Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

That reminds me of a rather funny moment when I was planning for early retirement. I made an appointment to see a 'financial adviser' from my Super fund.  When I arrived this about 20 kid immediately started showing me how I could increase my payments and significantly increase my super amount. I looked at his projections and then asked him:  "why would I want nearly a million dollars in Super when I am 90?" He looked at me with a straight face and said " for the kids inheritence".  I then told him I was here to plan for pulling the pin in a few years, and that my kids will get what I got - sweet phark all. The look on his face was priceless, and he couldnt understand why I was laughing.

The longer I live the more my kids hate me.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:28 PM, giddyup said:

Don't see anything there to contradict what I said. 

When you said the doctor "bulk billed you" for medical a certificate to used in a visa application you dobbed him in for committing a crime...not good.  You can only be bulk billed if you are receiving medical treatment for some type of complaint.  If you simply want a medical certificate for a job application, visa application, or a drivers license you have to pay for it.  I used to drive a school bus and had to have an extensive medial each year.  I had to pay $120 for a medical certificate so that I  could keep my job, I wasn't sick, he only charged me half in case medicare audited his bulk billing claims he is not allowed to claim this items and must get payment from the person requesting the form.. 

18 minutes ago, David Walden said:

When you said the doctor "bulk billed you" for medical a certificate to used in a visa application you dobbed him in for committing a crime...not good.  You can only be bulk billed if you are receiving medical treatment for some type of complaint.  If you simply want a medical certificate for a job application, visa application, or a drivers license you have to pay for it.  I used to drive a school bus and had to have an extensive medial each year.  I had to pay $120 for a medical certificate so that I  could keep my job, I wasn't sick, he only charged me half in case medicare audited his bulk billing claims he is not allowed to claim this items and must get payment from the person requesting the form.. 

You might want to check who you are responding to, I never mentioned anything about doctors and bulk billing.

My experience was simple. I boarded a plane in Melbourne and my passport was my 30 day tourist visa which I got a 30 day extension and the IO told me I must leave Thailand to apply for my 1 year visa and he told me to go to Vientiane, Laos, so I go on the bus and went to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane before midday and submitted the application and went back after midday the next day and picked up my visa with no police check or medical required. Nothing underhanded. Could not be simpler

6 hours ago, David Walden said:

It clearly tells you on the applications they can refuse you at anytime.  No reason has to be given.  All the other stuff above I'm sure you are right.  I did suggest I have been researching Thai immigration for 5 years I think I know about 25% any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the refreshing invitation to help rectify your LOS knowledge deficits.

I'll try ... by posting Facts, not voluminous opinions.

1. A JP notarizes your signature on documents which is part of their normal voluntary duties.

Only a very small percentage act occasionally as Honorary Magistrates.

2. A number of professionals (I was one) can notarize your signature.

One group included is "Class A consular officials" (who may be not Australian).

Their notarization, be it on an Embassy Statutory Declaration or otherwise is of no greater legal value than those in (1) other than their (Thai) Immigration police may require it.

3. Consulates and the ultimate Thai Embassy are staffed by a Diplomat and Consular staff.

Thai Immigration at border entries are staffed by Royal Thai Police (Immigration Division)

and also by RTP at your local Immigration Office.

There is no electronic connection automatically between the two different Ministries.

4.The head of RTP(Immi) will frame Royal Orders which will be approved by the Minister and then Gazetted.

These should be the Rules by which each Immi Office operates.

Not so - each Immi Office considers themselves their own fiefdom, sometimes extracting tributes from Farangs for "extra services".

Showing the Immi Officer the appropriate Royal Order (even in Thai) may get the response from the Senior Officer  "I'm the Boss here" - personal experience at Phuket.

So long opinion pieces on what you find "frivolous" are irrelevant and to date full of misconceptions as to "The Thai way of doing things".

The sooner you listen to those experienced and living longtime here, learn and absorb the sooner you will be able to relax and enjoy your life in Thailand.

P.S. "Purging" yourself at the Australian Embassy is as sh*tty act as perjuring yourself.

7 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Thanks for the refreshing invitation to help rectify your LOS knowledge deficits.

I'll try ... by posting Facts, not voluminous opinions.

