65% Of Voters Ready To Sell Votes

george

ABAC poll: 65% of respondents ready to sell votes

BANGKOK: -- Attempts by interim Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to eliminate vote-buying during Thailand's upcoming general election are likely to be fruitless as a recent survey shows that two out of three Thais -- 64.6 per cent of the respondents in a new survey -- are quite ready to accept gifts or money in exchange for their votes.

Assumption University ABAC Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said the poll conducted among 3,758 eligible voters aged above 18 in 14 provinces nationwide between October 15 -20 showed that almost 65 per cent of all respondents were willing to accept bribes in exchange for their votes in the December 23 election.

Only of 35.4 per cent of the respondents said they would not accept bribes or favours in exchange for their votes.

Also, the most worrisome result obtained from the survey was that 83 per cent of the respondents said they would not inform the Election Commission or concerned officials on any vote-buying practices even if they had evidence.

Two-thirds -- 66.7 per cent -- said vote-buying in Thailand is now reaching its most critical point ever.

Only 51.9 per cent of the respondents said they would consider both political party policies and the qualifications and personalities of the candidates before casting their ballots, while 28 per cent said they would give preferential attention to the candidates themselves and only 20.1 per cent indicated they would make their decision based on party policy platforms.

--TNA 2007-10-21

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

65% looks on the low side ...... at last local election most of my gf's neighbours bragged they got 700 baht to vote for a candidate. It used to be 500 baht per vote, I guess that inflation is taking a toll on bribery :o

Just looks like a true democracy in action to me - the overwhelming majority of voters are de-facto in favor of allowing corruption to take place. Certainly this sub-group of society should not be considered "victims" of corrupt government.

Agreed. True democracy.

Enough said. Corrupt people deserve a corrupt government.

“Every country has the government it deserves.” Quote from Joseph Marie de Maistre, French diplomat and philosopher, 1753-1821.

--

Maestro

At least they are getting the money up front. In the Uk we are promised everything to vote for the particular party then once elected they dont deliver and renage on all they promised and then we go and vote them in again!! :o

Edited by Tafia

well, it's the very generals which do corrupt thai politics - including more or less violent overthrowing of governments.

of course, the ruling clique would talk against vote buying to give themselves high moral ground and legitimacy, but there is a possibility they are preparing for a election defeat and eventually getting rid of the winning opposition party by invalidating the general election or votes in the constituencies where they are loosing.

the worst is when generals start playing politics - they have to win by any means necessary

Enough said. Corrupt people deserve a corrupt government.

Now do the survey in other countries. :o

I am sure (I know!) there are much more corrupt countries than Thailand. This is a Thai forum. We are discussing Thai politics.

While always being highly sceptical about the results and methods of such polls, whether ABAC's or anyone else's in Thailand, two figures jump up as being interesting for their similarity. The poll apparently finds that nearly the same number of people admit they buy or will buy votes (the honest ones?) as think that vote buying has reached crisis point.

It would be interesting to know if this was the third of the people who say they won't be buying votes plus half the people who are waiting for their dole out from the friendly candidates, in which case it is an interesting finding in human psychology where people know their behaviour is both a source of and primary cause of the societal problems they see around them, but they just can't bring themselves to change their own behaviour. The "if I don't grab it/consume it, someone else will" mentality, common to both Thai and Western society. :o

Or the whole poll could be just a bunch of <deleted> made up in the library by a group of students who couldn't be arsed to get the real answers to the questions. :D

well, it's the very generals which do corrupt thai politics - including more or less violent overthrowing of governments.

of course, the ruling clique would talk against vote buying to give themselves high moral ground and legitimacy, but there is a possibility they are preparing for a election defeat and eventually getting rid of the winning opposition party by invalidating the general election or votes in the constituencies where they are loosing.

the worst is when generals start playing politics - they have to win by any means necessary

This man speaks sence!!!!! Thanks your a like fresh air in a poluted town.

We've come a long, long way since Thailand's least corrupt elections ever in 2001*.

It's obvious that the Thai people's lack of concern as to where their vote goes is symptomatic of the lack of respect the Thai elite and their military lapdogs give the to the votes of the Thai people.

The Thai poor, which is the majority of the population know very well that their vote is de facto meaningless in this coming sham of an election so they will make their vote count the only way it can - financially.

Make no mistake, the coup has set Thailand back 25 years. We are now seeing the effects.

And, why do people continuously make pointless and irrelevant comparisons with or references to the UK every time we have a discussion?

