Morality Promotion Act To Be Promulgated Across Nation

Jai Dee

Morality Promotion Act to be promulgated across nation

Ministry of Social Development and Human Security is preparing to submit a draft of the Morality Promotion Act to a Cabinet meeting to cultivate moral awareness in the society.

Minister of Social Development and Human Security, Piboon Watanasiritham (ไพบูลย์ วัฒนศิริธรรม) revealed that the act is aimed to develop morality of individuals, government and private sectors, and non-government organizations alike. It will place more importance to moral values and merit making than wealth and power.

According to Mr Piboon, the government will lay policy in line with the act and set up a national morality committee. One of the committee’s tasks is to make annual reports on the status of Thai people’s morality. The act’s draft is expected to submit to a Cabinet meeting within the next two months.

The minister added that at present the Thai society is still divided and recent unrest situations suggest that people’s morality has been corrupted.

However, he said it is necessary to urge people to do good deeds despite political conflicts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 January 2007

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ministry of Social Development and Human Security is preparing to submit a draft of the Morality Promotion Act to a Cabinet meeting to cultivate moral awareness in the society.

Minister of Social Development and Human Security, Piboon Watanasiritham (ไพบูลย์ วัฒนศิริธรรม) revealed that the act is aimed to develop morality of individuals, government and private sectors, and non-government organizations alike. It will place more importance to moral values and merit making than wealth and power.

According to Mr Piboon, the government will lay policy in line with the act and set up a national morality committee. One of the committee’s tasks is to make annual reports on the status of Thai people’s morality. The act’s draft is expected to submit to a Cabinet meeting within the next two months.

The minister added that at present the Thai society is still divided and recent unrest situations suggest that people’s morality has been corrupted.

However, he said it is necessary to urge people to do good deeds despite political conflicts.

There goes the neighborhood. :o

I wonder how merit making will go down with non-Buddhist Thais?

It'd be great if we could get a translation of what this "morality act" entails. I bet it's a bunch of "obey authority" nonsense so the junta can keep control. Of course if you wanted to dig in and question the REAL controversial parts of thai society the whole nation would lose face.

Thai police benefit directly from the nocturnal going-on in Nana, Cowboy etc...

I'm not so sure the army does get such levels of economic participation.

Bearing in mind that the police and army have a traditional ...rivalry...competitive spirit.... in Thailand, then the fact that the army now has pole position in Thailand may make them feel less like protecting the naughty nightlife in a moral crackdown.

Has Mr Purity come back?

Remember the damage he did

Why did he go into exile in new zealand?

Too many death threats?

If by "Mr. Purity" you mean Purichai......I think you need a lesson in recent history. He did not do any damage at all....all he did was to enforce the laws...whenever people complained to him about what he was doing he would tell them that. All he did was to enforce the laws...that's all.....he was one of the few uncorrupt public servants in Thai government. He didn't make the laws...that was not his job...his job was to enforce the laws and that's what he did and he did it fairly and evenly to the best of his abilities and as a result there probably were lots of death threats...in Thailand when a bribe isn't accepted often the next step is death threats and then the act itself. He used to tell his detractors that if they didn't like the laws that he was charged with upholding then they should go have the laws changed!!!! Bravo to him I say...he was spot on with how he saw his job and the proper place for lawmakers and law enforcement in society. If there were a million more like him in gov't Thailand would be a much better place.

Chownah

Has Mr Purity come back?

Remember the damage he did

Why did he go into exile in new zealand?

Too many death threats?

If by "Mr. Purity" you mean Purichai......I think you need a lesson in recent history. He did not do any damage at all....all he did was to enforce the laws...whenever people complained to him about what he was doing he would tell them that. All he did was to enforce the laws...that's all.....he was one of the few uncorrupt public servants in Thai government. He didn't make the laws...that was not his job...his job was to enforce the laws and that's what he did and he did it fairly and evenly to the best of his abilities and as a result there probably were lots of death threats...in Thailand when a bribe isn't accepted often the next step is death threats and then the act itself. He used to tell his detractors that if they didn't like the laws that he was charged with upholding then they should go have the laws changed!!!! Bravo to him I say...he was spot on with how he saw his job and the proper place for lawmakers and law enforcement in society. If there were a million more like him in gov't Thailand would be a much better place.

Chownah

And he didnt last very long in government so it is hardly an incentive for others to copy his lead :o

So the wealthy and powerful will be transferring some of this wealth and power! Or are they trying to discourage the poor and powerless from upward mobility?

I suspect the latter. Bar girls driving round in new cars, owning houses, buying land and cattle, speaking English better than the wealthy "Educated" thias, speaking English better than any Thai English Teacher I have ever met. Using better English than any rich Thai that bought their education certificate or got one from a language school with a no fail policy!!

Wait till all these Thai/English kids are older, better educated, less hot headed, more rational and with more foresight than the current "Elite". The country could be in danger of taking a massive step forward which would be a major tragedy to around 500 people in the country.

Gonna be a bout of ultra nationalism and they have already moved along these lines by banning all those skin whitening products last year!!! JOKING before you start!

Mind you , I'm getting a lot more sunbathing in to be on the safe side.

Edited by Dupont

Thai police benefit directly from the nocturnal going-on in Nana, Cowboy etc...

I'm not so sure the army does get such levels of economic participation.

Bearing in mind that the police and army have a traditional ...rivalry...competitive spirit.... in Thailand, then the fact that the army now has pole position in Thailand may make them feel less like protecting the naughty nightlife in a moral crackdown.