1. A JP notarizes your signature on documents which is part of their normal voluntary duties.

Only a very small percentage act occasionally as Honorary Magistrates.

2. A number of professionals (I was one) can notarize your signature.

One group included is "Class A consular officials" (who may be not Australian).

Their notarization, be it on an Embassy Statutory Declaration or otherwise is of no greater legal value than those in (1) other than their (Thai) Immigration police may require it.

3. Consulates and the ultimate Thai Embassy are staffed by a Diplomat and Consular staff.

Thai Immigration at border entries are staffed by Royal Thai Police (Immigration Division)

and also by RTP at your local Immigration Office.

There is no electronic connection automatically between the two different Ministries.

4.The head of RTP(Immi) will frame Royal Orders which will be approved by the Minister and then Gazetted.

These should be the Rules by which each Immi Office operates.

Not so - each Immi Office considers themselves their own fiefdom, sometimes extracting tributes from Farangs for "extra services".

Showing the Immi Officer the appropriate Royal Order (even in Thai) may get the response from the Senior Officer  "I'm the Boss here" - personal experience at Phuket.

So long opinion pieces on what you find "frivolous" are irrelevant and to date full of misconceptions as to "The Thai way of doing things".

The sooner you listen to those experienced and living longtime here, learn and absorb the sooner you will be able to relax and enjoy your life in Thailand.

P.S. "Purging" yourself at the Australian Embassy is as sh*tty act as perjuring yourself.

1...Perhaps if you read my opening and follows up posts you will see you are correct because you agree with me on almost everything.:sorry:

2...Almost all of my comments in this post are about people who have enough cash or pension, reasonable health and do not have any outstanding criminal charges who would like to get a "Retirement Visa in Australia" via the The Royal Thai Embassy Australia in Canberra,  Where they are issued from in Australia ( I fit this criteria).  That is to arrive in Thailand when you want to, get a drivers licence, go home or to other countries as often as you like, simple visa extension etc. etc. (we haven't got to these bits yet, still waiting)  The details I have now encouraged in a dozen or so posts.  We have gotten off the track with lots of long winded scenarios about the lack of good faith in dealing with all the issues involved and there is plenty of that.  I may be a "goody too shoes" but I'm offering discussion on how to do it all above board and legal as I do have the funds to do so.  Some people are trying to shoot me down in flames.:partytime2: 

3...My comments about being "Frivolous" is just one word that brings to the attention of how involved things are in making "Thai Retirement Visas" applications, in Australia and Thailand and just how much ignorants of the law is touted or flouted in seeking this visa document.  I refer to my comments about JP's being involved to sign your documents but there is no stat dec nor is any requested  (long story read my post again).

4... I'm sorry that some people can't make regular trips to and from Thailand as I do but many can :sad:.  I'm sorry many people who live in Thailand on the Australian Aged pension only are doing it tough and need to make false declarations for stay long term in Thailand :shock1:.  It seems their financial position doesn't allow this but "where there is a will there is a way".  I have been especially careful not to dwell on this point to much:passifier:.  I have helped a few friends financially to overcome some hurdles in extending their visa, they have always paid me back.  My posts have encourage discussion in this area, perhaps not a good idea...:saai:

.

Finally I can assure you I love Thailand and Thai people "warts and all " and that I am totally relaxed about my past 6 trips to Thailand on a Tourist Visa and "the lots to do about nothing" and will be even more relaxed about my up coming trip on my new "Thai OA Multi Entry Retirement Visa".:partytime2:

One very good thing about having a Retirement visa is I can now get a real motorbike licence so that if I fall off (maybe) I will be able to claim legit on my travel insurance policy ...hope I don't have to claim... Insurance it's about the the only thing in life you like to pay for and hope you get nothing back...intangible...:saai:

One of my favorite sayings in life is.  "There never has been yet a man who on his death bed said I should have stayed at the office longer"

Edited by David Walden

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

You might want to check who you are responding to, I never mentioned anything about doctors and bulk billing.

