The Nightlife Crackdown May Be Upon Us

Indo-Siam

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I received a call this evening from a well-placed individual who is attached to the Ministry of Interior. He advised me that effective this weekend, the long-dreaded "midnight closing" crackdown will take effect for all nightspots in Bangkok outside the officially-designated nightlife zones.

I asked him if this was just election-related posturing - here now, gone tomorrow. He indicated that this was not the case - this was the real thing, and will be here to stay.

I've never before received bad info from this contact - and he sounded rather concerned about what this development would mean for the tourist industry in Bangkok.

I suppose the next few days will reveal the truth - maybe this is just the typical gnashing of teeth?????

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from The Nation today

"Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont yesterday vowed to strictly enforce closing times of night entertainment venues now that the new entertainment zoning law has taken effect.

The Interior Ministry directive designating zones for entertainment venues in Bangkok and the rest of the country took effect on Thursday.

The directive also prescribes the closing times of entertainment places in and outside the zones.

Pracha said the directive designated zones for entertainment places in Bangkok and 49 other provinces, while banning the opening of new entertainment venues in the 26 remaining provinces.

The three designated zones in Bangkok are Silom (including Patpong), Ratchadapisek (including Royal City Avenue) and New Phetchaburi roads.

New entertainment venues will be allowed to open only in designated zones.

Pracha warned that the authorities would check on venues more frequently to ensure that they comply with the closing times now that the directive had taken effect.

Sujarit Pajchimnan, director-general of the Local Administration Department, said the directive defined entertainment venues into five categories, as follows:

lNightclubs and bars inside the zones are allowed to open from 9pm to 2am, while those outside can stay open from 9pm to midnight.

lLounges and teahouses both inside and outside the zones are allowed to open for two periods, from 11am to 2pm and from 6pm to midnight.

lModern massage parlours in the zones are allowed to open from 12 noon to midnight, while those outside the zones can open from 6pm to midnight.

lPubs, discotheques, cafes, restaurants with live bands and cabarets in the zones are allowed to open from 6pm to 1am, while those outside the zones can open from 6pm to midnight.

lRestaurants with live music both inside and outside the zones are allowed to open from 6pm to 1am.

A ministry source said it might designate restaurants that offer recorded music as a new category of entertainment venue, but officials are still considering appropriate opening and closing times for them."

Madness. I know this was discussed by the cabinet some time back but I thought it had gone by the wayside.

Murder and gang rape in Thailand have made the international press this past week or so. With this as well Thailand can say goodbye to many potential tourists.

They don't have a clue here. The tourist authoritoes in neighbouring countries must be delighted.

And most department stores/supermarkets are closing 21.30 or 22.00 already. With most nightlife down at midnight, this is an ugly and unnecessary cut in the quality of life for residents and the value for tourists.

I need to change my somewhat irregular lifestyle to be able to do my shopping.

And most department stores/supermarkets are closing 21.30 or 22.00 already. With most nightlife down at midnight, this is an ugly and unnecessary cut in the quality of life for residents and the value for tourists.

I need to change my somewhat irregular lifestyle to be able to do my shopping and get a beer in before closing time.

Been closing at 12 for the last few months in Chiang Mai and its <deleted>! The only good thing to come out of it is not waking up with a bad head, although you can still get a lock-in, of course.

Wasn't that the minister who wanted the bars to open at 6pm and close at 10pm? Now that would be fun wouldn't it? :o

I think most of the drink/drunkeness problems in the UK are caused by outdated licensing laws where bars etc have to close at 11pm.... people "run" to the pubs and drink as many drinks as they can in the alloted time.... reducing the amount of time people are allowed (in Thailand) to drink will result with the same problems, especially amongst the heavy drinking tourists.... :o

totster :D

Well, this is definitely not good. Looks like I will have to move on to somewhere else. In the meantime, I guess a lot of people will be booking flights on Air Asia to Singapore and KL. Hmmmm, so I guess someone's loss, is someone else's gain

:o

I'm tempted to go out for a beer tonight just to see what happens at soi Cowboy at midnight!

The shopping centre closing caught me out this week. Tried to get to big C and Panthip before work and was severely disappointed. So I went after work and the same thing happened.

Panthip's hours are 11.00 am to 8.00 pm. Why they don't open a few dodgy bars on one of the floors there puzzles me. It could be my perfect 'one stop shop'!!

Chances are, there will still be venues open (eventually). It's just that the ones that open have to pay mucho beaucoup bucks to those upstanding and valuable members of society, the Thai police.

And the ones which are in "special" zones are already owned by police.

So who benefits from this law? The police, naturally! Keystone kops win again! Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

"Steven"

Chances are, there will still be venues open (eventually). It's just that the ones that open have to pay mucho beaucoup bucks to those upstanding and valuable members of society, the Thai police.

So we can expect.. cover charges... higher drinks prices.... :D

totster :o

Positive thinking please!

When I sometimes accompany my wife for shopping I stroll off to other sections

where I buy some gadget or other that I actually don't need.

Just to rush for eggs and vegetables, no need I come along.

Think of the money I can save. :o

Going for a drink? Do it in rush hour, hope they keep happy hours. Then home, no need for shopping. Wow, save again.

No smoking at home. Save Baht, Baht, Baht...

With all the money saved I go once a month to Singapore and can afford the higher prices there, and, yes more fun. My passport stays in the hotel and will not be fleddered. Money saved.

