Thaksin Linked To Wife's Suspect Land Deal Under Investigation

sriracha john

Thaksin 'linked to' land deal

Former premier Thaksin Shinawatra acknowledged the controversial 772-million-baht land deal by giving written permission to his wife, Khunying Potjaman, to buy the 33-rai plot from the Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF) in 2003, a reliable source said yesterday. The evidence includes the ousted prime minister's letter of consent that was sought by the military-appointed assets scrutiny committee to back up its probe, according to the source. Khunying Potjaman is alleged to have bought the land at a price much lower than market value. The panel also suspected that the bidding conditions were manipulated to help her secure the deal. This issue has led to debate about whether or not Mr Thaksin breached Article 100 of the Counter Corruption Act which bars state officials, the prime minister, members of the cabinet and their spouses from entering into or having interests in a contract with a state agency where they have authority to oversee, control, regulate and execute. Article 122 of the same act which stipulates punishment for breaching Article 100 said the officials would not be guilty if they can prove they did not acknowledge or permit the action(s) of their spouse. But this kind of immunity seems to no longer apply to Mr Thaksin, then the premier, as the source close to the issue said Mr Thaksin had submitted his letter of consent to the Land Department one day before the deal was secured by his wife.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/07Nov2006_news01.php

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now this is the kind of paper trail that could probably stand up in court for some sort of conviction that could put him out of politics for a while. Hopefully, that would quiet him down when he returns.

It,s just been on ITV news that the his son has been given a tax demand for 10 billion baht regarding the Shin Corp shares deal to Temasak.

The wheels are now in motion and the accountability is being addressed slowly but surely at last.

It,s enough to bring tears to a glass eye that such a sad thing should happen to the Toxins.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D:D:D

marshbags :o

I can see this turning out to be like Al Cappone.

Everyone knows he is a crook, but nobody will be prepared to stand up and give evidence. He is so tricky behind the scenes that there are many a fall guy who will take the fall.It will be some small (relative) matter that they will convict him on, so everybody saves face. Unfortunately UNlike Cappone ,Teflon Thaksin I do not see in jail!!!!!!!

It,s just been on ITV news that the his son has been given a tax demand for 10 billion baht regarding the Shin Corp shares deal to Temasak.

The wheels are now in motion and the accountability is being addressed slowly but surely at last.

It,s enough to bring tears to a glass eye that such a sad thing should happen to the Toxins.

Panty: Daddy, they want me to pay back 10 billion baht in taxins on the Temasex deal, what am I to do? Sell my Ferraris and my businesses? I could end up driving tuk tuk.Oh sh*t! :D

Takky: Listen sonny, you're cut from the same cloth as your daddy and look where I am today eh. Don't worry, it's all just so much hot air. Remember you're Thai. :D

Podgy: But Takky dahling, that land deal over at Ratchada, you know, the one you signed for, they are investigating that too. Oh dear what's a poor khunying to do these days, so much hassle. Just can't enjoy my Gucci and Prada anymore. May have to sell the TRT building too. :D

Panty: Daddy, they want me to pay back 10 billion baht in taxins on the Temasex deal, what am I to do? Sell my Ferraris and my businesses? I could end up driving tuk tuk.Oh sh*t! :D

Takky: Listen sonny, you're cut from the same cloth as your daddy and look where I am today eh. Don't worry, it's all just so much hot air. Remember you're Thai. :D

Podgy: But Takky dahling, that land deal over at Ratchada, you know, the one you signed for, they are investigating that too. Oh dear what's a poor khunying to do these days, so much hassle. Just can't enjoy my Gucci and Prada anymore. May have to sell the TRT building too. :D

Takky: Now hold on for a second, you know daddy is good for more then a 100 Billion bath.

We will just pay this ridiculous amount of tax and all people happy, you know how it goes in Thailand. We can even use it to our advance by saying we are so generous and made a contribution to the Thai people. Remember I promised to get rid of poverty. Ha ha ha, so are we poor or what?

But Podgy just watch out what you mention about that TRT building deal, they might wanna investigate that one as well. Now shut up and let me tell you about Dagobert Duck, my hero.

Edited by AlexLah

Have anyone heard any news that thaksin elder brother in law was sue by Bangkok bank for his unsettled loan and was declared a bankrupt by the court.
2006 Asset Declarations

Banpot Damapong

(brother-in-law) 19,761,000,000

This one? :o I suppose his nearly 20 B(with a B)illion Baht just doesn't go as far as it once did. :D

Prime Minister Surayud admitted during the question-and-answer session that he once spoke to Thaksin on the telephone after the coup and said the ousted premier "was concerned about his belongings and his family". *apparently in that order... sorry Pojaman... priorities*

- The Nation

Yes indeed. The timing of his signed approval added with all the associated paperwork could prove his undoing.

