Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

If you say that they accept (in Australia) money being in an Aussie bank to qualify, I won't argue with you, but they certainly won't in Thailand. You have two choices here, either the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, or a stat dec from the Aussie embassy stating that your earnings are sufficient to qualify. Neither of which is a hard thing to do, but if people prefer to jump through hoops to get their visa from the Aussie end, up to them.

I got my extension through a Stat Dec in Bangkok , thank you very much.However earlier this year I read now the Australian Embassy requires proof of income , as I mentioned earlier my rental income fluctuates monthly and sometimes is below the threshold, therefore my renewal is up in 5 months so I thought I better move 80grand into my Thai account, to be on the safe side.I just rang the Embassy today and they told me it's still the Same with no proof is required.Oroblem solved.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, gaviny said:

I got my extension through a Stat Dec in Bangkok , thank you very much.However earlier this year I read now the Australian Embassy requires proof of income , as I mentioned earlier my rental income fluctuates monthly and sometimes is below the threshold, therefore my renewal is up in 5 months so I thought I better move 80grand into my Thai account, to be on the safe side.I just rang the Embassy today and they told me it's still the Same with no proof is required.Oroblem solved.

They won't accept rental income as a source of income in Thailand,  because it can fluctuate or stop altogether. The income has to be derived from permanent sources as in Superannuation, pensions etc. Don't believe me? Test it out at immigration next time you renew.

Edited by giddyup

They won't accept rental income as a source of income in Thailand,  because it can fluctuate or stop altogether. The income has to be derived from permanent sources as in Superannuation, pensions etc. Don't believe me? Test it out at immigration next time you renew.

Thanks for the heads up mate , then I will just have to do a monthly deposit into my Streamline account or start moving 80Gs into my Bank of Bangkok.Your input , as is Ubonjoe and others are most welcomed.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That is not correct.

Immigration will accept any proven income. There is no rule stating it has to be from pension and etc.

Income is proven once a year to immigration. The fluctuations do not matter since the income can be averaged for a the previous year before applying.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct.

Immigration will accept any proven income. There is no rule stating it has to be from pension and etc.

Income is proven once a year to immigration. The fluctuations do not matter since the income can be averaged for a the previous year before applying.

And if the fluctuations drop below average?

That is not correct.

Thanks again Ubonjoe , what if I was to show to Thai Immigration that in the last 2 years I have received the 80Grand into my Bank of Bangkok annually, would that suffice ?

Just now, gaviny said:

Thanks again Ubonjoe , what if I was to show to Thai Immigration that in the last 2 years I have received the 80Grand into my Bank of Bangkok annually, would that suffice ?

immigration will go by what you show on your proof of income from your embassy.

Thai bank books can be back up proof if asked for what is shown on the proof of income document. There is no requirement to prove that all the money is coming into Thailand since it is gross income you have to prove.

Just now, Gregster said:

Too much red tape. Visa agent any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Put 800,000 baht into a Thai account, live on it during the year, top it up 2 months before visa renewal. Cost 1900 baht, visa agent 15,000 baht. Yeah, really a lot of red tape.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

immigration will go by what you show on your proof of income from your embassy.

Thai bank books can be back up proof if asked for what is shown on the proof of income document. There is no requirement to prove that all the money is coming into Thailand since it is gross income you have to prove.

Up until now, the Aussie embassy asked for no proof of income. You filled out a stat dec stating what your earnings were and it was accepted. Obviously, I would say this "honour system" was being abused if they are now asking for proof.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Put 800,000 baht into a Thai account, live on it during the year, top it up 2 months before visa renewal.

It has to be in the bank  for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa). It is only 60 day for the first extension.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It has to be in the bank  for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa). It is only 60 day for the first extension.

OK, extension of stay, even though every man and his dog knows what I mean.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

They are not asking for proof. That had in on their website for a few weeks and then took it down.

