Myanmar trip - Yes or No?

CG1 Blue

I'm thinking about going to Myanmar for a few days in early December. Whenever I'm in Asia I like to try a new country / area before I head for my comfort zone in Koh Samui. I'm thinking Yangon might be the best place to go, as it's easy to get there, let's me sample a new culture etc., and seems to have a bit going on in the night time.

I recently went to Laos (LP), and while I loved the chilled vibe there and saw some spectacular scenery, the nightlife (lack of) was depressing.

I love Samui mainly because it has a bit of everything for me, and at nights I can choose a quiet chill out bar, some live music. or head for Soi Mango when I'm feeling more energetic.

It would be great to get some feedback from anyone who's been to Yangon before I book.  Cheers

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Don't count on much nightlife in Yangon. Or Myanmar for that matter. Great place to visit, but not for nightlife. Maybe try Phnom Penh instead?

I did Phnom Penh a couple of years ago, just for 1 night before heading to Siem Reap.  To be honest I didn't feel comfortable there with the constant hassle from locals trying to get money from me, and didn't manage to find a decent nightspot. I could give it another try though.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I did Phnom Penh a couple of years ago, just for 1 night before heading to Siem Reap.  To be honest I didn't feel comfortable there with the constant hassle from locals trying to get money from me, and didn't manage to find a decent nightspot. I could give it another try though.

Personally, I don't like PP either. Same for much of Cambodia. But that's my opinion. I was also not impressed with Yangon. I found it too congested and rùn down.

Your problem is trying to tie in some exciting nightlife. Not much, outside Thailand, can compare to Samui!

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Personally, I don't like PP either. Same for much of Cambodia. But that's my opinion. I was also not impressed with Yangon. I found it too congested and rùn down.

Your problem is trying to tie in some exciting nightlife. Not much, outside Thailand, can compare to Samui!

You're right, it's definitely a challenge trying to tie in some nightlife! I was in Krabi in Jan and had an incredible time hiring out a longtail to see the islands, including chasing a 2 metre long Monitor Lizard through a jungle.  The Ao Nang nightlife was a bit sleepy, but the daytime stuff enabled me to put up with that for 3 days...before inevitably heading back to Chaweng :laugh:

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

You're right, it's definitely a challenge trying to tie in some nightlife! I was in Krabi in Jan and had an incredible time hiring out a longtail to see the islands, including chasing a 2 metre long Monitor Lizard through a jungle.  The Ao Nang nightlife was a bit sleepy, but the daytime stuff enabled me to put up with that for 3 days...before inevitably heading back to Chaweng :laugh:

You could have saved a bundle and chased one in Lumpinee park.

12 minutes ago, tonray said:

You could have saved a bundle and chased one in Lumpinee park.

Yes, you're right. Mind you, I prefer trekking through a forest / jungle to see these things.  I think I watched too much Tarzan as a kid...

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yes, you're right. Mind you, I prefer trekking through a forest / jungle to see these things.  I think I watched too much Tarzan as a kid...

You would probably like trekking through the Farang ghetto In Bangkok too.. Definitely some lizards to be found usually after dark.. ha ha

I think it really depend on what you are expecting about nightlife.
I have been based in Thailand for about 25 years and been travelling a lot around the world and of course SE Asia. I also feel the same that it is difficult to find similar nightlife than Thailand ( i leave in Phuket)
I have been working now 5 years in Myanmar all around Myanmar and based professionally in Yangon for nearly one and half year.
Myanmar is not a country where you go because of it nighlife. However, due to opening of the country and business opportunities, the expat community is getting bigger and bigger and so more and more nightlife in Yangon. But again nothing to compare to Thailand and others neighbors countries.
With all my years been in Thailand, i did enjoy a lot nightlife in Bangkok, Pattaya, Samui, Patong beach...when I was younger ( I am 49 now) but this over for me now. Living in Phuket, i am not going to Patong anymore now. Last when i went there was about 4 years ago. So Yangon nightlife suit me as it is not intense as it is in Thailand and I rather go spend my weekends in Bangkok if i want to go for nightlife as it is just an hour flight from Yangon. Basically because of more variety in Bangkok than Yangon.
I believe that at the moment, the highlighted spot in Yangon for nightlife are around Myanmar Plaza (Fuse, Eclipse...next to Hard Rock Cafe), Sedona Hotel, The Penthouse, some reputated bars in the town (such as 7 joints...) and of course locals discos and places which i won't mention the names.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Suggest you  go, its a wonderful country, great people and lots to see an do

Nightlife, very little and outside Yangon and Mandalay, centered around "beer stations" where u will find mostly Burmese men drinking with their friends.10pm   its over except for some parts of Mandalay and Yangon.

surprisingly I found that Nyaungshwe, (where most stay that visit Inle lake) the pace with the most backpackers and a little bit of night life ( happy hours as well) and the Least liked place i have been in the country

I'm thinking about going to Myanmar for a few days in early December. Whenever I'm in Asia I like to try a new country / area before I head for my comfort zone in Koh Samui. I'm thinking Yangon might be the best place to go, as it's easy to get there, let's me sample a new culture etc., and seems to have a bit going on in the night time.
I recently went to Laos (LP), and while I loved the chilled vibe there and saw some spectacular scenery, the nightlife (lack of) was depressing.
I love Samui mainly because it has a bit of everything for me, and at nights I can choose a quiet chill out bar, some live music. or head for Soi Mango when I'm feeling more energetic.
It would be great to get some feedback from anyone who's been to Yangon before I book.  Cheers

Went to Yangon last December for 4 days, never rated it at all, very very dirty.

