Thai School Apologizes To Jewish Organization For Nazi Celebration

sriracha john

Thai school apologizes to Jewish organization for Nazi celebration

BANGKOK, Thailand: A Thai school has apologized to an international Jewish human rights organization for its sponsorship of a celebration that involved a Nazi-themed parade, according to an announcement received Wednesday.

The Los Angeles-based Simon Wiesenthal Center said in a press release that a group of students at Thewphaingarm School in Bangkok chose to dress as Nazis on sports day, an annual event held in September that divides students into teams.

Photos from the event showed about 200 students — between the ages of 6 and 18 — dressed in red outfits with swastikas on their baseball caps behind a large sign with "NAZI" in shoulder-high letters.

Some students at the school — which also offers an English-language curriculum — wore elaborately stylized storm-trooper uniforms, carried fake rifles or performed the "sieg heil" salute.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper of the Simon Wiesenthal Center wrote a letter to the school earlier this month, protesting that such activity mocks the memory of victims of Nazi aggression and has no place in an educational institution.

"We are long past the time when such incidents take place in Asia that can be excused due to 'alleged' ignorance of the Nazis' atrocities during World War II," the letter said.

According to the center, school director Kanya Khemanan responded with an apology, saying that the Nazi celebration happened mainly due to a lack of oversight.

The teacher responsible has been removed from his position and the school has since held lectures and discussions on the Holocaust, the center said, citing Kanya's letter.

Calls to the Thewphaingarm School went unanswered Wednesday.

Nazi regalia and symbols surface from time to time in Thailand and other parts of Asia, often treated as chic design elements for otherwise unrelated products and services.

In 1988, a Nazi-themed bar in a trendy Bangkok mall drew protests from foreigners because of its glamorization of the Third Reich. In 1998, a Thai company used Hitler's likeness to sell potato chips.

Hong Kong and Japan have witnessed a growth in the casual wearing of SS uniforms, as well as increased interest in "white power" music, popular with neo-Nazis.

South Korea several years ago experienced a surge of public fascination with Nazi imagery, and earlier this year, a pro-Hitler group in Taiwan with approximately 1,000 members attempted to gain official status from the government.

Western reaction to the Asian phenomenon has been one of sharp criticism and utter astonishment. Western diplomats, especially Germans and Israelis, have complained heavily, pointing out that Asians suffered during World War II under occupation by Japan, Nazi Germany's ally.

- Associated Press

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that Prince Harry did apologize; quite profusely, as I recall.

I've seen this type of happen in schools before and it certainly wasn't due to 'lack of oversight', it's due to a genuine disregard for the feelings of others. At the school where I work, they etched swastika's into glass and then put them on display! When they were drawing them, I talked to the art teacher, the coordinator, and eventually the director about the offensiveness of this. They said it didn't matter and did it anyway.

I don't like things like this, not that I am personally offended, but it causes a lot of discomfort to those who do take offense. At the time, we had 3 Jewish teachers.

Of course, if anybody says or does anything that is considered to be the least bit offensive toward a certain family, all h*ll breaks lose.

Sensitivity isn't a one way street.

You have to realise that the Swastika has been a religious symbol in Asia for many hundreds of years before Hitler adopted it as a symbol for the Nazi Party, (it's something to do with the power of good over evil?), and is widely used in temples all over Asia so to criticise a teacher for allowing pupils to etch it on glass is a bit much, unless you'd also criticise the etching of a Crucifix or Star of David?

However to blatently allow it to be associated with the Nazis in the way the school did (and presumably the bar) IS showing a lack of sensitivity.

You have to realise that the Swastika has been a religious symbol in Asia for many hundreds of years before Hitler adopted it as a symbol for the Nazi Party, (it's something to do with the power of good over evil?), and is widely used in temples all over Asia so to criticise a teacher for allowing pupils to etch it on glass is a bit much, unless you'd also criticise the etching of a Crucifix or Star of David?

