Trump hugs children, serves food in visit to victims of Harvey

rooster59

Trump hugs children, serves food in visit to victims of Harvey

By Steve Holland

640x640.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump helps volunteers hand out meals during a visit with flood survivors of Hurricane Harvey at a relief center in Houston, Texas, U.S., September 2, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

HOUSTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump flew to Houston on Saturday to meet with victims of Hurricane Harvey and see the effects of the record-setting storm while he presses for a multi-billion-dollar aid package.

Trump, facing the first natural disaster of his administration, was joined by his wife, Melania, as he passed out food and hugged, kissed and played with children at Houston's NRG Center, a 700,000-square-foot (65,000 square meter) facility that is now the city's largest emergency shelter.

Trump, who is making his second trip to the stricken state this week, asked Congress late on Friday for an initial $7.85 billion for hurricane recovery efforts. The request comes as Washington faces tough budget negotiations.

Trump told reporters at the center that his administration was moving fast to provide the financing for aid to the devastated region.

"We are signing a lot of documents to get money," he said.

Trump appeared relaxed as he posed for photographs with volunteers and chatted with those relocated to the shelter alongside Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

Melania, the sleeves of her blue denim shirt rolled up, hugged a woman and chatted with a child.

"It has been a wonderful thing," Trump said of his meetings with the children as he helped serve food to evacuees amid shouts of "Thank you, sir."

Trump's visit came after a week of historic flooding in the area that killed at least 40 people, displaced more than 1 million and dumped as much as 50 inches (127 cm) of rain in some areas.

The trip may have political implications for Trump, who was criticized for not meeting with victims and not showing more empathy on his first trip to Texas on Tuesday.

Trump stayed clear of the disaster zone earlier this week, saying he did not want to hamper rescue efforts. Instead, he met with Cabinet members, state and local leaders and first responders in the state capital Austin and Corpus Christi, where Harvey first hit, focusing on the logistics of the government response.

"That was reasonable criticism," said Matt Mackowiak, chairman of the Republican Party in Travis County, Texas, who has praised the Trump administration’s handling of the disaster.

According to the Reuters/Ipsos tracking poll, almost 59 percent of the public disapproves of Trump’s performance as president.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-03

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Credo said:

He is not really capable of being nice.   This, along with many of his other 'humanitarian' actions seem very contrived.   

Watching him 'help' people adds new meaning to the word FAKE.    

Pathetic response!!!    You are the one who should open your heart a little, make that a LOT, and realize just what impact his serving food will have on people who are suffering because of a natural disaster.

You are so consumed by hate that you are incapable of seeing beyond it, or seeing any good at all, and that is a tragic way to live your life.  Realize that the only person you hurt is yourself.

Edited by F4UCorsair

56 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Pathetic response!!!    You are the one who should open your heart a little, make that a LOT, and realize just what impact his serving food will have on people who are suffering because of a natural disaster.

You are so consumed by hate that you are incapable of seeing beyond it, or seeing any good at all, and that is a tragic way to live your life.  Realize that the only person you hurt is yourself.

You know nothing about me.  

I do know a little about DT, and he does not see the people he is serving.   He only sees who is paying attention to him.   

8 minutes ago, Credo said:

I do know a little about DT, and he does not see the people he is serving.   He only sees who is paying attention to him.   

As much as I despise Trump, we should only judge a man by his actions because we really do not know his intentions. I think many days I have smacked my head in disgust but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with him being out there and helping a bit, even if just to become more aware of the real America.

21 minutes ago, Credo said:

I know enough to realize that you are one of the most negative posters on TV, and it's doing no one any harm but you.

It wouldn't matter if Trump evolved to be Jesus Christ incarnate, you'd be finding fault, but that's you.   

Reference your second paragraph,  is Trump different from ANY other politician in the world??  It's all about appearances.

The liar in chiefs record of giving to charities is less than stellar.

President Donald Trump, a billionaire who while campaigning bragged that he was "really rich," announced Thursday that he would donate $1 million to relief efforts after Hurricane Harvey slammed Texas and Louisiana this week. But according to Tony Schwartz, the man who ghost-wrote Trump's 1987 book, The Art of the Deal, that's not going to happen.

Last year, Washington Post reporter David Fahrenthold won a Pulitzer Prize for investigating Trump's philanthropy. Fahrenthold began by looking into Trump's January 2016 claim that he'd given $6 million to veterans' groups, and then the journalist broadened his probe. Ultimately, Fahrenthold found $7.8 million in charitable giving from Trump's personal accounts since the '80s, even though he bragged about donating "tens of millions of dollars...to charitable causes."

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-hurricane-harvey-donation-no-way-658367

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

He is doing a terrific job with building up Houston's moral after the floods. 

Scrounging for ratings points, would be more apt terminology, given his statements from the past few weeks.

Edited by Meljames

1 hour ago, Credo said:

You are correct, sir.  Trump only cares about his personal wealth, and his public ratings.   His antics here fall into the second category.   Although creating his stupid hats and selling them for 40 dollars qualifies for the first category.  ALL of his public antics are contrived. 

18 minutes ago, RobFord said:

The liar in chiefs record of giving to charities is less than stellar.

President Donald Trump, a billionaire who while campaigning bragged that he was "really rich," announced Thursday that he would donate $1 million to relief efforts after Hurricane Harvey slammed Texas and Louisiana this week. But according to Tony Schwartz, the man who ghost-wrote Trump's 1987 book, The Art of the Deal, that's not going to happen.

