Colour Blind Test

Can anyone advise me?

I need a Thai licence but I am colour blind just in central vision area especially on red/green.

How detailed is the test - is it the coloured dots in a circle test ? - If so I have no chance !!

Can anyone advise me?

I need a Thai licence but I am colour blind just in central vision area especially on red/green.

How detailed is the test - is it the coloured dots in a circle test ? - If so I have no chance !!

Just to clarify - I can see colours ok but those circle of dots with a number hidden in them - what number ? !!!

I don't remember ever being tested on color blindness when I got my Thai driver's license 6 years ago, but I am also red/green color blind and I had driver's license issued in U.S. and Japan too. I can usually tell two or three numbers at the most from the test book with circle dots you mentioned of. I wouldn't worry about it if you previously had a driver's license in any other country.

Yes sorry to tell you it is the test with the dots. I a also red green colour blind but I guess mine is not a severe case. I could answer some of the questions but not others. The nurse may well help you e.g are you sure you can't see a number 6?

You could try getting someone to sit next to you. Or get someone else to do it for you. The thais think we all look the same after all :o

Just what the already chaotic roads of Thailand need....a load of people used to driving on the other side of the road who can't recognise a green light from a red light....and it's the rainy season to boot!

Edited by wilko

Just what the already chaotic roads of Thailand need....a load of people used to driving on the other side of the road who can't recognise a green light from a red light....and it's the rainy season to boot!

I think everyone knows that the top one is red, middle one is yellow and bottom one is green. So what's the issue?

I think everyone knows that the top one is red, middle one is yellow and bottom one is green. So what's the issue?

So you're trying to say that on a rainy night you can work out whether or not the dingy light you're looking at is at the top or bottom of a stack of lights?

While non-color blind people are reacting instinctively to red lights....brakes, traffic, flashing police and road signs, tail-lights and all the other myriad of red and green lights, you are trying to work out whether it is at the top or the bottom of a row of lights that aren'y even on......

please...take a taxi!

Can anyone advise me?

Yes, I'm afraid they do use the Ishihara test for color blindness here in Thailand. I too have great difficulty discerning the numbers on the dotted page. I told them this when I went in for my drivers license here in Chinag Mai, and requested a lantern test. The first guy I spoke with didn't know what I was talking about, but the administrator did. The administrator couldn't find the lantern box and simply checked that I had passed instead. Best of luck to you.

Sometimes there is just an arrow showing red OR green.

Driving with colour blindness is never a problem as you learn to compensate and sometimes pick up colours on peripheral vision. Maybe I could memorise the dot colours and the numbers in them !

I don't think traffic light is much of a problem unless you are completely color blind and see things in black and white. I am also red/green color blind but I can tell green from red (and red from green). You can't distinguish between those colors when all lights are lit, which certainly never happens with the traffic lights.

On the golf course I can't see the red triangular flag on the hole from the distance when it blends in with the color of green in the background. But I can see it's if not against the green background.

Sometimes there is just an arrow showing red OR green.

Exactly.......

This condition is very comment amongst males (something like 1 in 7 males have this condition) and generally doesnt effect your life much. The issue is when these colours are presented together, its difficult to distingush where one colour ends and the other starts.

I too have the condition, my colours are red and blue.

Whilst i can see and recognise red and blue, if you put certain shades of red and blue together it becomes difficult to see where the colours start and end.

I failed the driving colour test, those circles with numbers in them. The guy at the transport office made me do another test using a different method, it was a long time ago but if i remember correctly its just showing you cards with different colours on them and asking you what the colour is.

This condition doesnt make you an unsafe driver, it would make you an unsafe radar opperator though!

• 2 months later...

Depends where you take your test. I took mine in Pattaya and at that time they had the book with the dots. Well i too am red green color blind, and after he flipped through the entire book without me saying anything he asked me don't you see the numbers. I told him I was color blind but can see basic colors such as red, yellow and green. He said no problem.

Now this particular center is using cards of red, yellow, and green as my wife got her license in June.

Barry

Can anyone advise me?

I took the Thai driving test in July and there was quite a comprehensive colour blind test where you were shown many different dot pictures along with an electronic tunnel /side vision test and a reaction test. It looked to me like everybody got the same test so someone could easily memorise it for you, or normally there are little booths just outside the gates (well there is in Korat) where you can get photo copies, passport photo’s, laminating and fake medical certificates, they will normally have a list of all the answers for the Thai written test etc for a small fee, so they might be able to help.

I doubt they will fail you just for that and they will give you more that one attempt I suppose it all depends on where you take the test.

Have I missed somthing?

The idea of a colour test is to keep people off the road who cant distinguish colours ie red green lights.

would you like to be going through a green light when someone cant see a red light at a cross road?

strange people

Also in Chiangmai 2 years ago:

I had my wife sit in the room using a 1 finger for green, 2 for red etc and passed with flying colours. I could not pass the dot test if my life depended on it.

The pereferal test was a lot more difficult as she could not see the light very well but after a bit of himming and haawing I passed. She held my hand and one squeeze for green, 2 for red etc.

i took the test in chiang mai about two weeks ago, and there are in fact two tests for color....

the first is the 'dots' mentioned earlier, but there is also a peripheral vision test in which the applicant must state if the colors on the periphery are red, yellow or green.

Have I missed somthing?

The idea of a colour test is to keep people off the road who cant distinguish colours ie red green lights.

would you like to be going through a green light when someone cant see a red light at a cross road?

strange people

In Thailand a green light doesn't guarantee no other cars coming from out the side road, so it doesn't really matter whether the person coming at you does it because he's colour-blind or just in a hurry ! You're best off not relying too much on the green light either way.

Mike

Have I missed somthing?

strange people

In Thailand a green light doesn't guarantee no other cars coming from out the side road, so it doesn't really matter whether the person coming at you does it because he's colour-blind or just in a hurry ! You're best off not relying too much on the green light either way.

Mike

From my vast experience in driving in Thailand I have found that traffic lights are purely there as a rough guide, When the light turns to red you can still pass through if you are in the first 6 cars (up to 10 if you own a BMW or 15 for a Merc unlimited for bikes) And the green light is only for suckers everyone has a rough idea when it is about to change and sets off a few seconds before to beat the rush.

So being colour blind should not really be a problem, it is far more important to be fearless and carefree and preferably drunk to fit in with the rest of the driving community.

The issue is recognising, at long distances, which of the three is ON when approaching a junction at night at high speed and, also, being able to see the difference between an AHEAD light and a RIGHT light at distance.

I have about the same problem as the OP

It didn't give me any problem in 35 years of driving and 10 years of car racing :o in Europ,US and Australia (honestly only driving in the 2 last mentionned;I am not Jacky Ickx :D (previous F1 racing driver))

Soo how did I pass the test in Thailand

Simple;had a lady not color blind with me.I pretended not speaking englisss .I gave a strange word to the lady who gave the right answer to the servant who showed the colors.

Have I missed somthing?

strange people

Mike

From my vast experience in driving in Thailand I have found that traffic lights are purely there as a rough guide, When the light turns to red you can still pass through if you are in the first 6 cars (up to 10 if you own a BMW or 15 for a Merc unlimited for bikes) And the green light is only for suckers everyone has a rough idea when it is about to change and sets off a few seconds before to beat the rush.

So being colour blind should not really be a problem, it is far more important to be fearless and carefree and preferably drunk to fit in with the rest of the driving community.

If you're colour blind how can you be sure? ?! :o