Do you procrastinate,prevaricate,and always have an excuse

marko kok prong

I am a terrible procrastinator, and prevaricator, i will rarely do today that which i cannot put off until some further date,i wonder is it age,Thailand,too much beer,that has seemed to gradually like some kind of IV drip depositing lethargy in my vein's,,i wonder if any other posters have faced this since coming to Thailand?

I was warned about it, C.P. (creeping procrastination), by an old hand when I first came here about fourteen years ago; he was the same age as myself, he worked here and had been here for many years, he said I'd probably catch it and slowly, slowly, I did so I don't think it's down to age - like 'the spirit of giving', 'mai pben rai', and 'up to you' - it's in the air!

It has nothing to do with beer or alcohol I am an almost tea totaller. 

Maybe its a kind of virus or a bacteria? Probably contagious, for in any case, I am also affected.:coffee1:

"and always have an excuse"

...The difference... is I do not need any :biggrin:

I have been feeling the same for the last 6 months, been in Thailand now for 10 years.

I think its just that I am getting bored and the same routine is just getting me down so last week I

have decided to move to another condo and maybe jumpstart myself again. 

You are looking at the "problem" from the wrong end.

In Thailand one is allowed to not care enough about something to do anything about it.

Your resolution (that fails) to "do things" is a leftover from your life in the West, where one must always be discontent, where one must always be trying harder/"achieving"/"improving" oneself and the world...........doing things

It derives from ancient Western doctrine that we "fell from grace" and have to to constantly "strive" re-establish ourselves in Gods "good books" and re-create the Garden of Eden, literally for many in their suburban paradises packed with perfect gadgets, and carefully mown, back garden mini-Edens.........but still they remain discontent.

It constantly re-surfaces and manifests in many forms......notions of humanities "purpose"/duty, personal ambition, social and political doctrine, (left, right and centre).

It is an inescapable part of Western Civilisation......until one leaves Western Civilisation behind and re-locates to a different one. 

You are de-toxing..........congratulations.

Edited by Enoon

In Indonesia they call it "karat jam" or 'rubber time'.

In Thailand I call it Thai-girl time meaning if you want her to do something at noon that means 'today -- maybe'. But if it's something she wants to do at noon at 11:50 AM the phone rings "Where are you?"

Edited by JLCrab

No, can't say that I have changed much after more than 20 years in Thailand. Maybe I ought to rephrase that, Ha! I suspect that many retired expats were like me. Back in my own country I often worked 14+ hours a day and OT at the w/e. Yeah, okay the bank account was accumulating nicely thank you but many a time I got home to a empty house (wife left me for another guy, Ha!) I thought 'is this it?' Thailand was like paradise compared to that. I don't find excuses nor do I put off things till later...why? Because the sooner I do what needs to be done the sooner I've got free time to do what I want. I think what many chaps actually do is just adapting to their own particular environment...and why not, indeed! Maybe it's just easier to adapt to Thailand than it was to the ever changing, ever more difficult life back in the home country. So chaps, don't blame yourself too much...in fact give yourself a 'pat on the back'...you've earned it!

10 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

No, can't say that I have changed much after more than 20 years in Thailand. Maybe I ought to rephrase that, Ha! I suspect that many retired expats were like me. Back in my own country I often worked 14+ hours a day and OT at the w/e. Yeah, okay the bank account was accumulating nicely thank you but many a time I got home to a empty house (wife left me for another guy, Ha!) I thought 'is this it?' Thailand was like paradise compared to that. I don't find excuses nor do I put off things till later...why? Because the sooner I do what needs to be done the sooner I've got free time to do what I want. I think what many chaps actually do is just adapting to their own particular environment...and why not, indeed! Maybe it's just easier to adapt to Thailand than it was to the ever changing, ever more difficult life back in the home country. So chaps, don't blame yourself too much...in fact give yourself a 'pat on the back'...you've earned it!

Took you 2 days to get around to this?  :post-4641-1156694572:

Nicely done.....:clap2:

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

You are looking at the "problem" from the wrong end.

In Thailand one is allowed to not care enough about something to do anything about it.

Your resolution (that fails) to "do things" is a leftover from your life in the West, where one must always be discontent, where one must always be trying harder/"achieving"/"improving" oneself and the world...........doing things

It derives from ancient Western doctrine that we "fell from grace" and have to to constantly "strive" re-establish ourselves in Gods "good books" and re-create the Garden of Eden, literally for many in their suburban paradises packed with perfect gadgets, and carefully mown, back garden mini-Edens.........but still they remain discontent.

It constantly re-surfaces and manifests in many forms......notions of humanities "purpose"/duty, personal ambition, social and political doctrine, (left, right and centre).

It is an inescapable part of Western Civilisation......until one leaves Western Civilisation behind and re-locates to a different one. 

You are de-toxing..........congratulations.

I like your description very much but remember we're the cultural legacy of peoples who would starve and perish over the winter without proper planning and diligence. Thai's on the other hand are descendants of people who could afford to put off work until tomorrow and eat some fruit and insects in the mean time.

I have always been a morning person, getting up early, usually 0500, and getting started on my day, but after a few months of living here, I find it easier to get up later, and do things later in the afternoon and well into the evening..............I think the weather has a lot to do, it's damned hot/muggy during the mid-day, kind of drains you so you lose interest.  I did find myself attracted to airconditioned bars much easier than before :thumbsup: I am sure I will get over it and get back on my old schedule -  but that's my take for now.