Round the world UK cyclist, 21, is not worried about accidents in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Round the world UK cyclist, 21, is not worried about accidents in Thailand

Screen Shot 2560-09-11 at 10.08.28 AM.png

Image: Krobkruakao.com

A young female cyclist pedaling around the world told Thai media she is not worried about having an accident in the kingdom.

Because Alex, 21, says she always keeps to the edge of the road.

Krobkruakao.com found her cycling with her possessions on the back along the scenic route next to the Mae Ping River in Tak province in Thailand's north west.

The media said tourists were usually in large groups so their attention was alerted to the lone cyclist who they said was very pretty.

Alex told them she left the UK two months ago and had been to Europe, America and Australia and had now turned her attention to Asia.

She said she manages to do about 100 kilometers a day though progress recently had been slowed due to the monsoon season.

She always receives a great reception wherever she goes, she said.

She added that she was not concerned about accidents as she keeps to the side of the road.

She plans to complete her round the world trip in a total of about 5 to 6 months and will then return to the UK.

Thaivisa notes that a round the world cyclist on the Thai roads last year was wiped out by a large truck on the Friendship Highway.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-11

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Totally naive about Thailand's  roads. If I recall correctly the Chilean cyclist was wiped out by an  impatient driver of a pick up truck which was 'undertaking' in the same hard shoulder 

At court the wife told the judge that this was illegal and got the reply " Oh! Everybody does that" She then said "Thailand is cursed"

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

So many cyclists are killed here it is quite remarkable. She is incredibly naive and stupid if she is not worried. Killing people on the roads is one of the areas where Thailand truly excels. 

Two British cyclist killed on the Thai leg of their round the world trip: http://www.samuitimes.com/two-british-cyclist-killed-thai-leg-round-world-trip/

Australian cyclist killed in Ayutthaya: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30317539

AROUND THE WORLD CYCLIST KILLED IN THAILAND: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/02/around-the-world-cyclist-killed-in-thailand/

Etc.

Agreed.  And impossible to provide all the links for Thai cyclists that have been killed.  The roads here are very dangerous.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A young female cyclist pedaling around the world told Thai media she is not worried about having an accident in the kingdom.

She'll learn.

Hopefully by observation.

Dangerous as the roads are, the way the numbers work out is that she has (for example) a 1 in 100,000 chance of being killed on Thai roads instead of a 1 in 250,000 chance on safer roads.  Fatalities are reported on the basis of deaths per billion km traveled.  Her odds are pretty good.  But I wouldn't let my kid do it.

Godspeed to her.

51 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I recall the last round the world cyclist got flattened by a rolling pick-up whilst riding his bike in Thailand

So did the article.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thaivisa notes that a round the world cyclist on the Thai roads last year was wiped out by a large truck on the Friendship Highway.

Hope she doesn't see it...

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You would only need to worry if the country had any rapists, thieves or murderers running about, or dangerous and reckless drivers on the roads. I hope she has some lucky amulets on her handlebars.

At least in this country she can get her hands on "lucky amulets".

What's she going to do when she hits the countries we all come from.(or do those types not exist there)?

Unfortunate for Alex, what she doesn't understand are the lines on Thai roads don't mean anything, and vehicles routinely will swerve back and forth across lanes and will drive on 'the edge of the road' right along with bikes and motorcycles, and let's not forget that cars, trucks, and motorcycles routinely drive on the 'edge of the road' when driving the wrong way down highways and one-way streets.  Hopefully the young lass doesn't find out the hard way.  

Not the sharpest of responses in recognition of Thailand's second highest global road mortality stats.

While the chances are low, when compared to most other countries the statistics and recent history both show that she should have concerns and apply extra vigilance, especially by not traveling in the evenings (in the dark etc) and avoiding major high-ways etc.

Keeping to the edge of the road alone is not 'sufficient' vigilance against getting mowed down by a careless and ignorant day-dreaming idiot.... Rear View Mirror, even rear-facing Radar would aid vigilance an make the journey a little safer.

Good luck to here, I feel her response is more of 'fingers crossed and hope for the best' rather than a genuine evaluation of the risks involved. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Actually all over the world edge of the road is no longer safe as more and more motorists are reading and sending chats while driving. There's been a serious uptick in traffic accidents and deaths worldwide in the last two years after decades of falling death and accident rates. 

I hope she stays safe. 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

She should be worried,even the edge of the road is not safe,when you have

motorbikes and even cars, trucks coming towards you,on your side of the road.

regards worgeordie

She doesn't know she is about to commit suicide.

I wish her a safe journey without the ridicule.  I hope she is street smart as I'm just as concerned for her personal safety as her road safety.

Maybe the TAT can do a story on her experiences in Thailand and have an ambulance follow her with flashing sirens.

Edited by smileydude

Well i hope she is able to stay safe on the roads here.

To say she is not worried is crazy, i was not worried riding my motorbike on the dual carriageway.

There is no side of the road out of bounds here, i am going that way so <deleted> u get out of my way.

Now i am paraplegic,. because of a clown going the wrong way.

I wish her all the best & hope she makes it safely, I've been riding m/bikes for six years here & generally refer to the inside lane, where we're supposed to ride as the "death" lane..

I ride in the middle of the next lane out despite the occasional fine from the BIB for doing so as it gives you more room to get out of the way of the others, I also try to always assume that every car, truck, bus M/bike or pedestrian come to that are consciously trying to kill you, it's safer that way..... 

You gotta be good..or your dead..must see it first..Brave gal....good luck...have a great ride....rock on..

hehehe..i recently went down with the ice cream o lady on a vespa like bike.  she was giving me a ride....she lost it a left turn. we went down on the tarmac...just a slight scrap on me....so funny....made my day..she refused payment,,,I insisted she take 15thb...so funny Thailand..