Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

5 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Seems to me a lot of blokes are in 'violent agreement'.

My plan for when going back to live in Thailand (long term) if others are interested.

And what I did for several years when I was there long term before.

Year 1. Get a 12 mth multiple entry 'retirement visa' in Australia. Easy and flexible (dates times etc.) and easy entry to Thailand (no min baht in hand etc etc) and easy to get residence certificate, driving licence, and most other Govt related things.

Year 2. Leave Thailand for a trip/holiday, and return just before the 12 months Visa expires (date of approval not entry date). This gives me permission to stay for another 12 mths. Get a 'permission to re-enter' if wanting to leave Thailand during year 2. Easy as.

Year 3. Get 12 mths extension of permission to stay prior to expiration, based on retirement using income stat dec from Aust Embassy and all the other docs. Relatively easy.

Years 4 and onward - repeat year 3. Gets easier each time (unless some unannounced rule change).

Which is exactly what was suggested to the OP at the beginning, to get the extension of stay based on retirement towards the end of year 2 is perfectly acceptable and legal, absolutely no need to involve agents and if the paperwork is all correct should not take very long at all, with a cost of around 6,000 THB including, photos, copies and a multiple re-entry permit, less if opting for a singe.

The OP doesn't want to open a Thai bank account for whatever reason, IMHO he will change his mind once here, as it will make life easier for payments, online access etc., however, he can do the extension using the monthly income option, which again, is a relatively easy thing to do.

But if he so wishes to continue via O-A visas, then who are we to tell him otherwise, it is his decision and his alone.

21 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Seems to me a lot of blokes are in 'violent agreement'.

My plan for when going back to live in Thailand (long term) if others are interested.

And what I did for several years when I was there long term before.

Year 1. Get a 12 mth multiple entry 'retirement visa' in Australia. Easy and flexible (dates times etc.) and easy entry to Thailand (no min baht in hand etc etc) and easy to get residence certificate, driving licence, and most other Govt related things.

Year 2. Leave Thailand for a trip/holiday, and return just before the 12 months Visa expires (date of approval not entry date). This gives me permission to stay for another 12 mths. Get a 'permission to re-enter' if wanting to leave Thailand during year 2. Easy as.

Year 3. Get 12 mths extension of permission to stay prior to expiration, based on retirement using income stat dec from Aust Embassy and all the other docs. Relatively easy.

Years 4 and onward - repeat year 3. Gets easier each time (unless some unannounced rule change).

Second option for Year 3 onwards - get 12ths extension of permission to stay based on marriage.

Sounds good to me Elvis 123456 your feed back is what I have been hoping for.  Plenty of nothing so far?  I know what I did wrong in Thailand and I'm glad.  If you have just a few dollars spare it seems better if you start off with a Thai Retirement Visa issued in Australia.(I think).  If you know how to go about it, GOOD!!

:post-4641-1156694572:

8 minutes ago, David Walden said:

However Thai Immigration via the Thai Embassy Canberra insists that the 18 pages of application forms be signed  by a JP.

Just for the record, Thai Immigration have no connection whatsoever with what is required to obtain a visa from any overseas Thai embassy, they only deal with immigration matters within Thailand.

The income certificate you would need from the Aussie embassy in Thailand to apply for an extension is simple one page document stating your income, no medical or police report are required either.

Don't confuse Immigration requirements in Thailand with those of an Embassy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Sounds good to me Elvis 123456 your feed back is what I have been hoping for.  Plenty of nothing so far?  I know what I did wrong in Thailand and I'm glad.  If you have just a few dollars spare it seems better if you start off with a Thai Retirement Visa issued in Australia.(I think).  If you know how to go about it, GOOD!!

:post-4641-1156694572:

If you have just a few dollars spare it seems better if you start off with a Thai Retirement Visa issued in Australia.

Why? Just to avoid having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank? Don't know what you expect to live on while you're here. However, if that scenario is so repellent to you, there's always the stat dec option from the embassy where there is no requirement to have money in a Thai bank. So I'm having difficulty understanding how it can be better getting the retirement extension in Australia. It seems to me you were forced into making that choice because you stuffed up your initial application in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Just for the record, Thai Immigration have no connection whatsoever with what is required to obtain a visa from any overseas Thai embassy, they only deal with immigration matters within Thailand.

