What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?

smo

3 hours ago, csabo said:

"Good for them because I am already bracing myself with elbows sticking out."

I have been doing this for years.  I am a big solid mass and I was zigzagging all over the place to avoid shoppers 1/3 my size to avoid collisions when walking through the mall.  I noticed people think if they keep their head down they can just walk straight and let everyone else get out of the way.  No more.  I have sent people crashing to the floor bags flying everywhere clutching their shoulders in pain.  I especially love the bonus rounds when I catch people walking backwards not looking where they are going.  CRUUUUNCH!  And how about the grocery store shoppers who stand in the center of an aisle deciding on an item while completely blocking other shoppers and ignoring them as they approach.  Imagine a steam roller vs a chicken.

A post complaining about the ignorant behavior of others while owning up to far greater and more deliberate antisocial behavior.

You are a complete and total tool if you think its acceptable to deliberately walk around banging in to people just to prove a point, even more so if you take pleasure in their pain following such deliberate collisions. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

And to think - some people actually have real problems... 

Sure, it can be annoying, though actually having to push the "up button" puts you in the elite of having not much to worry about...

The other day I had a kid coming straight at my vehicle, he on a motorcycle, looking at his phone. I didn't want to honk my horn for fear of scaring him - he came to his senses and went back into his lane... 

good luck and chill out. 

You could have just pipped the horn to get his attention, maybe even flash your lights. You don't have to go all out and sound the fog horn

1 hour ago, Global Guy said:

There is little consideration for others in general in Thailand.  I walk down a sidewalk, coming towards me in the other direction are three people, walking side by side taking up the entire sidewalk. When they approach me, you would think that the person who is directly in front of me would move behind their friends so we can all walk by each other.

But no, they stay walking side by side, still taking up the entire width of the sidewalk. What am I supposed to do? I can't walk through the cement buildings on one side and I'm not moving over into moving traffic on the other. It is at this time I adjust my earphone and coincidentally my elbow is in front of me while I do this. If someone cares so little to move and they walk into my elbow with their face, that is their problem. So many people still don't move and yes, they elbow themselves in the face or shoulder.

I think this is stupid, but the only remaining alternative is let them smash into me. I can't just disappear and I'm not jumping to traffic to get hit by a car. 

It's particularly crazy when people have umbrellas. I constantly swat them away from my face because they'll walk with the point sticking right at people walking towards them.

Another daily stupid thing, but it is what it is...Thailand is filled with people with the intellect of puppies and Teletubbies. Impulsive and short-sighted with only instant gratification in mind.

No... the only remaining sociable alternative to say 'Excuse me'... or in Thailand 'Koh-Taught-Krup'... as you approach them.

Of course, the repetitive antisocial behavior of others wears thin and at times pushes us to breaking point. However, many of us enjoy living here for numerous reasons including the relaxed and non-confrontational way of life, yet you find it acceptable to behave in such an antisocial and confrontational way when it suits you.

2 minutes ago, alien365 said:

You could have just pipped the horn to get his attention, maybe even flash your lights. You don't have to go all out and sound the fog horn

he saw me relatively quickly - all's well that doesn't end tangled up in my bumper... it was just a startle, probably for both of us, though more likely more so for me... 

Last time I went to Hong Kong I remember a few women standing next to doors waiting for someone else to leave and hold the door open for them. My friend who lives there now slides through the door meaning the poor hiso's have to touch the door themselves. After he told me, I could see how frequently they do this. Like the phone issue, its all about three people: me, myself and I.

10 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

The smartphone zombies will be gone in some years. Your phone will be a small device in a pocket and people will be looking through "google glass" type device or even contact lenses. People will be even more connected to tech and even less engaged with actual humans.

Nah.  It will be an implant...

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good rant... Your sentiments are almost universally understood and agreed with, particularly holding the door open for others...

However, You seem to be admitting to deliberately walking into people with is a pretty 'dickish' thing to do and seems to contravene your moral standards and up bringing.

Unfortunately, we're surrounded by people who are spatially unaware and ignorant of those around them.

There is one thing I do like about living here...  the ignorance is innocent, the carelessness is accidental, I compare this to Western cities where there is often an subtle level of aggression protecting a deliberate spacial definition which if imposed upon leads to an unwelcome verbal comment or look of complete distain...  Life is too short, roll with the minor stuff, it can get up your nose but the alternatives are often worse. 

---

That said, a couple of days ago I raised my voice at the guy in front of me, I was pushing my Son in his push chair, the guy and his GF in front pushed the door open and let it swing back into the push chair... agitated, I asked the guy "Whats wrong with you?"... his look showed he had no idea what he'd done !... 