*according to Robert B. Albritton and Thawilwadee Bureekul - Developing Democracy under a New Constitution in Thailand, National Taiwan University and Academia Sinica Asian Barometer Project Office Working Paper Series No. 28, 2004.

I dont consider the reference pointless (albeit tongue in cheek) Im just saying dont consider the way the thais do it so corruptly every country does it the same way only in Thailand the actually get something for their vote, with them being poor who can blame them they will have little or no influence after the election just as so called democratic countries in the west who promise the masses everything then dont deliver at all. DOnt be so blinkered we live in a corrupt world!!

We've come a long, long way since Thailand's least corrupt elections ever in 2001*.

It's obvious that the Thai people's lack of concern as to where their vote goes is symptomatic of the lack of respect the Thai elite and their military lapdogs give the to the votes of the Thai people.

The Thai poor, which is the majority of the population know very well that their vote is de facto meaningless in this coming sham of an election so they will make their vote count the only way it can - financially.

Make no mistake, the coup has set Thailand back 25 years. We are now seeing the effects.

And, why do people continuously make pointless and irrelevant comparisons with or references to the UK every time we have a discussion?

*according to Robert B. Albritton and Thawilwadee Bureekul - Developing Democracy under a New Constitution in Thailand, National Taiwan University and Academia Sinica Asian Barometer Project Office Working Paper Series No. 28, 2004.

:o

...with them being poor who can blame them ...

Poverty is no excuse.

--

Maestro

Vote buying tends to be carried out where parties are weak, with elections centred on candidates rather than parties, and where traditions of patronage are engrained. A number of studies suggest that it is poor people who are most often targeted with offers to buy their votes.

At least they are getting the money up front. In the Uk we are promised everything to vote for the particular party then once elected they dont deliver and renage on all they promised and then we go and vote them in again!! :o

exactly!! I'd have voted more often given the right incentive :D

You seem to forget... august and the referendum : a large number of thais understood very well at that occasion the power they have !

It was a real slap into the face of the generals.

Therefore, I think we can expect in december a lot of "protest vote".

And, the best "protest vote" is of course a vote for the PPP. But that's another story. :o

Endemic bribe taking is only part of the problem.

A. a small cadre of the top judges are designated to appoint roughly 50% of the next slew of legislators.

B. whomever becomes the head honcho will have to be very chummy with the generals - because he'll know how quick and easy it is for the guys with guns to take over.

As with everything else in Thai political shenanigans, #A and #B will necessitate lots of tea money.

Even in the best scenario, the system is geared toward Thailand winding up with corrupt politicians who are rich and willing to buy their way up the ladder.

And, the best "protest vote" is of course a vote for the PPP. But that's another story. :o

If you believe that then you are prety dumb.

I think cclub75 makes an interesting point: Thais who have watched the military raid the treasury, engineer a draconian internal security act, agitate (at tax payers expense) for a constitution that would ensure them more control over the government than they've enjoyed in a long time (the last year being an exception), AND who believe that the most anti-military force in the country is the PPP, could very well support the PPP- for no other reason than to stick it to the generals. (0r, among the more thoughtful, to elect a government that just might legislate limits on military involvement in the state affairs.)

Why is that dumb?

Edited by blaze

And, the best "protest vote" is of course a vote for the PPP. But that's another story. :D

If you believe that then you are prety dumb.

Why is that dumb?

The PPP purposely chose the man as closely linked with Thaksin as possible, This man is basically Thaksin without the economic prowess or desire for health care. Samak is a former Bangkok governor and like Chavalit, he sees his record of being utterly ineffective as a good resume. His very first speech as party leader was a perfect summary of his - and his party's - mentality:

[To corruption investigators] "You smack me and I'll smack you back" (Bangkok Post)

The PPP have stormed the north east of Thailand, shamelessly promoting themselves on their Thaksin connections. The PPP rallies saw supporters holding signs saying "Vote Samak, get Thaksin". Meanwhile the PPP speakers spent their time outlining not policies, not visions for Thailand, not assurances of clean behaviour but a litany of how great Thaksin was and how he was being bullied by the junta. That was it folks, that was all PPP had to offer.

Already internal splits have begun. PP member Chalerm Yoobamrung threatened to take his ball and go home if PPP did not allow his sons to run for election :

"If People Power does not select me and my two sons - Wan and Duang - as Bangkok candidates, I'll be ready to leave the party,The bottom line is that it must accept me and my sons as a package"

Yeh personaly i think if you believe that voting for PPP as a 'protest vote' against the Generals is a good thing then you must be prety dumb, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. :o

Please tell me why you think it would be a good stratagey and you may even be able to change my mind.