The income certificate you would need from the Aussie embassy in Thailand to apply for an extension is simple one page document stating your income, no medical or police report are required either.

Don't confuse Immigration requirements in Thailand with those of an Embassy.

That's what a visa is for, so you can go the Thai Immigration once you arrive in Thailand and be given permission to enter.  I don't know what staff is at the Thai Embassy in Canberra but I expect there is an immigration section there who process visa requests.  Perhaps they send all off to Thailand in diplomat bag each day.  There about 10 flight a day to BKK from Sydney???

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you have just a few dollars spare it seems better if you start off with a Thai Retirement Visa issued in Australia.

Why? Just to avoid having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank? Don't know what you expect to live on while you're here. However, if that scenario is so repellent to you, there's always the stat dec option from the embassy where there is no requirement to have money in a Thai bank. So I'm having difficulty understanding how it can be better getting the retirement extension in Australia. It seems to me you were forced into making that choice because you stuffed up your initial application in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well thank you giddyup,  I will only respond from now on to people who would like to discuss my original post about getting a "Thai Retirement Visa in Australia" or maybe not at all...but thank you for all our unrelated comments. 

• Like 1

Yes looks like we all should agree to disagree...for myself , my 2nd extension in January 2018 will be the same as this year.I have just gone through my Bank statements on my CBA NetBank and for every month so far this year I have been over the 65000baht mark , therefore I will be in the Oz Embassy in January to do my Stat Dec and if n

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/13/2017 at 9:30 AM, David Walden said:

Thailand needs to do something about the un-required red tape in visa applications, they are just  frivolous

Yes lets try to make it as simple as it would be if a Thai wanted to retire in Australia......:coffee1:

11 hours ago, Mattd said:

Which is exactly what was suggested to the OP at the beginning, to get the extension of stay based on retirement towards the end of year 2 is perfectly acceptable and legal, absolutely no need to involve agents and if the paperwork is all correct should not take very long at all, with a cost of around 6,000 THB including, photos, copies and a multiple re-entry permit, less if opting for a singe.

The OP doesn't want to open a Thai bank account for whatever reason, IMHO he will change his mind once here, as it will make life easier for payments, online access etc., however, he can do the extension using the monthly income option, which again, is a relatively easy thing to do.

But if he so wishes to continue via O-A visas, then who are we to tell him otherwise, it is his decision and his alone.

I agree - a Thai bank is very handy when  here full time. And with a 'full' retirement Visa and a Residency Certificate (and 20K Baht in your hands) there are many Thai Banks who will let you open an account. I also have the Citibank account and although ATMs are easy, most only allow 20K (some 15K), and sometimes you also want tp pay for something online. I have a BKK account and transfer over about 5K (AUD) whenever the exchange rate is OK - that is also free with Citibank although BKK does take a small fee ( 320 I thionk). Much easier and good to have.

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Well one last comment giddyup which is related to original post about "Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia":-

No I don't want to put money in a Thai Bank, I don't need to.  I do have some super with a surrender value well in excess of the required Bt 800.000 I can withdraw the lot with 2 weeks notice if I wish, which I don't .  The money invested in my super will this year return me about 7/8% p/y, or about Bt 60,000 as it has done for the last 5 years, so why would I transfer that money to a Thai bank a/c and get nothing.  I'd be giving away about Bt 60,000 to the Thai bank, that would be just stupid. I can use that super asset to get a Stat dec without purging  myself at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok  anytime.  The dividend from my super plus my Aussie Pension also allows me to make a stat dec  at Aus Embassy in Thailand legit.

Now that I have been through the hoops of getting a "Thai Retirement Visa in Australia" and all has finally fallen into place I can recommend it to anyone.  You can arrive in Thailand anytime in the next 12 months after issue, come and go often if you want, get a drivers licence next day after arriving and lots of other benefits The main difference is that you have to have genuine written proof of money (cash) equal to Bt800,000 or prove you have and income of Bt 65000 P/M, get a police report, and a doctors certificate and have legit real documents to back it up, if you have the document all is simple.

