Smoking in enclosed Pattaya area restaurants

Jingthing

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always laugh when I was on a plane and waiting to disembark seeing all the nicotine addicts with unlit ciggies in mouths. So addicted they had to at least have the cancer stick in mouth so they didn't have to spend a second more before lighting up.

Doesn't happen now of course as they can't smoke in the terminal either- good job too.

I almost got beaten up by one addicted thug in Riyadh immigration when I pointed to the large NO SMOKING sign over his head, as he lit up.

Then you walk outside and startup your diesel ride...?  ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.344edff76eb82fed75aeb98cceab7577.png

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago ( shortly before they stopped smoking on planes ) Air France created " smokers corner ", basically they pulled the curtains before and after the toilets and this became the smokers area !
Of course, after the meal, many people got up to smoke and many others got up to use the restroom !! Absolute chaos, nearly ending in fisticuffs [emoji23]

Needless to say, the idea was short lived !!

I remember many years ago when airplanes had smoking sections. I was flying business with JAL to Belgrade and had booked a non smoking seat. After take off the guy in the seat next to me lit up and I told the stewardess that I had booked a non smoking seat. She pointed to my seat and said "no smoking" then to the seat next to me and said "smoking ok"

40 minutes ago, transam said:

Then you walk outside and startup your diesel ride...?  ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.344edff76eb82fed75aeb98cceab7577.png

I don't own a diesel, and I don't have a car or a m'bike in Thailand. I have a small petrol car at home, but only because there is no affordable public transport where I live.

When they invent a non polluting method of travel I'll certainly use it.

However, the thread is about smoking. Far as I care people can do it, just not in my face. It's great since the law in most countries stopped smoking in enclosed public places.

4 minutes ago, portroyal said:

Poor one !

if you dislike the sense of thai freedom and the "mai pen lai" way, why not:

- go back to your english/american rough country 

or

- eat Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton ?

of course, if you are both intolerant and poor, that's a problem

That's really funny. 

It wasn't really a Thai space at all.

Did you even read the thread before spouting such idiocy? 

BTW, I'm the exact opposite of the type of westerner that sticks to sterile corporate western places in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, transam said:

Many countries are already starting to address this issue, once again I see Thailand falling well behind but there again Thailand has far fewer Diesel small vehicles than first world countries, with many looking to ban the use of all diesel, petrol and possibly even LPG in this half of this century.

2 hours ago, portroyal said:

Poor one !

or

I suspect Jingthing likes the freedom of not being compelled to share the dregs of someone else's habit. So do I. And so do many Thais; but fear of someone's face-loss prevents their protesting to those who are ignorant of the common courtesies of not imposing one's unhealthy habit(s) on others.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes my throat is still irritated and I can even still taste smoke in my mouth the next day. Mouthwash isn't strong enough.

I usually value your input but for sure this cannot be true? Mouthwash won't hide the "taste" from PASSIVE smoke on one ONE occasion from the previous day? Maybe it's just in your head?

When I was a kid everybody could smoke anywhere. But even with people chain-smoking around me I never remember tasting it afterwards.

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I pay for my ticket and I expect not to be inconvenienced by other travellers in any way. I certainly do nothing at all that could possibly inconvenience them. Close your eyes and you wouldn't even know I'm there.

But you live in a society, a community of people, and people vary,  within the law of course. It's a give and take,  and if someone smells in a bus, or in an airplane person next to you removes the shoes and you smell it, that is part of living. Only on a private island will you not be inconvenienced by others in any way. You have full control of environment inside your own car, in your private plane. In a city, a village, an apartement  building there are variables outside your control, all within a law.  For example, I have this neighbor, I can't stand his face, but he hasn't broken a law, and I'll just have to continue living next to him.

Cigarette smoking indoors is illegal, so are many things in this country. Many laws are not reinforced here , and that is part of the charm of Thailand, it is always balancing act here, sometimes you gain, sometime you lose. Cigarette smokers next to you here?  Just leave the place.

Another option is Singapore, full blown law and oreder state, to the point the amount of breaths allowed per minute are  regulated by law, violators hanged. Thailand is nice balance between fully regulated West, and anarchy, wouldn't change it, and we can't anyway, least of all smokers next to me. Small children next to me is where I'd call the cops, not some smokers. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They don't have a delivery service. I can barely communicate with them at all even in the restaurant. I'm sure their hygiene is terrible as well! 

Any way to order the food at the restaurant, wait outside, pay really quickly, and grab the takeaway? There's got to be a solution. If all us here think together, we may come up with a plan, hopefully! 

18 hours ago, pegman said:

I found this for what it's worth. 

"Pursuant to the Non-Smokers Health Protection Act 1992, the Ministry of Public Health has issued numerous notices increasingly prohibiting or restricting public smoking. The most recent notice - Ministry of Public Health Notice No. 19 of 2010 - prohibits smoking in all indoor public places, workplaces, and public transport and some outdoor places, with the exception of international airports, which have designated smoking areas, and non-air conditioned facilities serving food and/or drinks, which are smoke free only in the areas where food and/or drinks are served."

http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/legislation/country/thailand/summary

Yes that's the legal situation but it's currently almost never enforced. Except for smoking on public transport and sensitive areas like hospitals...

