Do You Feel Insecure

having a yearly retirment visa in my passport untill jan 2008 . i still feel insecre with all these changes coming in october it's a constant worry

would the thai immigration give some security by issuing a 5 year or longer visa having this hassle every year is not good in old age

and having 800000 baht tied up with litttle intrest

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having a yearly retirment visa in my passport untill jan 2008 . i still feel insecre with all these changes coming in october it's a constant worry

would the thai immigration give some security by issuing a 5 year or longer visa having this hassle every year is not good in old age

800k baht is only tiedupif you cannotproof income of 6k with Embassy letter

I feel I will be able to meet the requirements but who knows...

I do not feel insecure at all but I have a 'b' plan in case I have to leave

I am not retired and even though I love Thailand I would

feel insecure if I was retired because its amlmost as though you

live from month to month wondering what changes they will

introduce next month - that is not a relaxing way to live

IMHO :o

Completely agree. I use the 65K method and am not sure at what point this will change. It would be great to have a longer issued permission to stay.

that was 65,000 per month wasn't it ?

Not sure but….

I have been told that if you have a yearly retirement visa, then this is honoured for the following years….. anyone know ?

I am on my 4th yearly visa via the Fixed term 800,000 in a Bank here..

A friend that has been here many years, renews his, still using the 200,000 which it was some years ago, another has just renewed [was very worried] as they are on the 3million Investment visa. But had no problems.

I know a number of people would have problems if this changed…… In UK and maybe many other Countries your Pension is fixed for life on the day you leave the UK, and dose not go up again unless you return and stay for 180 days in the UK, then you get the new rate from the day you leave.

Those on retirement have been grandfathered in the past and likely will be in the future but there is no guarantee - and for any that may fail to meet the requirement for whatever reason (medical bills come to mind) could mean not being able to obtain again at the grandfathered rate. So, like life itself, you do not have complete security. I suspect that is why most of us stay in our country of birth.

But surly a longer term commitment and less uncertainty should be everyones goal. But It does not look very realistic in todays world.

Yes!!!!

I feel insecure with the Thai retirement visa system.

They have us all on a short lease. If security is the main concern and you are looking for longer term promise from a foreign government, at present you must look at some other countries that do offer this. So I disagree that such visa insecurity is a given for all expat retirement. It is the case in Thailand and I see no evidence or hope this will improve here.

There is an idea which I have stated before which I want to put out there again, that is a more modest goal.

How about a PATH to a secure retirement residence status that kicks in after being in continuous annual extensions for 5 years?

Surely, in 5 years, most of the criminal bad apples would have been shaken out.

As it is now, you can be here for 25 years and still have the exact same totally insecure immigration as day one. That is just not right.

I also think real estate ownership should result in more liberal requirements because such people have made a large financial commitment to living in Thailand.

I know there are those who have said to me before, we are happy with the current system, you are a whinger, but personally, I think that is bonkers. Who wouldn't at least want more security?

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I think there is objective evidence that they don't want us very much. If they did, there wouldn't be this seemingly constant jerking around, and they would compete to attract more of us, even liberalizing the requirements as some other countries are doing.

Another point I have: before you retire here, even if you intellectually know about the insecure visa situation, you cannot really know how important that problem will be for you and how it will actually feel for you after you have sold up (as most of us do) and are living in Thailand. So, to future retirees, I suggest, think harder. I recommend the country. I don't recommend the visa system.

Edited by Jingthing

I have been in Thailand for a number of years and have seen many "rule" changes over the years. Some have made things easier and some more difficult. The rule changes have generally been reasonable and have little effect on ones ability to stay.

No matter what country we retire in there is a level of insecurity. Things like unexpected medical costs and cost of living increases on fixed income are a few but these are also factors in our home countries. Medical insurance is relatively cheap in Thailand so suggest you look into it. Last and maybe most importantly, do not sink more money (property etc.) in Thailand than you cannot afford to walk away from.

that was 65,000 per month wasn't it ?

yes sorry :o

thailand .... its well past its sell by date.

you guys dont get it.... they WANT and PLAN the problems and contingencies. they do not want you and it makes scant difference if you have money - only that you have something more to steal. there are two dozen ways to solve the under retirement age and over retirement age problems and (ALLEGED but sight unseen) socalled 'MAFIA' problems overnight. they have their money and you have served your purpose - now go away farang.

I agree.

But i'll stick here some more time, even if they don't like me being here.

One day i'll die anyway, THEN will they be rid of this one :o

No matter what country we retire in there is a level of insecurity. Things like unexpected medical costs and cost of living increases on fixed income are a few but these are also factors in our home countries.

Yes, but we are talking about VISA insecurities specifically. Things like failing health and money worries are a part of the human condition. Visa rules that don't provide any long term security aren't.

