Rakhine state in april; ( Sittwe, Mrauk U and 20 miles up the Kaladan river)

Was also in the Chin state in Nov

locals appreciate tourists being there.

jimdandy; its   Rohingya  NOT Rohingay

and why link a 2015 time report ??

Have u ever been to Myanmar?

Correction on spelling noted. I prefer to stay away from countries that are trying to emerge amidst political strife. Yes local love tourists and I love locals as well. I have even paid for health care for people when I lived in the Middle East.

2 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Correction on spelling noted. I prefer to stay away from countries that are trying to emerge amidst political strife. Yes local love tourists and I love locals as well. I have even paid for health care for people when I lived in the Middle East.

so u have never been to Myanmar so why are u posting??
have u even ever been to SE Asia??

• 7 months later...

Just reviving this discussion as I'm now looking at a few days in Myanmar in mid-August.

I'm reading that Yangon would be far too rainy in August, but Mandalay is more likely to have short bursts of rain, which is fine by me.

With that said I'd appreciate any advice on things to do in the daytime, best area to stay in, the bar scene (does everything really close down by 10pm?) etc.

Cheers

there is NO bar scene in Mandalay,  in fact there very very few bars at all.

Morning,visit the jade market, walk around, rent a motorcycle and visit temples in the old city, take a trip by river up to Mingun, have a beer on the river, sunset from Mandalay hill.  Plenty to do for 2-3 days...

I stay at Royal Power hotel on street 80, large rooms, not many tourists as its more Burmese staying there ( $30/night)

5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

there is NO bar scene in Mandalay,  in fact there very very few bars at all.

Morning,visit the jade market, walk around, rent a motorcycle and visit temples in the old city, take a trip by river up to Mingun, have a beer on the river, sunset from Mandalay hill.  Plenty to do for 2-3 days...

I stay at Royal Power hotel on street 80, large rooms, not many tourists as its more Burmese staying there ( $30/night)

Thanks for the tips. I do like a river boat trip.

So what do people do after 10pm once all the bars and restaurants are closed?

Archived