Xiaomi Mi A1 Andriod One

mitebbots

Xiaomi seems to be quite innovative; for bezel-less designs, I think I 'd want to try the whole "vibrating" (Piezoelectric) Speaker a bit. The Xiaomi Mi Mix sounds a bit tinny on some YouTube videos.

The Mi Mix 2 is due to be launched ~ 11/12 Sep. Same as the iPhone. The Mi Mix 2 looks impressive according to leaks.

As far as I can tell, a lot Xiaomi phones are grey-market, so no local warranty support. Xiaomi Thailand has localized some phones, and those likely have local warranty support.

It will be interesting to see if the Mi A1 launches with Android 8.0. In theory, it should.

looks a good spec phone at a decent price. I have the dual camera Redmi Pro at the moment and its a solid phone.

One think Im not liking is the size of the battery, every Xiaomi I have had has a minimum of 4000 mah, this one is a bit skinny at 3300, would of to see that at 4000 aswell.

The we will see how much of a battery hog MIUI and if the MIUI Optimisations actually do anything as this A1 will be stock Android.

Currently have an i-mobile IQ II (Android One).

I really like the specs of this new Android One   ...all except the lack of radio modems covering UMTS 1800(B3), and LTE 900(B8).

AIS, CAT, DTAC and TRUE all provide service on 1800(B3) some spectrum is used for UMTS 3G coverage.

AIS and TRUE provide service on LTE 900(B8) providing additional ancillary coverage to their existing LTE 2100(B1) coverage.

So the phone not having these two radio modem bands will limit it slightly.

TOT and DTAC (as partner) are tentatively providing additional LTE coverage on 2300(B40) with 60MHz of bandwidth that should be up an running by the end of 2017. That will be interesting to see.

As the phone is slated to be also released in Thailand (as well as other SEA countries), maybe they'll do a variant specifically covering all the radio bands. I'm seriously thinking about picking one up to replace my IQ II.

From Mi.com | Xaiomi Mi A1

Mode

Band

GSM 2G 

1900(B2), 1800(B3), 850(B5), 900(B8)

UMTS 3G 

2100(B1), 1900(B2), 850(B5), 900(B8)

FDD-LTE 4G 

2100(B1), 1800(B3), 850(B5)

TDD-LTE 4G 

2300(B40), 2500(B41)

SlideShare | Thailand’s Telecom Structure 2017

www.yozzo.comTHAILAND’S TELECOMS STRUCTURE 2017 – OVERVIEW 1/21. An MVNO does not own spectrum2. Used for Universial Se...

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I guess this is just a Xiaomi Mi 5X (8,100/32 GB - 9,100/64 GB THB) running stock Android.

Yes, "Android One" will mean a stock Android OS and no Xiaomi MIUI.

Android One includes at least two years of OS upgrades (to the latest version of Android) and security updates.

Google:  https://www.android.com/one/

A bit cheaper, 9,182 THB at GearBest...

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_757529.html?wid=4

13 hours ago, RichCor said:

Android One includes at least two years of OS upgrades (to the latest version of Android) and security updates.

Yes, but...someone at Xiaomi has to make the build and push it; I guess I wouldn't be expecting monthly security updates? Maybe quarterly roll-ups, and a path to Oreo and maybe Peanut Butter (9.0)?

I just loaded the Sep. 7.1.1 update (NGI55D, Sep 2017) on my Nexus 6 yesterday. https://developers.google.com/android/images

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, but...someone at Xiaomi has to make the build and push it; I guess I wouldn't be expecting monthly security updates? Maybe quarterly roll-ups, and a path to Oreo and maybe Peanut Butter (9.0)?

Previously, with Android One devices, a team at Google built and pushed all the OTA updates and new OS versions. I received Android One updates almost at the same time as Nexus and Google Play devices did.

With the Xiaomi version they're saying Xiaomi will be rolling out the updates to the Mi A1. Hopefully; since it's stock android with just a few tweaks for their dual-camera, IR Blaster and finger print sensor; updates won't be delayed or deferred as they tend to be when manufacturers are responsible for the updates.

It looks like the Android One program has gotten a bit of a boost in the last few days.

HTC U11, and Moto X4 (along with the Xiaomi Mi 5X/A1) are newer devices.

The HTC U11 looks like it might be impressive?

HTC’s first Android One phone will be a rebranded HTC U11 Life

Android One is back. The program seemed destined for the dustbin, but the release of the exciting new Mi A1 – and rumors of a new Motorola Android One coming to the United States – suggest there’s still hope.

