What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?

smo

52 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

he saw me relatively quickly - all's well that doesn't end tangled up in my bumper... it was just a startle, probably for both of us, though more likely more so for me... 

Boy that was a close one.  how close were you to a head on collision?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a lot of tough talk, I hate the phrase but this is real 'keyboard warrior' gold...  

.... I'm loving the 'social vigilante' aspect of guys who are dumb enough to walk around with this sense of righteousness when they judge others not to have taken their required degree of responsibility to have moved their 50% out of the way.... Almost as if these buffoons are walking around looking for the problem rather than being part of the solution by simply doing what everyone else does... as another, far more mentally balanced poster put it... ducking & weaving, avoiding contact and simply fitting in with society.

Richard, I am afraid that your meek and mild complacency is part of the problem, not the solution.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He never said he deliberately walks into people. They walk into him. I do the same. I'm sick of making way for ignorant people that don't look where they are going. On the skytrain when I'm getting off I quite enjoy standing in front of people trying to get on before everyone gets off, and making them let me off first.

People just seem to never learn any manners these days, so I'm not going to accommodate them.

You use a push chair in Thailand!!!!!!

Few if any Thais use them for very good reason and would not even consider anyone using one. Seeing tourists trying to push such along the very narrow space on city pavements is either amusing or infernally annoying depending on whether I'm observing or trying to go in the opposite direction.

Ultimately its better to have no expectation of others.

A lesson that took me a lifetime of being taken advantage of by people that were supposed to care for me to learn.

"On the skytrain when I'm getting off I quite enjoy standing in front of people trying to get on before everyone gets off, and making them let me off first."  Hearing you talk like this makes me so <deleted> hot!!!:giggle:

1 minute ago, ELVIS123456 said:

This is becoming more and more of an issue (Zombies). I thought it would have died off by now, but it keeps growing.  Several years ago I was turning left at an intersection, when for whatever reason I noticed a young girl on the other side of the road in 'zombie mode' .................... gave me a dirty look for disturbing her crap, and then she stormed off.  I was now stopped and was bewildered when I looked at the driver of the car next to me - she shrugged and smiled as if to say "what can you do about idiots".  The girl would have probably been either dead or crippled for life if I had not slowed and then stopped, but she was just oblivious to the real world.

I think the below picture showing the new Pope's announcements in 2005 and 2013 sums it all up. These devices have made young people 'remote' from reality - they lack that 'human interaction' thing that made me slow down.

You are combining 2 different things.

Young people are becoming zombies because they were allowed by their parents to grow up not knowing how to behave in public, and were given machines to keep them quiet because bad parents don't want to interact with or train their offspring, and bad parents are the majority.

The girl gave you a dirty look because she is an ignorant, stupid b****.

We now have drone pilots killing women and children in foreign lands because they grew up playing video games and can't tell the difference.

Doesn't matter anyway. Either global warming or antibiotic resistance is going to kill off most humans, and not a thing we can do about it.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He never said he deliberately walks into people. They walk into him. I do the same. I'm sick of making way for ignorant people that don't look where they are going. On the skytrain when I'm getting off I quite enjoy standing in front of people trying to get on before everyone gets off, and making them let me off first.

People just seem to never learn any manners these days, so I'm not going to accommodate them.

You use a push chair in Thailand!!!!!!

Few if any Thais use them for very good reason and would not even consider anyone using one. Seeing tourists trying to push such along the very narrow space on city pavements is either amusing or infernally annoying depending on whether I'm observing or trying to go in the opposite direction.

Ultimately its better to have no expectation of others.

A lesson that took me a lifetime of being taken advantage of by people that were supposed to care for me to learn.

I'll rephrase - deliberated permitting impact - its still the same, some guys (including the post I responded to) are colliding with others or allowing the collision to happen while walking just to prove a point... its childish and downright daft. 

As for the push chair in Bangkok...  Drive to a Shopping Mall... a push chair is a huge convenience. But walking the streets, thats pretty much a no-no, I feel for the guys in Wheelchairs attempting to navigate the streets, food carts, boiling oil at face height, parked motorcycles, put holes, no ramps, motorcycles etc etc...  I've digressed...  

If you're allowing someone to deliberately walk into you instead of doing your best to avoid impact you are a Tool, there really isn't more to it than that. 