Today in a similar situation as I passed through a door I left a trailing hand to keep it open for the woman behind me (Thai) who smiled and said thank you...  Not all is lost !

Ultimately its better to have no expectation of others.

"However, You seem to be admitting to deliberately walking into people with is a pretty 'dickish' thing to do and seems to contravene your moral standards and up bringing."  My thoughts exactly...

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I refuse to have a smart phone and will never have one. I refuse to be tracked and I refuse to submit to the likes of Facebook; Instagram and all the other crap that is completely worthless. While a smartphone may have some utility- I just don't want to be part of a new generation that is addicted to a machine. 

I see the zombies everywhere- and I could almost stomach it if I thought people were actually learning something from looking at their devices. They are learning nothing- playing games; reading  useless messages about things of no real value and looking at silly ass videos put into the system by the creators of the devices as click bait so they can sell  ads and make millions of dollars. I chastise my wife and daughter for having joined the zombie generation-but it is useless. I just laugh and smile and let them be- comforted in knowing I will never join them in their addiction.

Thank you for your "opinion."

Just now, Happy Grumpy said:

Complaining about having to push an elevator button because someone near it is on their phone.

Good Lord! 

Annnnnd... "Good for them because I am already bracing myself with elbows sticking out."  Sick individual.  Kinda sad really...

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A post complaining about the ignorant behavior of others while owning up to far greater and more deliberate antisocial behavior.

You are a complete and total tool if you think its acceptable to deliberately walk around banging in to people just to prove a point, even more so if you take pleasure in their pain following such deliberate collisions. 

I think we've all been had.  this has gotta be a total troll post.  Ya think?  It can't be a serious post

Oh, come on mate, you are in Thailand, "land of smiles", so do as they do, "smile" and duck and weave as they do, you know, in and out, as soon as you expect someone to be as courteous or a gentleman who has been taught what we westerners expect of others, you will lose face, that and do damage to your ticker, just adjust to the life in Thailand, you do have other choices you know, you could consider returning to your home country and being cheesed off by someone there, maybe not at the level here, but its Thailand, a different country, where things are done differently, just take a look around, in case you forgot where you are, surely if you do, you will see many zombie's, its everywhere, even when they are driving, and riding motorbikes, its a worldwide phenomenon, as rude and dangerous as it is, its here to stay, adjust the thought in your brain, before you fry it, not accepting it. 

Take my advice, remain as you are, be you, open that door because you want to, allow the others to push there way in, just smile, duck and weave, we can't expect others to be us, or to act as us, and the minute we do, we are history, hopefully you will learn to duck and weave and stay on here and learn to have that BIG stupid smile on your face, or live in remote Thailand as I do, as far away as I can be from humans 555 

Edited by 4MyEgo

Yes- it is my opinion - but I have no quarrel with anyone who wants to become addicted to their phone.  It is a free World and people can choose to live how they desire.  If you want to look at your phone like a robot and bump into me- go ahead- I have many more important things in my life to be interested in.  When I go to a  pub- I ask for a beer and I could care less if they have WiFi.

I always hold the door and yes it's as if I'm invisible.  I find people wandering aimlessly looking at their phones somewhat humorous, bewildering and sometimes a bit chilling, at least as far as what is to come in the future.  hard to remember the last time I was angry over everyday "zombification."

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes- it is my opinion - but I have no quarrel with anyone who wants to become addicted to their phone.  It is a free World and people can choose to live how they desire.  If you want to look at your phone like a robot and bump into me- go ahead- I have many more important things in my life to be interested in.  When I go to a  pub- I ask for a beer and I could care less if they have WiFi.

"Good for them because I am already bracing myself with elbows sticking out."  What level do you keep your elbows out.  At face, throat, chest level etc.?

When people meet going in opposite directions, both parties bear responsibilities in avoidance. If the fellow zoned in on his phone makes no indication of being aware of his surroundings, does that put all the burden of avoidance on the fellow meeting him? No...  So, if you get shouldered by me as you're walking by. Som num na.

What is worse is when you go to a restaurant and half the customers are staring at their phones or even playing game with the volume turned up.

This is mostly Thais.

Even worse than that is when they come round your house for dinner or a party or something and do the same.

Rude and ignorant.

4 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

When people meet going in opposite directions, both parties bear responsibilities in avoidance. If the fellow zoned in on his phone makes no indication of being aware of his surroundings, does that put all the burden of avoidance on the fellow meeting him? No...  So, if you get shouldered by me as you're walking by. Som num na.