Last year, Washington Post reporter David Fahrenthold won a Pulitzer Prize for investigating Trump's philanthropy. Fahrenthold began by looking into Trump's January 2016 claim that he'd given $6 million to veterans' groups, and then the journalist broadened his probe. Ultimately, Fahrenthold found $7.8 million in charitable giving from Trump's personal accounts since the '80s, even though he bragged about donating "tens of millions of dollars...to charitable causes."

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-hurricane-harvey-donation-no-way-658367

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think you're being very unfair to Trump. He is an extremely compassionate man. In fact, so compassionate that this charity even extends to billionaires. Or at least to one billionaire.  Several times that great and good man's charity actually donated funds to Donald Trump. I mean, if you don't feel sorry for yourself, who will?

Donny John must think this aftermath is no big deal and everyone should just enjoy themselves. Heck it is one big party! The turnout was yuge!

Trump told Hurricane Harvey survivors to ‘have a good time’ while visiting shelter

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-told-hurricane-harvey-survivors-to-have-a-good-time-while-visiting-shelter-2017-9

And as he was leaving the NRG Center, Trump told survivors to "have a good time."

This is good theatre. Actually too good for Donald. It seems for a change, maybe he is actually listening to advice, from his advisors? This is very, very unusual behavior from this man. Perhaps Kelly is slapping him around after all. 

My guess is that it is actually quite painful for Donny and Mel to be mixing it up with commoners. I wonder if she wore her stilettos to the shelter. Much less handing them food. But, heaven knows he does need some good PR for a change. 

3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

The problem is that it all seems so manufactured - he stayed clear of the human reality of the disaster during his first visit, and it would appear to those cynics amongst (of which I am one) that this is a hastily organised photo-op to try to address the negative criticism he received.

" The president seemed to be trying his hardest to put on the empathizer-in-chief hat and said that the people he met on the ground “were just happy.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/09/02/trump_gets_a_chance_at_a_harvey_do_over_we_saw_a_lot_of_happiness.html

Next time, Trump & Melania, & Ivanka, and Baron , all Trump family members .. could share these meals with the people on the pictures, maybe also try to figure out what it's like to live this tragedy ,

to realize what it means to be compassionate

Donald Trump is pictured. | AP Photo

Edited by Opl

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

"You are so consumed by hate that you are incapable of seeing beyond it,...."

Well let's get back to the fundamentals; 'who generated these feelings', easy answer Trump.

Let's hope that the many good folks affected get back home and get their lives back to normal as quickly as possible. 

He has learned from George W's mistake, when he was painfully slow off the mark responding to Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. 

Smart move to ask for billions of dollars in aid. If it doesn't materialise it will be the fault of those on Capitol Hill.

DJT seems to have mellowed following the departure of Bannon.

1 minute ago, champers said:

He has learned from George W's mistake, when he was painfully slow off the mark responding to Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. 

Smart move to ask for billions of dollars in aid. If it doesn't materialise it will be the fault of those on Capitol Hill.

DJT seems to have mellowed following the departure of Bannon.

Well, it will materialize because those far left liberal snowflakes, unlike their conservative Republican counterparts, recognize that as a citizen of the united states, no matter where you live, if you're in a massive disaster, you deserve Federal help. 

As President of the United States -this is what he should be doing.  This is part of a President's job description. Now, let us see him approve allowing the 'Dreamers' remain in the US and sign off on the immigrant paroles. Trump needs to show me that he has changed his attitude by acting like a President from now on instead of providing demeaning statements about everything.

2 hours ago, champers said:

I'll give him that much. It's all coming off looking contrived but it does keep things focused on Houston and getting things back to normal down there. 

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The problem is that it all seems so manufactured - he stayed clear of the human reality of the disaster during his first visit, and it would appear to those cynics amongst (of which I am one) that this is a hastily organised photo-op to try to address the negative criticism he received.

Negative....negative....negative!!!   To some, there will never be a positive.  Sad lives.

Edited by F4UCorsair

8 hours ago, Credo said:

He is not really capable of being nice.   This, along with many of his other 'humanitarian' actions seem very contrived.   

Watching him 'help' people adds new meaning to the word FAKE.    

really??

20526341_1895582430766962_8349372666051663971_n.jpg

13 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

really??

20526341_1895582430766962_8349372666051663971_n.jpg

sirmud, there are those who will say this is fake news, a set up, a fraud, because there are some where who are so poisoned against Trump, that they will never see any good.  They lead sad lives.

Interestingly, he hasn't tried to make mileage from this, but he's still the devil in democrats eyes.

Edited by F4UCorsair

18 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:
18 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

really??

Good story anyway;  

from Snopes....

FALSE

ORIGIN

An anecdote about Donald Trump, Tower Air, and stranded Gulf War soldiers appeared from the ether in February 2016.  The story, attributed to a veteran named “Ron Knouse,” held that Trump stepped in with his airline (Tower Air, according to this story) to aid soldiers during that conflict when the military failed to do right by them, and seemed to originate from a web site called The Trump Times.

Tower Air went out of business in 2000, and we could find no evidence linking Trump to the company in any capacity during its operational years. A December 1994 New York Times article (about an incident of vandalism at John F. Kennedy Airport) named former El Al marketing official Morris K. Nachtomi as the airline’s CEO and founder:

http://www.snopes.com/trump-tower-air/

Edited by Meljames