Tropical Crotch Rot

Jingthing

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I feels like the right thing to do to give an update on my crotch rot, even though this report might be premature.

I decided to give it a break for awhile so in the meantime I was using Nappy Hippo (a soothing cream sold for baby diaper rash) and even for some days I tried out making a thick paste of Yoki powder. The main thing I was trying to confirm was that the presumed fungus infection was really still there after the previous course of Daktarin antifungal cream.

One time I did try VINEGAR. Obviously prematurely. It inflamed the area.

After that break, it was clear to me the presumed fungal infection was indeed still there.

So anyway, I had bought both LAMISIL DERMGEL and Quadriderm (with steroid) but wasn't sure which to use yet.

I decided to start on the recommended 7 day treatment with LAMISIL DERMGEL. It says clearly on the instructions that if there is not noticeable clinical improvement after only a few days, to question the diagnosis. Well, happily, there was quite noticeable clinical improvement.

Now going on my fourth day, and it gets better every day, so I'll finish the 7.

After that, based on something else I read on the net, I'll probably go for a two week course of skin healing probably with Boot's shea butter body cream. 

I think I will probably be stuck with some cosmetic skin discoloration. Steroids might help with that but I still want to avoid steroids.

After that, not sure yet. Could try the vinegar again. Or maybe simple baby powder. I don't think I'll go for daily antifungal powder unless I get a reinfection.

Sheryl had stated Lamisil was not for crotch but only for feet. Well, numerous sources say differently, but it is true Lamisil markets some products specifically for feet that shouldn't be used on the crotch.

HOWEVER, Lamisil Dermgel is not one of them. It's fine to use on the crotch.

And that's the biggest takeaway I want to contribute here to people actually reading this. I suggest if you're in Thailand and you get crotch rot, try Lamisil Dermgel FIRST. You only have to commit to two days of it, once a day, and then if it's not working, question the diagnosis. It will probably work!

I have another question about the VINEGAR for prevention of reinfection. Do you think you're supposed to use PURE vinegar (obviously strong) or diluted with water? If diluted, what percentage vinegar? This is basically a question for Sheryl. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I feels like the right thing to do to give an update on my crotch rot, even though this report might be premature.

I decided to give it a break for awhile so in the meantime I was using Nappy Hippo (a soothing cream sold for baby diaper rash) and even for some days I tried out making a thick paste of Yoki powder. The main thing I was trying to confirm was that the presumed fungus infection was really still there after the previous course of Daktarin antifungal cream.

One time I did try VINEGAR. Obviously prematurely. It inflamed the area.

After that break, it was clear to me the presumed fungal infection was indeed still there.

So anyway, I had bought both LAMISIL DERMGEL and Quadriderm (with steroid) but wasn't sure which to use yet.

I decided to start on the recommended 7 day treatment with LAMISIL DERMGEL. It says clearly on the instructions that if there is not noticeable clinical improvement after only a few days, to question the diagnosis. Well, happily, there was quite noticeable clinical improvement.

Now going on my fourth day, and it gets better every day, so I'll finish the 7.

After that, based on something else I read on the net, I'll probably go for a two week course of skin healing probably with Boot's shea butter body cream. 

I think I will probably be stuck with some cosmetic skin discoloration. Steroids might help with that but I still want to avoid steroids.

After that, not sure yet. Could try the vinegar again. Or maybe simple baby powder. I don't think I'll go for daily antifungal powder unless I get a reinfection.

Sheryl had stated Lamisil was not for crotch but only for feet. Well, numerous sources say differently, but it is true Lamisil markets some products specifically for feet that shouldn't be used on the crotch.

HOWEVER, Lamisil Dermgel is not one of them. It's fine to use on the crotch.

And that's the biggest takeaway I want to contribute here to people actually reading this. I suggest if you're in Thailand and you get crotch rot, try Lamisil Dermgel FIRST. You only have to commit to two days of it, once a day, and then if it's not working, question the diagnosis. It will probably work!

I have another question about the VINEGAR for prevention of reinfection. Do you think you're supposed to use PURE vinegar (obviously strong) or diluted with water? If diluted, what percentage vinegar? This is basically a question for Sheryl. 

So you didn't try Quadriderm...?

8 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Pure vinegar is just acetic acid. It'll solve your problem.  It'll dissolve your crotch, but the problem will be gone.  :passifier:

Yes, it seems too harsh!

In any case, yes I've heard of it being used as a harsh treatment (rubbing alcohol as well), but I'm more interested in Sheryl's idea of using it after clearing to prevent reinfection. 

