Can I do volunteer work In Thailand

My take is they are looking for Thai volunteers.

As an expat you would need a Non Immigrant visa so you could get a WP.

All other types of visa, tourist visa single or multi entry are issued with the condition that you will not perform any work.

Only the organisation can tell you what they can do for you ref' visa and WP.

My take is they are looking for Thai volunteers.
As an expat you would need a Non Immigrant visa so you could get a WP.
All other types of visa, tourist visa single or multi entry are issued with the condition that you will not perform any work.
Only the organisation can tell you what they can do for you ref' visa and WP.
One of the members is on This Thread about them helping in a pattaya prision. She says to to another poster that they can help.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/998036-Prisoners-in-Pattaya-Soi-9-jail-praise-farang-‘heroes’-for-unblocking-their-toilet

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, connda said:

The Thai government makes it about as difficult as they can for individuals such as you and I who would willing volunteer to make life better for Thai citizens.  Makes no sense, but it is the way it is.  I attempted to obtain of work permit to independently volunteer (totally free) to teach English to students in my Amphur considering I'm TESOL certified and have about 7 years of teaching experience, but I'm now retired.  No one from the school administration to the government officials at the MoL were interested in providing a path forward.  The school admins were just like, "No problem, you just come teach.", but of course, it isn't their butts on the line to get fined, jailed, and tossed out of the country for 'working' without a work permit.  
As the old saying goes, "Let no good deed go unpunished."  That exemplifies trying to volunteer in Thailand. 

Fair comments and summary.

I know an elderly British couple who came to Thailand. He had been offered a good consultant role with a large company. She started doing voluntary work. After a year he wanted to retire and they both wanted to stay here and do voluntary work. But whereas before the company had sorted all the paperwork out they were now on their own. It all got so complicated they decided too much trouble and went back to Europe.

Working without a WP is indeed a big risk. All's fine until you accidentally upset someone or make them loose face. The spite kicks in, a complaint is made and your right in it. And watch all those nice new "friends" suddenly disappear. Seem it happen more than once.

• Thanks 2

Op there are plenty of volunteering posts for Thailand on the web do a search a lot will help you sort out the WP which i would expect not to be to much hassle anyway as you would get a Non o based on volunteering. Dont let a few doom and gloom merchants put you off.

Edited by jeab1980

Why not call the English Leader (for preschool)? Surly she can tell you the best info. 

Margaret Grainger <removed> <contact by PM for the phone number>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed phone number (not allowed see the forum rules)

17 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

I also found the need to volunteer. After discovering that volunteering to help Thai students learn English was not permitted, I found another outlet for my need to give back. Each morning I walk the beach picking up trash. I am totally surprised at how satisfying and rewarding it is. The positive feedback from Thais I encounter is reward enough. Having the beach near my home clean is pretty rewarding too. 

Novel that we can pick up trash in our local communities, and for at least this time, not worry about having a WP.  Thai take pictures of the farang picking up litter, posts it on social media, and you get public support for your activities.  My guess is that the MoL doesn't want to rock that particular apple cart.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Many of those 'volunteer' jobs are working for a supportive 'non-profit' that will want you to pay considerable amounts of money to be a volunteer.  Imho, these are all scams to enrich those who run the 'non-profit'.  Know the difference.  Volunteering means that you are giving freely of your time; not paying someone to put you to work for their benefit.  

There are many out there pure voluntary no money paid iether way Google it you will see loads.

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Novel that we can pick up trash in our local communities, and for at least this time, not worry about having a WP.  Thai take pictures of the farang picking up litter, posts it on social media, and you get public support for your activities.  My guess is that the MoL doesn't want to rock that particular apple cart.  

at least not for the time being..... The paranoia keeps growing in this country, so I would stay off any activity that could be interpreted as work, particularly if performed in public.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, juice777 said:

Looks like I will have to forget about that then. I need something to do, I am a bit bored. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

take up some sports if your bored 

Edited by catman20

I went to Cambodia in May to do voluntary work and found none available till August because of a huge influx of students from Hong Kong doing placements. I ended up doing a paid teaching job at an 'international' school teaching the children of upper middle class Cambodians. This was no where near as rewarding as assisting the poor learn English although it did give me something to do with my time.

A lot of money is spent in Cambodia placing foreigners in positions with aid organisations on high salaries and other perks rather than training up locals to play the same roles for a fraction of the price. Yet a well qualified volunteer prepared to devote many months to a task has difficulty finding a suitable role.

I speak quite a bit of Thai and would love to do volunteer work in that country but have always got the impression that there are too many hoops through which you have to jump. There should be an easier way for people to volunteer their services without having to get a visa to work in the country.

• Sad 1

The two Pattaya based expat clubs, which can be searched for on Google, are good places to meet people for things to do to help fill the time void.

I have avoid the hassle of volunteering here and do so 4 times a year, in nearby Cambodia at a rural , non-government, not-for-profit, English language school.  There, I am embraced and appreciate the opportunity to help as I can.

If you are near Kampong Speu Province (1.5 hours south of Phnom Penh), let me know and I can introduce you to the school. We have a webpage.  Good luck my friend.

Edited by Benmart

48 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I suppose it's a matter of face - no-one wants to admit a falang might have a better skill set.

I suppose it also depends on the skill sets of those volunteering.

I know people (foreigners) over here that if asked what size of spanner they needed would just answer big, because they were going to use it as a hammer anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spock said:

I went to Cambodia in May to do voluntary work and found none available till August because of a huge influx of students from Hong Kong doing placements. I ended up doing a paid teaching job at an 'international' school teaching the children of upper middle class Cambodians. This was no where near as rewarding as assisting the poor learn English although it did give me something to do with my time.

A lot of money is spent in Cambodia placing foreigners in positions with aid organisations on high salaries and other perks rather than training up locals to play the same roles for a fraction of the price. Yet a well qualified volunteer prepared to devote many months to a task has difficulty finding a suitable role.

I speak quite a bit of Thai and would love to do volunteer work in that country but have always got the impression that there are too many hoops through which you have to jump. There should be an easier way for people to volunteer their services without having to get a visa to work in the country.

If you ever go back and wish volunteer at a rural, non-government, not-for-profit, non-language-factory type school, PM me. It is 1.5 miles south of PP, in Kampong Speu Province. PM me and I can provide the webpage and additional info. I return there Sep 14th.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Work is something you get paid for. Help is something you give/donate for free.

Work should require a visa, help should not and be received with gratitude. 

I agree. The gratitude factor for the officials seems to lost somewhere between the approach to the BKK airport and actual landing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benmart said:

If you ever go back and wish volunteer at a rural, non-government, not-for-profit, non-language-factory type school, PM me. It is 1.5 miles south of PP, in Kampong Speu Province. PM me and I can provide the webpage and additional info. I return there Sep 14th.

Do they supply free Accommodation? Can you send me there web page please

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

It does baffle me how the Thai government ignores a huge resource of knowledge right under its nose; i.e. retirees living here. There's probably plenty like me who would be happy to donate a couple of hours a week to a good cause.

I suppose it's a matter of face - no-one wants to admit a falang might have a better skill set.

For example, I'm  sure I could teach driving better than most Thai driving instructors. With a record of 40 years accident-free on Australian roads, and 9 years on Thai roads, I think I have the defensive driving skills.

So true. Untapped resources for so many professions are all around the blind world of officialdom. Another reason I  do my service in nearby Cambodia. There, the teacher's dorm is finished and now the playground construction begins.