Baht Bus drivers asking for more than 10 baht

soistalker

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to overpay. I don't like Baht bus drivers, and they don't like farang. Try to pay with a 100 baht bill. 10 out of 10 times, they will want you to give it to them before they even try to get change. If you don't, they will start yelling at you with abuse, and waving a finger in your face.

Try to catch one where they wait until at least 12 people are inside before they leave, steaming in the heat of the enclosed space with the engine running and the exhaust coming out.

You overpay if you want, but my motto for Thailand is "Not a damn satang extra!"

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not advocating any fare. Just informing people what is the actual current fare. From Jomtien it is 10 baht to just past Klang and 20 after. Not Tai. Not Mikes. Not Central.

Klang.

Says you. Please show an official link or this is purely just your opinion. Earlier you wrote that the army stated at the time of the route change attempt that ALL fares are  ฿10. What is it?

I have gone from Jomtien past Klang 100's of times and been asked for  ฿20 twice. Once at Soi3 and once at Klang by a new driver. I only pay  ฿20 if it goes onto the next route to Nakluea Fish Market. That is the same as the 2 route return trip. As for longer distances a songthaew on Suk/Hwy3 from Pattaya to Sattihip is only ฿20. A much farther route than any in Pattaya. 

I can see that it is fair to charge the extra 10 baht if the northbound bus 'terminates' at Klang and turn back down beach road, if you want to continue on, hop off and walk across the street to catch the klang-north and naklua section, call it another route if you will... 

heck you can even make the driver/purse lady collect all the 10 baht before klang and makes it clear that if the bus were to continue on, you'll be charged another 10

10 hours ago, pegman said:

Says you. Please show an official link or this is purely just your opinion. Earlier you wrote that the army stated at the time of the route change attempt that ALL fares are  ฿10. What is it?

I have gone from Jomtien past Klang 100's of times and been asked for  ฿20 twice. Once at Soi3 and once at Klang by a new driver. I only pay  ฿20 if it goes onto the next route to Nakluea Fish Market. That is the same as the 2 route return trip. As for longer distances a songthaew on Suk/Hwy3 from Pattaya to Sattihip is only ฿20. A much farther route than any in Pattaya. 

Hi there. I'm on your side. I have no problem with anything you said there and I invited people to test out paying 10 well past Klang repeatedly if they want to, and you say that you have.

My position is pay the correct fare while at the same time don't take any high risk of being violently assaulted. 

In my more limited experience than yours apparently, the drivers have appeared much more likely to elevate the situation past Klang. (As I've said right after Klang is still safely in the 10 zone).

A question I have for is do you have a pattern about where you get off the bus? For example, more often closer to Hard Rock than closer to Pattaya North Road? I think that would probably make a difference in rate of driver pushbacks.

Anyway, I suggest people have the correct change, and then if there is aggressive pushback past Klang, use your judgment about whether a potential violent assault is really worth it (generally not). 

As far as military orders and your question "What is it" your guess is as good as mine. Anyone that has lived in Thailand understands there are many grey areas as far as how authority is followed. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I can see that it is fair to charge the extra 10 baht if the northbound bus 'terminates' at Klang and turn back down beach road, if you want to continue on, hop off and walk across the street to catch the klang-north and naklua section, call it another route if you will... 

heck you can even make the driver/purse lady collect all the 10 baht before klang and makes it clear that if the bus were to continue on, you'll be charged another 10

The fare is 10 baht until just past Klang whether they turn or not. 

The latter paragraph generally doesn't happen, so I characterize that as irrelevant. 

Thais use public transport in every habitation in Thailand, and it usually costs more than 10 baht. A Thai trying to get a red songtheaw in Chiang Mai for 10 baht would be in for a shock. Pattaya is unusual.
That's not the point if they double the price that might cost some Thai people a 1000THB a month. A lot when you might only earn about 15000.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am glad I read this Thread. I was never sure If they was cheating me on the rare occasion I have been charged 20THB past klang.Or if the other driver just forgot where I got on. But I am going to continue to pay 10THB and play dumb. And then just have a little chuckle to myself as I walk of. There is no one else I would consider cheating in Thailand only these people. Nearly all of them are dishonest in my opinion. Just watch when you give them 20THB for a 10THB fare and they slightly hesitate to see if you are expecting change. Plus I could go on for ages with all the other problems I've had with them over the years. But you've all hered the storys before.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, JHolmesJr said:

rule #1 is never ask "how much"…..just keep ur 10 bht coin ready, disembark, pay without making eye contact and walk (don't run)  in the opposite direction.

I do that, but I also keep another handy in case he gets out with a steel bar. These days I couldn't outrun a lame sloth.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, pegman said:

As for longer distances a songthaew on Suk/Hwy3 from Pattaya to Sattihip is only ฿20. A much farther route than any in Pattaya. 

Up in Chiang Mai if I take the yellow songtheaw to Hang Dong it costs me 10 baht to Big C, but if I were to take a red songtheaw it would be 30 if I were lucky.

You are talking apples and oranges. Both are songtheaws, but run under different fare structures, so your point is erroneous.

Try asking a Pattaya City baht bus to take you to Sattahip for 20 baht.............

Much gnashing of teeth about not paying too much, but I doubt any of you would go to work for an equivalent amount. It has been 10 baht since the 90s and there has been inflation in that time.

Anyway, don't be surprised if the price does go up.