Of course, the people walking around with their cell phones, or those who are so specially unaware that they make no attempt to avoid an impact while walking are also Tools... but you guys who deliberately allow impact have made yourself no better than the 'others'...  you can't re-educate the world, its easier to just roll with it than get uppity, annoyed or attempt seek some form of childish revenge for what really only amounts to the most minor of social injustices... 

13 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I have a habit of holding doors open for people and then feeling pissed when they walk through without any acknowledgement. Everyday i chant the same mantra " i will not hold the door open today" and inevitably I do and then get the shites when i get treated like an inanimate object. But once i a while someone appreciates it and makes it worthwhile.

You are acting kindly in search of a reward or recognition. Try to do this without any expectations and you will find it most rewarding.

A ban on pedestrians looking at mobile phones or texting while crossing the street will take effect in Hawaii’s largest city in late October, as Honolulu becomes the first major U.S. city to pass legislation aimed at reducing injuries and deaths from “distracted walking.”

The ban comes as cities around the world grapple with how to protect phone-obsessed “smartphone zombies” from injuring themselves by stepping into traffic or running into stationary objects.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawaii-texting-ban/honolulu-targets-smartphone-zombies-with-crosswalk-ban-idUSKBN1AD2LS

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 minutes ago, Saladin said:

Richard, I am afraid that your meek and mild complacency is part of the problem, not the solution.

Saladin... what solution is there? reeducate the whole world not to use their phones while walking around ?....   Ban phone use on footpaths?

Mild Complacency is the only valid response, what else is there? I'm certainly not going to walk around allowing people to bump into me or raise my elbows to face level just to make a point with complete strangers, that would be just idiotic.. it would also be aggressive, completely antisocial and unnecessary...

I get the impression that some of the posters would actually enjoy this little confrontation... the little immature 'Tete-a-Tete', the babyish 'argy-bargy'... walking around proving a point to all of those around them that they are right, they are the chosen morally upstanding few to reeducate the ignorant repugnant masses and awaken them from their cell-phone slumber... 

Get real, grow up, move on with life... relax and enjoy it, roll with it... smile !

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'll rephrase - deliberated permitting impact - its still the same, some guys (including the post I responded to) are colliding with others or allowing the collision to happen while walking just to prove a point... its childish and downright daft. 

As for the push chair in Bangkok...  Drive to a Shopping Mall... a push chair is a huge convenience. But walking the streets, thats pretty much a no-no, I feel for the guys in Wheelchairs attempting to navigate the streets, food carts, boiling oil at face height, parked motorcycles, put holes, no ramps, motorcycles etc etc...  I've digressed...  

If you're allowing someone to deliberately walk into you instead of doing your best to avoid impact you are a Tool, there really isn't more to it than that. 

Of course, the people walking around with their cell phones, or those who are so specially unaware that they make no attempt to avoid an impact while walking are also Tools... but you guys who deliberately allow impact have made yourself no better than the 'others'...  you can't re-educate the world, its easier to just roll with it than get uppity, annoyed or attempt seek some form of childish revenge for what really only amounts to the most minor of social injustices... 

Fair enough on the mall push chairing.

Re wheelchairs, Thailand is NOT accessible, which is why the only people on wheelchairs I've seen on the streets are paras in Pattaya on Walking Street.

LOS might become accessible in about 50 years, perhaps. No point complaining about it- just the way it is here.

BTW they don't care about beggars or poor people either.

For the rest

Being an adult is vastly overrated. I had a million times more fun when I was a kid than after I grew up.

The world is full to bursting with tools, so I'm hardly unusual then. I used to care and make way for others, but getting the shaft for a lifetime makes one less so.

Frankly, if some tool wants to walk into me because they have their face in a machine instead of looking where they are going, I'll be a tool and let them walk into me. I always stop before they actually make contact though, so it's their own fault.

8 minutes ago, Gregster said:

A ban on pedestrians looking at mobile phones or texting while crossing the street will take effect in Hawaii’s largest city in late October, as Honolulu becomes the first major U.S. city to pass legislation aimed at reducing injuries and deaths from “distracted walking.”

