Thai tourists warned of Dutch ban on Ya Hom powder 

webfact

Thai tourists warned of Dutch ban on Ya Hom powder 

a6b2b1d6faf9cd745cf664d2e182e35f.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Ministry has warned Thais travelling to Netherlands not to carry a traditional Chinese medicinal powder with them as it has ingredients banned under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Cites).

The Facebook page of the ministry’s Protection of Thai Nationals Abroad Division said the ingredients of Five Pagoda Ya Hom powder are from endangered plants under Cites. Permission is required to import such ingredients.

The powder is used to treat nausea and stomach ache, as well as for as a pickmeup if you are tired or feel faint.

The ministry said that the Dutch customs authority is also restricting items that have components from tigers, big cats, crocodiles and varanus. The importation of any of these items requires an official permit.

Officials have focused their attention on Dutch nationals who have visited Thailand rather than Thai tourists.

Objects banned from entering the country include wood catapults, orchids with roots and cash more than 10,000 euros, medicinal herbs and Chinese medicine.

To check on banned items, travellers are urged to contact: www.douane.nl, FB: Douane Nederland, Twitter: @doune or Instagram: douane_nl.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30326484

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-12

How nice....but what a strange restriction comming from a country where public recreationnal drug consumption is liberal...

in other words, ok if you carry and consume small amounts of lethal drugs like ecstasy or cocaine, but beware if you carry traditionnal medicine for your health!

No offence please to my dear dutch friends:thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

How nice....but what a strange restriction comming from a country where public recreationnal drug consumption is liberal...

in other words, ok if you carry and consume small amounts of lethal drugs like ecstasy or cocaine, but beware if you carry traditionnal medicine for your health!

Even harddrugs are legal there these days, i can name you streets where there are plenty of dealers standing 24 hrs a day and they sell everything...also labs for xtc or meth are being found almost daily now. The Dutch government does nothing at all to enforce the laws...but catapults (only wooden ones from Thailand hahaha) are illegal now it seems....If little Jan makes his own one it's fine i guess...

I had never heard of this powder, even not after 15 years Thailand. I would like to know the punishment if one gets caught at Schiphol airport with it. I guess if you just put the powder in another jar from some herbpowder they even can't see the difference.

Any drug is easy available there, many other Europeans come to Holland to buy...they must be waiting for other countries to blame them and maybe then they'll do a crackdown.

Today was in a dutch newspaper that they were training a policedog to find drugs, a young dog. But the dog kept barking at the condominium next to the policeoffice nonstop so finally they called the police to investigate that place where the dog always barked....then they found another meth-lab, right next to the policestation 55555. That dog is a hero now.

56 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

No offence taken, these traditional medicine are banned because the ingredients are from animals that are on the endangered species list. Makes sense, just like ivory is banned. 

53 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I'm not offended (as Dutch), but from someone with a nickname with observer in his name you might expect that he/she can read. 

They are trying to protect endangered plant species. Nothing to do with drugs. 

28 minutes ago, Cheops said:

I'm not offended (as Dutch), but from someone with a nickname with observer in his name you might expect that he/she can read. 

They are trying to protect endangered plant species. Nothing to do with drugs. 

If I can read?...:cheesy:...ok so you did get offended with my previous post comment....but you did not catch the point...well to answer you, perhaps some cannot read but worse is that some cannot think!! (the sun glasses maybe)

Consider all those cosmetics, mostly the anti ageing that are fully legally and openly sold in the west, that contain high concentration of animal cells that are taken from animals who are bred and killed for cosmetic purposes...of course the pharmas deny any form of cruelty, but the point is there..and one could go on and on with similar issues....but of course it is easier for the dutch to ban a powder from China then to ban something from a powerful western pharma group that bribes its way through european laws.

