Getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Australia

39 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I thought there was no such thing as a 'retirement visa'.

On the advice to applicants when applying for a RETIRED (O-A visa) for  on form "A" from the Royal Thai Embassy in Australia (Canberra).  To find out about what is required you look under the heading "Retirement Visa"  After you study it all up yes you realise you are applying for O-A visa.

This is just another example of frivolity.  I just love that word.  Oh! and you can only apply for a "Thai Retirement Visa" at a Royal Thai Embassy not a Consul.

5 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Oh! and you can only apply for a "Thai Retirement Visa" at a Royal Thai Embassy not a Consul.

You could of applied for the OA visa at the official Thai consulate in Sydney.

There is a difference between official consulates like Sydney and honorary Thai consulates such as those in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

I thought there was no such thing as a 'retirement visa'.

Each time I've gone to Thailand it's been on a Tourist visa for 2 or 3 months at a time.  Each time I have been offered the old Bt 30,000 to have problems disappear with retirement visa, but I decided to do it all honestly, and as you know honesty is the best policy in Thailand  (shit did I say that)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Walden said:

Each time I've gone to Thailand it's been on a Tourist visa for 2 or 3 months at a time.  Each time I have been offered the old Bt 30,000 to have problems disappear with retirement visa, but I decided to do it all honestly, and as you know honesty is the best policy in Thailand  (shit did I say that)

Why didn't you do it in Thailand at immigration for 1900 baht?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could of applied for the OA visa at the official Thai consulate in Sydney.

There is a difference between official consulates like Sydney and honorary Thai consulates such as those in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne.

The retirement visa are only issued from Canberra Thai Embassy not a Consul (0-A).  I'm a West Australian Country boy and the Perth Consul doesn't want to know about it and tells you to sent this type of application to the Thai Embassy in Canberra.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why didn't you do it in Thailand at immigration for 1900 baht?

I don't want to or know how to put Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank account.  Just more stuffing around.  This way I just have to prove I have equal to Bt 800,000 in an Australian bank.

Edited by David Walden

7 minutes ago, David Walden said:

The retirement visa are only issued from Canberra Thai Embassy not a Consul (0-A).  I'm a West Australian Country boy and the Perth Consul doesn't want to know about it and tells you to sent this type of application to the Thai Embassy in Canberra.

The question remains unanswered. Why didn't you apply at immigration in Thailand?

5 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I don't want to or know how to put Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank account.  Just more stuffing around.

You don't have to. A stat dec from the Aussie embassy stating that your earnings meet the requirements was all you needed. You are going to have to do that anyway when it's time to renew after one year. Seems like you spent a lot of money needlessly.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Read my post again.

The consulate in Sydney is an official Thai consulate. The others are honorary consulates.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Read my post again.

The consulate in Sydney is an official Thai consulate. The others are honorary consulates.

How are you going to meet the financial requirements when it's time to renew the visa in one year? (sorry, responding to the OP).

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The question remains unanswered. Why didn't you apply at immigration in Thailand?

You don't have to. A stat dec from the Aussie embassy stating that your earnings meet the requirements. You are going to have to do that anyway when it's time to renew after one year. Seems like you spent a lot of money needlessly.

Yes I got one of those stat. decs. at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. Spent half a day doing it and $75 Aus dollars.  I go to Thai Immigration to do the biz and they tell to put Bt 800,000 in a bank and come back in 2 months.  Complete wast of money and time .  The interesting part about going to the Aussie Embassy was the near end of life experience on a motorbike taxi.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How are you going to meet the financial requirements when it's time to renew the visa in one year?

Actually, if the OP plays his cards right and takes a trip out of Thailand just prior to the visa's use by date, then he will not have to renew anything for near on 2 years, by which time hopefully he will have everything needed in place to make an extension of stay, based on retirement, at immigration in Thailand and avoid a repeat of getting the O-A visa.

At some point during the tenure of the visa the OP needs to open a Thai bank account and transfer sufficient funds to it, or have sufficient monthly income and the income certificate from the Aussie Embassy in preparation for the extension.

Just now, David Walden said:

Yes I got one of those stat. decs. at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. Spent half a day doing it and $75 Aus dollars.  I go to Thai Immigration to do the biz and they tell to put Bt 800,000 in a bank and come back in 2 months.  Complete wast of money and time .  The interesting part about going to the Aussie Embassy was the near end of life experience on a motorbike taxi.

Well, you are the first I have ever heard that happening to. I have 3 friends who get a stat dec from the Aussie embassy every year and it's accepted without any problems at Pattaya immigration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Actually, if the OP plays his cards right and takes a trip out of Thailand just prior to the visa's use by date, then he will not have to renew anything for near on 2 years, by which time hopefully he will have everything needed in place to make an extension of stay, based on retirement, at immigration in Thailand and avoid a repeat of getting the O-A visa.

At some point during the tenure of the visa the OP needs to open a Thai bank account and transfer sufficient funds to it, or have sufficient monthly income and the income certificate from the Aussie Embassy in preparation for the extension.