At my workplace there is a 2 by 4 metre [sic.] sign saying smoking is strictly forbidden and what not. The sign is a located in a roofed space with the sides partly open and that's precisely where most smokers congregate... right is front of the sign. On some days when there is a large crowd of smokers and several of them with e-cigarettes (which give off more visible smoke) the massive sign disappears in a plume of smoke. Honesty... I'm not kidding.

Edited by Morakot

Any way to order the food at the restaurant, wait outside, pay really quickly, and grab the takeaway? There's got to be a solution. If all us here think together, we may come up with a plan, hopefully! 

I doubt it.

I already have a solution.

Case the joint first.

If it's not already smoky and empty then probably OK. Eating smokers usually smoke after eating.

I also intend to communicate why I'm walking out when I do.

4 hours ago, portroyal said:

Poor one !

or

I am more than intolerant and have no respect for anyone, but I would never smoke in their face because I am not a piece of shiiiteee like the ones doing this. I am also rich enough to eat at any 5star 7 days a week but why should I do it because of these scummbagggs ?

Edited by bbpbbp

I would drop into one or two of the tourist review websites like TripAdvisor and write a scathing review. Expect them to begin to lose their tourist clientele, little by little.

The name of the place so present company may avoid it?

But I'm new here and already I know that rules are made to be broken in LOS.

I you don't like smoke . Asia is probably not the place for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I was in Bruno's Restaurant. The owner wasn't present and one of the waiters asked me if I would object if the people on the table next to me smoked. I told him it was an indoor and air-conditioned area and that I strongly objected to smoking. They lit up anyway. I had finished my meal and deducted the tip. On the way out I told the table that I had informed the Police oh their illegal smoking.  They put out their cigarettes so my bluff worked. 

Dear god....spare me...go to Myanmar. In a lot of the places I've been the first thing they do is put down an ashtray with 5 cigarettes in it, freebies for the customers. Most places have cigarette lighters hanging from the roof for all to use, Dorothy, Toto and Kansas springs to mind.

Edited by tryasimight

Excellent idea!

It's not foolproof but it will probably usually work. Also the place is close to good alternative places so no biggie at all to literally sniff it out first.

From their POV they're probably better off allowing smoking. The staff doesn't seem to smoke though. If they ever decide to translate their menu and invite more international people in then it might be in their interest to ban smoking. It's their business unless they come to the attention of police that care. Seems unlikely.

10 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Yeh sure , don't know how many times I've heard guys say that. I like sex too but I can give it up for awhile say for lent but guys who are addicted can't stop smoking. They say  "I don't have to smoke , I can quit anytime "   try not lighting up for 24hrs or 3 days. You won't be able to and will feel like hell.Most say they like to smoke  but it's more like they don't want to feel the nicotine withdrawal symptoms if they stop such as nervous/angry ect.

Give up sex for Lent.......how quaint.

I already explained why I go there. You can get "food" everywhere, but they have a special kind of food that is not easily found, and I like it. I hope that's OK with your highness. 

Of course, if it was just some kind of generic "food" I wouldn't ever go back. 

It's the second hand smoke , it adds to the flavour . You no the smoky taste mmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Should they also have rooms for crack-heads? And people who dont wash and smell bad? And what about people who are drunk and shouting? Or those with screaming kids? Or those who talk loudly on phones for hours on end? Or fatties who occupy a seat and a half just by sitting down?

I pay for my ticket and I expect not to be inconvenienced by other travellers in any way. I certainly do nothing at all that could possibly inconvenience them. Close your eyes and you wouldn't even know I'm there.

I tried and tried, closed my eyes really tightly, I really did....but your nonsense post is still here.

I thought the thread was about restaurants? We need to buy a seat in a restaurant these days? I have to get out more.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed, I can remember the overwhelming stink of smoke when getting home....

....In pubs now all you can smell now is 'Old Mens Farts and Cheap Perfume'.....  

I think the Solution: Ban Smoking indoors, but also ban people from guffing and ban women from bathing in Eau de teargas....:passifier:

Seriously though guys... stop farting so much !!!...  oh, and the smoking ban indoors really is a huge improvement.

More on topic: There is only one bar / restaurant in Bangkok I know of which does not adhere to the ban and its still quite Popular. 

Only one...55555555

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems most farang smokers seem to change into complete a holes in Thailand by smoking in every restaurant possible near as many children as possible. I really felt like throwing some farang off the KFC balcony in Central as he stood next to the no smoking sign. 

But you didn't. Bit hard at 75 with a kid in a stroller ....don't want to upset your 25 years old wife.

Only joking old mate, don't take life so seriously....we all end up the same way eventually.......some sooner than others,