I will also stick it out here. I don't really care if the government wants me here or not. I do care if it results in having to leave, but I will cross that bridge (passport line) when it comes.

Edited by Jingthing

The way to avoid failing health concerns (associated with visa requirements) is to get PR. Then you don't need to worry about visiting immigration offices/doing visa runs when you are in failing health....

Simon

Ok so they change the rules from time to time .................

Just work around the new changes and chill out :D

Where there is a will theres always a way ........dont feel unwanted or unloved your Thai lady love farang too mutt :o

JB

No matter what country we retire in there is a level of insecurity. Things like unexpected medical costs and cost of living increases on fixed income are a few but these are also factors in our home countries.

Yes, but we are talking about VISA insecurities specifically. Things like failing health and money worries are a part of the human condition. Visa rules that don't provide any long term security aren't.

I will also stick it out here. I don't really care if the government wants me here or not. I do care if it results in having to leave, but I will cross that bridge (passport line) when it comes.

Yes VISA issues do add to the insecurity. The assumption that because there are changes the government does not want us here, I believe to be inaccurate. Not long ago, the age to retire was lowered from 55 to 50 indicating a desire to encourage more to retire here. Increases in the amount of income one must have and the cost of getting the visa/extension have gone up over the years but this should not come as a surprise given escalation in the cost of living not only in Thailand but worldwide. The most recent or planned/rumored changes involving having 800,000 in the bank for at least 3 months before extension date and stricter verification of monthly income are a result of some people trying to "cheat the system" by pooling money to get 800,000 in the bank or falsifying their monthly incomes.

And yes as in any country, being non citizens residing here does not give us any guarantee we can stay indefinitely. As with you, I intend to "stick it out here" because all other alternatives are not nearly as attractive.

Edited by roietjimmy

A 'b' plan ?

Is that, in case of real trouble, moving to The Philipinnes?

Grtz

A 'b' plan ?

Grtz

No I will keep my permanent residency alive in Japan and also a place to return to if needed

The insecurity (for my life) in the Phillipines makes it a no choice to start with.

Indonesia wouldbe high on my list but the paperwork is very very complicated

A 'b' plan ?

Grtz

No I will keep my permanent residency alive in Japan and also a place to return to if needed

The insecurity (for my life) in the Phillipines makes it a no choice to start with.

Indonesia wouldbe high on my list but the paperwork is very very complicated

I see...

Thanks for the swift reply.

Yes!!!!

I feel insecure with the Thai retirement visa system.

They have us all on a short lease. If security is the main concern and you are looking for longer term promise from a foreign government, at present you must look at some other countries that do offer this. So I disagree that such visa insecurity is a given for all expat retirement. It is the case in Thailand and I see no evidence or hope this will improve here.

There is an idea which I have stated before which I want to put out there again, that is a more modest goal.

How about a PATH to a secure retirement residence status that kicks in after being in continuous annual extensions for 5 years?

Surely, in 5 years, most of the criminal bad apples would have been shaken out.

As it is now, you can be here for 25 years and still have the exact same totally insecure immigration as day one. That is just not right.

I also think real estate ownership should result in more liberal requirements because such people have made a large financial commitment to living in Thailand.

I know there are those who have said to me before, we are happy with the current system, you are a whinger, but personally, I think that is bonkers. Who wouldn't at least want more security?

Hello fellow X pats. I would love to see a few changes in Thailand regarding life here for us. However I can not keep from thinking that Thailand is, and always will be FOR Thai people. I do not believe people in power want much changed especially if it allows for us more independant thinking FARANGS a way of being here permanently. I think many in LOS would rather have our money stay and we go.

Or not.

Regards, Keoki :o

Edited by selftaopath

I’ve been here since 1998 my wife is Thai and have a 16 year old daughter who was born in Canada and has since become a Thai citizen. After my first year got an annual retirement visa and had to put 200,000 Baht in the bank. I think it was about three years ago was told this will now be 400,000. I applied a month ago for my annual renewal and had the passport stamped on Friday with the extension no mention of increases to my bank balance. So guess I’m good for at lease another year. The strange thing was when at emigration last year I was asked to show a tax form. I pay tax in Canada on my pensions and the officer told me to just copy that form which was done. Nothing said this time just stamp stamp on your way. Has anyone else had this request?

Just one more thing considering what the staff in visa offices have to go through I think the service it good and efficient as most govement offices in I'm sure most countrys. You wouldn't get me working there dealing with a bunch of aliens.

Edited by bkkbill

I'll go in October to get my 2nd renewal of retirement visa, based on pension income. I've lived here since June 2003, and have no plans or intention of ever leaving. It is annoying to only get one year at a time. Three years would be quite reasonable; five years would not be unreasonable, either. Retirement usually means a certain certainty. Not so in Thailand.