Is this legal, even in Thailand?

janclaes47

2 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

buy a board on ebay then.

The problem isn't getting the board, I can buy it in Thailand from recommended LG dealer, cheaper than I can find them on Ebay.

The problem is that they refuse to give a dead on arrival warranty, so if board arrives faulty I lose the money.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The problem isn't getting the board, I can buy it in Thailand from recommended LG dealer, cheaper than I can find them on Ebay.

The problem is that they refuse to give a dead on arrival warranty, so if board arrives faulty I lose the money.

throw the TV in the bin then and buy a new one.

I have a rule. Never more than $500 on a computer and never more than $500 on TV.

I used to be a techie, but it's all replaceable garbage nowadays.

Like with a phone. It's not that I don't like an iPhone, it's just that tech gets obsolete quickly and instead of paying well over 30,000 baht and worrying about falling out of my pocket, I'll just buy a 6000 baht phone every year. If it lasts longer than that.... great.

You know at least in western countries you can get up to 5 years warranty for an extra fee?

I tried many cheap phones. Bad resolution, slow processor or just stop working after a while like with the China phone. 

IMO spending around 15,000 for a one-year old top shelf phone every 3 years or 50,000 Baht for a proper TV every 7 years is okay. Don't get me started on cheap TVs.

B140,000 is the price here in Thailand. That same TV was about B30,000 in the States.

I bought a 55" LG 4K TV a couple of years ago for B30,000 from Lazada. Best picture I have ever seen. I should have bought 2.

I would not throw money into a 6 year old TV. You can buy new technology for B30,000 

Edited by Jeffrey346

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

No LED is superior in picture quality to a plasma, unless you go to the top range for top dollars.

And no you can't buy a 60" LED for 30K. The cheapest 60" LED on the market is a crap TCL at 35.000 Baht, which can't even be compared to a plasma

You can buy LG TV's for this money too: http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-televisions/?spm=a2o4l.category-030500000000.0.0.B42Ip2&display_size_tv=60.00-69.90&sort=priceasc&viewType=gridView&fs=1&sc=EQgR

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

No LED is superior in picture quality to a plasma, unless you go to the top range for top dollars.

You ever seen Quantum Dot panels ("SUHD")? Came down significantly in price and outshine a plasma on any day.

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

B140,000 is the price here in Thailand. That same TV was about B30,000 in the States.

You must be a fortune teller, because I never mentioned the model number of the tv, so how would you even know how much it cost elsewhere?

4 minutes ago, wump said:

You ever seen Quantum Dot panels ("SUHD")? Came down significantly in price and outshine a plasma on any day.

You ever seen the price of Quantum dot panels, because that is what I mean with top dollars.

And no, the TCL quantum  dot panels, which still cost +60K, can not even be compared to a normal LED.

after lighting so many problems you can have even occur later... the best is to replace for new

the problems are the the circuit will work and fail after  time.

spare part is always a problem. never guaranteed unless you life for example in the European Union then depending on the device it is up to 10 years,.

the truth in the joke about the warranty is that the supplier/manufacturer guarantees the machine working for that time of period., Also guarantees that spare parts are available and that is after the last machine has been sold for that model period.

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You ever seen the price of Quantum dot panels, because that is what I mean with top dollars.

And no, the TCL quantum  dot panels, which still cost +60K, can not even be compared to a normal LED.

There is a LG 65" on Lazada for 57k so they are almost down to the price level of Non-Quantum-Dot displays it seems.

2 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

You should earth the whole wiring, would help

We got a blackout the other day, due to lighting, we are earthed, however one two of out TV's that are connected to the satellite dish won't work, set top boxes work as we tested them with the 3rd TV in the other room which is set up to a separate satellite dish, so will have to get someone to replace a part on the satellite dish which I suspect received too much power, although our switchboard has one of those switches that flicks off when there is a problem.

My question is, should I be buying something to protect our appliances, or are we ok with that flick switch in the switchboard, the big red one. 