However to blatently allow it to be associated with the Nazis in the way the school did (and presumably the bar) IS showing a lack of sensitivity.

Did the Nazi's not reverse the direction of the Swatika though from the religious one?

If pupils are etching the religious one then fine but some people are in the grip of the "Holocaust Industry" that even has them not wanting other genocides recognised such as the Armenian.

It's great to see that the school apologized to the Jewish organization. This has been a major issue on some teacher websites, and this story today belongs under "General" topics for ThaiVisa.

Make no mistake; this was not merely a backwards swastika of Asian art. It was an ignorant display glorifying Hitler's Third Reich, and the admission that the huge sports event was done with all that flair and participation, 'mainly due to a lack of oversight,' is an absurd understatement. To imagine a school sports day that would insult the Thais equally, cannot even be mentioned on ThaiVisa. However, think of the drunken Swede who was deported, and think of the Youtube incident, and you're halfway there.

Let us hope that this unfortunate episode at a single school will teach the Thai staff some very essential world history. Notably, the farang teachers of the English program were apparently never consulted or took part in the event.

Did the Nazi's not reverse the direction of the Swatika though from the religious one?

If pupils are etching the religious one then fine but some people are in the grip of the "Holocaust Industry" that even has them not wanting other genocides recognised such as the Armenian.

post-9005-1192762359.png

The left-facing swastika can be found in both Hindu and Buddhist tradition.

post-9005-1192762449_thumb.png

The fylfot (swastika) is among the holiest of Jain symbols.

post-9005-1192762552.png

The traditional flag of the Kuna Yala people of Panama.

post-9005-1192762693.png

In the Western world, since World War II, the swastika is usually associated with the flag of Nazi Germany and the Nazi Party. Prior to this association, swastikas were used throughout the western world.

More Swastika Info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Edited by sriracha john

A few years ago I remember meeting a young Thai soldier (of about 19 I think) on leave in Isaan in a local disco. Out of the blue (maybe because I was farang) I remember him saying that he thought Hitler was great and giving a Nazi salute and grinning away. I was a bit taken aback although after chatting to him I don't really think he knew anything in depth about Hitler or the Nazis. Maybe he'd seen a documentary on the History channel about them and was attracted to the unforms or something.

Edited by katana

Unbelievable. Considering the group that was being celebrated was the antithesis of Buddist principles, I just don't get it. I suppose if they actually taught world history in schools, there might be some appreciation of how thoroughly stupid this event was.

Imagine if I had shown up at the event and said, hey kids, guess what, we're going to get in the spirit of things by showing the benefits of eugenics. I wonder if they would have objected once I started selecting those students with visible deficiencies for death.

What's next? Khmer Rouge days where they go around and use plastic bags to suffocate people that wear glasses, because only the elitists wear glasses?

This must make the Ministry of Tourism proud.

This is going to come back and haunt them.

I suppose if they actually taught world history in schools, there might be some appreciation of how thoroughly stupid this event was.

My daughter had to do a project on the holocaust when she was in M1 or M2 - thinking that they don't really understand what happened is being a bit kind, I feel.

I can't beleive that this is getting the publicity that it is now, as it has been freely available to see on the internet for about 6-7 months on several teaching sites.

Thankfuly, the school has finally made an apology, but it has taken them some time to do so.

The teacher responsible has been removed from his position and the school has since held lectures and discussions on the Holocaust, the center said, citing Kanya's letter.

I'm curious which teacher was removed. Was it the foreign teacher who took the photographs and allowed them to be posted elsewhere, or the Thai teacher who gave the go-ahead? Looking at other forums, my guess is it may have been the first one.

I'm curious which teacher was removed. Was it the foreign teacher who took the photographs and allowed them to be posted elsewhere, or the Thai teacher who gave the go-ahead? Looking at other forums, my guess is it may have been the first one.

ofcourse, getting caught here is a bigger crime than what you get caught for....:o

One has to make careful distinctions here.