Yes perhaps if people sometime used real names in these post mistakes maybe less likely to happen,  I think you replied to some other post which contained this comment, no it was not yours I commented on your post about another persons post which contained the following comments.....the JP I went to in Qld had no complaints about signing the docs.  Fed. Police check online about $42, bulk billed for medical certificate.  I paid $70 to my doctor for the medical certificate to apply for my Retirement Visa in Australia.  I did it willingly, the doctor, if he billed this service to Medicare could have been charge with fraud if he was found out. (anyhow that's my story and I'm sticking to it, my GP is very nice bloke and mums the word). 

10 hours ago, Russell17au said:

My experience was simple. I boarded a plane in Melbourne and my passport was my 30 day tourist visa which I got a 30 day extension and the IO told me I must leave Thailand to apply for my 1 year visa and he told me to go to Vientiane, Laos, so I go on the bus and went to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane before midday and submitted the application and went back after midday the next day and picked up my visa with no police check or medical required. Nothing underhanded. Could not be simpler

I'm sure you had a smile on your face , if not before certainly after...these are the sort of contributions we need.

12 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

If applying for a Thai Driver's Licence make sure you have a valid International Driving Permit, not more than 3 months old and endorsed for both cars and motorcycle (available from the R.A.C.)

This will make the process a lot easier.

I got mine simply on the basis of my UK Licence. No video to watch, did the silly tests. Done. At Pattaya.

The International Driving Permit is simply a translation of your country's licence, but if that is in English, you don't need one.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I got mine simply on the basis of my UK Licence. No video to watch, did the silly tests. Done. At Pattaya.

The International Driving Permit is simply a translation of your country's licence, but if that is in English, you don't need one.

No motor bike licence yet but yes an international car and bus drivers licence (in Thailand).  You would have to be knutts to drive a bus in BKK.  I've had plenty of practice on a Honda Click in Thailand so now that I have a "Retirement Visa" I'll front up and give it a go....:post-4641-1156694572: I don't think many people fail. Even silly old buggers like me?

16 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I'm very impressed but I have to ask the question "did you grease any palms to get this result' ???

46 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I'm very impressed but I have to ask the question "did you grease any palms to get this result' ???

Really?

A routine procedure for hundreds if not thousands of legal applicants for Retirement extensions each year - no bribes or agents required.

You have another (more expensive) form of Non Immi O Visa - you can proceed from there or its one year extension.

Edited by Evilbaz

6 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Really?

A routine procedure for hundreds if not thousands of legal applicants for Retirement extensions each year - no bribes or agents required.

You have another (more expensive) form of Non Immi O Visa - you can proceed from there or its one year extension.

Well I've now I've spent only 2 days?  ( I am enjoying my second childhood ) perusing the internet to find out what the hell I've actually bought.  I hope to be able to go back to Perth via the train from Cha-am, Hue Hin via Penang and KL Malaysia ( could be complicated).  Spend about 10 days to look around catch an AirAsia flight to Perth (cost Aus  $92) which I already have and back for Xmas.  Then back to Cha-am early Feb and go home when it suits me ( you may be able to get a KL /Heu Hin flight by then and give BKK a miss...looks good.  I've spent hours looking at Q&A sites about comings and goings with immigration in Thailand about NON-Immigrant  O-A  M visas. Give me another month or 2 and I'll have it down pat.  2 month is not long I've already spent 5 years so far, so success is in site.   :partytime2:

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 12:03 PM, gaviny said:

I had my own business and in Oz I have a TFN and paid tax on my rentals and I also have a home there , anyway will check them out and I will show my mate the advice you just gave when I catch up with him this arvo to watch the footy.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A person applying for the Australian Aged pension to be successful presently need to have lived in Australia 25 years and 9 months from the time he turned 16 to the time he turned 65 years and 9 months when they can apply.  In 2034 he will have had to have lived in Aus for 35 years there.  I'm not sure of the exact formula with the recent changes but if you have lived in Aus before the recent  changes came about, each year you were short of the 25 years residency you would loose 1/25 of the pension.  You could have been out of the country for the last 24 years but provided you have lived in Aus for 25 years over your past 50 years you qualify.   Hence e.g.  I have a friend living in Chiang Mai Married a Thai lady 22 years ago.  She lived with him in Sydney for 17 years and became a Aus Cit.  Her time of residency in Australia was 17 years.  They now have lived Thailand for 10 years he get half of the Aus pension married rate about $340. per week she get 17/25 of the married rate about $235 per week total $575 p/w. These figure are without the pension supplement.   He is 10 years older then her, if he dies her payment will go to 17/25 of the single rate of about $282. They are happy with that.  