On September 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM, juice777 said:

I am glad I read this Thread. I was never sure If they was cheating me on the rare occasion I have been charged 20THB past klang.Or if the other driver just forgot where I got on. But I am going to continue to pay 10THB and play dumb. And then just have a little chuckle to myself as I walk of. There is no one else I would consider cheating in Thailand only these people. Nearly all of them are dishonest in my opinion. Just watch when you give them 20THB for a 10THB fare and they slightly hesitate to see if you are expecting change. Plus I could go on for ages with all the other problems I've had with them over the years. But you've all hered the storys before

Paying the correct local fare is also great practice for newbies and tourists in a situation that's not too dangerous.

if you want to survive in a less affluent country you need to be vigilant and stand your ground on small things so you won't get ripped off on the big things.

on a side note:

if the driver stops and nothing is posted technically the ride is free. Anything else is a negotiation when you get off.

So don't get duped into paying whatever they ask if you think it's over the going rate (does not account for steel bars, group mobbing etc).

just like a meter taxi if the meter is off you can't see the fare and it's not an above board ride. If the police show up there is no fare or evidence you knew what you had to pay.

Edited by Jim Turner Mad Punx

Where do people get all these 10B coins? Go shopping? Have a beer? Is there a place to get a whole roll of them? Difficult to get change from a driver paying with a 20B 

It takes some effort. One time I tried to get 500 baht in 10s from a bank that I have a large account with for years. They only gave me 200. So I don't try banks.

Where do people get all these 10B coins? Go shopping? Have a beer? Is there a place to get a whole roll of them? Difficult to get change from a driver paying with a 20B 
It's the easiest thing in the world you just say 10THB please in Thai if you can or English if you can't. Never not had one say no. And when I leaving my condo I always take 10 1B they must hate me.

It takes some effort. One time I tried to get 500 baht in 10s from a bank that I have a large account with for years. They only gave me 200. So I don't try banks.
Wow I can't believe people are having a problem of not acuallty getting there 10THB back. I know they try it on but never once have they not given it back. They usually just hesitate for a second to see if you are suspecting the change. On the rare occasions they don't give it back I just say 10THB please.

Next time you are on one and a group of Indian or Russian tourists get of try and have a look at how much they pay. Last week I saw 1 pay a 100THB for 4 people.

48 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Wow I can't believe people are having a problem of not acuallty getting there 10THB back. I know they try it on but never once have they not given it back. They usually just hesitate for a second to see if you are suspecting the change. On the rare occasions they don't give it back I just say 10THB please.

Next time you are on one and a group of Indian or Russian tourists get of try and have a look at how much they pay. Last week I saw 1 pay a 100THB for 4 people.

I don't have that problem because I always have change. So I can't speak to personal experience about driver's being reluctant to give change. 

I would rather not have that concern. What I meant is that it can be a hassle to always have change. I've managed it but I'm not overly stressed if I don't.

Edited by Jingthing

8 hours ago, tchk said:

The condo block where I live has a 7-11 and they will give the coins in your change; if you ask and if they have them. People need them for the launderette. I try to save them up as I get them and keep in a drawer.

The big rift off ( and terrible PR for the "vacation city" ) are all the visitors ( seems to be mostly young Korean & Japanese) that arrive by bus from BKK, then are squeezed like sardines on a public mafia "baht bus" ( songtaew) at the Pattaya Nua bus station (luggage & 12 people) then 50 baht is collected from each person before dropped off at their hotel soi along Beach Rd or 2nd Street. This has been going on for almost a year with no one correcting this rip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I pay with a 5 plus smaller often bit never all ones.
Haha I do it all the time. I take it out of my small money pot every time I leave my condo. If I didn't do that and put them in the water machine I would probably have about 100000THB worth if them now.

28 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Some months ago City Hall (read: the army) did set up routes for bahtbuses and set the Bahtbus fare to 10 baht. Period!

If a baht bus driver demands 20 baht he didn't stick to his route, but that isn't your problem.  

That's true but there definitely isn't any enforcement on the 10 baht thing for all rides. So that announcement has no teeth. The stops thing was cracked down on for at least a few days because that's something that can be visibly observed. 

On September 15, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Jingthing said:

Whenever I go to Bangkok I use ฿100 bills in the metro and Skytrain automated tic machines. The change is all in coin. A cashier I have known for years at a Walking beer bar also sells me coins. I never use coins when buying anything. Those things just barely keep me in baht bus coins.

On September 12, 2017 at 2:01 AM, Jingthing said:

Hi there. I'm on your side. I have no problem with anything you said there and I invited people to test out paying 10 well past Klang repeatedly if they want to, and you say that you have.

My position is pay the correct fare while at the same time don't take any high risk of being violently assaulted. 

In my more limited experience than yours apparently, the drivers have appeared much more likely to elevate the situation past Klang. (As I've said right after Klang is still safely in the 10 zone).

A question I have for is do you have a pattern about where you get off the bus? For example, more often closer to Hard Rock than closer to Pattaya North Road? I think that would probably make a difference in rate of driver pushbacks.

Anyway, I suggest people have the correct change, and then if there is aggressive pushback past Klang, use your judgment about whether a potential violent assault is really worth it (generally not). 

As far as military orders and your question "What is it" your guess is as good as mine. Anyone that has lived in Thailand understands there are many grey areas as far as how authority is followed. 

Agreed. I go to BigC/Soi3 or Nakluea Fish Market so I get off at North Rd if it stops at the stand. Sometime they will go on to the Fish Market and I then pay ฿20. After you brought up the  ฿20 past Klang issue up a couple years ago I started getting off at Soi8 and walk down to Klang if I'm headed east. Aso I generally always have a  ฿10 coin to pay. 

On 9/10/2017 at 1:39 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I am completely bereft of "first world guilt". I look at value for money. If I can get a 4-8 km ride for 20 baht, while avoiding car and moto taxi mafia, that's cheap, and more so, a steal in Thai terms. That 4-8 km range in BKK taxi is 50 to 70 baht. A 2 km ride on a soi moto is 20 baht. 

If you can get a taxi in BKK to use their meter. That's not easy around the central tourist areas.