My only complaint about the whole thing is after you get all the required documents are together Thailand requires you to find a JP and get him to sign each document all 18 yes.  But that is not the job of a JP.  A JP will sign a Stat dec, a affidavit or an oath that you declare what you say is true ( nothing to with what the JP thinks) he is usually acting in place of a Court Judge.  If you went to a Judge and ask him to sign he would soon tell you to "piss off".  I haven't got time for that".  A request from the Thai Immigration that a JP peruse and place his signature on 18 documents is an "abuse of Request".  If you had a stat dec that identified the 18 documents and listed them all clearly and you stated you believe they were genuine even that would really still require that the Police Commissioner, the doctor or Centrelink (Gov Pension would also have to sign as well) if it meant anything.  These documents are theirs not mine but they are about me.  The request from the Thai Embassy means absolutely nothing and is an "abuse of request" to ask a JP to sign these documents.  That free service is not a part of a JP's job description in Australia.

Next we'll have young mothers running around looking for a JP to co-sign a note to the school teacher to validate her claim that little Johnny was absent because he has a runny nose.

Edited by David Walden

11 hours ago, David Walden said:

That's what a visa is for, so you can go the Thai Immigration once you arrive in Thailand and be given permission to enter.  I don't know what staff is at the Thai Embassy in Canberra but I expect there is an immigration section there who process visa requests.  Perhaps they send all off to Thailand in diplomat bag each day.  There about 10 flight a day to BKK from Sydney???

I lived in Canberra when I first did it in 2012, so I went to the Embassy on Monday and got the Passport back on the Wednesday. They do have a separate section for Visas (both ways), and they are extremely helpful and friendly. They process all applications there in the office - they do a check of the Thai Immi systems to make sure that you are not wanted or blacklisted etc. I think the Sydney Consulate also does them, after contacting Canberra, but I think all the other consulates send the paperwork to Canberra to process and they mail it back to you.

11 hours ago, gaviny said:

Yes looks like we all should agree to disagree...for myself , my 2nd extension in January 2018 will be the same as this year.I have just gone through my Bank statements on my CBA NetBank and for every month so far this year I have been over the 65000baht mark , therefore I will be in the Oz Embassy in January to do my Stat Dec and if n

Maybe go to Chiang Mai instead of NKK. The Aust Embassy does regular outreaches every 3 mths or so to CM, and they will witness and stamp stat decs and all other paperwork (and I think it may be cheaper than BKK).  CM is certainly easier to get into and out of, is easier and cheaper to get around, and you can stay over in a cheap hotel nearby to where they provide the outreach services . The BKK Embassy websites gives the dates of each outreach, but you should always check as they sometimes change. About 6 staff (all Aussies) travel up to CM to provide the outreach services and they stay a night or two in one of CM's best Hotels (cant remember the name - but a good one thats for sure :smile:)

2 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Well one last comment giddyup which is related to original post about "Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia":-

No I don't want to put money in a Thai Bank, I don't need to.  I do have some super with a surrender value well in excess of the required Bt 800.000 I can withdraw the lot with 2 weeks notice is I wish, which I don't .  The money invested in my super will this year return me about 7/8% p/y, o about Bt 80,000 as it has done for the last 5 years, so why would I transfer that money to a Thai bank a/c and get nothing.  I'd be giving away about Bt 80,000 to the Thai bank, that would be just stupid. I can use that super asset to get a Stat dec without purging  myself a the Australian Embassy in Bangkok  anytime.  The dividend from my super plus my Aussie Pension also allows me to make a stat dec  at Aus Embassy in Thailand legit.

Now that I have been through the hoops of getting a "Thai Retirement Visa in Australia" and all has finally fallen into place I can recommend it to anyone.  You can arrive in Thailand anytime in the next 12 months after issue, come and go often if you want, get a drivers licence next day after arriving and lots of other benefits The main difference is that you have to have genuine written proof of money (cash) equal to Bt800,000 or prove you have and income of Bt 65000 P/M, get a police report, and a doctors certificate and have legit real documents to back it up, if you ahve the document all is simple.