Don't worry about any old wives tales about you not getting you pension from Centrelink because of what you might think you will do once you are retired, you can live anywhere in the world the day after you get the pension and Cenrtrelink will send your pension each 4 weeks to that place 2 weeks in Aus (South Pole if you like).  The only thing that you will cause you to loose your aged pension is if you exceed the financial threshold. It is none of Centrelink's business where you want to live.  If you have been out of Australia for the 2 years prior to applying and paid tax in Aus you would likely to have a case because you were domicile in Aus and the 2 year residency period may not apply.  Like I say put the application in if they reject you then the sparks can fly.

Don't let them bluff you!

Edited by David Walden

Sorry to have to correct you again but having a TFN and paying tax is not sufficient to satisfy Centrelink rules for "residency" which are different to the ATO rules.

My ex was a senior Centrelink officer and made my life hell when getting the OAP and  to live in Thailand.

I studied and learnt every word of the Centrelink requirements - they are a law unto themself.

I suggest you do the same before posting erroneous information

They (and Medicare) know the moment you depart for overseas and return.

You can't "bluff" them on their "residency requirements.

Edited by Evilbaz

You have to dig deeply inside Medicare rules but basically if you are outside of Australia for more than five years, without returning, then to reclaim your suspended Medicare rights (which are automatically suspended every time you exit through international Border Control) you have to convince them you are now a permanent resident of Australia by their rules..

Evidence they may require includes that you have sold all overseas possessions, rescinded all leases, and established leases, motor cars etc in Australia.

There is no common definition of what determines residency between the ATO, Medicare or Centrelink - don't fall into the trap that if you satisfy one you have satisfied all of them.

So, schedule a return to OZ trip at least once every five years.

Edited by Evilbaz

You have to dig deeply inside Medicare rules but basically if you are outside of Australia for more than five years, without returning, then to reclaim your suspended Medicare rights (which are automatically suspended every time you exit through international Border Control) you have to convince them you are now a permanent resident of Australia by their rules..
Evidence they may require includes that you have sold all overseas possessions, rescinded all leases, and established leases, motor cars etc in Australia.

There is no common definition of what determines residency between the ATO, Medicare or Centrelink - don't fall into the trap that if you satisfy one you have satisfied all of them.

So, schedule a return to OZ trip at least once every five years.

Thanks mate, there is no way I'd stay away from Oz for 5 years , I will be returning at least twice a year so that's fine.

4 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Sorry to have to correct you again but having a TFN and paying tax is not sufficient to satisfy Centrelink rules for "residency" which are different to the ATO rules.

My ex was a senior Centrelink officer and made my life hell when getting the OAP and  to live in Thailand.

I studied and learnt every word of the Centrelink requirements - they are a law unto themself.

I suggest you do the same before posting erroneous information

They (and Medicare) know the moment you depart for overseas and return.

You can't "bluff" them on their "residency requirements.

My information is not to convince anybody of anything, my suggestion is for people to gather as much information they can to establish that they are resident in Australia but absent and on holidays during the 2 years residency requirement period prior to your aged pension application, we all have a TFN anyway. e.g if you pay tax and claim it back that can help.  A holiday can sometimes extend for several years, you are just absent for the time being.  I am well aware that the ATO and Centrelink are 2 different Govt departments but they do have lots of cross references and no they are not a law unto themselves, that is why we have the AAT which is often clogged up with appeals regarding Centrelink refusals.  Many people give up even making an application  because of brownie point seeking Centrelink officers.  

And yes Just remember not to pass through immigration at 11pm at night to catch a 1am flight the next day thinking you are leaving Australia at the 1am flight departure time.  Legally you are departing Aus when you pass through immigration.  I had my pension stopped because I did not tell the truth I was not leaving a 1 am but  left at 11pm the previous day that's when I pass through.  Now of course if you are going overseas for less then six weeks you don't have to advise them anymore it will be automatic as you go through immigration.  Immigration is also linked to Centrelink.

