Interesting hidden places Chiang Mai

DrPhibes

Off Mahidol Road going towards the airport there is Kuan Yin Bodhisattavas Temple. A Chinese temple with 2 large statues of a dragon and tiger that you can go in through the mouth or backside and view the large murals that are painted inside. There is also a elevated area with many temple bells and other things to see there. Free. I wish I had the photos I took there, but I grabbed these from the internet.

Dragon Statue 2.png

Dragon Statue.jpg

12 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

Wat Si Don Chai Pa Tung Ngam (Wat Mae Kaet Noi)
That gory place adjacent to the temple is referred to as a "hell garden."  There are other "hell gardens" in Thailand and I've always wondered why that's the case (given hell isn't part of the Buddhist philosophy).

Not for the squeamish and absolutely unfit for children.

22 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

The original bricks were used during WW ll to build roads by the Japanese during their occupation of Thailand ( or Siam as it was called then). Hence the reconstructions. I wouldn't mind seeing photos of the original wall around the city.

The original walls were built supposedly in the 14th century after Mengrai established the "new" city (it was new for him although the Lawa people who lived here didn't think it was so new).  Those original walls surely deteriorated over time and were likely repaired and rebuilt many times over the next 400 years.  Well after the Burmese were expelled about 1775, King Kawila (a surrogate of the Siamese Kingdom) had the walls rebuilt....and surely those walls deteriorated and were repaired and/or rebuilt many times.  Most of what you see now is a result of significant repairs and rebuilding that has occurred since the 1960's.  Probably almost all of the current walls are made of modern brick although some say that some of the old (probably meaning less than 200 years old) brick was used in some places.

I'm attaching (or will attempt to attach) a photo of one of the city gates that supposedly dates to 1890.  As you can see, it's nothing like what exists today. (I got the photo off of some site detailing some of the history of Chiangmai) 

CMCityGate1890.jpg

Edited by CMBob

16 hours ago, CMBob said:

The original walls were built supposedly in the 14th century after Mengrai established the "new" city (it was new for him although the Lawa people who lived here didn't think it was so new).  Those original walls surely deteriorated over time and were likely repaired and rebuilt many times over the next 400 years.  

Thanks for that post.

I does take the shine off those. Anyway, it does look good on the selfie. That's good enough! It is a bit like those "kattoys", I suppose. On the surface, it looks so good.

Have "you" bought that new Apple phone yet?  :whistling:

A flame has been removed, please see the following forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.