Unable To Satisfy Non O Requirements - What Now?

This year, indeed next week, I am faced with the problem of not being able to show sufficient funds to renew my Non Imm O visa. On top of that, albeit for the moment not an issue, my wife and I are to divorce when "convenient" to me. My question: What the devil do I do? I have been spoilt for the last seven years having had a wife who has taken care of all such matters in a twinkling of an eye and I have just turned up to sign next to the 'X' when required.

I am assuming that I shall have to, as I wish to stay here, obtain a tourist visa and do whatever one does in accordance with those visa regulations. My second question: Would someone please point me in the right direction as to where I should go and what I must do in order to resolve my dilemma? Naive? Yes! Open to ignorant obtuse replies? No thank you!

This year, indeed next week, I am faced with the problem of not being able to show sufficient funds to renew my Non Imm O visa. On top of that, albeit for the moment not an issue, my wife and I are to divorce when "convenient" to me. My question: What the devil do I do? I have been spoilt for the last seven years having had a wife who has taken care of all such matters in a twinkling of an eye and I have just turned up to sign next to the 'X' when required.

I am assuming that I shall have to, as I wish to stay here, obtain a tourist visa and do whatever one does in accordance with those visa regulations. My second question: Would someone please point me in the right direction as to where I should go and what I must do in order to resolve my dilemma? Naive? Yes! Open to ignorant obtuse replies? No thank you!

If a 3 month non-imm O is of help,all you need is a copy of your Marriage Certificate and a copy of your wifes ID,(both signed by her) . Then a trip to Vientienne ,no funds are required to be shown.

While your at it get her to sign a few copies of each and that will see you right for a while.

Thank you very much. The answer you gave seems unbelievably simple and naturally I wish it so. Are you able to tell me how I might, accompanied by an 'Agent', find buses or whatever to go there as I am reluctant to undergo the experience first time on my own, just in case (555) there are any hitches? My visa runs out on the 2nd so I imagine that the 31st of this month should be the latest day to leave.

Thank you very much. The answer you gave seems unbelievably simple and naturally I wish it so. Are you able to tell me how I might, accompanied by an 'Agent', find buses or whatever to go there as I am reluctant to undergo the experience first time on my own, just in case (555) there are any hitches? My visa runs out on the 2nd so I imagine that the 31st of this month should be the latest day to leave.

Or go to Penang. They may even give you a multi entry which would give you 15 months stay. Some have reported getting this.

Get the morning Air Asia flight to Penang. On arrival get a taxi to the consulate. Or go to George Town find a cheap place to stay . Plenty of agents there if you do not want to do it yourself.

Up to you where you go, it really is not that difficult.

Lite Beer wrote:

Or go to Penang. They may even give you a multi entry which would give you 15 months stay. Some have reported getting this.

Get the morning Air Asia flight to Penang. On arrival get a taxi to the consulate. Or go to George Town find a cheap place to stay . Plenty of agents there if you do not want to do it yourself.

Scout 666 replies:

As you have no doubt gathered, I have not got a clue as to how to reply correctly. Please forgive me. Given the late hour (my fault) and the eagerness to receive answers, coupled with appreciation at receiving them, I am doing the best that I can under those circumstances.

Find a place to stay? A two day affair then is it? A multi-entry 15 month visa is something that I did not know existed. With regard to the "no funds are required to be shown" aspect that Ozzydom referred to; is that also the case in Penang? For the past 7 years I have duly reported on an annual basis to Suan Phlu, paid my dues and left with another year's extension (subject to the 'under consideration' period) without a care in the world. As for 'Agents' in Penang, I am assuming that they will find me - is that correct?

I am encouraged to note that "it really is not that difficult" and if all is plain sailing then why should it not be? Long do long do - we shall see 55.

Lite Beer wrote:

Scout 666 replies:

As you have no doubt gathered, I have not got a clue as to how to reply correctly. Please forgive me. Given the late hour (my fault) and the eagerness to receive answers, coupled with appreciation at receiving them, I am doing the best that I can under those circumstances.