Nice enough people tho.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:28 AM, phuketrichard said:

Suggest you  go, its a wonderful country, great people and lots to see an do

Nightlife, very little and outside Yangon and Mandalay, centered around "beer stations" where u will find mostly Burmese men drinking with their friends.10pm   its over except for some parts of Mandalay and Yangon.

surprisingly I found that Nyaungshwe, (where most stay that visit Inle lake) the pace with the most backpackers and a little bit of night life ( happy hours as well) and the Least liked place i have been in the country

Very useful, thanks

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:00 AM, jphasia said:

I think it really depend on what you are expecting about nightlife.
I have been based in Thailand for about 25 years and been travelling a lot around the world and of course SE Asia. I also feel the same that it is difficult to find similar nightlife than Thailand ( i leave in Phuket)
I have been working now 5 years in Myanmar all around Myanmar and based professionally in Yangon for nearly one and half year.
Myanmar is not a country where you go because of it nighlife. However, due to opening of the country and business opportunities, the expat community is getting bigger and bigger and so more and more nightlife in Yangon. But again nothing to compare to Thailand and others neighbors countries.
With all my years been in Thailand, i did enjoy a lot nightlife in Bangkok, Pattaya, Samui, Patong beach...when I was younger ( I am 49 now) but this over for me now. Living in Phuket, i am not going to Patong anymore now. Last when i went there was about 4 years ago. So Yangon nightlife suit me as it is not intense as it is in Thailand and I rather go spend my weekends in Bangkok if i want to go for nightlife as it is just an hour flight from Yangon. Basically because of more variety in Bangkok than Yangon.
I believe that at the moment, the highlighted spot in Yangon for nightlife are around Myanmar Plaza (Fuse, Eclipse...next to Hard Rock Cafe), Sedona Hotel, The Penthouse, some reputated bars in the town (such as 7 joints...) and of course locals discos and places which i won't mention the names.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

To be honest I'm not looking for full on nightlife, nightclubs etc. Just a few places to go for a drink, males and females (sounds like some bars are male only), bit of music, and stays open till at least midnight. My main purpose will be to see a new country and culture during the daytime, but I'd like something to do in the evenings. Anyway, thanks for the tips. 

I would definitely go to Bali. The nightlife is comparable to Thailand in Kuta with abundant nightlife and lots of women. It is slower in Ubud and even slower in Lovina but there are some great bars both places and they do stay open late! In my opinion, Surabaya, Indonesia is better than Bangkok regarding the opposite sex and very close to Bali and I speak both languages. Bali might just be what you are looking for and Bali has more stuff to do than any other place I can think of! Air Asia has direct flights flights from Bangkok to Denpasar for about $250 US return for the 4.5 hr flight. I have been in Thailand since 1979 and I have worked and traveled throughout SE Asia (including Myanmar) and the world in the oil patch and continue to do so. Live and learn! Good luck!!

Why would anybody want to go to Myanmar now with a civil war going on with thousands of people being forced out of their country because of their religion, not to mention, burning, raping and murdering innocent people, while the so called new government turns a blind eye.

Would not give them the satisfaction of spending $1 in that place. Chmer Rouge all over again.

If you are going to another country for nightlife don't waste your time or money.  Bars are bars all over the world.  If you want to experience another culture or foods or scenery by all means go but who gives a crap that you are bored with your local bars?

2 hours ago, laubau said:

I would definitely go to Bali. The nightlife is comparable to Thailand in Kuta with abundant nightlife and lots of women. It is slower in Ubud and even slower in Lovina but there are some great bars both places and they do stay open late! In my opinion, Surabaya, Indonesia is better than Bangkok regarding the opposite sex and very close to Bali and I speak both languages. Bali might just be what you are looking for and Bali has more stuff to do than any other place I can think of! Air Asia has direct flights flights from Bangkok to Denpasar for about $250 US return for the 4.5 hr flight. I have been in Thailand since 1979 and I have worked and traveled throughout SE Asia (including Myanmar) and the world in the oil patch and continue to do so. Live and learn! Good luck!!

Bali was actually the other place I had in mind.  You may have just made up my mind for me!  Thanks

52 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Why would anybody want to go to Myanmar now with a civil war going on with thousands of people being forced out of their country because of their religion, not to mention, burning, raping and murdering innocent people, while the so called new government turns a blind eye.

