SURVEY: Do you plan on staying in Thailand permanently?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you plan to remain in Thailand permanently?  

448 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/10/2017 at 10:13 AM, cms22 said:

I'm 50. As much as I would like options, I won't have the money to live in two places. If I can keep healthy, strong and keep money coming in, then Thailand (with occasional visits back home to the UK) will be my home until I kick the bucket!

As a generality, it is more expensive, sometimes much more expensive to live in a home western country and Thailand. Of course there are exceptions based on personal circumstances. 

On ‎12‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 4:31 AM, madmitch said:

I'm in the position you refer to, having arrived here many years ago and foolishly deciding to sell my house in London. At the time with 6.5% interest in an offshore bank account, nearly 70 baht to the pound, a decent pension fund I'd built up, the cheap cost of living here and the house needing money spending on it, I thought I'd taken the right decision.

Now with a long-term Thai partner, daughter, 43 baht to the pound, interest rates of just about nothing, an increasing cost of living in Thailand, my so-called financial advisor losing me a large portion of that decent pension pot and my old UK house price tripling in value, I realise the mistake of selling up at that time, especially as my daughter is now making noises that she'd like to go to school in England.

Can I afford to go back? I don't know, but the prospect of living a frugal life in the UK as opposed to being reasonably well-off in Thailand must come into the equation. Would I go back if I still had my house? Yes, no doubt about it. Can I go back without it? That's a decision I need to make soon, with many factors to be taken into account: where could I afford to live? Will anyone employ me, even on a contract/freelance basis? Will I be happy in rented accommodation?Will I be happy with a diminished lifestyle?

Lots to think about but I want to put my daughter's education first.

Do you want to go back or is it because your daughter? Give your daughter a good education but think twice about moving back. I have kept my property for 20 years thinking good to have in case...no more, every year 1-3 months back home these years and after a month cant wait to get back to Thailand.....Europe are changed and I feel more as an outsider there than in Thailand. Thailand have a place for everyone if people come there for a better life in the middle lane and not to reach the stars.  Btw, most of us now and then speak about unfair treatment and difficult Immigrations laws in Thailand, actually Thailand does nothing else than respond to rules and laws already in place back home......don't start me up on weather, costs and regulations, anyway good luck whatever you choose   :smile:

On 13/09/2017 at 1:19 AM, Jingthing said:

As a generality, it is more expensive, sometimes much more expensive to live in a home western country and Thailand. Of course there are exceptions based on personal circumstances. 

I've reduced my outgoing expenses considerably at home now. Even just the basics of utilities, insurances, gym membership, car and bike registration and insurances, fuel, groceries, internet, mobile phone and health insurance I'm still spending the equivalent of close to 80Kthb before entertainment, international travel and council rates.

I've done a pretty detailed budget of what my costs will be living in Rayong and after the initial purchase of a car and a bike my monthly budget will be closer to 60Kthb including visa costs, classes, insurances, registrations, utilities, internet, mobile phone, rent, internet etc inc an extra amount of misc spending cash.

Theres a big difference already, not to mention the cheap entertainment on offer in Thailand (warm weather, markets, sight seeing, cheap travel) 

Quality of life will definitely improve just by escaping the rat race in Metropolitan Melbourne. Days of beach walks, cycling and gym are on the horizon!

On 9/14/2017 at 7:38 AM, MadMuhammad said:

I've reduced my outgoing expenses considerably at home now. Even just the basics of utilities, insurances, gym membership, car and bike registration and insurances, fuel, groceries, internet, mobile phone and health insurance I'm still spending the equivalent of close to 80Kthb before entertainment, international travel and council rates.

I've done a pretty detailed budget of what my costs will be living in Rayong and after the initial purchase of a car and a bike my monthly budget will be closer to 60Kthb including visa costs, classes, insurances, registrations, utilities, internet, mobile phone, rent, internet etc inc an extra amount of misc spending cash.

Theres a big difference already, not to mention the cheap entertainment on offer in Thailand (warm weather, markets, sight seeing, cheap travel) 

Quality of life will definitely improve just by escaping the rat race in Metropolitan Melbourne. Days of beach walks, cycling and gym are on the horizon!

I reckon that is correct - I also have a very detailed financial planning budget.  Here (also in Vic) I am spending just over 100K baht per month (2 people), and we dont go out, dont travel much, dont buy things, and it also doesnt include visa, travel to thailand etc etc.  But back in CM I was spending just under 70K baht per month, and we went out all the time, traveled a lot, bought a lot of things, etc etc and that included a trip back home each year.

Edited by ELVIS123456

I don't think many people can ever predict the future. 

The very fact that you are in Thailand means that permanent, forever, are probably words that you are prepared to modify in the future, if situations change.

I lived in Thailand close to a decade full time, but earlier this year I just had a Thailand overload moment. Didn't hate it, but for right now decided I couldn't take it full time, so back to the US, and we'll probably do a 50:50 US/Thailand...at least for now. It may change, it may not, I don't know what I might feel next year

What I'm trying to point out that in the future; your feelings, health, family, Thailand itself, who knows what might change. So the idea that any of us can say for sure what well feel with any absolute certainty, in 1, 5, 10 years time is a little ridiculous.

I reckon that is correct - I also have a very detailed financial planning budget.  Here (also in Vic) I am spending just over 100K baht per month (2 people), and we dont go out, dont travel much, dont buy things, and it also doesnt include visa, travel to thailand etc etc.  But back in CM I was spending just under 70K baht per month, and we went out all the time, traveled a lot, bought a lot of things, etc etc and that included a trip back home each year.

I'm thinking of moving up there for that reason, to cut costs, what area would you recommend to rent a house? It doesn't have to be in town center.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app