Sure, just like the paper trail to those who took national park land on Koh Phi Phi and then built their private resorts. Or how about the paper trail on the public lands at Nai Harn on Phuket that became the private lands of a well known MP. Or how about the paper trail on the public land in Mae Rim that became the Four Seasons Resort up in Chiang Mai, the public lands developed privately at Op Luang Gorge, the public lands in Sankhampeng that became Shinawat family lands after the local school head who protested the encroachment was shot in the head. And these are only well known cases and do not include the public lands in my local village that now house a banker and his little resort and countless other cases of paper trails leading to land fraud.

Little will happen to any Shinawat, it is all just smoke and mirrors. So a different clique within the old boys network of the Thai elite now gets the control of the largest piece of the pie. For those who understand Thailand, nothing has changed. What us outsiders think of it all is of no consequence. Get over the coup. If you stay around long enough it won't be the last one. Just be thankful it was bloodless. As for those upset or those who see it as a step backwards for Thailand, perhaps Thailand is not really for you.

Yes indeed. The timing of his signed approval added with all the associated paperwork could prove his undoing.

Sure, just like the paper trail to those who took national park land on Koh Phi Phi and then built their private resorts. Or how about the paper trail on the public lands at Nai Harn on Phuket that became the private lands of a well known MP. Or how about the paper trail on the public land in Mae Rim that became the Four Seasons Resort up in Chiang Mai, the public lands developed privately at Op Luang Gorge, the public lands in Sankhampeng that became Shinawat family lands after the local school head who protested the encroachment was shot in the head. And these are only well known cases and do not include the public lands in my local village that now house a banker and his little resort and countless other cases of paper trails leading to land fraud.

Little will happen to any Shinawat, it is all just smoke and mirrors. So a different clique within the old boys network of the Thai elite now gets the control of the largest piece of the pie. For those who understand Thailand, nothing has changed. What us outsiders think of it all is of no consequence. Get over the coup. If you stay around long enough it won't be the last one. Just be thankful it was bloodless. As for those upset or those who see it as a step backwards for Thailand, perhaps Thailand is not really for you.

Johpa, strong message. I agree that ultimately it will be business as usual (and I really do hope I am wrong on this), but for the next year or so it will not be business as usual. National reconciliation is important to the CNS, hence, given time, they will prove wrongdoings and at the very least seize assets. I do doubt, however, that the former PM will ever see the inside of a jail cell.

Johpa, strong message. I agree that ultimately it will be business as usual (and I really do hope I am wrong on this), but for the next year or so it will not be business as usual. National reconciliation is important to the CNS, hence, given time, they will prove wrongdoings and at the very least seize assets. I do doubt, however, that the former PM will ever see the inside of a jail cell.

If ex-PM General Suchinda who would in most countries would have had to stand trial for mass murder can swan around Bangkok, retain his RBSC membership and hiso credentials, then Thaksin presumably has little to fear.Oh no I forgot Suchinda didn't threaten the Bangkok power structure.Silly me.

Have anyone heard any news that thaksin elder brother in law was sue by Bangkok bank for his unsettled loan and was declared a bankrupt by the court.

Yeah, he was declared to be 5 million Baht in debt to Bangkok Bank. Sounds like he has friends at Bangkok Bank AND in the judiciary.

:o

If ex-PM General Suchinda who would in most countries would have had to stand trial for mass murder can swan around Bangkok, retain his RBSC membership and hiso credentials, then Thaksin presumably has little to fear.Oh no I forgot Suchinda didn't threaten the Bangkok power structure.Silly me.

My comments were ultimately business as usual, which corresponds to your comment relating to Gen. Suchinda (a point I have made in the past). Now, for the next year or so, I don't see business as usual. SJ, could be right, maybe they will fail to find ways to legally seize assets, but it won't be for a lack of trying. Maybe they will only settle that he can come back, but never enter politics again. Who knows?

Forum rules do not allow discussions on the power structure threatened, but it wasn't limited to Bangkok.

As for those upset or those who see it as a step backwards for Thailand, perhaps Thailand is not really for you.

Which then includes a large percentage of Thais as well. I wonder where they will go then, having found out that their own country is not really for them... :o

I do agree with most of your post. A few things though might be a bit different than in previous times. Some parameters did change even in Thailand. Previously the opposition of the coups was mainly urban based, while today most of the opposition actually is upcountry. This is a somewhat unknown factor - will they just suffer and get over their frustrations, or will they do something about it in the future? Certain leaders, and not just TRT and their affiliates, are definately plotting.

So far it has been bloodless, but i fear that the last word has not been spoken yet.