Find a place to stay? A two day affair then is it? A multi-entry 15 month visa is something that I did not know existed. With regard to the "no funds are required to be shown" aspect that Ozzydom referred to; is that also the case in Penang? For the past 7 years I have duly reported on an annual basis to Suan Phlu, paid my dues and left with another year's extension (subject to the 'under consideration' period) without a care in the world. As for 'Agents' in Penang, I am assuming that they will find me - is that correct?

I am encouraged to note that "it really is not that difficult" and if all is plain sailing then why should it not be? Long do long do - we shall see 55.

I think you will find that the visa lite-beer is referring to requires the same documentation I mentioned but also you will probably need to show a current bank balance of 400k baht.

Lopburi 3 is the resident Immigration expert and he may post the exact requirements for you later.

ozzy

Thanks Ozzy. So to clarify my thinking: A visa run to Vientiane will, without letter from bank manager or bank book showing 400K, enable me to obtain a 3 month Non Imm O providing I produce validated copies of the marriage certificate and ID card of my wife, 2 X passport photographs of myself and obviously my passport. Is that correct or will there be additional requirements?

If as you write, Lodburi 3 is the resident immigration expert then I hope that he he reads this thread, if not maybe I can try to PM him tomorrow morning.

Nevertheless, thanks to both you and Lite Beer for taking the trouble to respond to my post. Thanks indeed.

Thanks Ozzy. So to clarify my thinking: A visa run to Vientiane will, without letter from bank manager or bank book showing 400K, enable me to obtain a 3 month Non Imm O providing I produce validated copies of the marriage certificate and ID card of my wife, 2 X passport photographs of myself and obviously my passport. Is that correct or will there be additional requirements?

If as you write, Lodburi 3 is the resident immigration expert then I hope that he he reads this thread, if not maybe I can try to PM him tomorrow morning.

Nevertheless, thanks to both you and Lite Beer for taking the trouble to respond to my post. Thanks indeed.

My neighbour who is separated from his wife has had 3 consecutive single entry (90 day) non-O visas from Vientiane. He has copies of his wifes ID card, house book, and marriage cert, which he shows every time. I don't know how long he can carry on doing this but it has worked so far, so it should be OK for you. He has never had to show evidence of money in the bank.

I think sooner or later they will ask him why he doesn't just get a 12 month extension at an immigration office in Thailand, but it hasn't happened yet!

Thanks Billrose, that sounds very encouraging. Do you happen to know where I might catch one of these Agent trips from BKK that I have heard about? I would prefer to accompany an agent on my first visit so as to learn the ropes so to speak.

Thanks.

The 30th and 31st are holidays in Thailand and will no doubt be observed by the Thai Embassies/Consulates.

I knew the 30th was but I did not know that the 31st was also. That's cutting it a bit fine as the current visa runs out on the 2nd. Thanks for the info Terry

Thanks Billrose, that sounds very encouraging. Do you happen to know where I might catch one of these Agent trips from BKK that I have heard about? I would prefer to accompany an agent on my first visit so as to learn the ropes so to speak.

Thanks.

Scout666,

It's not difficult to obtain a visa in Vientiane on your own. Here's a link to my first time visa run to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1376715

Also,

1. No evidence of income required.

2. Do have a copy of your wife's ID, signed & dated.

3. Copy of passport information page (including copy of page with last visa issued)

4. Copy of marriage certificate

5. Download the application, fill in the required information & attach two recent passport pics.

6. It's a two day process, submit application & PP before 1130 one day, next day pick up passport after 1300 (If the 31st is a holiday, you'll be ok submitting on the 1st).

If you hop a flight to Udon, there's taxi/bus service to the border from the airport. Not sure for return trip, but Nong Khai isn't very big you can take tuk tuk to bus/train station.

And if you're interested I can recommend a hotel for under 800 bt.

Here's a link to a map of Vientiane:

http://www.udonmap.com/images/Vientianemap.gif

Good luck...

The non immigrant O visa is normally easy to obtain with the marriage certificate and signed/dated copy of spouse ID card or passport. Some Consulates have requested a copy of home register signed/dated also so always good to have with you but probably will not be required. No bank account information is normally required for single entry (which is what Vientiane would issue). If you have 400k in a bank account anywhere you should be able to get a multi entry in Singapore and probably Penang.