Regarding the dutch hardcore drug open supermarket?...is it better to protect and prevent a society from becoming a world class junkie enivronment or it is more an urgent issue to ban a powder that contains components from tigers and elephants? I love animals so please don't twist once again what I am saying, but I feel that humanity does deserve equal care to be preserved just like the animals do!

Edited by observer90210

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

e to ban a powder that contains components from tigers and elephants?

I guess you're right, tigers and elephants are highly protected in the Netherlands. I believe this more than the plants Rob is writing about.

But it must be expensive powder if it's made from those animals? And why don't they warn Chinese tourists to not bring it? Is it mostly sold in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

If I can read?...:cheesy:...ok so you did get offended with my previous post comment....but you did not catch the point...well to answer you, perhaps some cannot read but worse is that some cannot think!! (the sun glasses maybe)

Consider all those cosmetics, mostly the anti ageing that are fully legally and openly sold in the west, that contain high concentration of animal cells that are taken from animals who are bred and killed for cosmetic purposes...of course the pharmas deny any form of cruelty, but the point is there..and one could go on and on with similar issues....but of course it is easier for the dutch to ban a powder from China then to ban something from a powerful western pharma group that bribes its way through european laws.

Regarding the dutch hardcore drug open supermarket?...is it better to protect and prevent a society from becoming a world class junkie enivronment or it is more an urgent issue to ban a powder that contains components from tigers and elephants? I love animals so please don't twist once again what I am saying, but I feel that humanity does deserve equal care to be preserved just like the animals do!

Not sure what country your from... but we had 156 murders last year population 16 million.. how does your country compare ?  We don't have a drug or violence problem.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I guess you're right, tigers and elephants are highly protected in the Netherlands. I believe this more than the plants Rob is writing about.

But it must be expensive powder if it's made from those animals? And why don't they warn Chinese tourists to not bring it? Is it mostly sold in Thailand?

I said no such thing.. i said animals.. as in Tigers Rhinos ect... these medicine contain protected animals. That is why i said it makes sense as we ban Ivory too. 

16 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I see your point but humans are not yet an endangered species,a protected species they seem to be.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure what country your from... but we had 156 murders last year population 16 million.. how does your country compare ?  We don't have a drug or violence problem.

Yup you're right, it was Cheops writing about endangered plants.

We do have a drugproblem in Holland though, harddrugs that is. Holland is the factory for it, same goes for guns (machineguns) which are easy available in Holland. The UK already complainted about that to Holland but so far i haven't read about a crackdown on those.

The problem with all those harddrugs is that kids ruin their life by using it too often at young age. And since it is illegal to sell or have it in Holland the police should act but they don't...Haven't you read about the mocro-maffia? Every day there are shootings in Amsterdam or Rotterdam...it's gangsters killing eachother for drugdeals.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

We do have a drugproblem in Holland though, harddrugs that is. Holland is the factory for it, same goes for guns (machineguns) which are easy available in Holland. The UK already complainted about that to Holland but so far i haven't read about a crackdown on those.

The problem with all those harddrugs is that kids ruin their life by using it too often at young age. And since it is illegal to sell or have it in Holland the police should act but they don't...Haven't you read about the mocro-maffia? Every day there are shootings in Amsterdam or Rotterdam...it's gangsters killing eachother for drugdeals.

But with a record low in murders, can't see how those drugs are making people kill each-other.  I have taken harddrugs xtc and so have many of my friends. Never had a problem with it took it maybe once month or so or less. Plenty of recreational users.. knew quite a few people using coke when i still worked at the stock exchange company (seems traders had no problems with it). 

Sure there will always be some idiots who take too much but a lot of people can handle their habit. Anyway guess we got different opinion there. 

I lived close to Volendam, you know coke city.. these guys worked real had and partied hard... not too much crime there. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

But with a record low in murders, can't see how those drugs are making people kill each-other.  I have taken harddrugs xtc and so have many of my friends. Never had a problem with it took it maybe once month or so or less. Plenty of recreational users.. knew quite a few people using coke when i still worked at the stock exchange company (seems traders had no problems with it). 

