janclaes47

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Personally I expect to upgrade any TV (and computer) after 2/3 years as technology races on. Can't blame LG if your own guys install a part as warranty is invalid and that's standard practice. You can buy a 60 inch LED far superior TV to your Plasma for 30,000.

My thoughts exactly, with many more features, Internet ready, Ultra High Definition etc et etc, 1/3rd the weight, fraction of the cost.............I would donate them to a school, they get considerable discounts on repairs  and buy new televisions.

I had a 50" LG plasma, where the main board stopped working. It's a common error on both LG and Samsung plasmas, that condensers in the main board's power supply are too small and die after some time. Authorized repair – i.e. replacement of the main board – would cost 500 baht less than a new LG 50" LED TV on bargain sale...:whistling:

I could order condensers and replace them myself – have a bit background in electronics, today service engineers mainly change whole boards only – and hope nothing else on the board was taken town when the condensers died; but would that really be worth it...:crying:

I decided to save more than 500 baht, so I bought a new energy-saving LED TV, and I'm very happy to pay an about 500+ baht smaller bill every month for electric consumption...:smile:

OP, I don't think it's worth considering repairing old plasma TVs, new 50-60" LED's with similar functionalities – i.e. not the latest brand new next-year's model – can be picked up for a very reasonable prices, including full warranty...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

I love the picture on my LG plasmas. I have a 42 and a 50. MaInboard on the 42 is 4500 or so installed. Surprised the 50 is so expensive.

The price to change the board for the 50" is 2500 Baht + 1800 service charge, but my local technician does it for a 500 Baht service charge.

I don't need the 90 days warranty that comes with the LG service charge, because if the board works when it arrive, it will also work the next 90 days.

I only don't want to run the risk of receiving a board that is DOA, and these things happen, because many things can happen during transportation and I'm even not sure if every PCB get checked before it leaves the factory.

5 hours ago, elnet1 said:

I used to be an authorized electronic repair dealer. The logic behind the customer not getting any warranty on parts, not even 7 day DOA, is that the customer may unintentionally damage the motherboard or electronic part just by static discharge alone.

This actually does make some sense. Do you if all major manufacturers refuse to give any warranty for PCBs or is it just LG?

7 hours ago, wump said:

This actually does make some sense. Do you if all major manufacturers refuse to give any warranty for PCBs or is it just LG?

All manufacturers further limit warrantees for PCB and other ancillary parts by limiting availability of parts to "authorized dealers" to prevent small businesses from selling the parts as well as repair manuals to the end user, its just too much of a pain in the ass. And its difficult to become authorized by a mfg, also, I would get people dragging in machines from other mfg, but I would refuse as I couldn't get the parts; if I was not authorized. And if its not a big selling machine, the mfg might have ended support already, so they don't want the customer knowing that they can't get parts for their "expensive" machine. I've had it where I call the mfg, and they say, that is at the end of its life cycle, offer the customer a refurb or remmaned model of same or "similar" model

Although unrelated, here is a guide from Apple that shows typical manufacturer's criteria for reimbursing or authorizing repairs as to what is covered and what is not. Like for example, I had a customer that modified his machine and then wanted repairs under warranty. I contacted the mfg and they refused to supply parts and voided the rest of his warranty, I reluctantly called the customer and of course the customer was not happy.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/04/apple-leaked-warranty-repair-guide/

apple-genius-vmi-2017-09-04-01.jpg

13 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The price to change the board for the 50" is 2500 Baht + 1800 service charge, but my local technician does it for a 500 Baht service charge.

I don't need the 90 days warranty that comes with the LG service charge, because if the board works when it arrive, it will also work the next 90 days.

I only don't want to run the risk of receiving a board that is DOA, and these things happen, because many things can happen during transportation and I'm even not sure if every PCB get checked before it leaves the factory.

Apologies if I've misread this, but are you saying that you can get it repaired with a 90 day warranty from LG for 4300 Baht?

But your local guy can do it for 3000 Baht with no warranty?

If you don't want to run this risk of getting a faulty board, surely just pay the extra 1300 Baht.

For such an expensive Tv, it's cheap in the scheme of thing.

FWIW, my 5 and a half year old 65 inch Samsung plasma has a faulty board.

The Samsung techs came out and said it would cost about 15 000 Baht from

memory to replace it. That was never going to happen.

As others have mentioned, I've also been told by techs that the average lifespan

of new Tv's is about 100 000 hours or 5 to 6 years of average use.

If it were me, I'd just take the punt of getting it fixed and if it's goes belly up again, time

for a new one.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

If you don't want to run this risk of getting a faulty board, surely just pay the extra 1300 Baht.

The thing is that the 50" tv is not the expensive one, I paid around 20K in a promotion at that time, the 140K one has no parts available any more.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, janclaes47 said:

I can understand that one likes the newest of the newest, but a tv with a price tag of 140K is not exactly your average tv, and making this redundant after 6 years is painful.

Which is an excellent reason not to get caught in the rat race. Most people can get acceptable service on a bog standard tv, and afford to buy a newer one when the technology changes.

Way it's going, won't even be able to buy a CD player soon, and I remember when they were expensive and "special".

I still have in storage the top of the line Mitsubishi Black Diamond VHS video recorder, from 1991. Barely used and cost a lot. Should have bought a cheapy instead.

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

Apologies if I've misread this, but are you saying that you can get it repaired with a 90 day warranty from LG for 4300 Baht?

But your local guy can do it for 3000 Baht with no warranty?

FWIW, my 5 and a half year old 65 inch Samsung plasma has a faulty board.

The Samsung techs came out and said it would cost about 15 000 Baht from

memory to replace it. That was never going to happen.

As others have mentioned, I've also been told by techs that the average lifespan

of new Tv's is about 100 000 hours or 5 to 6 years of average use.

If it were me, I'd just take the punt of getting it fixed and if it's goes belly up again, time

for a new one.

and yet............................

old CRT tvs are still working perfectly after 30 years. This mindless rush to all things new is not going to end well.

I have an LG problem child, too. 
The fuse in the power strip blew, but was not quick enough, or whatever, and the TV would not turn on with the remote.
I am a tinkerer, and discovered that by unplugging and reconnecting the power cord several times, and using the manual switch on the back, I can get it to fire up.
Pain in the butt, but I mostly use it as a monitor for my laptop, and there are switches to change the input, etc., too, so if I want to use the DVD player I can.
That said, it is a PITA, and I will be looking for a repair shop in the Bangsaray area.
Helpful hints gratefully accepted. :smile:

I solved the issue by not repairing the TV.

Since the tv is only used for watching Kodi and playing games, I figured out that I still had some PC speakers laying around.

So I connected the speakers to the Android box, and the sound is fairly good and loud enough.

So that is 4300 Baht saved for now, and I still have picture and sound for the applications I ever use, and if the tv gives up in the future I'll throw it in the bin.