My only complaint about the whole thing is after you get all the required documents are together Thailand requires you to find a JP and get him to sign each document all 18 yes.  But that is not the job of a JP.  A JP will sign a Stat dec, a affidavit or an oath that you declare what you say is true ( nothing to with what the JP thinks) he is usually acting in place of a Court Judge.  If you went to a Judge and ask him to sign he would soon tell you to "piss off".  I haven't got time for that".  A request from the Thai Immigration that a JP peruse and place his signature on 18 documents is an "abuse of Request".  If you had a stat dec that identified the 18 documents and listed them all clearly and you stated you believe they were genuine even that would really still require that the Police Commissioner, the doctor or Centrelink (Gov Pension would also have to sign as well) if it meant anything.  These documents are theirs not mine but they are about me.  The request from the Thai Embassy means absolutely nothing and is an "abuse of request" to ask a JP to sign these documents.  That free service is not a part of a JP's job description in Australia.

Next we'll have young mothers running around looking for a JP to co-sign a note to the school teacher to validate her claim that little Johnny was absent because he has a runny nose.

David you state that your super fund returned you 7.8 this year and for previous years I am not a financial adviser and don't want to open up a debate  but maybe you need to have a look at a not for profit Industry Fund  mine which is pretty conservative has done much better than that over the years last year I think was just under 11 this year 13.8 and of course tax free

10 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Maybe go to Chiang Mai instead of NKK. The Aust Embassy does regular outreaches every 3 mths or so to CM, and they will witness and stamp stat decs and all other paperwork (and I think it may be cheaper than BKK).  CM is certainly easier to get into and out of, is easier and cheaper to get around, and you can stay over in a cheap hotel nearby to where they provide the outreach services . The BKK Embassy websites gives the dates of each outreach, but you should always check as they sometimes change. About 6 staff (all Aussies) travel up to CM to provide the outreach services and they stay a night or two in one of CM's best Hotels (cant remember the name - but a good one thats for sure :smile:)

The last visit was August so they are due again in October they now visit every 2 months and are using the Meridien Hotel

They are only there for one day and usually it's a Friday,  in August they were very busy so you might want to get there early as they have only two staff to process the applications one for passports the other for other documents

Good idea to check the website as on the odd occasion the date has changed

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I agree - a Thai bank is very handy when  here full time. And with a 'full' retirement Visa and a Residency Certificate (and 20K Baht in your hands) there are many Thai Banks who will let you open an account. I also have the Citibank account and although ATMs are easy, most only allow 20K (some 15K), and sometimes you also want tp pay for something online. I have a BKK account and transfer over about 5K (AUD) whenever the exchange rate is OK - that is also free with Citibank although BKK does take a small fee ( 320 I thionk). Much easier and good to have.

Yes Elvis 123456 I will go down that road in time.  I have only traveled to Thailand now 6 times on a Tourist visa 2/3 months at a time and the Citibank a/c, perhaps the same as yours will do for now as it cost nothing to have, all Thai bank charges are returned.  I've covered that in a earlier post on this site.

Flying to Perth to BKK usually costs less then Aus $300 (Scoot or AirAsia DMK) so going back and forward is not a big cost, a bit of time only (got plenty of that).  I only ever take cabin luggage.  Of course when you return to Aus your pension goes back up to the full amount ($888.30 P/F) so it's a bit like Centrelink paying half your fare.  I also have a few preventive medications which cost $150 P/M in Thailand but cost $18 in Aus for me which I stock up on for my next trip.  You can take 6 month supply out of Aus at a time under NHS.  The latest trip back I have had some medical treatment free in Aus (water works fun) and extensive almost free dental work at the Govt clinic (thousands at a private dentist).  Of course then there is the 2 large bottles of Bundy OP rum I get duty free on my return thus saving me another $80.  So I actually save money by going regularly to and from Australia.  This is all available to most Aussies over 66 Y/O. Accommodation is not a problem for me back in Aus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

David you state that your super fund returned you 7.8 this year and for previous years I am not a financial adviser and don't want to open up a debate  but maybe you need to have a look at a not for profit Industry Fund  mine which is pretty conservative has done much better than that over the years last year I think was just under 11 this year 13.8 and of course tax free

Yes mine in with ANZ and is based mostly on that AXS200 with some international shares and part property.  I can increase my return with the stroke of a pen to increase dividends by selecting a more speculative portfolio.  Presently I take 6% of the total each year ( I have to take that), that is fine it allows me to have a full Aussie aged pension and a nice top up.  In theory my asset should in increase by 2/3% each year. and be capital preserved until I fall of the perch.  I think another 20 years will do.  My kids probably think I should go earlier...I've got news for them.  I tell them my trips to Thailand are SKI trips (Spending Kids Inheritance).  They laugh a bit.