And Xiaomi and Motorola are not the only big names joining the Android One club. According to two well-known leakers, HTC might be readying an Android One device of its own.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htcs-first-android-one-phone-will-rebranded-htc-u11-life-800166/

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2017 at 1:55 AM, mtls2005 said:

AOB Shop (MBK) is in MBK.

I doubt there is any warranty provided.

It usually takes me half an hour or longer to find a particular shop in MBK even when I know on what floor it is and have the name and shop number and have been to that shop before. This must be due to my absolute lack of a sense of orientation. I wish they had GPS navigation in MBK and other big shopping complexes.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

It usually takes me half an hour or longer to find a particular shop in MBK even when I know on what floor it is and have the name and shop number and have been to that shop before. This must be due to my absolute lack of a sense of orientation. I wish they had GPS navigation in MBK and other big shopping complexes.

Same for me.

Google was my friend to locate the shop. 

Xioami opened their first official shop in Thailand yesterday, at Imperial World Samrong (an aged mall on Sukhumvit, between Bearing and Samrong).

They have (had?) the A1, for 7,990 THB, and had some freebies yesterday as well, a Mi Band 2 (990 THB) for free with the purchase of an A1.

This is an "official" product with a local warranty, provided by one (or more) sort of third-party partners (VST ECS is one of these partners, I guess?).

It usually takes me half an hour or longer to find a particular shop in MBK even when I know on what floor it is and have the name and shop number and have been to that shop before. 

I usually ask someone. MBK/4 FL is still a bit of a mess owing to refurbishments, but it's still easy to ask someone, IME. Or just look at their FB page, which will have a map.

Chinese phones are getting more impressive every year, now the best ones use a lot of the same components like snapdragon 821 or 835 processors, gorilla glass 4/5 and unibody aluminium and glass construction and they can deliver it around half the price of the Samsung equivalent at the same spec

In the past I avoided Chinese because they were usually inferior but they have improved their game with each generation and now I think I'll be looking hard at Chinese over Samsung and htc

14 hours ago, MikeWill said:

Also where, price

Available at the Xiaomi shop in Imperial Samrong, and on-line at Lazada, 11street and Shopee.

and some authorized sellers have it for up to 500 baht off, so 7,490

There are a gazillion reviews on Youtube, most of which are positive.

Ohh God...just when I thought I had my phone obsession under control, this thread comes along coinciding with me dropping my X-Note4 on a tile floor=cracked screen.  Small, totally non-functional crack but enough for my obsessive phone jones to kick in and return me to daily logging onto Gearbest.

The Mi-A1 looks pretty tempting aside from the downsized 3000 mAh battery...I've kind of gotten used to never less than half a tank remaining when I retire the X-Note4 at night.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I finally bought the Mi A1 (black) at MBK NASA shop (www.nasaphone.net) at ฿ 6.900. It comes with the plastic cover and screen protector. The shop installed it all. It also includes a 1-year warranty. On the box, it stated "Global Version".

I definitely recommend this shop. 

Edited by MikeWill

19 hours ago, MikeWill said:

Yesterday, I finally bought the Mi A1 (black) at MBK NASA shop (www.nasaphone.net) at ฿ 6.900. It comes with the plastic cover and screen protector. The shop installed it all. It also includes a 1-year warranty. On the box, it stated "Global Version".

I definitely recommend this shop. 

@MikeWill:

I think many here, including me, would appreciate a follow-up post after maybe a months use.  I'm especially interested in how well the downsized battery holds up.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1. The battery on my Mi A1 is holding exceptionally well. One charge is enough for two days or more.

2. Yes, the phone is updated to v.8.0.0 ( Oreo ). I also get monthly security patches.

So far no problems at all. I'm satisfied.

On 24/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, dddave said:

Ohh God...just when I thought I had my phone obsession under control, this thread comes along coinciding with me dropping my X-Note4 on a tile floor=cracked screen.  Small, totally non-functional crack but enough for my obsessive phone jones to kick in and return me to daily logging onto Gearbest.

The Mi-A1 looks pretty tempting aside from the downsized 3000 mAh battery...I've kind of gotten used to never less than half a tank remaining when I retire the X-Note4 at night.

I love Xiaomi phones especially the batteries in them but I have also smashed the screen on everyone i have add which is about 6 total. 

Even the Mi Max 2 which I love now has a smashed screen. Not sure why they so fragile. Im also tempted with this phone but as you say battery is a bit skinny especially compared to the Max 2 which i never gt less than 10hrs SOT.

Im wondering how the camera is especially in low light conditions.

Edited by 2008bangkok