As earlier mentioned - the swastika is a symbol used around the globe since thousands of years, and just because the Nazis occupied that symbol does not mean that others should not use it anymore, unless it comes in the Nazi particular color code.

Nevertheless, in many Asian societies there is very strong political support for Nazi style ideology, militarism, and it's leader principle. Unfortunately in Thailand there is this support existing.

Many Asian countries have a history of Nazi support. One reason is that the Nazis and allied Japan have supported during WW2 anti colonial movements against the British, such as Aung San in Burma, or Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose in India. Also Fieldmarshal Phibul Songkram was a Nazi/fascist admirer (as were to differing degrees other parts of the Thai elite as well).

Another reason is that during the beginning of nation building here, and during the anti communist era, especially in Thailand, the state used Nazi/fascist style mass organisations and nationalism to bind the masses to the state, in which the individual's role in society is defined in a a submissive position to the state/society/hierarchy in the context of a nationalism replacing feudalism.

One thing that has puzzled me for a long time here in Thailand was the free use of the Nazi particular Swastika so often seen by Thai Hippies (or better - these guys dressed like Hippies). A conversation with an older Thai Hippi has explained a lot to me. His explanation was that Thai Hippies, different than western Hippies, or what we understand as Hippies, have been/are openly Nationalist, even racist, and the use of this particular symbol was a very conscious support for some the ideologies Nazis stand for.

There were/are countless mass organisations in Asia that are openly pro Nazi, or closely associated with Nazi/Fascist ideology. In India there are the RSS and its sub-organizations, the VHP (all with their confused Aryan ideologies and Hindutva), the Bombay/Maharashtra based Shiv Sena (their founder Bal Thakrey has written even a book stating strong support for Hitler), here in Thailand especially to note are the village scouts and many other state supported militias and paramilitary organizations that still function very similar to Nazi/Fascist principles.

This is one of the more uncomfortable (at least for me) realities of contemporary Asia.

Edited by ColPyat

....Notably, the farang teachers of the English program were apparently never consulted or took part in the event...

My ex-girlfriend worked at at Thewpaingarm school (on Charansanitwong) at the time of this incident. Indeed, the farang teachers (that's what she was) were not consulted about the themes that the kids were going to display. The kids proudly sieg heiled each other and brandished weapons, calling each other 'gay' and other racist terms. What's incredible about this is that there was another team whose theme seemed to be either 'Prostitutes' or 'Lady-Boys', not sure which. Unfortunately, my ex-girlfriend didn't have pictures of the event, but I've thought about it with a rueful shake of my head ever since it happened back in December.

Also, I think the 'ignorance' excuse is thin.

BFD!

EDIT: Just need to clarify the 'incredible' statement. What I mean is that real Nazis wouldn't have tolerated the presence of the other group. Just another example of the horrible irony of this poorly-thought out assembly.

Edited by BFD

Nevertheless, in many Asian societies there is very strong political support for Nazi style ideology, militarism, and it's leader principle. Unfortunately in Thailand there is this support existing.

how is that possible when Thais (and Asians) do not fit into the Nazi concept of a "master race" at all and would most likely have been persecuted?

i can't believe how stupid this school was! it's like they were taking the piss!

Edited by girlx

About 10 years ago I saw some 'Adolf Hitler' brand fire extinguishers in a clinic here, marked "Made in Germany". I contemplated making an offer for them as I am sure they would fetch a pretty penny somewhere, just like the old Darkie Toothpaste.

how is that possible when Thais (and Asians) do not fit into the Nazi concept of a "master race" at all and would most likely have been persecuted?

It's a bit more complicated than just the ideas of an exclusive "master race".

Especially in India the (rather confused) Aryan Race ideologies are very popular as mainstream Indian culture derives also from Aryan cultures. The movement out of which the Nazi party grew was the "Voelkisch" movement, and this movement is more derived from ideologies of ethnic purity than a simplistic master race idea.