Would not give them the satisfaction of spending $1 in that place. Chmer Rouge all over again.

This only really hit the headlines in the UK last week, and it did make me think Myanmar is not such a good idea right now - from a safety aspect.

In terms of your view on the situation, I have heard another side to it all.  Some are saying that biased reporting blames it all on the government, but in fact that group has caused a lot of trouble and has violent factions.

As an outsider I don't know who to believe.

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Bali was actually the other place I had in mind.  You may have just made up my mind for me!  Thanks

DONT go during the high season ( Dec-March)  or Australian school holidays unless u truly enjoy being around Aussies.

I am headed to Bali in Oct BUT only cause i haven't been there in 13 years, Yes its a nice island but it is very commercialized in most places and crowded ( it was 13 years ago so would assume even more so now)

EXCEPT for nightlife, i'd pick Myanmar  for an experience ( i have been 7 times in past 3 years)  and get to see a country BEFORE its ruined by mass tourism.

Myanmar is as safe as anywhere and you will not be anywhere near the  area that is having trouble ( Rakhine state)

PS ; Hardly a civil war or dangerous!!

On 9/4/2017 at 2:24 PM, CG1 Blue said:

To be honest I'm not looking for full on nightlife, nightclubs etc. Just a few places to go for a drink, males and females (sounds like some bars are male only), bit of music, and stays open till at least midnight. My main purpose will be to see a new country and culture during the daytime, but I'd like something to do in the evenings. Anyway, thanks for the tips. 

Like Burma a lot when I was there. The people and the sights. Met some working girls in bars in hotels in Yangon.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, Jimdandy said:

Too much internal political strife in Burma if you ask me. Why visit a country where there are reports from the United Nations of possible human rights violations. Where will all those tourist dollars go that you spend?

Sounds like the sort of crap Lonely Planet used to publish 7-8 years back.

What about the independent hotelier, restaurant owners and others involved with tourism if you don't go? I am a frequent visitor to Burma and aside from the occasional air fare and visa fees all of my tourist dollars go to individuals far removed from the regime and I'm always made most welcome and I will continue to visit. Love the place and the people I meet.

On 9/7/2017 at 6:49 AM, CG1 Blue said:

This only really hit the headlines in the UK last week, and it did make me think Myanmar is not such a good idea right now - from a safety aspect.

In terms of your view on the situation, I have heard another side to it all.  Some are saying that biased reporting blames it all on the government, but in fact that group has caused a lot of trouble and has violent factions.

As an outsider I don't know who to believe.

I give you an example. You wont go to USa because of what happened in Charlotesville which is thousand miles away of the place you want to visit? Same in Myanmar. 

On 9/9/2017 at 6:52 PM, Mahseer said:

Sounds like the sort of crap Lonely Planet used to publish 7-8 years back.

What about the independent hotelier, restaurant owners and others involved with tourism if you don't go? I am a frequent visitor to Burma and aside from the occasional air fare and visa fees all of my tourist dollars go to individuals far removed from the regime and I'm always made most welcome and I will continue to visit. Love the place and the people I meet.

Try telling that to the Rohingay

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/09/uk-activists-urge-silent-genocide-rohingya-170910194012076.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/09/opinion/kristof-nobel-prize-aung-san-suu-kyi-shame.html?mcubz=0

http://time.com/4089276/burma-rohingya-genocide-report-documentary/

Need more evidence? Got out of your cushy hotel and open your eyes.

5 hours ago, rtr4 said:

I give you an example. You wont go to USa because of what happened in Charlotesville which is thousand miles away of the place you want to visit? Same in Myanmar. 

Huge difference. Myanmar neither has the resources or the political infrastructure to make a difference. Now in the US when you go on many Youtube sites the commercial is a PSA about what happened and what people can do to stop those kinds of things from happening again. Myanmar neither has the resources or the social class willing to stand up to the government and expose what is true and what is media hype. And by the way, yes there are reports of travelers who have changes their North American destination from the US to Canada.

I was in Rakhine state in april; ( Sittwe, Mrauk U and 20 miles up the Kaladan river)

Was also in the Chin state in Nov

locals appreciate tourists being there.

jimdandy; its   Rohingya  NOT Rohingay

and why link a 2015 time report ??

Have u ever been to Myanmar?

8 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Need more evidence? Got out of your cushy hotel and open your eyes.

Open my eyes? How about visiting the country in question? I just returned Saturday from 10 days in Kayah State so no need to rely on google for information.

No one is doubting that there are atrocities going on in Burma but this latest round was in response to attacks made by Rohingya insurgents. I won't throw links at you but you know where to find them but for me as an independent traveller I have elected to continue to visit and support those that are in no way involved with the regime and you have equal right to make your decision.

The sort of people I often visit have been know to wear uniforms and yes they do on occasion have the need to carry arms but I have never been threatened nor have I have ever been refused entry to any of their homes. Here take a look for yourself you may understand my point of view:

<link removed at posters request>

Archived