Safest way to Karon

SABloke

Hi all,

My sister is coming to see me in Phuket with her family. They will hire a car and drive to Karon themselves. Which of these routes would be the 
"safest" for a weary, first time driver in Phuket. Google suggests the middle route, but my memory about that route (7 years ago) is that it was quite a scary pass. Would the southern option be "safer"?

Thanks in advance. 

Phuket Route.png

Just now, hkt83100 said:

Maybe go to the airport and meet the family there? That give them a chance to experience the introduction to Phuket traffic from the passenger seat...

That's a good idea and I also thought about that, but unfortunately I am arriving with my family only a bit over and hour before them and won't be able to get to the hotel and then get back to the airport on time.

When I pickup or drop off somebody in Karon from the airport I nearly always take the Southern route, it normally takes about the same time. Only with dense traffic I would take the Patong Hill option, especially at the moment with roadworks in Chalong Circle. So I would say it also depends a bit on time of year and times.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

I sometimes opt for the scenic route via Naithon, Layan, Surin, Kamala. Longer but a more pleasant drive unless the traffic's bad at Cherngtalay.

Yes, if traffic is really bad at the other places (accident on Thepkassatri e.g.) I would also go scenic. At least you're driving, most of the time even through Patong.

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

I sometimes opt for the scenic route via Naithon, Layan, Surin, Kamala. Longer but a more pleasant drive unless the traffic's bad at Cherngtalay.

I opt for it as there is much lass chance of a high speed accident. I don't like the speedway racers making crazy and unexpected moves. 

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

The scenic route via Cherng Talay is ok if it is during the day.  Not advisible for a first timer to drive in the night, too many blind curves and corners.  The safest option IMO is via the middle route through Chalong Circle.  There may be some crazy drivers using the middle route as a speedway but you will be ok if you drive defensively.

12 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

The scenic route via Cherng Talay is ok if it is during the day.  Not advisible for a first timer to drive in the night, too many blind curves and corners.  The safest option IMO is via the middle route through Chalong Circle.  There may be some crazy drivers using the middle route as a speedway but you will be ok if you drive defensively.

The southern route goes through Chalong. The middle route over Patong hill.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:13 PM, SABloke said:

That's a good idea and I also thought about that, but unfortunately I am arriving with my family only a bit over and hour before them and won't be able to get to the hotel and then get back to the airport on time.

Have you considered waiting around and meeting them, so they can follow you?  I'm sure that would make their journey a lot easier.