Thanks.

Scout666,

It's not difficult to obtain a visa in Vientiane on your own. Here's a link to my first time visa run to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane:

Also,

3. Copy of passport information page (including copy of page with last visa issued)

5. Download the application, fill in the required information & attach two recent passport pics.

6. It's a two day process, submit application & PP before 1130 one day, next day pick up passport after 1300 (If the 31st is a holiday, you'll be ok submitting on the 1st).

If you hop a flight to Udon, there's taxi/bus service to the border from the airport. Not sure for return trip, but Nong Khai isn't very big you can take tuk tuk to bus/train station.

Good luck...

Hello Rito; brilliant, absolutely brilliant - thank you. I have read the post at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1376715 and found it to be informative and definitively written. The compliments within the thread were fully justified and I too, wish to add mine to that list.

As a result of reading the information provided I feel much more comfortable and confident in venturing out on my own (7 years of being mollycoddled can have its drawbacks) and I thank you sincerely for your interest and assistance. My thanks go also to Billrose, Lite Beer, Lopburi3, TerryLH, and Ozzydom.

One last question: Where in BKK can I board a bus to go to; would it be Udon Thani or Nong Khai? Presumably, an overnight bus trip so as to arrive at a similar time as you did at the border would make sense. As for recommending “a hotel for under 800 bt” – please do. Actually, one more last-last question: Does Thai language documentation (marriage certificate and ID card) need to be translated into English language and certified in addition to being signed by the spouse?

Thank you once again – much obliged.

I'm in a similar predicitment in so far as I have to leave by the 2nd. I think north bound buses leave from Morchit Bus Terminal. That's where the Khon Kaen buses leave from and I suspect Udon too.

Thanks.

Scout666,

Also,

Good luck...

Hello Rito; brilliant, absolutely brilliant - thank you. I have read the post at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1376715 and found it to be informative and definitively written. The compliments within the thread were fully justified and I too, wish to add mine to that list.

As a result of reading the information provided I feel much more comfortable and confident in venturing out on my own (7 years of being mollycoddled can have its drawbacks) and I thank you sincerely for your interest and assistance. My thanks go also to Billrose, Lite Beer, Lopburi3, TerryLH, and Ozzydom.

One last question: Where in BKK can I board a bus to go to; would it be Udon Thani or Nong Khai? Presumably, an overnight bus trip so as to arrive at a similar time as you did at the border would make sense. As for recommending “a hotel for under 800 bt” – please do. Actually, one more last-last question: Does Thai language documentation (marriage certificate and ID card) need to be translated into English language and certified in addition to being signed by the spouse?

Thanks.

Scout666,

Also,

Good luck...

Translation of Thai language documents to English is not necessary (at least it wasn't for me), certification wasn't required either. You could try asking for a multi non-O (5000bt). Also, according to the Thai Embassy website they're open on the 31st.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

If you take the bus, bypass Udon and go straight to Nong Khai. Other option is the overnight train:

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

The train station is closer to the Thai border check point than the bus station:

http://www.udonmap.com/images/nongkhai_map.gif

Suggestion: when you arrive at the Laos side for visa on arrival, hook up with another farang(s) to split fare to Thai Embassy.

BTW, thanks for the compliment. Have a good journey and good luck.

absolutely brilliant is right.

Probably the best example on this board of helping others out i've seen for a long time. With no stupid or negative replies, amazing !

Good luck to you Scout and applause to Rito :o

Edited by englishoak

Actually if you go to Kahosarn Rd. you can get a bus direct to Vientian in Laos. Drop you at the doorstep of the embassy! All the transport is done for you. VOA in Laos is also helpfully assisted with!

Try any travel agent on the Khaosarn Rd strip and they will help you. It is cheap as well!

Good luck

BB

Thanks.

Scout666,

Also,

Good luck...

