Yingluck cleared over 2011 flooding

webfact

2 hours ago, Raybangkok said:

Why does everybody seem to forget that her aim was to keep Bangkok dry to please the business section. That is why she built dams across many waterways on the outskirts of Bangkok to stem the water flow. That is what caused the massive flooding. The large sandbags used were made at Mor Chit railway yards. We have always had flooding in Bangkok but as it covers the city the level has always been quite manageable. If she had taken the advice from a very high source to release the water in the dams earlier in the year we would not have had these problems. So yes she should take responsibility although whether it merits a court case is another matter.

The floods began in May 2011, when the reservoirs were already full.

Yingluck became Prime Minister in August.

When should she have taken the advice to release the water "earlier in the year" ? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, robblok said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30169695

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.

“I admit ordering a delay in the release of water into the plains areas so that farmers could harvest their crops first,” he said.

I note that Theera is not a member of Pheu Thai. 

And so when he speaks of "I", I don't imagine that he's speaking for Pheu Thai. 

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

You were not there.. she said no flooding.. especially not in places that had not been flooded in 50 years.. never had a flooding in this village above BKK..  only in 2011. She kept handing out false information to safe her pretty face. Had she not done that the damage in this village and many others would have been far less. 

Remember she had satellite images and small planes to observe the water mass moving. We only had her words to trust as we never been flooded here in living memory.. So not so strange to trust someone then. Had she shared the information she had we would have taken more precautions. Many people would not have lost their cars. You should have heard the anti YL sentiment in this village at that point. Normally they were quite happy with her.

I was not there?

really?

geez, that is news to me. 

How come one I remember Sukhumbhand saying Silom and Sukhumvit would be flooded by two meters of water every other day?

yingluck said it would not. 

She won

3 hours ago, mjef said:

Past couple of years have been extremely hot in Bangkok. How come they don't sue Prayut?! lol

I'm sure you must know, he granted himself, family, and cronies, a total amnesty past present and future, so can't be touched or blamed, for anything he does or will do!

8 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

I was not there?

really?

geez, that is news to me. 

How come one I remember Sukhumbhand saying Silom and Sukhumvit would be flooded by two meters of water every other day?

yingluck said it would not. 

She won

We (our village) was north of BKK.. at that time YL was still be in denial .. in damage control mode as not to lose face. Later it was clear to everyone what would happen.. but not at first at first the satellite images were not available. 

This water was slow moving.. real slow.. it took a while for the village to flood (we had our car moved before that point but other still believed YL). But had we known what kind of water mass we were talking about things would have been different. But that data only came available later after it was clear parts of BKK would flood or were already flooded. But that data was available all the time to YL and she never shared it b4 it was too late for many. 

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

by the writings of the people here, it is obvious there should have been a court case that would have high lighted all the problems encountered, and what actions should have been taken to help the situation as much as posable, and of course lay down a set of procedures to follow for the future. ( this same thing happened in Australia mostly caused by not releasing water from dams soon enough)

It's quite correct that an enquiry be held, vs an anti corruption kangaroo court looking for a scape goat to hang draw and quarter...

but dont worry any anti yinluckists out there, they will find something else to try and blame her for, as a dead man tells no tales (or an absent yinluck, in this instance)

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I think this is the most telling line in the whole story.

Investigate the 'Reds' and ignore the 'Yellows'. 

Isn't amazing that they managed to complete the investigation of the second government, but have not completed the investigation of the one BEFORE that? And on the exact same charge?

Thai "justice" is an amazing thing...

"Thai "justice" is an amazing thing..."

Yup, the man who said Thai "Justice is for all" also said  "Democracy will never die from Thailand because I am a democratic soldier but I stay in power because I want democracy to survive” !!

To date there are many exceptions/exemptions from "Justice is for all" and "Democracy" is dead! :post-4641-1156693976:

I have a great deal of difficulty in believing what the PM says, unfortunately so many of his fellow citizens are still in a state of euphoria about him :shock1:  But, every dog has its day. :smile:

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

They didn't blame her for the floods....they blamed her for how she handled the aftermath...now they have dropped those charges.

I kinda recall many similar claims been made against other world leaders......but never heard of any of them been actually charged or even held accountable

No, I believe they blamed her for flood management. If I recall, a decision was made to delay water releases from over-burdened dams up north to give farmers time to harvest their crops. Because of continuing rainfall, the result was that they couldn't do a staggered release from the dams, so when the time came, you had a torrent moving its way to Bangkok. So the argument was, right or wrong, that the government had sacrificed the city dwellers to the benefit of its farmer voter base. Of course, predicting the weather and making tough decisions is much easier to do in retrospect. 

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I disagree with her being solely responsible. I am sure that Al Gore and Donald Trump had a hand it somewhere. :whistling:

Al Gore doesn't think. I always ask people, who believe that we humans are causing global warming, where were the people at the end of the last Ice Age (global warming starting)?

Nature gives, nature takes away, influenced greatly by our Sun. Humanity may be contributing but not causing.

That lets Gore and Donald T Rump off the hook along with every Thai government past and present. :smile:

BTW -  there is no such thing as a 'natural disaster' only the disasterous impact of natural hazards on infrastructure etc.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

My God this lot where really after her weren't they. Might as well blame her for what's happened this week in the British Virgin Islands.

Give up with the brain power in some places

You weren't here in 2011 were you? Otherwise you'd know why these charges were considered. 

