Is this legal, even in Thailand?

janclaes47

I have 2 LG plasma tv's which suffered a lightning strike last year.

Initially on each tv only 1 HDMI port was damaged, but over the past year also sound issues have appeared on both TV's.

I take one tv to the local repair shop and he says the main PCB has to be replaced.

I go to the LG repair center in Pattaya, who give me the item number, but tell me they don't sell parts. For that I have to pass through an authorized LG parts dealer and they give me the phone numbers.

So I call them up, and they give me the price but tell me no warranty on the new part, because LG doesn't give them warranty.

On my question, so if the part arrives damaged I lose my money, their answer is yes.

So I take it up with the LG head office and they confirm there is no warranty, even not a 7 day DOA warranty.

I can of course let it repair by their own service team, at 4 times the cost the local repair shop asks, and then I will have 90 days warranty.

So my question is, if it legal to deny a 7 day warranty on new parts?

So that is for the 50" plasma build year 2011.

The 60" plasma, which was 140.000 Baht in 2011, I also want to replace the PCB at the same time.

But I'm told that that part can not be ordered anymore.

So a 140K LG tv becomes worthless after 6 years, since no parts are available any more?

Be forwarned when you want to buy an LG tv,

S

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is common practice even in America. If you buy a part (for a car for example) and let the authorized (and trained) installer put it in, you get full warranty, at higher cost of installation. If you buy the part and install yourself...basically on your own.

Personally I expect to upgrade any TV (and computer) after 2/3 years as technology races on. Can't blame LG if your own guys install a part as warranty is invalid and that's standard practice. You can buy a 60 inch LED far superior TV to your Plasma for 30,000.

37 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Personally I expect to upgrade any TV (and computer) after 2/3 years as technology races on. Can't blame LG if your own guys install a part as warranty is invalid and that's standard practice. You can buy a 60 inch LED far superior TV to your Plasma for 30,000.

No LED is superior in picture quality to a plasma, unless you go to the top range for top dollars.

And no you can't buy a 60" LED for 30K. The cheapest 60" LED on the market is a crap TCL at 35.000 Baht, which can't even be compared to a plasma

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Personally I expect to upgrade any TV (and computer) after 2/3 years as technology races on

I can understand that one likes the newest of the newest, but a tv with a price tag of 140K is not exactly your average tv, and making this redundant after 6 years is painful.

been down this road many times with all the electric going off all the time, cost me thousands of pounds sterling, TV;s fridge, salt water system for pool. i just bite the bullet and get on with it, you will drive yourself crazy trying to get anywhere with these people.

Plasma? Why not look into upgrading and saving a bit of energy costs? Those nice 55" LG OLEDs just came down to under 1,000 euros in Europe. 4K and HDR will give you a far superior picture compared to your old plasma.

Edited by wump

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I can understand that one likes the newest of the newest, but a tv with a price tag of 140K is not exactly your average tv, and making this redundant after 6 years is painful.

6 years, like a car, is enough but I understand 140k is painful but I'd never spend that amount anyway. Got my LED LG 60 inch on a promotion for around 30k.

10 hours ago, tonray said:

This is common practice even in America. If you buy a part (for a car for example) and let the authorized (and trained) installer put it in, you get full warranty, at higher cost of installation. If you buy the part and install yourself...basically on your own.

I have a 42 LG LED, broke down, they wanted 12.000 baht to fix it, i purchased a new MB from India for it for 4.500 B, cost me 500 baht customs, fixed myself been great last 2 years, is idiot proof to install, i cannot remember the website i got it from, you need to open up your tv & write down the board Number & search for it,  in Asia the ones in the west are not same, or at least were not for mine, just google how to fix LG plasma Tv. was some India online shopping

27 minutes ago, catman20 said:

been down this road many times with all the electric going off all the time, cost me thousands of pounds sterling, TV;s fridge, salt water system for pool. i just bite the bullet and get on with it, you will drive yourself crazy trying to get anywhere with these people.

You should earth the whole wiring, would help

I have a 50 " plasma same as yours.....I wouldn't buy one again. As I like to move around....it's one heavy bugger to carry around.

I ciuldn't believe how light these newer ones are....a gift whem moving...no bother at all.

PS. I was getting a terrible reception on it when I moved into my house while one of the new "lightweights"  was fine (it was perfect at my previous address).

Had different quotations for it to be fixed. I was slow to call in the cable company as the other one was working perfectly. But I did as a last resort. Their man said the problem was with my TV for sure. Left it in the bedroom for over a year. Moved again and gave it another try with a different cable company.....worked perfectly with them ...same as before I moved to the house.

So there you go...put that in your pipe and smoke it.

10 hours ago, tonray said:

Worse. If you do anything to try to repair your car you may be charged under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Much of your car, including the brakes, use computer chips, which use program code. That code is copyrighted and you are required to only allow authorized repairmen to work on the part. I don't know about TV sets, yet, but this is a growing problem. There are lawsuits working through the system.

4 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Worse. If you do anything to try to repair your car you may be charged under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Much of your car, including the brakes, use computer chips, which use program code. That code is copyrighted and you are required to only allow authorized repairmen to work on the part. I don't know about TV sets, yet, but this is a growing problem. There are lawsuits working through the system.

Errrr What ?