So you know for a fact that they are not asking for proof of income? The only reason I mentioned it is because another poster here said that was the new arrangement with the Aussie embassy. I also said if they are asking for proof, not that they were. Happy?

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Didn't I say before renewal? It seems you are going out of your way to be pedantic.

Edited by giddyup

Put 800,000 baht into a Thai account, live on it during the year, top it up 2 months before visa renewal. Cost 1900 baht, visa agent 15,000 baht. Yeah, really a lot of red tape.

Stick to the topic and read the OP again. Yeah... there was no red tape mentioned at all. It was all so simple, quick and easy for him.

6 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Stick to the topic and read the OP again. Yeah... there was no red tape mentioned at all. It was all so simple, quick and easy for him.

Read it again yourself. This is what I responded to. Get it?

Too much red tape. Visa agent any day. #99

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Your superannuation statement or bank statement has be less then 3 months old, that's how I did it.  You must have an original and 2 copies as is required with the other documents.  When you get all the instruction correct it is quite easy and straight forward and quick.  It took me 5 years to get it right???  The staff at The Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra are very helpful and easy to talk to and not at all frivolous.       :post-4641-1156694572:

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

It seems this has only happened to you. As I said there are thousands of expats living in Thailand who all navigated the simple process of obtaining a retirement visa without any problems. You admit yourself that you f*cked up your first attempt to get the visa, and now you want to blame Thailand for your problems. Consider yourself lucky that they allow you to live here at all, and that you don't have to jump through the hoops that they would make you do if it was the reverse, moving from Thailand to Australia.

I take your point but my original post was to share my experience and assist people who live in Australia who would like to get a  "Thai Retirement Visa"  in Australia and then make up their mind that sometime during following 12 months that they can decide to go and live in Thailand if and when they want to.  After 5 years of looking and asking thousands of unanswered question by many people who don't know but would like to know how to do it I think I have come up with the answer,  it's achievable but a bit frivolous ...I think and hope I can help people with the same objective as me to carry out their wishes.  Once achieved the next time is easy.

To do it the way I have done it the cost is reasonable about $400 and you know it's done good.  Looked daunting to start with but with the help and good advice of the Royal Thai Embassy and Staff in Canberra it all turned really nice. 

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, giddyup said:

The question remains unanswered. Why didn't you apply at immigration in Thailand?

You don't have to. A stat dec from the Aussie embassy stating that your earnings meet the requirements was all you needed. You are going to have to do that anyway when it's time to renew after one year. Seems like you spent a lot of money needlessly.

Not so simple...the Australian Embassy in Thailand does not provide a stat dec., you do.  They witness a declaration made by you on Australian Soil that you have made true statement under oath.  The penalty for lying under oath is the same as committing perjury in a court of law.  You can go to jail up 4 years if guilty.  I know its been happening and just about all have got away with it.  When I got my stat dec signed the lady at The Embassy asked  " was all of it true" she then reminded me that Thai Immigration may require proof.  I was OK with that, most applicants are not.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

So you know for a fact that they are not asking for proof of income? The only reason I mentioned it is because another poster here said that was the new arrangement with the Aussie embassy. I also said if they are asking for proof, not that they were. Happy?

Yes Giddyup , I rang the Embassy today and the lady I spoke too said no proof is required.The onus of the truth is on oneself.
Lol when I fronted up to Sakeo Immigration in January the guy looks at the Stat Dec and asked my GF , is that the truth and she affirmed it and I was granted an extension in less then 20 minutes.

I have done a couple of OA (Retirement) in OZ apart from about 6 Extensions in Thailand.

The only reason I do it in OZ is to adjust the renewal timing away from Peak Season (once) or because a conflict with a Thai Immi officer (a Colonel,once).

In Oz I have flown in early Monday AM, with all documents and copies ready, with an AFP report done online and a Dr's appointment on opening.

Medical certificate completed (with copies) off to the courthouse for the JP notarization, stapled altogether, off to the Post Office for certified post envelopes (one return) and money order and I'm shopping by 11am.

