SURVEY: Do you plan on staying in Thailand permanently?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you plan to remain in Thailand permanently?  

448 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A fair number of members have been in Thailand for a number of years.   All things being equal, do you plan on remaining in Thailand permanently, or do you plan to return to your home country or a different country to live at some point?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 50. As much as I would like options, I won't have the money to live in two places. If I can keep healthy, strong and keep money coming in, then Thailand (with occasional visits back home to the UK) will be my home until I kick the bucket!

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Why not plan on being in Thailand and your home country in the future? Maybe 50/50 or some other percentage. Seems it would be a  popular option for  many posters. 

not an option for those who will be prey of the home country's taxman even with short stays :ermm:

19 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Great place / nice people. What's not to like?

After being here for 34 years and working and living in 9 provinces I can never go back to the USA. I have been back 2 times, once when my mother died and the second when my now wife and I went to Hawaii and the mainland to get married. I said good by to all my old NASA friends and relatives and reminded them that the plane flies both ways. No NASA friends or family members have chosen to come.

My plan is to wait until I get an early pension at 55, and then potentially move from my crappy old two bed ex-council house in the UK south to a 4 bed up north near my daughter and grandson. The difference in value is enough to fund the visa savings requirements for wife and child - and the second one after 2 year if we live reasonably and use weekly pension.

NO way in hell will I let our daughter grow up here.

I think this poll is misleading as it does not reveal if you are 'having' to stay, or have nothing to go back to - stupidly selling all your assets in your home country to move to a place you could one day be kicked out of or have to leave as requirements upgraded.

Take a poll - who has sold all their assets in home country to live here - and who cannot return because of this and what you would do if you cannot go home or live here !.  

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My plan is to wait until I get an early pension at 55, and then potentially move from my crappy old two bed ex-council house in the UK south to a 4 bed up north near my daughter and grandson. The difference in value is enough to fund the visa savings requirements for wife and child - and the second one after 2 year if we live reasonably and use weekly pension.

I think this poll is misleading as it does not reveal if you are 'having' to stay, or have nothing to go back to - stupidly selling all your assets in your home country to move to a place you could one day be kicked out of or have to leave as requirements upgraded.

Take a poll - who has sold all their assets in home country to live here - and who cannot return because of this and what you would do if you cannot go home or live here !.  

I left the UK to live here 3 months ago.  I'm not sure that 'permanent' is the right word.  It's what we are doing now, who knows about the future. I certainly have no plans to return to the UK, but we have talked about staying a few years in Penang at some point.  We have kept half our cash in the UK and invested half here in our house  etc, so that's some level of commitment.  I want to see how the politics develops (or not) before I would ever say that this is definitely it. 

I plan to go back to the US when my boy goes to HS and university, after that who knows?

If he wants to stay in the US I would likely stay as well, if he wants to return to Thailand, I would return to Thailand.

The wife will go along with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Im only 32 and I can't say I feel very excited to spend millions of baht into properties, businesses and what not with the current situation for foreigners, regarding ownership and protection. I feel I would be an idiot if I invested my money here. The risk is just not worth it. I would like to invest and stay here permanently if things changed, though its not very likely as the unstable gov't in Thailand seems to have no end to its xenophobia and within a few coups a new "forward-thinking" Prime Minister in his mid-60's would come up with brilliant ideas to worsen things for foreigners living or investing in Thailand. Thailand will be a risky country for foreigners for decades to come, if not longer, and thats even without taking violent political conflicts into the picture.

I did. In my home country, if you have (keep) assets, you are taxable. I sold everything 20y ago no regrets. But if I would like to return, I always could, I don't see why having assets or not in your home country makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Im only 32 and I can't say I feel very excited to spend millions of baht into properties, businesses and what not with the current situation for foreigners, regarding ownership and protection. I feel I would be an idiot if I invested my money here. The risk is just not worth it. I would like to invest and stay here permanently if things changed, though its not very likely as the unstable gov't in Thailand seems to have no end to its xenophobia and within a few coups a new "forward-thinking" Prime Minister in his mid-60's would come up with brilliant ideas to worsen things for foreigners living or investing in Thailand. Thailand will be a risky country for foreigners for decades to come, if not longer, and thats even without taking violent political conflicts into the picture.

Given the Brexit nuts and the Trump nuts and the Korean situation I feel safer in Thailand and have for the past 20 years.  I'm only 72 and have enough to live here comfortably and will continue to do so. I like skinny women/or reasonable facsimile who shower four times a day and I feel very much at home here. 

We all live here pretty much on the whim of Thai Immigration.  As I am married with an extended family here, and virtually no family in the US, this is "home."  But who really knows?  Many factors could change in the future, such as another financial meltdown affecting Western countries that in turn affect the abilities of Western expats to have the finances to remain.  Or Thai Immigration simply changes the rules.  If that should happen and I'm forced out due to circumstances beyond my control, then I'd go for option 3: If I don't remain in Thailand I plan to settle in another country, but not return to my home country.  Interesting enough, having lived outside of my home country for a decade, it now feels as foreign as any other foreign country.  

1 hour ago, DonaldBattles said:

After being here for 34 years and working and living in 9 provinces I can never go back to the USA. I have been back 2 times, once when my mother died and the second when my now wife and I went to Hawaii and the mainland to get married. I said good by to all my old NASA friends and relatives and reminded them that the plane flies both ways. No NASA friends or family members have chosen to come.

You must know my family in England. Seriously I know what you mean and totally agree with you 

Been working here 15 years next stop Vietnam then home to Mallorca. Thailand is fun to work and play but the last place on earth I would choose to retire. I want to end living with people who have some respect for their neighbors, keep the place clean and don't act like wild animals when criticized. Living under authority that does not constantly bow to the highest bidder is so much more relaxing.

1 hour ago, DonaldBattles said:

Be happy in LOS. And thanks for July 20, 1969.

6 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Been working here 15 years next stop Vietnam then home to Mallorca. Thailand is fun to work and play but the last place on earth I would choose to retire. I want to end living with people who have some respect for their neighbors, keep the place clean and don't act like wild animals when criticized. Living under authority that does not constantly bow to the highest bidder is so much more relaxing.

That's the ticket!

50 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

I did. In my home country, if you have (keep) assets, you are taxable. I sold everything 20y ago no regrets. But if I would like to return, I always could, I don't see why having assets or not in your home country makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have you got somewhere to live if you return? I have some investments in OZ, but nothing like I would need to buy a house or even rent long term....with rents upwards of $600  a week in some areas, returning is just not an option for me. I would have to return NOW and work (probably teach) until I retire, just to qualify for a full pension. It's not going to happen.

The only people who could easily return are those who have assets/housing and have a retirement income.