Translation of Thai language documents to English is not necessary (at least it wasn't for me), certification wasn't required either. You could try asking for a multi non-O (5000bt). Also, according to the Thai Embassy website they're open on the 31st.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

If you take the bus, bypass Udon and go straight to Nong Khai. Other option is the overnight train:

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

The train station is closer to the Thai border check point than the bus station:

http://www.udonmap.com/images/nongkhai_map.gif

Suggestion: when you arrive at the Laos side for visa on arrival, hook up with another farang(s) to split fare to Thai Embassy.

BTW, thanks for the compliment. Have a good journey and good luck.

Thanks Rito. I will let you know how I get along.

Actually if you go to Kahosarn Rd. you can get a bus direct to Vientian in Laos. Drop you at the doorstep of the embassy! All the transport is done for you. VOA in Laos is also helpfully assisted with!

Try any travel agent on the Khaosarn Rd strip and they will help you. It is cheap as well!

Good luck

BB

Perfect answer - perfect solution. Thank you Badbanker

Heya Lopburi3 -

What's with the 400k in the bank for a non-Imm O? I thought it was 40k/month income wife or husband, or wife and husband?

Please advise

The non immigrant O visa is normally easy to obtain with the marriage certificate and signed/dated copy of spouse ID card or passport. Some Consulates have requested a copy of home register signed/dated also so always good to have with you but probably will not be required. No bank account information is normally required for single entry (which is what Vientiane would issue). If you have 400k in a bank account anywhere you should be able to get a multi entry in Singapore and probably Penang.

Heya Lopburi3 -

What's with the 400k in the bank for a non-Imm O? I thought it was 40k/month income wife or husband, or wife and husband?

Please advise

Funds of 400,000 in bank to obtain Multi entry Non O Visa from a consulate or embassy.

40,000 a month income to apply for a yearly extension at Immigration in Thailand.

Sorry I am not Lopburi 3 . He must be still asleep.

Have KL altered their position to require 400K too now, or was it an oversight in the post above that made it look like most consulates/embassies require it for multientry?

My next yearly trip is due in 1.5months...

There are currently only three Consulates in the immediate area that are reported to issue multi entry non immigrant O visa. Singapore with 400k; Penang with unspecified amount but may also be 400k; and KL sometimes issue/sometimes not issue but no financial requirement was mentioned in last reports (which have been some time ago).

On 23 JUL I was in the same situation. I applied anyway at the Immigration office on Suan Phlu and let my wife do the talking. They gave me a 2 month extension on the spot. I did not show any of my bank statements that show that I have more than enough to stay for a while...instead I told them that I do not have a job but that I am looking.

After everything was done, my wife asked the officer what to do if I haven't been able to find a job and still want to stay, then she mentioned going to Malaysia and applying for another visa at the embassy there and I would get another year visa.

Heya Lopburi3 -

Please advise

Funds of 400,000 in bank to obtain Multi entry Non O Visa from a consulate or embassy.

40,000 a month income to apply for a yearly extension at Immigration in Thailand.

Sorry I am not Lopburi 3 . He must be still asleep.

Lordy, there is just entirely too much information on visas on this site. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so often ambiguous, contradictory, and/or incomplete.

- 400,000 in a bank? Or 800,000?

- 40,000 monthly income? Or 65,000?

- I can go to Vientiene (or wherever) and get a one year non-imm-O each year? Under what conditions? Or, given the above (whatever) monthly income, I can go to Bangkok and do it somehow better?

- From a visa point of view, is it more advantageous to be married, or unmarried?

So difficult to plan for tomorrow...

I'm in a similar predicitment in so far as I have to leave by the 2nd. I think north bound buses leave from Morchit Bus Terminal. That's where the Khon Kaen buses leave from and I suspect Udon too.

Thanks.

Scout666,

Also,

Good luck...

One last question: Where in BKK can I board a bus to go to; would it be Udon Thani or Nong Khai? Presumably, an overnight bus trip so as to arrive at a similar time as you did at the border would make sense. As for recommending "a hotel for under 800 bt" – please do. Actually, one more last-last question: Does Thai language documentation (marriage certificate and ID card) need to be translated into English language and certified in addition to being signed by the spouse?

Return to your home country.

Stay here and you will become a burder to yourself and to Thailand that cannot accommodate you.

Edited by distortedlink