Tourist operators in gang rape village wonder where all the visitors have gone

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed that the locals haven't set up tours to visit the scene of the rapes. Wouldn't put it past them. And we know that bus loads would show up to gape and take selfies there. All grinning like idiots, of course.

I visited Grenfell Tower 36 hours after the fire and police on a nearby station platform that overlooked the tower were having to tell some Asians to stop doing exactly that.

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

40 rapists running around, but it's still safe.

Instead of crying now, those in the know should have talked before and the problem would have never gotten so big and the police would have been heroes for solving the crime. So everything

would be dandy and brushed under the carpet.

2 hours ago, Orac said:

For it to be 40 men in a small village it is more a community rape than a gang rape and, as such, the community needs to deal with this and face up to the consequences.

I am not one for collective punishment but when such a high proportion of the population there are involved they can't just hide from this and point fingers.

I think the big hold-up in arresting these men is where it states "mired in influential figures" now where have we heard that before, in these tropical islands?

At least it seems she had the guts to report this incident, if in fact she did.

Muslim eh? What a nice religion. I thought that under 'shera' (probably got the name wrong there) law the victim of a rape had to be punished further. Stoning or something?

3 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

I wish it were true but I can't see most tourists bothering to check if the next 1 horse town on their schedule has been in the news recently. 

Yes. I don't think the village was mentioned in original articles and doubt that tourists check recent news. Koh Samui is another story.  At least some of the falang  are not returning due to increased restrictions on club opening times due to.the yes of mourning of the king. I had many tourists last season state they were not coming back this season due to the imposition of early closure restrictions.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim was raped repeatedly while her parents were out working in a case that seems to be mired in influential figures

40 out of 180 villagers... that must be just about every male (still) capable of an erection

how often does punishment get deferred for influential people in this country.... the girl will be kicked out, or worse... allowing the "influential figures" to skate... no surprises here

just keep fishing... the tourists will be back in a couple or three months, much like everywhere else.

53 minutes ago, thongplay said:

Muslim eh? What a nice religion. I thought that under 'shera' (probably got the name wrong there) law the victim of a rape had to be punished further. Stoning or something?

Read the report, it is an Muslim organization helping the family.     :shock1:

4 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

40 rapists in a town of 180?  

40 families in the village. Also 40 rapists. One per family? Does the Phu Yai Ban live in the village? They usually do.

Whether he does or doesn't, does he honestly believe that the public, think:

A. The village is safe for visitors?

B. He, the Headman wouldn't know what was going on?

And wouldn't most people on here automatically assume he was a member of one of the 40 families........

1 hour ago, thongplay said:

I think it was the mother who initiated the reporting

And... You might be confusing rape with adultery.... and/ or... law with regional abuse of doctrines

What a nice religion? .... Yep.... I read a survey that put it at number ten in the list of peaceful religions... Christianity was listed as ninth. Not much difference between ninth place and tenth place, when you think about it

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

tourism is dead on an island of 40 rapists...         why does nobody wonder why chernobyl is not a lonely place either?

Hi, Atyclb. May I make so bold as to suggest a wee rewording:

'Why does nobody wonder why Chernobyl became a lonely place?' Am I on the money, there?

5 hours ago, jspill said:

What is it with Thai islands

I can say this to many Islands around the world - "Island People" don't think like we do, I live part time in Hawaii, having lived in Papua Nieu Guinea, Fiji, Marshall Islands, East Timor, Bali.  They have a completely different mindset than Mainlanders.  I once witnessed a beating of a man in his twenties cause he talked bad about a family, (but what he said was true) but when another man raped his younger sister, no one lifted a finger to him.  I wouldn't be surprised at all f the villagers beat the girl and her family for making a complaint.  If anything at all happens to the 'Dirty Forty" it would be a miracle.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Boatman Chaliaw Romin said that before the story broke there was usually three busloads of tourists visiting the scenic area every day. This gave him 500-600 baht. Now he has nothing.

Please Mr Prime Minister - government people, please please help us - send us money like you do for the farmers.

I hope they all starve to death, the men that is.

Oh really, I feel so sad for them...[BLAST] WELL IF YOU HADN'T LET THESE MEN MOLEST FREELY THEN...ah what's the use of wasting my (our) breath. Some of those men had to be husbands...there own damn fault.

Edited by TKDfella
word insert

I'm sure it has all been said before on this thread, I am as aghast as anyone else that these people are totally self centred. It is obvious that the police are taking the whole thing seriously (remarkable in itself) and that it got out into the public domain in the first place would point to the poor girls allegations having some foundation. Personally I cannot believe that it is possible for 40 men to rape a girl in a small village and for the villagers not to know what was going on. The whole village should be punished for being complicit. In a way it seems they are in one of the most appropriate ways for such self centred, money obsessed people and it may seem a bit over the top to say this but everyone has a right to a personal opinion and mine is that once they have rounded up all the culprits they should burn the village to the ground, bulldozer it all over and return it to nature. I certainly won't be visiting this place and I firmly believe that it is every embassy's duty to clearly inform all people visiting Thailand, especially lone female backpackers, it's time for embassies to 'get with the times' and have delegates who work with organisations like trip advisor and other organisations that tourists use when travelling to keep tourists safer, or at least give them the detail to allow informed decision making on destinations. As to the boat operators, villagers, ice cream vendors etc. - stop whinging I'm not interested, I'm more interested in the plight of the poor girl, put up, shut up and clean up your filthy neighbours. 

What I find in this story is that even if she was only raped by 10 monsters, how can you make any kind of thoughts that any of this DID NOT happen. The girl is 14 years old and was threatened by multiple abusers. I pity the poor girl.

To me it's like the Thai teacher that was beaten into a coma and later died and all the villagers protected the scum that did it and nothing was ever done.