As for those upset or those who see it as a step backwards for Thailand, perhaps Thailand is not really for you.

Which then includes a large percentage of Thais as well. I wonder where they will go then, having found out that their own country is not really for them... :o

I do agree with most of your post. A few things though might be a bit different than in previous times. Some parameters did change even in Thailand. Previously the opposition of the coups was mainly urban based, while today most of the opposition actually is upcountry. This is a somewhat unknown factor - will they just suffer and get over their frustrations, or will they do something about it in the future? Certain leaders, and not just TRT and their affiliates, are definately plotting.

So far it has been bloodless, but i fear that the last word has not been spoken yet.

Ah, Mr Doomsday speaks again! So much fear, so much to worry about, it used to be the urban lawless wastelands of Samut Prakarn where society was on the brink of collapse, now it's the rural folk who are apparently poised to rise up.

The 30 baht scheme is now free, the village fund is still intact, the lottery still has the jackpot. The only cloud so far has been the drop in the price of rice, artificially boosted by Thaksin for popular support in recent times.

Of course there's plotting, there's plotting to join old friends in old parties and new. All the familiar faces will reappear barring Thaksin and his entourage.

Mr Sanoh, Mr Prachai (new but old), Banharn, Somsak, Chaturon, Sanan, Aphisit, etc, welcome back to the show that never ends.

well, well... his wife is under investigation, his kids have been saddled with a huge fine for tax evasion, so it's only fitting that his sister undergo an investigation into her "abnormal wealth":

thaksis.jpgthaksis2.jpg

Democrats urge probe of Thaksin's sister

The deputy leader of the Democrat Party, Mr Alongkorn Polbutr is preparing to submit documents to the Assets Examination Committee to investigate what he alleged was the "abnormal wealth" of the sister of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Democrat deputy leader Alongkorn Polbutr will submit documents to the Assets Examination Committee to request an investigation into the abnormal wealth of Yaowapa Wongsawat, Mr Thaksin's younger sister.

Mr Alongkorn said he had reason to believe Ms Yaowapa hid assets from the state, and transferred them to her three children and Ms Sunisa Pathompong, the younger sister of a minister in the Thaksin administration.

Morever, Ms Yaowapa held stocks, and property in the Shinnichaville project worth over 256 million baht. Ms Yaowapa also purchased the Garden City Lagoon project from the Thai Property company while her three children owned stocks in four companies worth more than 1 billion baht, even though they are still students. "gee, Mom...that's a lot of milk money for school" :o

Mr Alongkorn concluded that there was much supporting evidence to believe the Thaksin administration was involved in corruption.

- Thaisnews

thaksis3.jpgthaksis4.jpg

thaksis5.jpg

Thaksin's sister targetted

Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr will tomorrow petition for the launch of a graft investigation into Yaowapha Wongsawat, former MP and sister of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

"I suspect Yaowapha amassed unusual wealth while in her elected office," Alongkorn said yesterday at a press conference.

He said he wanted the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) to look into Yaowapha's involvement in the Chinnicha Ville housing estate.

The NCCC should start by examining Yaowapha's assets statement, which might have been doctored to conceal ill-gotten gains stashed away in nominees' accounts, he said.

Yaowapha's nominees include her three children - Yosanan, Chinnicha and Chayapha - and a close aide, Sunisa Pathompreuk nee Wejchai, he added.

The NCCC might proceed to examine the composition of equity stakes in the holding company of the housing estate, the Bt256-million transaction for the plot to be developed and the Bt1-billion deal to merge four companies before kicking off the project, he said.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Investigating corruption is a huge task

The proverbial garbage is being swept from under the rug after the Sept 19 coup against the Thaksin government. The interim government of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has ordered investigations into several corruption scandals. We wonder whether the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) and the Assets Investigation Committee (AIC) are fully equipped for this gigantic task. Great effort is needed to unearth alleged corruption linked to the construction of the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport, the rubber-planting projects in the North and Northeast, the longan mortgage scheme, the Ua-Arthorn cheap housing projects for the poor and the purchase of land plots by the wife of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. More manpower will also be spent to find the abductors of human rights lawyer Somchai Neelapaijit. These corruption cases prove that political power can be abused for personal gain if the checks-and-balance mechanisms do not function effectively. If people cast their votes in a national election without looking closely into the backgrounds of candidates, it will create a vicious cycle of money politics, power abuse and corruption. There will be no change if civil servants and independent organisations are dominated by politicians. We will have to wait for corrupt politicians to lose their power and then look for the skeletons in their cupboards. The writers of the new constitution must impose harsh penalties against civil servants who turn a blind eye to political corruption.

- Thai Rath Editorial

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Nov2006_news25.php

Edited by sriracha john