Precautions underway against Bangkok flooding

webfact

Precautions underway against Bangkok flooding

By The Nation

7d77e3d879a7600075b9cc9d905ddc19-sld.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Residents of Bangkok’s Song Wad Road alongside the Chao Phraya River were on Monday moving their belongings to safety as city workers and volunteers piled sandbags in anticipation of flooding. 

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration had earlier warned that swollen river current from the North would reach the capital between September 4 and 8 at the same time as the seasonal inflow of seawater.

Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang last Thursday ordered officials to closely monitor the situation and advised riverside residents in Bangkok who were not protected by the Chao Phraya, Khlong Bangkok Noi or Khlong Mahasawat flood barriers to brace for inundation. 

That warning applies to 496 households in 10 districts – Bang Sue, Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Samphanthawong, Bang Kho Laem, Yannawa, Bangkok Noi, Khlong Toei, Khlong San and Rat Burana.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30325718

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-04

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It seems this is a known trouble spot... how hard would it be to build something permanent there. Is it that hard to spend some money and heighten and strengthen the banks over there.

Purchasing submarines and missiles comes first.........:coffee1:

2 hours ago, robblok said:

It seems this is a known trouble spot... how hard would it be to build something permanent there. Is it that hard to spend some money and heighten and strengthen the banks over there.

True, but we need the submarines more, so flood victims will just have to wait another year...or two...or....

38 minutes ago, hobobo said:

True, but we need the submarines more, so flood victims will just have to wait another year...or two...or....

Subs come from a different part of the budget, this would be BMA stuff. Anyway its just strange that known problem points are not upgraded.

I have a solution.....if every resident of Bangkok put out 2 buckets to catch the rain then it would stop the flash flooding when there is very heavy rain. That would be over 35 million buckets. Thats a lot of water not flowing on the streets and good rainwater to drink !  Should I tell the Government ??  Sounds better than some of their ideas !

13 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

I have a solution.....if every resident of Bangkok put out 2 buckets to catch the rain then it would stop the flash flooding when there is very heavy rain. That would be over 35 million buckets. Thats a lot of water not flowing on the streets and good rainwater to drink !  Should I tell the Government ??  Sounds better than some of their ideas !

I am afraid, you donot have the faintest idea, how much water falls down during such am event.

35 million buckets of 10 ltr = of a 350.000 tons.

Bangkok gets a 1500 mm rainfall per year. 

a 33 x 33 km area = smaller as Bangkok  * 0,10 cm rainfall = 1000 sqkm or 100.000.000 m3 mtr.  Your 35 million buckets = 1/285th of just that rainfall.  So, close to nothing...

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Subs come from a different part of the budget, this would be BMA stuff. Anyway its just strange that known problem points are not upgraded.

Whether it leverages the rice farmers or wannabe submariners, a boondoggle is still a boondoggle.

39 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

I am afraid, you donot have the faintest idea, how much water falls down during such am event.

a 33 x 33 km area = smaller as Bangkok  * 0,10 cm rainfall = 1000 sqkm or 100.000.000 m3 mtr.  Your 35 million buckets = 1/285th of just that rainfall.  So, close to nothing...

776.jpg.1bf5d108d1a3b5890f1d998bd9b637fb.jpg

21 minutes ago, Winkburn said:

No It must be Donald Trumps fault

Donald wants to close down the government if he doesn't get money for the wall he promised that Mexico would pay for, whatever the consequences for flooding victims in Texas. 

Speaking of predictable events, storms and flooding along the US Gulf Coast are fairly regular occurrences, but it seems every time they happen everyone is taken by surprise and vastly unprepared.

Edited by Suradit69

They built a flood protection wall not far from me but one property owner said he didn't want it adjacent to his property so they missed him out and there is a gaping hole in the flood defense. It just boggles the mind.

I know a guy who had a wall around his house so flt secure. Unbeknownst to him when True ran his TV/Internet cable they drilled a hole through his wall and did not seal the hole. He woke up to 1m of water in his yard just like everyone else! 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Are you serious ? why spend money to build a permanent structure, it might not rain next year. Waste of money then huh.

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

But there are 365 days in a year so really only need 285/365 x 35 million = 27.33 million buckets.

8 hours ago, jaiyen said:

No, don't tell the Government because your incorrect arithmetic or understanding of the demographics would backfire on you. It would take 5 buckets each to collect 35 million because the population of Bangkok is approximately 7 million, not 17,500 as your calculations indicate. Interesting idea though. 

13 hours ago, robblok said:

You're talking about spending hard cash ????

God damn man this is Thailand, hard cash goes in the pocket and stays there, flood defenses at best are as you see in the pic. sandbags & at a stretch pumps !!!!!

11 hours ago, jaiyen said:

funny you should say that reminds me of home the councils stopped people in towns and cities from having rain water tanks their reason being people would start disconnecting from town water witch meant they would not be able to charge those people water rates, that has changed a little people are now allowed to have small tanks

16 hours ago, robblok said:

but but but who would the sand bagger sell his baged sand to then ?

20 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Donald wants to close down the government if he doesn't get money for the wall he promised that Mexico would pay for, whatever the consequences for flooding victims in Texas. 

Speaking of predictable events, storms and flooding along the US Gulf Coast are fairly regular occurrences, but it seems every time they happen everyone is taken by surprise and vastly unprepared.

They are happening more frequently. Something to do with something Al Gore invented... or was that the internet?

The horrible Catch-22 that a lot of US gulf coast homeowners fall victim to is overlooking home insurance renewal and the all important flood coverage. Even closing on a new home purchase during hurricane season may be imperiled if there's no insurance in place at the time of closing. There's the added difficulty of renewing lapsed coverage during the hurricane season (typically June 1 through November 30) as the purchasing/renewal window closes when a named storm is announced and only re-opens (I think) 30 days after the last named storm event has passed. In an active hurricane season, the risk of remaining uninsured (uninsurable) for the whole season +30 days is a real danger.

21 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

They built a flood protection wall not far from me but one property owner said he didn't want it adjacent to his property so they missed him out and there is a gaping hole in the flood defense. It just boggles the mind.

I know a guy who had a wall around his house so flt secure. Unbeknownst to him when True ran his TV/Internet cable they drilled a hole through his wall and did not seal the hole. He woke up to 1m of water in his yard just like everyone else! 

On one of our earlier farming (mis)adventures, after 2 years of low-level seasonal flooding on our riverside 27 rai, we hired a back hoe and two tipper trucks and spent a week building up 3 meter high berms on the 3 sides facing the river to the west, south and east. Cost a tad under 200,00 baht but we had a wonderful dry plot for a whole year. The following April (and unbeknownst to us at the time), the temple on the north side of our peninsula sold a whole lot of land fill from their grounds, right up to the river bank. When rainy season kicked in, the berms worked great but the river flooded the arse end of the temple property and in turn flooded our land from the landward side. Father-in-law was wondering why all the bloody water was coming from the north and only in hindsight did he twig to what all those tipper trucks were doing over at the temple 6 months earlier!

Edited by NanLaew