You sound very strong and manly... :giggle: 

Edited by joeyg

The young Chinese tourists are the worst for this. I now do not deviate if they are blocking the footpath fixed on their phones. I make a point of continuing on my course and push through if there are several of them or gently bump an individual, not aggressively but just to wake them up.

1 minute ago, Saladin said:

The young Chinese tourists are the worst for this. I now do not deviate if they are blocking the footpath fixed on their phones. I make a point of continuing on my course and push through if there are several of them or gently bump an individual, not aggressively but just to wake them up.

Sounds exciting.  "bump an individual, not aggressively but just to wake them up."  hows that workin' out for you?  Are they awake after bumping into you?

3 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

There is a lot of tough talk, I hate the phrase but this is real 'keyboard warrior' gold...  

.... I'm loving the 'social vigilante' aspect of guys who are dumb enough to walk around with this sense of righteousness when they judge others not to have taken their required degree of responsibility to have moved their 50% out of the way.... Almost as if these buffoons are walking around looking for the problem rather than being part of the solution by simply doing what everyone else does... as another, far more mentally balanced poster put it... ducking & weaving, avoiding contact and simply fitting in with society.

I  never bump into anyone intentionally nor do I try and get into a quarrel over others selfishness or being impolite. you have me mixed up with someone else.  I merely indicated I cannot see why so many people become addicted to a smart phone and walk around oblivious to the rest of humanity. If there is their choice so be it- I have no intention of joining them in their zombification.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a lot of tough talk, I hate the phrase but this is real 'keyboard warrior' gold...  

.... I'm loving the 'social vigilante' aspect of guys who are dumb enough to walk around with this sense of righteousness when they judge others not to have taken their required degree of responsibility to have moved their 50% out of the way.... Almost as if these buffoons are walking around looking for the problem rather than being part of the solution by simply doing what everyone else does... as another, far more mentally balanced poster put it... ducking & weaving, avoiding contact and simply fitting in with society.

Honestly all this talk of elbowing and throwing shoulders at unsuspecting civilians is kind of getting getting me turned on...:giggle:

This is becoming more and more of an issue (Zombies). I thought it would have died off by now, but it keeps growing.  Several years ago I was turning left at an intersection, when for whatever reason I noticed a young girl on the other side of the road in 'zombie mode' walking quickly and she turned to go between two cars waiting at the lights. I slowed down and sure enough she walked right in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. She heard the screech of tyres and gave me a dirty look for disturbing her crap, and then she stormed off.  I was now stopped and was bewildered when I looked at the driver of the car next to me - she shrugged and smiled as if to say "what can you do about idiots".  The girl would have probably been either dead or crippled for life if I had not slowed and then stopped, but she was just oblivious to the real world.

I think the below picture showing the new Pope's announcements in 2005 and 2013 sums it all up. These devices have made young people 'remote' from reality - they lack that 'human interaction' thing that made me slow down.

image pope 2005 2013.jpg

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good rant... Your sentiments are almost universally understood and agreed with, particularly holding the door open for others...

However, You seem to be admitting to deliberately walking into people with is a pretty 'dickish' thing to do and seems to contravene your moral standards and up bringing.

Unfortunately, we're surrounded by people who are spatially unaware and ignorant of those around them.

There is one thing I do like about living here...  the ignorance is innocent, the carelessness is accidental, I compare this to Western cities where there is often an subtle level of aggression protecting a deliberate spacial definition which if imposed upon leads to an unwelcome verbal comment or look of complete distain...  Life is too short, roll with the minor stuff, it can get up your nose but the alternatives are often worse. 

---

That said, a couple of days ago I raised my voice at the guy in front of me, I was pushing my Son in his push chair, the guy and his GF in front pushed the door open and let it swing back into the push chair... agitated, I asked the guy "Whats wrong with you?"... his look showed he had no idea what he'd done !... 

Today in a similar situation as I passed through a door I left a trailing hand to keep it open for the woman behind me (Thai) who smiled and said thank you...  Not all is lost !

He never said he deliberately walks into people. They walk into him. I do the same. I'm sick of making way for ignorant people that don't look where they are going. On the skytrain when I'm getting off I quite enjoy standing in front of people trying to get on before everyone gets off, and making them let me off first.

People just seem to never learn any manners these days, so I'm not going to accommodate them.

You use a push chair in Thailand!!!!!!

Few if any Thais use them for very good reason and would not even consider anyone using one. Seeing tourists trying to push such along the very narrow space on city pavements is either amusing or infernally annoying depending on whether I'm observing or trying to go in the opposite direction.

A lesson that took me a lifetime of being taken advantage of by people that were supposed to care for me to learn.