:sorry:

Edited by David Walden

Maybe go to Chiang Mai instead of NKK. The Aust Embassy does regular outreaches every 3 mths or so to CM, and they will witness and stamp stat decs and all other paperwork (and I think it may be cheaper than BKK).  CM is certainly easier to get into and out of, is easier and cheaper to get around, and you can stay over in a cheap hotel nearby to where they provide the outreach services . The BKK Embassy websites gives the dates of each outreach, but you should always check as they sometimes change. About 6 staff (all Aussies) travel up to CM to provide the outreach services and they stay a night or two in one of CM's best Hotels (cant remember the name - but a good one thats for sure [emoji2])

Good idea Elvis, been meaning to visit CM , so I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

• Like 1

Yes mine in with ANZ and is based mostly on that AXS200 with some international shares and part property.  I can increase my return with the stroke of a pen to increase dividends by selecting a more speculative portfolio.  Presently I take 6% of the total each year ( I have to take that), that is fine it allows me to have a full Aussie aged pension and a nice top up.  In theory my asset should in increase by 2/3% each year. and be capital preserved until I fall of the perch.  I think another 20 years will do.  My kids probably think I should go earlier...I've got news for them.  I tell them my trips to Thailand are SKI trips (Spending Kids Inheritance).  They laugh a bit.
                                            :sorry:

The days of willing the majority of your assets to the kids are over , I already told my daughter what she's getting , and the rest I will utilise for my retirement. Especially since I'm not eligible for the pension back in Oz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

Yes Elvis 123456 I will go down that road in time.  I have only traveled to Thailand now 6 times on a Tourist visa 2/3 months at a time and the Citibank a/c, perhaps the same as yours will do for now as it cost nothing to have, all Thai bank charges are returned.  I've covered that in a earlier post on this site.

Flying to Perth to BKK usually costs less then Aus $300 (Scoot or AirAsia DMK) so going back and forward is not a big cost, a bit of time only (got plenty of that).  I only ever take cabin luggage.  Of course when you return to Aus your pension goes back up to the full amount ($888.30 P/F) so it's a bit like Centrelink paying half your fare.  I also have a few preventive medications which cost $150 P/M in Thailand but cost $18 in Aus for me which I stock up on for my next trip.  You can take 6 month supply out of Aus at a time under NHS.  The latest trip back I have had some medical treatment free in Aus (water works fun) and extensive almost free dental work at the Govt clinic (thousands at a private dentist).  Of course then there is the 2 large bottles of Bundy OP rum I get duty free on my return thus saving me another $80.  So I actually save money by going regularly to and from Australia.  This is all available to most Aussies over 66 Y/O. Accommodation is not a problem for me back in Aus. 

That is definitely the way to go David, and when I return to Aus once each year I do stock up on items and get any minor medical issues sorted. Unfortunately I had to sell the house to fund early retirement, so I need family friends to put me up, and as I am married it is twice the airline fees. But what you are doing is what I know a few guys are doing - a home in each country and they spend about 6 months in each place, or they do 2-3 visits back each year. Down the track I hope to be in that position - for now it is living in one country and once a year visits to the other. In Aus now while I do the 2+ years penance so the OAP is approved and portable. When that happens I will revert to my 2012 plan - get full official Retirement Visa and then get yearly extensions and permissions to re-enter. 

That is definitely the way to go David, and when I return to Aus once each year I do stock up on items and get any minor medical issues sorted. Unfortunately I had to sell the house to fund early retirement, so I need family friends to put me up, and as I am married it is twice the airline fees. But what you are doing is what I know a few guys are doing - a home in each country and they spend about 6 months in each place, or they do 2-3 visits back each year. Down the track I hope to be in that position - for now it is living in one country and once a year visits to the other. In Aus now while I do the 2+ years penance so the OAP is approved and portable. When that happens I will revert to my 2012 plan - get full official Retirement Visa and then get yearly extensions and permissions to re-enter. 

Elvis so once you qualified and move to Thailand, how much is it reduced by?My mate is in your same situation, he's going back this month to serve his 2 years too, unfortunately for me I don't qualify as all my working life was in PNG.

16 minutes ago, gaviny said:

Elvis so once you qualified and move to Thailand, how much is it reduced by?My mate is in your same situation, he's going back this month to serve his 2 years too, unfortunately for me I don't qualify as all my working life was in PNG.