14 minutes ago, khounteen said:

If she was charged, them prayut would have been next for the latest flooding, lol...

That's not true. The issue was around the timing of water releases from certain dams and the planning of those to facilitate harvesting rather than prudent water management. Certain dams were arguably kept too full too early to protect the harvests of certain large land owning political doyens.

42 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Al Gore doesn't think. I always ask people, who believe that we humans are causing global warming, where were the people at the end of the last Ice Age (global warming starting)?

Nature gives, nature takes away, influenced greatly by our Sun. Humanity may be contributing but not causing.

That lets Gore and Donald T Rump off the hook along with every Thai government past and present. :smile:

BTW -  there is no such thing as a 'natural disaster' only the disasterous impact of natural hazards on infrastructure etc.

Did you miss this?   :whistling:

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes and in there it has my arguments backed up by Bloomberg and your arguments.. both. They are all saying a few inches could have made the difference.. those are the few inches released from those dams that were ordered not to release before. Guess your article supports my views too. 

The primary finding was that there was no negligence and this is from an insurance industry expert.

5 minutes ago, pookiki said:

The primary finding was that there was no negligence and this is from an insurance industry expert.

No they said there are two theories... both could be right.. they mentioned a lot that a few inches extra could do a lot of damage.. see the extra water from the dams and less damage. I can get all the support for my claims from your article. So thank you for giving it to me. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes and in there it has my arguments backed up by Bloomberg and your arguments.. both. They are all saying a few inches could have made the difference.. those are the few inches released from those dams that were ordered not to release before. Guess your article supports my views too. 

There is also evidence that the dam releases followed the protocols that were established separate and apart from any decision by a official in the Yingluck government.  They are not all saying what you assert. But as you point out no one has learned anything from this catastrophe.  Isn't that real negligence?

4 minutes ago, pookiki said:

There is also evidence that the dam releases followed the protocols that were established separate and apart from any decision by a official in the Yingluck government.  They are not all saying what you assert. But as you point out no one has learned anything from this catastrophe.  Isn't that real negligence?

They have learned.. now they are releasing earlier.. but as I said I dont give YL or Prayut any marks for improvements after 2011... seriously the only thing I have seen so far only thing is that big bangkok underground tunnel (love to hear more about its efficiency)

In my area they were building a sluice after 2011.. its still not finished.. sometimes i see some people working on it.. wonder who stole the budget. (no not saying YL did that) but saying that its a shame that the project is still not complete and its not that much of a job to complete. 

But there is evidence.. there is more evidence that the guy ordered it shut.. as i pointed out in that article.  Your pdf mentions evidence but does not back it up with presenting the evidence. And the guy is an insurance guy.. not a water guy. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

She handled it really bad many people here lost money because of it. Had she been fair and given fair warning we were going to be flooded instead of keeping to the mantra .. no flooding no flooding. People here would have moved their cars. Now many were lost and we were flooded for 2 months. She should have shared the satellite images.. showing the water mass coming towards us so we could have seen how serious it was. They had small planes and satellite images but she never warned us. Only kept saying no flooding dont worry. This was no flash flood.. it was a slow moving water mass easy to predict if we just had the right information. But it was kept from us because of fear of losing face. 

Only reason they dropped it is because Prayut dropped the ball on the latest flooding and I doubt any of the goverment leaders made much improvements after 2011 to the flood defenses. 

She was too busy buying votes with the rice, rubber, and cassava pledging schemes. Too busy to do any work on infrastructure. It was a such a horrific dereliction of duty. No highway work was done for five years. Has anyone driven the highway 4 from Hua Hin to Ban Saphan over the past couple of years. All that highway work that was being done on the "Noluck highway" was due to the complete lack of work in the preceding years. It was a travesty at best. And yes, the flood preparations were mismanaged too. She was the mismanaged in chief. Unbelievably incompetent. Not that Little P. is much better. A little bit better, maybe.

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

My God this lot where really after her weren't they. Might as well blame her for what's happened this week in the British Virgin Islands.

Give up with the brain power in some places

Blame Yingluck for everything up to and including the 2017 floods, she is not here to defend herself and the present government are not to blame for any problems (they have immunity )

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

I disagree with her being solely responsible. I am sure that Al Gore and Donald Trump had a hand it somewhere. :whistling:

God disagrees with all of us and is getting p-ssed off with having his thunder (not to mention lightning and rain) stolen.

On 14/09/2017 at 7:32 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

I think this is the most telling line in the whole story.

Investigate the 'Reds' and ignore the 'Yellows'. 

Isn't amazing that they managed to complete the investigation of the second government, but have not completed the investigation of the one BEFORE that? And on the exact same charge?

Thai "justice" is an amazing thing...

The article says that complaints were lodged against both Yingluk and Abhisit.  Perhaps they are still.investigating him.

Edited by The Deerhunter

On 9/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, The Deerhunter said:

The article says that complaints were lodged against both Yingluk and Abhisit.  Perhaps they are still.investigating him.

The magpie? Investigating Him ?

He is yellow so immune like all the other time waters whose name start with a G or S

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

The magpie? Investigating Him ?

He is yellow so immune like all the other time waters whose name start with a G or S

A  yellow magpie with a choice of names restricted to only two letters of the (English) alphabet.  Well that's something to ponder on.  I suppose!  Or more subtelly put..... HUH???  By the way, I was only joking (in that instance)  but I guess you have a way more serious view of life in the LOS.  

Edited by The Deerhunter