Very straightforward procedure if you understand the rules.

Then to Dan Murphy's for grog supplies and head to the bush to my mate's farm for some farm-killed meat and a relax.

Some people seem to almost enjoy over complicating things.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 1

I have been asked for back-up proof for an Australian Embassy issued Stat Dec at Phuket Immi.
I always take it with me and produce if necessary.
So do all my expat mates around here - I guess we're an honest lot.

Lol so are you implying the ones that don't bring proof are the dishonest lot .[emoji23] [emoji23]

On 13/09/2017 at 7:50 AM, David Walden said:

Each time I've gone to Thailand it's been on a Tourist visa for 2 or 3 months at a time.  Each time I have been offered the old Bt 30,000 to have problems disappear with retirement visa, but I decided to do it all honestly, and as you know honesty is the best policy in Thailand  (shit did I say that)

Thanks for sharing your experience, well done, wish you a long, enjoyable and well deserved retirement in Thailand.

Seems to me a lot of blokes are in 'violent agreement'.

My plan for when going back to live in Thailand (long term) if others are interested.

And what I did for several years when I was there long term before.

Year 1. Get a 12 mth multiple entry 'retirement visa' in Australia. Easy and flexible (dates times etc.) and easy entry to Thailand (no min baht in hand etc etc) and easy to get residence certificate, driving licence, and most other Govt related things.

Year 2. Leave Thailand for a trip/holiday, and return just before the 12 months Visa expires (date of approval not entry date). This gives me permission to stay for another 12 mths. Get a 'permission to re-enter' if wanting to leave Thailand during year 2. Easy as.

Year 3. Get 12 mths extension of permission to stay prior to expiration, based on retirement using income stat dec from Aust Embassy and all the other docs. Relatively easy.

Years 4 and onward - repeat year 3. Gets easier each time (unless some unannounced rule change).

Second option for Year 3 onwards - get 12ths extension of permission to stay based on marriage.

4 hours ago, gaviny said:

Yes Giddyup , I rang the Embassy today and the lady I spoke too said no proof is required.The onus of the truth is on oneself.
Lol when I fronted up to Sakeo Immigration in January the guy looks at the Stat Dec and asked my GF , is that the truth and she affirmed it and I was granted an extension in less then 20 minutes.

Making a false statement under oath at an Australian Embassy anywhere could if found out be as bad as robbing a bank.  It's unlikely that doing so in Thailand would result in anything difficult happening.  I know it happens but it could be " if you do the crime you do the time".

Anyway my original post was about how to get a "Thai Retirement Visa in Australia".  The option of providing stat dec in Australia for this service as I've indicated, there is no request or requirement for a stat dec.  none!!.  It has an application form you sign, copies of passports, forms about personal information, police reports, medical certificates etc etc, none of these documents contain wording that must accompany a stat dec.  However Thai Immigration via the Thai Embassy Canberra insists that the 18 pages of application forms be signed  by a JP.  When you ask a JP to witness your signature you need to making a stat dec, affidavit or an oath which has all sorts of legal implications.  I repeat there is no stat dec requested in the application.  So getting a JP just to sign is an "abuse of request" you may as well have a 3 year old sign it for you.  The request is simply frivolous and means nothing.  The JP is just another person in this situation.  He is only a JP if he is signing as a witness when you make an oath, a stat dec or an affidavit.  If Thai immigration insists on a stat dec  each page (18 pages) you would need to have with it a separate stat dec or a single sheet stat dec with a complicated listing of all the document which you refer to so that one signature could be applied to all the documents contained therein, those documents signed by the doctor or police commission would need to be signed also by those people if it had any legality ...yes frivolous.  When you get a statement from you bank, a medical certificate from your doctor, or a statement from a police commissioner it is not a JP's duty to peruse these documents.  A request to do so is an insult to all concerned and should not happen.  

Edited by David Walden