I'm very impressed that you have (as stated) have learnt every word there is to know about Centrelink.  I think you must be the only person in the world who knows it all.

Edited by David Walden

8 hours ago, gaviny said:

Thanks mate, there is no way I'd stay away from Oz for 5 years , I will be returning at least twice a year so that's fine.

Me too but much less then 5 years.  My air ticket Perth to BKK (Scoot).  Return trip to Perth via  train to KL and KL to Perth with AisAsia approx Aus $280 total  plus cheap hotel 2/3 star for 10 days.  Never travel in Aussie school holidays as air fare to KL or BKK in increases by  3 times.  Home for 2/3 months then back to Thailand.                                                                                                                                                   :partytime2:  

Edited by David Walden

Once you actually live here and settle into the groove, doing yearly in country Extensions, time can pass by easily.
My last trip back to OZ was after 4years & 9 months absence.

Yes Mate, and the good thing about here in Sakeo , the last 3 times I've been the office , I was the only client there.My extension in January took no more than 20 minutes.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:24 AM, David Walden said:

Sorry my modification to my previous reply got timed out this is what I intended to say....

Me too but much less then 5 years.  My air ticket Perth to BKK (Scoot).  Return trip to Perth via  train to KL and KL to Perth with AisAsia approx Aus $280 total  plus cheap hotel 2/3 star for 10 days.  Never travel in Aussie school holidays as air fare to KL or BKK in increases by  3 times.  Home for 2/3 months then back to Thailand.                                                                                                                              

I asked 5 questions on another site, questions which Thai visa edited out.  I usually do not continue posting to any site if moderators edit my posts.   My questions maybe more appropriate in this post.

I now have a "Retirement Visa" issued from The Royal Thai Embassy Canberra Australia" or technically known as a "non-immigrant  O-A  type  M visa"  (it say so on the visa).   Question   1...How many times in year a can I come and go from Thailand on this visa 2, 10 or 20 times or more?   2... Can I have this type of visa extended just before the conclusion of the 1st 12 months for another year, how?    3...Is there an immigration charge to extend it?   4...Exiting the country by train is that a problem, i.e. by train to  Cha -am to Malaysia?  5...Is a re-entry stamp required each time I exit and return to Thailand do I have to pay for it.

My opening post and following responses on this site are explaining the frivolous requirements in getting a "Thai Retirement Visa" in Australia .  Nice to know if anyone can provide answers to above.

Other question about Citibank debit card...I have perused my Citibank statements during the last time I was in Thailand in regard their Debit Card transactions.  It used to be they added the ATM fees for each transaction and at the end of the month a credit would appear refunding all ATM fee as a single entry.   Recently that has changed and the ATM fee no longer appears.   My calculations indicate it is not included in the transactions.

WARNING:- Citibank Credit Card transaction are different to debit card transactions at ATMs, they are not free of fees.  Using a Citibank Credit Card in Thailand you will be slugged in fees about the same as ANZ.  I never use my Citibank credit card but it is linked to my debit card and if you press the wrong button on the ATM you can take the money from your credit card by mistake.  Taking Bt10,000 will cost you about Aus $25 the same as ANZ.   

Edited by David Walden

1. Yes

2. Yes by exiting Thailand and re-entering

3. No

4. By any means you choose

5. No - a Multi Re-entry Permit  (3800Baht from your local Immi office) allows you to leave and re-enter as often as you like until the expiry of your Permission to Stay Stamp issued on your last re-entry.

1 hour ago, Evilbaz said:

1. Yes

2. Yes by exiting Thailand and re-entering

3. No

4. By any means you choose

5. No - a Multi Re-entry Permit  (3800Baht from your local Immi office) allows you to leave and re-enter as often as you like until the expiry of your Permission to Stay Stamp issued on your last re-entry.