Actually they do. Many of the Thai nightlife areas are controlled and protected by the military. PP, Soi Cowboy, Nana etc. is peanuts compared to the volume of money geneated in the Thai areas.

Also very legal money generating ventures, with a large volume of underground economy attached, is officially under the authority of the army, such as Thai boxing, or the airport, TV stations, etc.

This new morality drive is a bit ironic, especially in light of the discrepancy of self promotion, of who is virtous, and realiy, which is slightly different.

Edited by ColPyat

Shades of Victorian England here....................... :D

...and shades of Orwellian novels to boot!

Next bright idea, straight from the pages of "1984" - thought crime! all thoughts to be monitored by the Royal Thai Thought Police.

Big Brother is watching!

As I write, I wonder who in Government has just finished reading, and come up with this idiotic ideas?

:o

Looks like TV members are all against morality and virtues.

Purachai selectively enforced the laws no one else remembered or cared about. There are plenty of those in any country. Taxi cabs in England are required to carry hay in the boot for hungry horses, for example.

Looks like TV members are all against morality and virtues.

Purachai selectively enforced the laws no one else remembered or cared about. There are plenty of those in any country. Taxi cabs in England are required to carry hay in the boot for hungry horses, for example.

Not really. But i believe most TV members, and most Thais, are perfectly able to decide for themselves on morality issue, and don't need a new orwellian government body dictating those terms. Especially dicatated by a government that is staffed with people that have more than a few own discrepancies with what they preach, how they present themselves, and their own not so well hidden actions.

But i am pretty sure that you would applaud when laws such the one regarding cabs in London, or against anal sex in some parts of the US will be enforced. May i suggest you to apply for a position in the US to enforce that specific law, i believe you would be unusually qualified. :o

But i am pretty sure that you would applaud when laws such the one regarding cabs in London, or against anal sex in some parts of the US will be enforced. May i suggest you to apply for a position in the US to enforce that specific law, i believe you would be unusually qualified. :D
I've read the original article in the Nation earlier I didn't find anything unusual with the new "special" force. Nowhere did it say or even hint that it will be a secret death squad purging all dissidents.

Maintaining of the martial law is not budgeted in regular military expenses. They just delegated it to the new force. A fairly reasonable way of managing extra duties.

"Death squads", lost freedoms - people here are getting a bit more paranoid than usual, that's all.

another foreigner with his head up the military's black hole

not one of you brown nosing the new gov. can prove that you know any of the top brass at the army

cannot wait for the next brown nosing comment on the millitary from people who havent a clue

happy new year

hope you can use some gel to get those heads out of the armies black hole

This post has been edited by brazil: 2006-12-29 16:13:31

foreigners are very much brown nosing this new gov. and the same on all other military backed gov.s of the past

no body ever brown noses an elected gov.

this new gov. is making some foreigners have their noses so far up the military's black hole

This post has been edited by brazil: 2006-12-28 17:11:46

:o

I am truly puzzled by the usual anti-junta bunch and their fascination with the rectum. *:D

Edited by Tony Clifton

Shades of Victorian England here....................... :o

Not just Victorian England .. 2007 England too. Its a horrible controlled couinrty , obsessed with telling people what they can and can't do in the bedroom. The English govt still cannot come to terms with the fact that sex is great , and leave peoplealone to do it whenever and wherever and with whoever they wish.

Seems like Thailand is following the English lead . Why not just leave people to their own devises ...if you don't like it ...don't look!!

Well well, look who is talking here! People, who with the threat of guns have seized the power are telling us now what is moral?

What makes them think THEY know what is good and moral for people and what is not? Censorship is good for people, cutting freedom and personal responsibility is good for people, taking away democratic rights is good for people and their moral ...

What a bunch of hypocrites! Thailand, the Land of the Frees! Ha, you got to be kidding!

This is one of the more interesting threads, and I must admit a bit humorous.

First off it is virtually unenforceable so does that imply good morality in submitting it hoping to earn ones pay? Most certainly it looks good on paper but in reality people do what they do to survive. If their education is not there then they must compensate in another way to put food on the table. That brings up the question is it morally correct to pass students who should repeat a grade? There are several instances that the Thai government has encouraged immorality one being very low pay for police thus encouraging corruption.

As I said it is a great idea on paper but essentially they must look in their own house before they look in others. This must not only address the effect but also the cause, so for this I must say 60-20-20.

Well good deeds don't earn income, so I suspect this won't go very far. Easy to do good deeds when you have no other worries, but lets face it most thai(s) live day to day.

People who live day to day do more good deeds than people who don't!

Kinda flies in the face of merit-making reincarnation but it is true nonetheless.

The pro-moral bit is no different than you get anywhere else, with 'family values' getting stressed. Thats just a PC way of saying the same thing.

I'm actually rather pro-junta, for the most part. They seem to be doing a lot of things right. More than not. Certainly better than Thaksin. A lot of the fears seem to be unsubstantiated. The censorship of Thaksin may be a little overprotective, but then maybe they know something we don't - like the power of the media and the abilities of a well funded group to affect public opinion. Could easily be far more unstable otherwise. Their release of power, albiet slow, is encouraging, as well.

I am very anti control, and very pro democracy. However, it seems to me that at present, Thailand is simply not ready for a true democracy. I think that some of the powers that be realise the same thing. The cry for democracy in most of the East is somewhat premature I think.