Vendors Ordered Off Central Lardprao Sidewalks

snoop1130

Vendors Ordered Off Central Lardprao Sidewalks

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

ห้างสรรพสินค้า-696x452.jpg

Central Lardprao file photo. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Chinese knockoffs of K-pop fashion, styrofoam cups of fish balls tossed in spicy sauces and pungent skewers of grilled squid may disappear from a busy stretch of Phahonyothin Road next month.

Officials announced Monday that sidewalk-clogging stalls must clear out by the end of October from in front of The One Park and Central Lardprao shopping malls in Bangkok’s Chatuchak district as part of an ongoing cleanup of the city’s sidewalks. Vendors were ordered to vacate the sidewalks across from Central Lardprao last year.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2017/09/11/vendors-ordered-off-central-lardprao-sidewalks/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-11-9

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

The scandal of the mass social/ethnic cleansing by the authorities has now caught world attention. Especially the destruction of the Thai street food scene. Its a shameful disgrace.

If they force Long Chuay (the blind busker at Phayon Yothin MRT) away....there may be no hope...he's actually good !

can't wait for them to clear the pavements in my area, it's time the less fortunate in society; disabled, elderly, infirm, blind,  were able to move around the city unhindered by the selfish, illegal few. i'm more than happy for street vendors to exist but in a legal and non-anti-social way.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

can't wait for them to clear the pavements in my area, it's time the less fortunate in society; disabled, elderly, infirm, blind,  were able to move around the city unhindered by the selfish, illegal few. i'm more than happy for street vendors to exist but in a legal and non-anti-social way.

funny that you think they are doing this for the less-fortunate... this is about gentrification, making areas appealing for the rich and appeasing the big businesses... got sod all to do with ordinary people

13 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

funny that you think they are doing this for the less-fortunate... this is about gentrification, making areas appealing for the rich and appeasing the big businesses... got sod all to do with ordinary people

I don't think the rich are inconvenienced by having to step into the road because they can't walk where people are supposed to walk because they are clogged by vendors. They drive or take taxis. It actually affects ordinary people who can't easily get from A to B without negotiating their way past the illegal businesses. As for gentrification, perhaps you prefer the oil-clogged drains and ramshackle stools and tables that block the way. Each to their own. I also can't see how big business benefits from cleared sidewalks.

Not sure, why would someone go into a local indoor restaurant when they can eat street food cheaper? Why would someone pay the high prices for clothing sold in Central ladphrao mall when they can get it off the street cheaper, selling on the mall property even. To be honest I cannot recall having problems maneuvering around street vendors and I am pretty big weighing in at 105 kg @ 6' tall. 

Not sure, why would someone go into a local indoor restaurant when they can eat street food cheaper? Why would someone pay the high prices for clothing sold in Central ladphrao mall when they can get it off the street cheaper, selling on the mall property even. To be honest I cannot recall having problems maneuvering around street vendors and I am pretty big weighing in at 105 kg @ 6' tall. 
The cloths sold in the stalls are advertised as cotton 100%..yeah right try 75%polyester the mark up is off the charts!
Bought one once and was trapped in sweat within 5 minutes.. Ever notice the disgusting farang with BO are wearing shiny red stall sold Ferrari polos?
Good riddence to those scammers!!

29 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

It's part of the charm of Thailand. Why kill what makes Thailand, and specifically Bangkok so unique from other cities ?

Once foot traffic starts to decline in the malls and other venues where the street vendors are eliminated....they will be back...money talks. 

I'm gonna miss the soy and corn milk lady at the bottom of the steps as you head to Central......I'm tearing up now.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

street vendors take up a significant % of sidewalk and many people slow and stop thus obstruct others that need to use sidewalk to get from point a to b.  thais dont seem to be phased by it but many non thai's are.

I am not thai, I am a rather large californian and have yet to be annoyed by any street vendors. But then there other farangs that cannot even return a friendly hello from a fellow traveler. 

19 hours ago, samsensam said:

amen to that.  the vast majority of these public space stealing stalls are selling the same ol' crap that's available in shops or organized markets.  the very few street food vendors that actually offer quality dishes will  bounce back because they produce actual value.  for the rest, good riddance. 

On 9/11/2017 at 9:52 PM, samsensam said:

Don't worry, they'll make sure to clear away the blind and disabled buskers and elderly vendors just for you. 

Edited by lamyai3

19 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I am not thai, I am a rather large californian and have yet to be annoyed by any street vendors. But then there other farangs that cannot even return a friendly hello from a fellow traveler. 

its not about friendliness or saying hello. almost daily i walk to the mrt train and 90% time just walk on the road next to  oncoming cars because the sidewalk is taken by vendors and thais walking ever so slowly and aimlessly while window shopping and looking at their mobiles, and this is a major important thoroughfare and people need to get to and from the mrt for work. many thais see it as an outdoor shopping mall and have no awareness that other people need to get somewhere.

7 hours ago, atyclb said:

its not about friendliness or saying hello. almost daily i walk to the mrt train and 90% time just walk on the road next to  oncoming cars because the sidewalk is taken by vendors and thais walking ever so slowly and aimlessly while window shopping and looking at their mobiles, and this is a major important thoroughfare and people need to get to and from the mrt for work. many thais see it as an outdoor shopping mall and have no awareness that other people need to get somewhere.

Yea, it is so terrible when I fail to allow myself enough time to get to the MRT and I get impatient with the people that were born here, you know natives. 

But curious how I never saw a wetback or asian immigrant in California get upset at locals slowing them down. (Sarcasm).. maybe someone of influence should suggest creating an express lane in the sidewalk. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Yea, it is so terrible when I fail to allow myself enough time to get to the MRT and I get impatient with the people that were born here, you know natives. 

But curious how I never saw a wetback or asian immigrant in California get upset at locals slowing them down. (Sarcasm).. maybe someone of influence should suggest creating an express lane in the sidewalk. 

LOL.  i have thai friends that feel the same way i do but they are a minority. i walk on the road as i know it is unrealistic to think they will change. i have travelled extensively in latin america and not see the thai style walking.  during rush hour when the mrt escalators all go up and passengers must walk down stairs often it is as if they are crawling. its as if if move any slower it would be rigor mortis.

ps in seoul i had to step aside and rest because the rush hour walking speed was sooo fast.

ps 2; a thai friend that grew up in america had severely sprained his ankle and had a big ace wrap and he was cracking up because he was walking faster than the locals.

Edited by atyclb