It is reduced by about 10% (those add-on benefits are not paid when overseas). But that is because I worked and lived in Australia for over 35 years. If someone did it for say 30 years, then it is further reduced. The minimum period for 'portability' overseas is 10 years. Tell you mate not to go back exactly 2 years before, go back more than that maybe 3-6 mths more. The reason is that they are looking very 'hard' at anyone who comes back exactly 2 years beforehand, and it looks like they will go back as soon as they get approved.  Close all Thai bank accounts, cancel licence etc etc etc. He needs to make it look like he has come back permanently. He needs to have nothing (they know about) to go back to in Thailand, and have set himself up in Aust as permanent - had some fun overseas now staying here - NNWW. He needs to do all the usual re home and banks and voting roll etc etc - but also join clubs and maybe do a part--time job and maybe volunteer work and maybe coach footy  or cricket - build some 'roots' like you are staying. Come back exactly 24 mths, and sit in a room while waiting, and they will delay portability - it is not automatic. 

Did you work for an Australian company and pay Aust taxes? Were you there all those years, or did you regularly visit Aust and had a home there?  You maybe have some time 'credit' if you did. Dont give up on that so easily. You can ask and get a ruling - and appeal.

59 minutes ago, gaviny said:

The days of willing the majority of your assets to the kids are over , I already told my daughter what she's getting , and the rest I will utilise for my retirement. Especially since I'm not eligible for the pension back in Oz.

Well that just tells me you have too much money...poor boy    :partytime2:

It is reduced by about 10% (those add-on benefits are not paid when overseas). But that is because I worked and lived in Australia for over 35 years. If someone did it for say 30 years, then it is further reduced. The minimum period for 'portability' overseas is 10 years. Tell you mate not to go back exactly 2 years before, go back more than that maybe 3-6 mths more. The reason is that they are looking very 'hard' at anyone who comes back exactly 2 years beforehand, and it looks like they will go back as soon as they get approved.  Close all Thai bank accounts, cancel licence etc etc etc. He needs to make it look like he has come back permanently. He needs to have nothing (they know about) to go back to in Thailand, and have set himself up in Aust as permanent - had some fun overseas now staying here - NNWW. He needs to do all the usual re home and banks and voting roll etc etc - but also join clubs and maybe do a part--time job and maybe volunteer work and maybe coach footy  or cricket - build some 'roots' like you are staying. Come back exactly 24 mths, and sit in a room while waiting, and they will delay portability - it is not automatic. 

Did you work for an Australian company and pay Aust taxes? Were you there all those years, or did you regularly visit Aust and had a home there?  You maybe have some time 'credit' if you did. Dont give up on that so easily. You can ask and get a ruling - and appeal.

I had my own business and in Oz I have a TFN and paid tax on my rentals and I also have a home there , anyway will check them out and I will show my mate the advice you just gave when I catch up with him this arvo to watch the footy.

57 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I don't know how long you have been out of Aus but if you have been going back to Aus  now and again like even 2/3 years apart you could claim you are resident in Aus, and that you have been temporarily out of Aus as a tourist and claim the aged pension without waiting the 2 years.  Centrelink does not like his approach and tries to refuse you.  To counter this tell them you wish to appeal.  They are likely to approve you application then, if not  the Appeals Tribunal is likely to do so.  I have a friend who has traveled the world until recently returned after 4 years at 65.5 y/o and insisted he was resident in Aus and on holidays when absent (4 years) which was true, had a TFN for this period paid some tax (irrelevant) and has succeeded in receiving the aged pension in full...don't put up with any nonsense from Centrelink.  If they say you can't apply because of bla, bla, bla insist on filling in the form and making the application or see you local member of parliament (that will make then sit up,  They don't like polly's).  The onus is on them to refuse you...they will think a lot before doing so.  Centrelink officers do not like loosing appeals.  Usually it wont get that far.     :passifier:

1 hour ago, gaviny said:

I had my own business and in Oz I have a TFN and paid tax on my rentals and I also have a home there , anyway will check them out and I will show my mate the advice you just gave when I catch up with him this arvo to watch the footy.