The ban comes as cities around the world grapple with how to protect phone-obsessed “smartphone zombies” from injuring themselves by stepping into traffic or running into stationary objects.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawaii-texting-ban/honolulu-targets-smartphone-zombies-with-crosswalk-ban-idUSKBN1AD2LS

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Won't work. Using mobiles in cars is supposed to be banned in some countries, but there are still morons using them while driving.

They'll just use a mike and earphones and hide the phone.

29 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

This is becoming more and more of an issue (Zombies). I thought it would have died off by now, but it keeps growing.  Several years ago I was turning left at an intersection, when for whatever reason I noticed a young girl on the other side of the road in 'zombie mode' walking quickly and she turned to go between two cars waiting at the lights. I slowed down and sure enough she walked right in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. She heard the screech of tyres and gave me a dirty look for disturbing her crap, and then she stormed off.  I was now stopped and was bewildered when I looked at the driver of the car next to me - she shrugged and smiled as if to say "what can you do about idiots".  The girl would have probably been either dead or crippled for life if I had not slowed and then stopped, but she was just oblivious to the real world.

I think the below picture showing the new Pope's announcements in 2005 and 2013 sums it all up. These devices have made young people 'remote' from reality - they lack that 'human interaction' thing that made me slow down.

image pope 2005 2013.jpg

You may have misinterpreted her dirty look. She was simply showing her disdain at the fact that your car didn't have ABS.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough on the mall push chairing.

Re wheelchairs, Thailand is NOT accessible, which is why the only people on wheelchairs I've seen on the streets are paras in Pattaya on Walking Street.

LOS might become accessible in about 50 years, perhaps. No point complaining about it- just the way it is here.

BTW they don't care about beggars or poor people either.

For the rest

Being an adult is vastly overrated. I had a million times more fun when I was a kid than after I grew up.

The world is full to bursting with tools, so I'm hardly unusual then. I used to care and make way for others, but getting the shaft for a lifetime makes one less so.

Frankly, if some tool wants to walk into me because they have their face in a machine instead of looking where they are going, I'll be a tool and let them walk into me. I always stop before they actually make contact though, so it's their own fault.

I like that... "Being an adult is vastly overrated"... !!! (I've ran out of likes !)

I also think 'fair enough' on your comment 'I'll be a tool and let them walk into me, I always stop before they actually make contact' which seems a far more balanced response than some posters who seem to wish to inflict some level or hurt, pain and revenge on someone just because they are spatially ignorant.... 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Saladin... what solution is there? reeducate the whole world not to use their phones while walking around ?....   Ban phone use on footpaths?

Mild Complacency is the only valid response, what else is there? I'm certainly not going to walk around allowing people to bump into me or raise my elbows to face level just to make a point with complete strangers, that would be just idiotic.. it would also be aggressive, completely antisocial and unnecessary...

I get the impression that some of the posters would actually enjoy this little confrontation... the little immature 'Tete-a-Tete', the babyish 'argy-bargy'... walking around proving a point to all of those around them that they are right, they are the chosen morally upstanding few to reeducate the ignorant repugnant masses and awaken them from their cell-phone slumber... 

Get real, grow up, move on with life... relax and enjoy it, roll with it... smile !

Jai yen, jai yen. It's just us guys blowing off some steam about ignorant morons that can't behave courteously in public, and why we no longer accommodate the idiots.

You can't change us anymore than we can change the machine zombies. Chill, you'll live longer.

For my sins, I am a lecturer at a Thai Uni and I have never felt so alone in a room of 94 students.

I deliver my lecture, try to make it sanook and still, they won't look up from their phones.

I banned them at the beginning of term and having to tell them over and over again to put them away, drives me to despair. From taking selfies with the two finger salute, to the pouting of the lips, it's all happening..........except learning.

Mobiles and their advancements are the down fall of this current young society and I do worry for them.

It has also made my job unbearably more difficult and I feel I am just pissing against the wind. Everyday is a struggle in the Thai education system.

I hate the f@@king things.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... the only remaining sociable alternative to say 'Excuse me'... or in Thailand 'Koh-Taught-Krup'... as you approach them.

Of course, the repetitive antisocial behavior of others wears thin and at times pushes us to breaking point. However, many of us enjoy living here for numerous reasons including the relaxed and non-confrontational way of life, yet you find it acceptable to behave in such an antisocial and confrontational way when it suits you.