Morality. Final can live a frugal life, find to myself. Sinners repent!

Repent down on your knees. Yes ladies, you too. :D

What's the big deal. I think it's great they start organizing the nightlife a little. There is no need to have a blaring disco or karaoke in the middle of a residential area, this is the kinda of $#!7 that's being cracked down on.

Patpong and other designated areas may even boom as more people will go there when their local pitstops close.

lPubs, discotheques, cafes, restaurants with live bands and cabarets in the zones are allowed to open from 6pm to 1am, while those outside the zones can open from 6pm to midnight.

Can someone put my worries to rest? My GF is about to open a new cafe in Sukhumvit. Are the opening hours governed by the new zoning laws?

If I interpret the above quote, it could either mean ALL cafes, as well as restaurants with live bands, or cafes AND restaurants with live bands....

I'm assuming that the law actually refers to establishments with live bands/cabarets. Is that correct?

cheers

Simon

Well i cant vouch for other venues mentioned but i was in Khao San last night(the Khao san brigade as some people like to call us) I have been living her for nearly 3 years and know many people who work there. The Irish pub above Khao San centre shot at 1am. I haven't been there for a while. But i can usually stay in there till 2.30am. Its crazy! This country has no idea about some things

I think most of the drink/drunkeness problems in the UK are caused by outdated licensing laws where bars etc have to close at 11pm.... people "run" to the pubs and drink as many drinks as they can in the alloted tim

N0, the drink /drunkeness problem in the Uk is due to the yob culture that has developed over the last few years.One can tinker aroun with licensing hours (and I agree this would help to some extent) but the root cause is the disgusting proletarian culture now dominating the UK.If you want a butchers closer to home have a look at the average UK expat living in Pattaya.

In some areas of the uk in order to survive against the cheap prices of the likes of Weatherspoons some clubs are offering stupidly cheap prices and special offers on drinks before pub closing times.In Halifax recently I saw 50p for any drink on thursday nights and the same on friday and saturday before 11pm with a £3 entry charge.Boy were they knocking them back in there.In my area I haven't seen prices like that for many years.Girls were lining up the alcopops like there was no tomorrow and if this is allowed to continue there probably won't be soon for some of them.

What's the big deal. I think it's great they start organizing the nightlife a little. There is no need to have a blaring disco or karaoke in the middle of a residential area, this is the kinda of $#!7 that's being cracked down on.

There is nothing wrong with zoning but the zones should be more realistic. the moment in Bangkok it is Ratchadapisek, so the MPs and their cronies can gat a dodgy massage, New Petchburi ( including RCA), where the MPs' and their cronies' children like to party, and Patpong, where they think all tourists go, even though many of the old bars have become handbag shops. Interesting that most bars in these areas are Thai owned as well.

Sukhumvit and Khao San Road should definitely be zoned, as should just about the whole of Pattaya, Phuket, Samui and other destinations catering almost exclusively for tourists.

Incidentally, there is certainly no sign of enfoecement of the new laws on Sukhumvit tonight.

ya time to split this pop stand,,, need to start a boycotte thailand movement,,,,, with the lions share of gdp comming from tourism,,,,, maybe they'll deciede to be a little more tourist friendly,,, you know how the thais are when it comes to$$$ :o

Sukhumvit and Khao San Road should definitely be zoned, as should just about the whole of Pattaya, Phuket, Samui and other destinations catering almost exclusively for tourists.

Incidentally, there is certainly no sign of enfoecement of the new laws on Sukhumvit tonight.

Most of Pattaya IS already zoned: The area within Beach Road, 3rd Road, Pattaya Nua down to around Theppasit Road + Some of Naklua Road. Now if it could just be enforced so we can get rid of those crappy Thai style open karaoke bars popping up everywhere around the residential areas!

people are so clueless, it's shocking. that's why I don't post on the internet as much as I used to.

the internet is a very powerful media.

I don't think I'm the smartest guy in the world. but it seems to me that many of the changes that have been occurring in thailand started at about the same time that the internet explosion started.

my 2 cents....

every critical remark, every racist comment, every discussion is being read on this forum and many others by people around the world including many in thailand.

constructive criticism is always welcome. but most of the stuff I've been reading does not fall in that category.

when you a##h#les, redn##ks, etc. finish shoving your insults down someone else's throat, what do you think they are going to do?

...still clueless???

then, ask yourself what you would do if someone kept telling you that you are stupid, and useless? how would you feel if someone kept telling you that your country is inferior to theirs? ...and then, you wonder why nationalism is so prevalent here at this time? ...you wonder why taxi drivers shout at you that quote, "THIS IS THAILAND!"

oh? you don't think that thai people know enough english to understand what is posted on these forums? ...is that it?

talk about being stupid...

you b##tards are ruining it for the rest of us.

nuff said.

There is nothing wrong with zoning but the zones should be more realistic. the moment in Bangkok it is Ratchadapisek, so the MPs and their cronies can gat a dodgy massage, New Petchburi ( including RCA), where the MPs' and their cronies' children like to party, and Patpong, where they think all tourists go, even though many of the old bars have become handbag shops. Interesting that most bars in these areas are Thai owned as well.

Well now you are getting closer to the point here. The Patpong family could not have been very happy these past several years with most of the Farang entertainment heading to the Suk area. Just points to where the power lies.