Nissan electric cars to hit Thai market next year

webfact

Nissan electric cars to hit Thai market next year

By Kingsley Wijayasinha 
The Nation 
Chiba, Japan

1fe6a623d8b11036d83cec1784b79b81.jpg

Chiba, Japan -- Nissan has officially announced that it will offer the LEAF electric vehicle in Thailand.

The new model will first come as an import from Japan next year, but Nissan also plans local production

Antoine Barthes, president of Nissan Motor Thailand, said Nissan is working with the Thai government to strike the right conditions for electric vehicles (EV).

"Nissan is the first manufacturer to officially announce its intent of offering a mainstream intelligent EV jn Thailand," he said at the global launch of the new LEAF in Japan.

Apart from electric powertrain with a range of 400 kilometres, the LEAF also comes with Pro Pilot, Nissan's version of autonomous drive.

Barthes said last week that Nissan is interested in producing EVs in Thailand, but needs to make sure they are affordable and that production makes business sense.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Auto_ADO/30325935

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-06

Death by stealth.. Hopefully they are going to be available in bright colours with an audible warning tone and flashing lights. Imagine how many pedestrians are going to get mowed down cos they didn't hear it coming !

There was a report this morning on Japanese TV NHK , this is a new model , just out with more batteries and longer range ,

its about $30,000 US in Japan with taxes ,

Looks good  but most people have to way to Fast Charge it ,  so can take 4-8 hours to recharge

The Top Gear show about EVs  showed the same as the German DW TV show did ,

Nice cars all of them , but much less range than promised and very few charging stations

Not ready for Prime Time yet !

Another problem i see they are going to have to build re-charging stations in Thailand Big project Thailand is struggling with its power supply and you can tell because they turn off there traffic lights every night and cause chaos on the roads

Will never be a fan of any hybred or electric car, they are just an inconvenience ( limited range & recharging times ) & you would need well trained service people 

Only place there good for is the city but here in Thai if you start to go flat you would find it hard to find a recharge station only to find out that it is used as a parking spot. The only place i can see to charge is at home

13 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Not in real world driving, maybe on a test track. My experience was that 150 miles, 240 km's, was the limit.

What he said, 300 kms absolute max. Then one has to consider the load of the AC here. So probably more like 200kms.

Be prepared for more burned down houses as people plug their cars in!

Edited by VocalNeal

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Nissan has officially announced that it will offer the LEAF electric vehicle in Thailand.

I wonder what the offer price will be. I assume it will probably be in the 1M plus range same as the Prius. For this cost, I would still rather buy an eco-car in the 500K to 600K range. The cost savings just don't add up.

If Thailand wants to go alternative fuel, they need to figure out how the average person can afford such vehicles.

Eventually I would like to have one of these cars but as a condo dweller, I think it would be hard going to get the condo to agree to installing electrics for a charging station in my parking spot. Also, I suspect that the price will be stupid as well. At least until they start producing them in TH.

Yes. or you have an all night power cut/ Brown out and wake to find that you can't drive your lekky car to work.

Mobile phone battery technology can't keep a phone charged for 12 yrs use yet and even with power points everywhere we still get caught with a dead phone/ low batt etc etc..

Imagine same issue with a car in a traffic jam on Sukhumvit. 

More development needed

Last year a friend borrowed his bosses Nissan Leaf .Took it for a spin up to 88 MPH to see if i went "Back to the future". I didnt , but in 3 Miles - 5 KM , it used 15% of its battery under hard driving. Even with a larger , more advanced battery i wouldnt risk going further than 100 KM from home or you wont get back. Unless you can find a charging station and have several hours to waste. The problem with electric cars ( until the  battery range can be doubled / charge time halved ) is that 99% are bought to supplement a "proper" car. So the massive amount of extra pollution created in producing your extra car ( its production carbon footprint ) will not be off-set due to "cleaner" running for many years. Its been estimated to take 100,000 KM before break-even point is reached. Then theres the battery life , 6 to 8 years , and its replacement cost , both financial and enviromental.  The "Total Life" carbon footprint of a supliment EV is higher than a standard ECO car when everything is added up.  Things will improve , but not for a least 6/8 years.

Hybrids are the way to go for now. Better fuel economy than petrol, less emissions on short trips and no worry about running out of electricity. In Thailand, the pure electric market should concentrate on scooters, motorbikes and tuk-tuks. By the time they have a foothold in those markets, the infrastructure and battery performance will hopefully be able to support pure electric cars. You can already buy an electric scooter for under 20,000 baht, and probably perfect for urban commuting.

Hybrids are the way to go for now. Better fuel economy than petrol, less emissions on short trips and no worry about running out of electricity. In Thailand, the pure electric market should concentrate on scooters, motorbikes and tuk-tuks. By the time they have a foothold in those markets, the infrastructure and battery performance will hopefully be able to support pure electric cars. You can already buy an electric scooter for under 20,000 baht, and probably perfect for urban commuting.

Yes, I am all for EGAT building more gas-fired generating plants, they're great customers.

How about a home refueller generating your own hydrogen from renewables such as solar and wind power to power a hybrid?
Hopefully soon so I can totally off grid.

How about you just ride a bicycle or walk? Gets you off the grid immediately and it is good for your health.

Hybrids may be the best alternative for the next few years , but the electric source for everyone needs to be cleaner.  Solar seems to come with less enviromental  problems than both ( bird strikes ) wind or hydro (land flooding / fish re-location ). A 20K electric scooter wont last long. The decent ones from Zero are 800K to 950K. Even the cheaper ones i see at Big C are 55-60 K and i wouldnt expect them to have a service life anywhere near that of a petrol scooter , say a Yamaha Filano , that costs 52 K and can do 60 KM/PL , thats 170 MPG. Not exactly causing much impact , is it.