Ahh, a Thai apologist had to appear, thank you, right on time! Actually, I'm not the one who is blocking the sidewalk when I walk alone. Therefore it is the people who are blocking the entire sidewalk who are, what did you call it....antisocial (inappropriately used but I get what you're trying for) and whatever other names your brave keyboard warrior self throws out there. So, your rant is misdirected. Oh, and thanks for the language lesson too! Do you charge for such brilliance? I suppose you're one of those old timers who bows down to any and all treatment of farangs in the pursuit of trying to be as Thai as you can? There are many of us long timers who tolerate a lot, but rude behavior, no. If you think less of yourself and accept it, that's on you. Peace...

Edited by Global Guy
update

Won't work. Using mobiles in cars is supposed to be banned in some countries, but there are still morons using them while driving.
They'll just use a mike and earphones and hide the phone.

Will work. The topic is more about keeping people's eyes off phones than stopping people from talking into a mic or wearing earphones.

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

For my sins, I am a lecturer at a Thai Uni and I have never felt so alone in a room of 94 students.

I deliver my lecture, try to make it sanook and still, they won't look up from their phones.

I banned them at the beginning of term and having to tell them over and over again to put them away, drives me to despair. From taking selfies with the two finger salute, to the pouting of the lips, it's all happening..........except learning.

Mobiles and their advancements are the down fall of this current young society and I do worry for them.

It has also made my job unbearably more difficult and I feel I am just pissing against the wind. Everyday is a struggle in the Thai education system.

I hate the f@@king things.

About 14 years ago, as a hoot, I did the teaching thing at a private Catholic school here and in South Korea. It drove me nuts until I realized that 99% of them didn't want to learn and the parents just wanted them in these classes for status related reasons. So, I gave up on trying to actually teach them and turned into a pacifying babysitter and voila! Teaching became easy and tolerable. Less lesson prep, less stress! Everyone passes!

You can't hate water if you're a fish or you will hate life! Don't drive yourself crazy. 

14 minutes ago, Global Guy said:

Ahh, a Thai apologist had to appear, thank you, right on time! Actually, I'm not the one who is blocking the sidewalk when I walk alone. Therefore it is the people who are blocking the entire sidewalk who are, what did you call it....antisocial (inappropriately used but I get what you're trying for) and whatever other names your brave keyboard warrior self throws out there. So, your rant is misdirected. Oh, and thanks for the language lesson too! Do you charge for such brilliance? I suppose you're one of those old timers who bows down to any and all treatment of farangs in the pursuit of trying to be as Thai as you can? There are many of us long timers who tolerate a lot, but rude behavior, no. If you think less of yourself and accept it, that's on you. Peace...

Thai apologist ?? where would you get that from any of my posts?....  This thread is about idiots glued to their cell phones, nationality is of little relevance other than we find ourselves in Thailand. 

Go to any city and you will find precisely the same behavior. Your own prejudices are slipping in if you think this has anything to do with treatment of 'Farangs' by Thai's... Quite frankly thats an astonishingly unintelligent and ill thought out response.

I criticise those who would choose to bump into someone to make a point rather than simply step aside, get on with their life and not engage in unnecessary confrontation.

I do agree with a couple of aspects of your post... Those who block the whole sidewalk / pavement are antisocial (i.e behaving without consideration of others), but those who promote physical contact, bumping into, even hurting those who are naively ignorant of others are worse in that they are prepared to deliberately hurt someone smaller... I bet they'd never attempt such tactics against a 6ft+ adult.

Now that said: If you think so highly of yourself that you feel it necessary to reeducate everyone who doesn't offer you the precise level of courtesy you feel you are owed you have a long miserable path ahead of you, for those who fail to leave the door open for you, those with noses in their phone who don't see your progression straight towards them, those who may bump into you when entering an elevator etc...  those kind of folk are completely indifferent to others, they are ignorant, impolite and antisocial... but you won't change them, there are too many of them... you may make yourself feel better but is it really worth it, is it worth making a stand every single day idiots who don't care?

Life is too short....  simply roll with it there are far greater issues to be concerned with. 

I find this thread highly interesting in that some can become so upset about these things....