I recently had one of my TV's blown by an electrical outage during a storm, an LG 57' plasma, about 4 years old.  I took it to the local corner shop TV repair man and 6000 baht later it's as good as new.  I didn't understand what had happened, but I was happy that it was as little as 6000 baht, I certainly couldn't replace it for that little.  Maybe it would have been cheaper if my girlfriend had taken it in, but she can neither drive the car to get it there, nor lift the damn thing anyway, so I'd have had to help and would have been spotted as a farang. 555

11 hours ago, tonray said:

That may be true of car parts but when it comes to TV's in the States you just buy the parts you need from ShopJimmy.com (cheap and returnable) get a little advice from youtube and fix the TV yourself for peanuts.  I've done it several times now.  Lightening hit my moms house though and I saw some pixel lines out on her TV.  I pointed it out and she made a home insurance claim.  They sent a repairman out who fixed it.  Few months later...same lines came back. Again, they sent a repairman out who fixed it.  Few months later...same lines came back. Insurance company then replaced the TV.  Few months later...same lines came back.  They replaced the TV again.  Same lines came back.  This time I think the insurance company told my mom to F Off.  I think the lightening fried the lines in the wall making them TV killers but IDK.  Panasonic TV's by the way.

6 minutes ago, mikosan said:

I recently had one of my TV's blown by an electrical outage during a storm, an LG 57' plasma, about 4 years old.  I took it to the local corner shop TV repair man and 6000 baht later it's as good as new.  I didn't understand what had happened, but I was happy that it was as little as 6000 baht, I certainly couldn't replace it for that little.  Maybe it would have been cheaper if my girlfriend had taken it in, but she can neither drive the car to get it there, nor lift the damn thing anyway, so I'd have had to help and would have been spotted as a farang. 555

yeah my 55" LG Plasma died during a storm last year, called Numchai and they arranged for an LG service tech to come to my house. He diagnosed the problem (fried board) and advised it would be Bt.4500 to fix, Missus agreed and he came back the next day and fixed it.

I have two LG plasmas from around the same time as yours.  I've had to replace the y sustain board on both of them and now one of them needs a new main board as the HDMI ports don't work.  Exactly the problem that 1000's of others have had. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1726-defective-lg-plasmalcd-tv-class-action-lawsuit/

That said I've found LG service to be pretty good and reasonably priced. They came when they said they would and there were no hiccups.  So I recommend biting the bullet and just letting them take care of it.  The boards plus installation were around 3000 or so.  

2 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I have two LG plasmas from around the same time as yours.  I've had to replace the y sustain board on both of them and now one of them needs a new main board as the HDMI ports don't work.  Exactly the problem that 1000's of others have had. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1726-defective-lg-plasmalcd-tv-class-action-lawsuit/

That said I've found LG service to be pretty good and reasonably priced. They came when they said they would and there were no hiccups.  So I recommend biting the bullet and just letting them take care of it.  The boards plus installation were around 3000 or so.  

LG and reasonably priced? Was charged 6,700 for a phone screen at their BKK HQ repair place. 

6 minutes ago, wump said:

LG and reasonably priced? Was charged 6,700 for a phone screen at their BKK HQ repair place. 

Point taken.  Reasonable compared to the cost and hassle of buying the TV part and installing it myself and compared to a service call in the West, but it is relative.

Edited by ricklev

1 minute ago, wump said:

That's the problem with taking phones etc to the main dealers  Much better to go to Somchai's local shop, prompt service and much cheaper.  The outrageous UK prices are shown below.  Replacement screen for an iPhone 5 GBP 136+ in UK, let alone the length of time it would take them to repair it.  Sonchai does it immediately, for less than 2000 baht.

iPhone screen Prices.JPG

Well, needed to get it done in Thailand as the touchscreen stopped working at some point. Didn't expect it to be THAT expensive as parts are only 70$ on Amazon (generic). Couldn't be bothered looking for another shop in the end. Lesson learned.

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm not after a full warranty, but with not even a 7 day warranty they can send me a faulty PCB and there is nothing I can do about.

The PCB for the 50" is 2500 Baht from their recommended dealer, and takes less than half an hour to replace, since it is just plug and play.

My local repair shop asks me 500 Baht, while LG want 1800 Baht for the same work.

It is still not acceptable to me that a top range tv is declared no parts available any more after only 6 years.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm not after a full warranty, but with not even a 7 day warranty they can send me a faulty PCB and there is nothing I can do about.

The PCB for the 50" is 2500 Baht from their recommended dealer, and takes less than half an hour to replace, since it is just plug and play.

My local repair shop asks me 500 Baht, while LG want 1800 Baht for the same work.

It is still not acceptable to me that a top range tv is declared no parts available any more after only 6 years.

have the techs come to your house to fit the board, no monies paid until you see tv working again.

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

have the techs come to your house to fit the board, no monies paid until you see tv working again.

That's indeed the deal, but the tv is already at the local repair shop, since he was the one who diagnosed the fault, so I will have to pay him some money anyway.

I have seen the inside of the tv, and even I could replace the PCB by myself, so I consider 1800 Baht a ridiculous price for the labor.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

That's indeed the deal, but the tv is already at the local repair shop, since he was the one who diagnosed the fault, so I will have to pay him some money anyway.

I have seen the inside of the tv, and even I could replace the PCB by myself, so I consider 1800 Baht a ridiculous price for the labor.

buy a board on ebay then.