As mentioned, we are earthed.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Acharn said:

Worse. If you do anything to try to repair your car you may be charged under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Much of your car, including the brakes, use computer chips, which use program code. That code is copyrighted and you are required to only allow authorized repairmen to work on the part. I don't know about TV sets, yet, but this is a growing problem. There are lawsuits working through the system.

Things changed a bit in the US after this 2015 decision by the Librarian of Congress:

http://copyright.gov/1201/2015/fedreg-publicinspectionFR.pdf

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

In Hong Kong the cheapest last known price was 33.800 HK$, but of course in the US it was only a quarter of the price from elsewhere in the world :clap2:

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=114297

Edited by janclaes47

1 minute ago, wump said:

What TV are we even talking about... from what I can see the prices in Europe and Thailand are about the same with the US being a little cheaper (like 20% or so). Where do you get your numbers from?

I get my numbers from my actual invoice of course, but as you can see from the post above, in Hong Kong it was even more expensive.

3 minutes ago, wump said:

You can't be serious in trying to get a price for a model that was discontinued in 2011. It could be ANY price now depending on dealers either wanting to get rid off old stock or some die-hards chasing plasma. 

Who say I want to buy the same tv again? I also don't want to sell it, never been mentioned in this thread, so no idea what you are about.

I quoted what I paid for it at that time, and I doubt it will be even available anywhere now, but that doesn't change what I paid for it and that now 6 years later it is worthless because no parts can be purchased any more.

You're clearly missing something, but you wont find it on the internet.,

Edited by janclaes47

You are not having your facts straight. Fact is the TV I mentioned earlier that is on Lazada for 57k is $1,400 in the States... hardly the huge price difference you make it out to be.

Same goes for most electronics as long as you are not buying them in places that only do RRP sales.

Edited by wump

1 minute ago, wump said:

You are not having your facts straight. Fact is the TV I mentioned earlier that is on Lazada for 57k is $1,400 in the States... hardly the huge price difference you make it out to be.

Same goes for most electronics as far as you are not buying them in places that only do RRP sales.

I couldn't care less how much a tv is that you quote on Lazada.

This thread is about MY tv that has become worthless after 6 years because no parts available any more.

Okay, sorry for straying off topic.

But you gotta admit we are dealing with obsolete technology here, right? I can understand that they won't make parts for this.

Heating your room with your 350 Watt TV and then cooling it down with another 350 Watt extra air con is just crazy. 

Just get some new and better technology and be done with it. Even if there was parts, a 6 yo TV is gonna fail you at some point anyway.

Edited by wump

17 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I quoted what I paid for it at that time, and I doubt it will be even available anywhere now, but that doesn't change what I paid for it and that now 6 years later it is worthless because no parts can be purchased any more.

PCB is available.

http://www.lgparts.com.au/lg-pdp-tv-60ps80br-appliance-spare-parts-c-24759_24788_83841.html?sort=3a&page=1

Just now, wump said:

Even if there was parts, a 6 yo TV is gonna fail you at some point anyway

Plasma panels still give better movie picture quality than SUHD, especially with fast moving scenes. You can look it up on Google.

Plasma panels are also virtually indestructible, which is proven since I and my friend still have 42" lg plasmas which we bought 12 years ago.

We have had also a few LCD's and LED's, which are also LCD as you will know, in the mean time and none lasted more than 4 years.

A well know dealer in Pattaya told me that these days TV are " intended" to last no more than 4 - 5 years, because that's the only way they can keep prices affordable for the big public.

Planned obsolescence? I am sure that thing was already invented 12 years ago (actually, it was already used some 100 years ago). But okay, If you like your plasma so much then go for it. The only thing I like about them is their excellent SD display but apart from that I find them pretty useless and bulky.

I used to be an authorized electronic repair dealer. The logic behind the customer not getting any warranty on parts, not even 7 day DOA, is that the customer may unintentionally damage the motherboard or electronic part just by static discharge alone.