Sure there will always be some idiots who take too much but a lot of people can handle their habit. Anyway guess we got different opinion there. 

I lived close to Volendam, you know coke city.. these guys worked real had and partied hard... not too much crime there. 

I did the same when i was young but i 've seen several friends ruining their lives with it...especially with lsd..They didn't become criminals though or i wouldn't be friends with them but some started stealing from their family or borrough money and never pay back...things like that...it's not that they all become bankrobbers or serial killers, also some went into rehab which is also not a good thing but at least it helped them.

Also i've seen friends spending fortunes on those stupid drugs and without them they couldn't have fun anymore. Some even commited suicide.

But with all the drugs of the world easy available i wonder who is interested in this chinese powder, chinese love that stuff so maybe they ordered it? Any sane dutch person wouldn't use it if he knew it was made from elephants or tigers me thinks.

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

The OP wrote: "The Facebook page of the ministry’s Protection of Thai Nationals Abroad Division said the ingredients of Five Pagoda Ya Hom powder are from endangered plants under Cites"

So, yes, it's about the plants and not about animals in this case. 

1 minute ago, Cheops said:

The OP wrote: "The Facebook page of the ministry’s Protection of Thai Nationals Abroad Division said the ingredients of Five Pagoda Ya Hom powder are from endangered plants under Cites"

I see, well then i wonder which plants they are talking about..

There's one that (i forgot the name but it sounds like a boxers name) you eat the roots from, it grows here and in malaysia...but that one is also grown on farms i read....it grows slow though..the roots give energy...

36 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Regarding the dutch hardcore drug open supermarket?...is it better to protect and prevent a society from becoming a world class junkie enivronment or it is more an urgent issue to ban a powder that contains components from tigers and elephants?

Let's look at Portugal shall we. The most liberal drug laws in the world and their country and society is not going down ("becoming a world class junkie environment") it's going up. Employment up, crime down, jails emptying for instance. Let's now look at the Chinese. Elephants, rhinos, tigers all manner of animals being decimated for their superstitious consumption. For me I think the latter of this part of your post is more important. 

14 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Let's look at Portugal shall we. The most liberal drug laws in the world and their country and society is not going down ("becoming a world class junkie environment") it's going up. Employment up, crime down, jails emptying for instance. Let's now look at the Chinese. Elephants, rhinos, tigers all manner of animals being decimated for their superstitious consumption. For me I think the latter of this part of your post is more important. 

I never heard of Portugal being a drug country...

I found the plant though, this one is famous among bodybuilders and grows here...and is getting extinct.

Tongkat Ali

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor roots plant thailand bodybuilding

or this one:

https://thaibutea.com/

Thai with butea root

Edited by Thian

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

lethal?

as for your confusion as to why  the powder is banned, i would suspect actually reading the article may clear it up.

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

I read in the first line something about fauna... that is why i thought animals.. flora = plants.. it said flora and fauna.. but later as you state its about plants. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I read in the first line something about fauna... that is why i thought animals.. flora = plants.. it said flora and fauna.. but later as you state its about plants. 

555, the article is not very clear indeed.

14 minutes ago, Cheops said:

They only warn Thai travelers I think. The used plants are apparently not endangered in Thailand (or they don't care).

Ingredients in Ya-Hom : Agastache Herba(Huo Xiang), Lysimachia Herba (Ling xiang cao), Citrus Peel (Chen Pi), Cinnamon Bark (Rou gui), Chinese mint (mentha arvensis)(bo he), Sichuan lovage rhizome (Chuanxiong), Licorice root (gan cao), Clove flower  (ding xiang), Agarwood wood (Aquillaria Agallocha)(chen xiang), Southern tsangshu Rhizome (cang zhu), Angelica anomalla Rhizome (bai zhi) and Menthol.

I wonder which plant is the protected one (according to Holland), i guess one of the first mentioned.