Many "mystic" Nazis believed (and still do) in the Shambala ideas, of a secret world government under the Himalayas in Tibet.

Nevertheless, what is attractive to totalitarian and semi totalitarian systems is the strong leader principle, the submission of the individual, racism, ideas of ethnic purity, militarism and the use of nationalist mass organizations. These ideas can be easily translated into other cultures.

Even in Nazi Germany's former bitter enemies you have very strong Nazi movements, such as in modern Russia. And idiotic as it sounds, even Israel had some minor problems recently with a group of anti-semitic Israeli Neo-Nazis, mostly children of Russian Jewish immigrants who could not manage to integrate.

Even in its heyday, Nazi ideology was a confused conglomerate of primitive and/or misunderstood ideas and ideologies, more often than not contradicting each other. Even Hitler's "My Struggle" - if you ever manage to read it (i managed just a few pages) contradicts itself on ever page several times.

What though was not contradictive were the mechanics of the state, the absolutism, and the utterly submissive role of the individual, a racist world view - which makes it very attractive to ethnic based totalitarian systems.

Here in Thailand you have very strong attempts to base its nationalism on (invented) ethnicy, including the propagation of altered and revisionist history and culture.

Expecting one society to observe the taboos of another totally alien to its culture always struck me as somewhat hollow and in reality has probably more to do with paying obeisance to that Western totem of political correctness rather than displaying a genuine respect. But the question still remains, why on earth should these children be expected to honour the memory of the victims of a European holocaust conducted a generation ago by a perverted society with which they have had no connection whatsoever?

What is it about the sanctimony of the West, so complacent in their arrogance, that their wretched history should contain lessons for those of the East who presumably must be grateful forever more for the the instruction. The hypocrisy is really quite overwhelming and in this case particularly ironic when one considers the plight of the Palestinians subjugated by their Jewish oppressors funded by dear old Uncle Sam who from time to time is not adverse to the odd slaughter whenever it suits.

The East owes nothing to the West and frankly any opportunity for the modern youth of Asia to show their contempt for the arrant hypocrisy of so called western values should be seized without hesitation.

The East owes nothing to the West and frankly any opportunity for the modern youth of Asia to show their contempt for the arrant hypocrisy of so called western values should be seized without hesitation.

when it comes to arrant hypocrisy , the east is in a league of its own , the west comes nowhere close , and whilst it could appear arrogant to some that the west demands that the east should uphold our taboos , it does not take an einstein to realise that we can both learn a lot from the serious study of each others history.

it was a tasteless stunt , offensive to many good people , not only jews , both here in thailand and abroad and as such should be publicised widely and apologies should be demanded.

the story of hitlers holocaust and his aggressive warmongering should be required study for history students worldwide for the next 500 years. there is much to learn there.

that this school , and in particular the teacher who dreamt up this ridiculous stunt , should choose to make light of something as sombre and horrifying as the legacy of hitler , and present it to their pupils as a carnival just shows how out of touch with the basics of education they are.

any opportunity for the modern youth of Asia to show their contempt for the arrant hypocrisy of so called western values

let them clean up their own back yard first before taking pot shots at ours.

Edited by taxexile

Perhaps being an apologist for the swastika being a religious symbol will fly, BUT, nazi salutes and storm trooper uniforms are certainly NOT religious oriented. For a teacher and a school to sanction that is not only poor taste but shows a low level of education.

The hypocrisy is really quite overwhelming and in this case particularly ironic when one considers the plight of the Palestinians subjugated by their Jewish oppressors funded by dear old Uncle Sam who from time to time is not adverse to the odd slaughter whenever it suits.

The "Palestinians" were offered their own country to stop fighting many times and they turned it down. They can blame themselves for their situation.

Anyone who supports suicide bombing against innocent men, women and children and refuses to talk peace no matter how good the deal they are offered has brought the "odd slaughter" on themselves. It is called Karma. :o