Thank you, it looks like we got 4 out of 5 correct.  I got number 5 wrong.  I had thought that the "M"  in the  "non-immigrant O-A  M visa" was in itself a MULTI entry paid for extension... "WYSINWYG"  (new computer language) What you see is not what you get...TIT   It's a bit like when you buy a car the wheels are an optional extra.  5555

Edited by David Walden

6 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Thank you, it looks like we got 4 out of 5 correct.  I got number 5 wrong.  I had thought that the "M"  in the  "non-immigrant O-A  M visa" was in itself a MULTI entry paid for extension... "WYSINWYG"  (new computer language) What you see is not what you get...TIT   It's a bit like when you buy a car the wheels are an optional extra.  5555

The multiple entry part is only valid to the date the visa expires.

You can use the visa to get a new one year entry up to the enter before date on it. After that date you need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry from it valid if you want to travel.

You can get almost 2 years of total stay from the visa with need to apply for an extension of stay if you use the visa to its full extent.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The multiple entry part is only valid to the date the visa expires.

You can use the visa to get a new one year entry up to the enter before date on it. After that date you need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry from it valid if you want to travel.

You can get almost 2 years of total stay from the visa with need to apply for an extension of stay if you use the visa to its full extent.

So does that mean if you want to buy a new car not only do you have to pay for wheels as an optional extra but the engine you also have to pay for.

5 minutes ago, David Walden said:

So does that mean if you want to buy a new car not only do you have to pay for wheels as an optional extra but the engine you also have to pay for.

Put as simply as possible, you have paid for a non-immigrant OA visa, which is valid for one year from the date of issue, you can come and go as many times as you want to between now and the enter before date on the visa sticker in your passport, each and every time you will get stamped in for one year.

As a bonus (sort of!) so long as you enter Thailand on or right before the enter before date on the visa sticker, you will get, as near as can be, a further one year permission to stay, however, as the visa has now expired, then in order to keep that one year alive you MUST go to your local immigration office in Thailand, or one of the desks at BKK / DMK prior to departing Thailand and get a reentry permit (single is 1,900 THB), if you plan on more than a couple of overseas trips, then get a multiple reentry permit for 3,800 THB to keep that one year permission to stay alive, if you don't, then the next time you arrive without a further visa, then you will be stamped in for 30 days.

It is only the second year that costs anything in reality and if you just stayed put in Thailand, even that would be free :smile:

Once issued, it is best to use the OA visa ASAP to capture as much time on it as you can, the longer it is not used, the less time it can be used for.

Note the reentry permit desk in BKK is in the outbound immigration area and in DMK it is after immigration.

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Put as simply as possible, you have paid for a non-immigrant OA visa, which is valid for one year from the date of issue, you can come and go as many times as you want to between now and the enter before date on the visa sticker in your passport, each and every time you will get stamped in for one year.

As a bonus (sort of!) so long as you enter Thailand on or right before the enter before date on the visa sticker, you will get, as near as can be, a further one year permission to stay, however, as the visa has now expired, then in order to keep that one year alive you MUST go to your local immigration office in Thailand, or one of the desks at BKK / DMK prior to departing Thailand and get a reentry permit (single is 1,900 THB), if you plan on more than a couple of overseas trips, then get a multiple reentry permit for 3,800 THB to keep that one year permission to stay alive, if you don't, then the next time you arrive without a further visa, then you will be stamped in for 30 days.

It is only the second year that costs anything in reality and if you just stayed put in Thailand, even that would be free :smile:

Once issued, it is best to use the OA visa ASAP to capture as much time on it as you can, the longer it is not used, the less time it can be used for.

Note the reentry permit desk in BKK is in the outbound immigration area and in DMK it is after immigration.

Thank you Mattd...I will be arriving back in Thailand with my now trouble free  " Thai Retirement Visa"  issued in Australia on 4th Oct soon.  I think it means I can get into Thailand without any trouble.  I will be returning to Perth Australia for  a while on 14 Dec with the prospect of returning to Thailand in Feb 2018 then perhaps several extra trips before my visa ends...I have been using tourist visas up to now but my local Perth Thai Consul before he will issue tourist visas want to know exactly the flight number and hotel booking and my departure date information before issuing a visa, which is cumbersome.  I like to go back and forward for 2 or three months at a time...the cost of the visas is not important the price is reasonable, as I've indicated the effort involved in understanding Thai visas for novices is the hard part.