Well, he said Thai immigration wouldn't accept the stat dec, and he's reluctant to put 800,000 baht in an account.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Read my post again.

If you sent your application to any Consul that's OK but they will just pass it onto Canberra Thai Embassy.  On the previous "A" application form instructions it said you can only apply through Canberra.  That is no longer on the form but on the web site instructions it says to send it to Canberra.  0-A or retirement visa are only issued through an Embassy.

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I do qualify in all your references.  It is my intention that when living in Thailand to make  trips back to Perth West Aus often.  Usually cost about $300 Aus return if you avoid school holidays.  I plan to make sure after 12 months that I will be back in Aus and return just before all expires.  I believe as you suggest this should give me 2 years (about).  After that maybe start all over again.  It a good idea to study up bush lawyering of Thai Immigration requirements.  It sure could come in handy sometime.

10 minutes ago, David Walden said:

If you sent your application to any Consul that's OK but they will just pass it onto Canberra Thai Embassy.  On the previous "A" application form instructions it said you can only apply through Canberra.  That is no longer on the form but on the web site instructions it says to send it to Canberra.  0-A or retirement visa are only issued through an Embassy.

The Sydney website is down for maintenance but I was able to download the OA visa application form from the page that comes up.

Why would they have this pakage of forms on their page if they could not issue the visa. https://thaiconsulatesydney.org/docs/forms/retirement-visa-application-o-a.pdf

2 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I do qualify in all your references.  It is my intention that when living in Thailand to make  trips back to Perth West Aus often.  Usually cost about $300 Aus return if you avoid school holidays.  I plan to make sure after 12 months that I will be back in Aus and return just before all expires.  I believe as you suggest this should give me 2 years (about).  After that maybe start all over again.  It a good idea to study up bush lawyering of Thai Immigration requirements.  It sure could come in handy sometime.

Seems you are making something simple very complicated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, you are the first I have ever heard that happening to. I have 3 friends who get a stat dec from the Aussie embassy every year and it's accepted without any problems at Pattaya immigration.

Well I'll tell you the story where I went wrong.  I declared I had an amount more then Bt800,000 in an Australian bank, I also declared I had and Aussie aged pension, $888.30  p/f + $1000. p/m other pension at the Aussie Embassy cost $75..  I also declared I had Aus $15000 in another bank in a Aussie bank.  All in excess of what was needed.  I thought the more you bragged about how much money you had the more notice they take of you.  but this was not to be so, all to complicated for them.  When I got back to Aus I spoke to a lady at The Thai Embassy in Canberra, we had a long very nice light hearted conversation, she was Thai and spoke perfect English.  She assured I had to send my application to Canberra Thai Embassy, how it got there doesn't matter that is where "Retirement Visa" are issued.  The lady told me if you have Bt 800,000 don't put anything more then that you have equal to Bt 800,000. in a Australian bank on your application .  Don't tell them anything else, if you start talking about Aussie pensions as well they will knock you back because in Thailand where the application goes they haven't got a clue about anything else but the Bt 800,000.  This time I just got a letter from my bank stating I had an amount in excess of the required amount...it worked.

15 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Well I'll tell you the story where I went wrong.  I declared I had an amount more then Bt800,000 in an Australian bank, I also declared I had and Aussie aged pension, $888.30  p/f + $1000. p/m other pension at the Aussie Embassy cost $75..  I also declared I had Aus $15000 in another bank in a Aussie bank.  All in excess of what was needed.  I thought the more you bragged about how much money you had the more notice they take of you.  but this was not to be so, all to complicated for them.  When I got back to Aus I spoke to a lady at The Thai Embassy in Canberra, we had a long very nice light hearted conversation, she was Thai and spoke perfect English.  She assured I had to send my application to Canberra Thai Embassy, how it got there doesn't matter that is where "Retirement Visa" are issued.  The lady told me if you have Bt 800,000 don't put anything more then that you have equal to Bt 800,000. in a Australian bank on your application .  Don't tell them anything else, if you start talking about Aussie pensions as well they will knock you back because in Thailand where the application goes they haven't got a clue about anything else but the Bt 800,000.  This time I just got a letter from my bank stating I had an amount in excess of the required amount...it worked.

I'm not sure how the embassy would have known how much you had, the stat dec is issued purely on your say so. The embassy doesn't check your bank accounts etc, the stat dec is issued on the spot and Thai immigration accepts it at face value. It is supposed to be an honest account of your financial status, but it is never checked AFAIK.

Edited by giddyup

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The stat declaration is only to prove income not money in the bank. You have to have an income of 65k baht permit month. At today's rates the total income of 1,888 AUD you showed is only 48,785.92 baht. That is why it was refused.

You could of used the combination method and would of only needed about 220k baht in the bank.

At the risk of contradicting you Ubonjoe he stated $830 per fortnight (or should have as that's what he'll receive for OAP here) which is greater than 1660 per month plus $1000 per month from another pension.

I believe that exceeds 65000 Baht per month required.

OP - just state income on the Stat Dec - don't confuse the IOs.

Edited by Evilbaz