Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

So does that mean if you want to buy a new car not only do you have to pay for wheels as an optional extra but the engine you also have to pay for.

Read my post again.

You can get almost 2 years of total stay from a visa valid for one year without paying anything for the 2nd year.

If you want to travel during that 2nd year you will need to pay 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit or 3800 baht for multiple.

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Read my post again.

You can get almost 2 years of total stay from a visa valid for one year without paying anything for the 2nd year.

If you want to travel during that 2nd year you will need to pay 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit or 3800 baht for multiple.

Give me time I wonder why I payed Bt7500 Aus$275?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 2:12 PM, giddyup said:

I'm not sure how the embassy would have known how much you had, the stat dec is issued purely on your say so. The embassy doesn't check your bank accounts etc, the stat dec is issued on the spot and Thai immigration accepts it at face value. It is supposed to be an honest account of your financial status, but it is never checked AFAIK.

Not like in Thailand where you can put anything you like on a stat. dec. in Aus you go to jail if it's a lie.  The Thai Embassy in Aus wants to see written evidence from your bank that you have the required amount in Aus they don't accept BS.  It would make things much better for honest applicants in Thailand if the same criteria was applied.  They would only have to tell the truth. 

Edited by David Walden

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2017 at 8:15 PM, gaviny said:

Yes looks like we all should agree to disagree...for myself , my 2nd extension in January 2018 will be the same as this year.I have just gone through my Bank statements on my CBA NetBank and for every month so far this year I have been over the 65000baht mark , therefore I will be in the Oz Embassy in January to do my Stat Dec and if n

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Going to be doing my first extension soon and want to use monthly income method.

Am aware now of the Aussie embassy outreach and plan to do that but...

I have a couple of questions...

Is there any special wording required for the stat dec

Do you get them at the outreach or do you have to have them with you.

How many do you need to have signed one ? two ? or original plus copy ?

I have read that they don't require heaps of bank statements or anything and that you do your stat dec and it is witnessed and that is it.

Is there anything I am missing... it seems pretty straightforward aka too easy???

I was going to pay for help but the helper couldn't answer these questions so back to trying on my own

Most appreciative

I was asked a question as a private message recently in this post why I don't just put the Bt800,000 in a Thai bank and apply for a Retirement Visa...here is my answer.  In addition to my Australian aged pension I have a handy super account (under the threshold) with a large bank Super Fund in Australia.  In recent years this fund has shown a profit of about 8% and capital gains of about 3% making the increase in value of 11% p/a.  If I take Bt800,000 out of this super fund I may get 1% interest if I'm lucky in a Thailand Bank.  This means I would be loosing Bt80,000 per year or Bt1580 per week or Aus $3200 + the visa application fee  for a 1 year visa.  The new fairy floss idea which is now available for a 5 year +5 year Retirement Visa you have to put Bt3,000,000 in an interest free account for at least 5 years that puts the cost of the paying for this type of visa for me in Excess of Bt 1,5 million + the application fee.

Even deaf dumb and blind Freddie know that a lot of money for a visa application.  You think putting Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank to get a Thai Retirement Visa and loosing Bt80,000 +1900 fee is a good Idea??? or Bt $3,000,000 is an even better Idea (maybe for the banks).  I'll be happy to renew my Thai Retirement Visa in Australia when required and keep my money in my retirement fund getting 11% per year...thank you.

:sorry:

Edited by David Walden
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

Even deaf dumb and blind Freddie know that a lot of money for a visa application.  You think putting Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank to get a Thai Retirement Visa and loosing Bt80,000 +1900 fee is a good Idea??? or Bt $3,000,000 is an even better Idea (maybe for the banks).  I'll be happy to renew my Thai Retirement Visa in Australia when required and keep my money in my retirement fund getting 11% per year...thank you.                                                                                   :sorry:

You wouldn't be losing 80,000 baht because if you put the 800,000 into an account that pays interest, You can earn around 2.60% in fixed deposit accounts (accepted by Thai immigration). Also, as you well know, you can sign a stat dec with the Aussie embassy stating income and not have to lodge any money in a bank in Thailand at all. If you did decide to have the 800K in a bank here it can be used for living expenses all through the year, just topped back up to 800K three months prior to applying for your extension.

There's also the convenience factor if you live in Thailand full time, it avoids the hassle of having to fly back to Oz every year and spend considerable time (and expense) there applying for your extension. Plus at 75 I really couldn't give a hoot about penny pinching to save a few bucks.

Edited by giddyup

45 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You wouldn't be losing 80,000 baht because if you put the 800,000 into an account that pays interest, You can earn around 2.60% in fixed deposit accounts (accepted by Thai immigration). Also, as you well know, you can sign a stat dec with the Aussie embassy stating income and not have to lodge any money in a bank in Thailand at all. If you did decide to have the 800K in a bank here it can be used for living expenses all through the year, just topped back up to 800K three months prior to applying for your extension.

There's also the convenience factor if you live in Thailand full time, it avoids the hassle of having to fly back to Oz every year and spend considerable time (and expense) there applying for your extension. Plus at 75 I really couldn't give a hoot about penny pinching to save a few bucks.

Yes I'll do it my way

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

The name of this post is  "Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia."  Many contributors to this post have replied with comments that have been off topic or abusive.  I am well aware that there are different ways to get a Thai Retirement Visa inside Thailand....I repeat the name of this original post is  "Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia".  The procedures discussed here probably apply in other Countries  If you want to comment on this subject I'm happy to reply.  I'm sure there are lots of Australians and others who have the financial means to go about it as I have and would like to have their Thai long stay Visa matters in order before arriving in Thailand.  It certainly is better to arrive in Thailand and go through immigration feeling confident that all is in order.  The additional cost is not a lot and it is a bit complicated, perhaps my experience will help others.  The best education you can get is when you "learn by other peoples mistakes".  I am happy to share my experiences (mistakes) with others.

• Like 1