My western dermatologist recommended 50/50 distilled or fermented vinegar/water in a spray bottle.
It worked well for me!

Thanks. Sounds about right. But what a ritual for every shower. Careful drying with a fan. Then spray on vinegar and presumably more time to fan dry that too. Oh well.
Looking for a quicker way to dry stuff.

Just pat towel dry after shower then spray vinegar mixture.

Then dry in front of a slow cool fan.

Then use satin boxer underwear...see link

Only use vinegar once a day.....

Don't use soap ....I use a sorbolene body wash.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sexy-Mens-Small-Boxers-Underwear-Satin-Valentine-Lips-Hearts-Kisses-Red-2pc-NIP-/182730181427

16 minutes ago, champers said:

Too much information.?

Arguably, this entire thread is TMI.

The case of tropical crotch rot heard round the world!

I think if I was a Hollywood celeb I know what my charity disease would be now.

End the scourge tropical crotch rot. Give generously.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

...I have another question about the VINEGAR for prevention of reinfection. Do you think you're supposed to use PURE vinegar (obviously strong) or diluted with water? If diluted, what percentage vinegar?

Somewhere around the house, I have a bottle of glacial acetic acid - 99.5% acid stuff!  In Thailand, my mother-in-law had a small bottle of what she called Houa Naam Som - very strong, though I do not know the percentage.  Perhaps as much as 20%. Unless you're looking to make an instant dill pickle, avoid these.

Table vinegar is typically diluted to 5%. "Cleaning vinegar" may be 6%.  Diluting with water by half or more seems advisable.

One home remedy made me laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How to use garlic to get rid of jock itch?

Get this:

• Garlic cloves – 4-5
  • Olive oil (optional)- 1-2 tbsp

Do this:

• Crush the garlic cloves to get a paste
  • Apply this garlic paste to the washed and dried skin of your affected area
  • Wait for 10-15 minutes before washing it off.
  • Repeat 2-3 times a day.
  • If, however, you have a sensitive skin, reduce the strength of garlic by adding it to olive oil.
  • For this, heat the oil with the garlic cloves for few moments.
  • Let the oil cool down before straining it.
  • Apply this garlic infused olive oil to your jock itch affected area 2-3 times a day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Add some Basil and Oregano and you'd have Italian meatballs.  Might get boring having the same thing everyday.  Maybe alternate by rubbing on some Som Dam or shrimp curry paste. 

Back in April I developed a rash on my elbow  which got progressively worse.    I tried to self medicate for a few weeks with none of the various creams doing any good.   Finally I went to see Dr Anna at BPH.    She prescribedForticort which began to clear it up but didn't knock it out .    Then I switched to Daktacort   Which was better.   All this took about 2 months.   Then in early July we made a trip up to Chiang Mai and while there we visited two hot springs, one in Mae Chom area, which is east of Chiang Mai city and another not far from Khompangphet.   Well,after several visits to the hot springs  the rash completely disappeared.      I know it will be a bit difficult for you to visit either of these  places  but  should you find yourself in the aforementioned areas then a dip in the hot springs  may offer you some relief.     

6 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Sounds weird but honey. Great for skin problems.

Honey with cinnamon yum, yum (and after a couple of hours get the wife to lick it off).

My brother swears by Marmite; or was it Vegimite. Can't quite recall. Anyway, either is probably OK.

3 hours ago, sanuk21 said:

The low cool fan  will slowly evaporate the vinegar mixture and thus maintain the environment at a lower pH value for a longer period on time.

This is just like pumping the water out of a pond too fast. The banks have not got the time to drain and the soil can slide down the bank making the pond shallower.

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

try using anti-dandruff shampoo (i use Clear for men) around your crotch, backside etc when you shower It should keep the rot at bay, google it for yourself. I always use it daily, swear by it.

Interesting idea but I'm not sure about that for prevention. It's an antibacterial as well. My feeling is that not all bacteria is bad but antibacterials kills the good and the bad. 

Interesting ideas to treat skin discoloration:

http://lagunaskincenter.com/articles/jock-itch/

Residual skin discoloration in the groin may persist for weeks to months after more severe forms of jock itch clear. This discoloration is called hyperpigmentation and may be treated with one or a combination of:

• hydroquinone 4% cream
  • kojic acid cream
  • azelaic acid 15% cream
  • over the counter fading cream with 2% hydroquinone (Porcelana)
  • specially designed prescription creams for particularly resistant skin discoloration using higher concentrations of hydroquinone 6%, 8%, and 10% may also be formulated by prescription by compounding pharmacists.

•  

Archived