Once you are granted the aged pension there is only one thing that will take it from and that is if you have to much money.  The present threshold is Aus $450,000 if you do not own a house $250.000 if you do. There is a formula for reducing it after this point.  .  Centrelink will if requested pay you pension into any bank in the world each 4 weeks (in Aus each 2 weeks).  You never loose the pension and you can live anywhere in the world you want forever.  Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with Aus where you can get free hospital, free transport and other things.  Unfortunately Thailand is not one.  Now the pension supplement is also part of your pension payments ($888..30P/F) and is about $50 of this.  After 6 weeks the pension is still the same but the supplement is reduced makin the payment currently about $835.00 after being absent for six months it drops down a little further.

Until 2014 all people who were/are entitled to a full pension provided you were within the thresholds.  A formula is in place to extend the date you can be granted a pension by 3 months for each year over the years 2014 to 2034 (or maybe it's 2035?).  This year being 2017 you will be granted a aged pension if you are 65 years and 9 months.  In 2034 you will need to be 70 y/o to get a pension.  I have at times been an advocate for people approaching Centrelink about claiming pensions, some of them are out of there whits with fear and sometimes over the top, Centrelink officer are just out of order and posture about things to clients which are incorrect

17 hours ago, David Walden said:

You have stated that you have researched visas and immigration extensively..............

A visa is issued by a Thai Embassy based on criteria laid out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, NOT the immigration department, in fact the immigration department can still refuse entry at an entry point in to Thailand if they cause to believe that the conditions of the visa are not being met or abused.

The embassy's requirements for a visa application have no bearing whatsoever on the requirements for applying for an extension of stay from immigration in Thailand, they are not even remotely connected.

There will not be any immigration section at the embassy, or at least that handles visa applications. 

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

I don't know how long you have been out of Aus but if you have been going back to Aus  now and again like even 2/3 years apart you could claim you are resident in Aus, and that you have been temporarily out of Aus as a tourist and claim the aged pension without waiting the 2 years.  Centrelink does not like his approach and tries to refuse you.  To counter this tell them you wish to appeal.  They are likely to approve you application then, if not  the Appeals Tribunal is likely to do so.  I have a friend who has traveled the world until recently returned after 4 years at 65.5 y/o and insisted he was resident in Aus and on holidays when absent (4 years) which was true, had a TFN for this period paid some tax (irrelevant) and has succeeded in receiving the aged pension in full...don't put up with any nonsense from Centrelink.  If they say you can't apply because of bla, bla, bla insist on filling in the form and making the application or see you local member of parliament (that will make then sit up,  They don't like polly's).  The onus is on them to refuse you...they will think a lot before doing so.  Centrelink officers do not like loosing appeals.  Usually it wont get that far.     :passifier:

Good advice and what I have heard too. But I am the other side - I qualify for the OAP in a few years time.  We left CM and after travelling a bit we decided to go to Aus and wait for OAP and then come back.  Never stopped being a resident and always will be in the future. for CLink.  Also gotta watch out being declared a non-resident for tax by ATO too - then you would be liable to pay tax as a non-resident (no threshold) on any super withdrawals that are taxable income.

3 hours ago, gaviny said:

That reminds me of a rather funny moment when I was planning for early retirement. I made an appointment to see a 'financial adviser' from my Super fund.  When I arrived this about 20 kid immediately started showing me how I could increase my payments and significantly increase my super amount. I looked at his projections and then asked him:  "why would I want nearly a million dollars in Super when I am 90?" He looked at me with a straight face and said " for the kids inheritence".  I then told him I was here to plan for pulling the pin in a few years, and that my kids will get what I got - sweet phark all. The look on his face was priceless, and he couldnt understand why I was laughing.

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

You have stated that you have researched visas and immigration extensively..............

A visa is issued by a Thai Embassy based on criteria laid out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, NOT the immigration department, in fact the immigration department can still refuse entry at an entry point in to Thailand if they cause to believe that the conditions of the visa are not being met or abused.

The embassy's requirements for a visa application have no bearing whatsoever on the requirements for applying for an extension of stay from immigration in Thailand, they are not even remotely connected.

There will not be any immigration section at the embassy, or at least that handles visa applications. 

It clearly tells you on the applications they can refuse you at anytime.  No reason has to be given.  All the other stuff above I'm sure you are right.  I did suggest I have been researching Thai immigration for 5 years I think I know about 25% any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1