Before and after - artist's impression of the future of Walking Street!

webfact

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Won't happen. Not enough money in public infrastructure to bother. The only reason they installed the sewage system way back in the 80s was because the stench was keeping the mongers away.

Been to Soi Buakow lately?  The stench is overwhelming and the place is packed. LOL

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, joebrown said:

Until about 18 months ago I lived about 5km from Bang Saray and remember Walking Street which is a short section of the beach road with archways at each end. Maybe it's become a major tourist attraction since I left, but my recollection is that it was only as busy as shown on the photo about 5 times a year for occasions such as Loy-Kratong. The rest of the time the road was open 24/7 to all traffic. Walking Street Pattaya and Chiang Mai are IMO totally different retail/entertainment venues.

The CM Walking streets (have 2) are overcrowded and out of control. Just not fun to walk in them anymore. Too many people (Chinese) and too many sellers. The police love it as they collect money hand over fist from every booth. Needs to be set up better now.

On 9/14/2017 at 1:06 PM, mark01 said:

Hate walking street, so the quicker the change, the better.

Knock it all down and start again.

Walking street , the future  will  be,  new  condos / hotels ,  shopping arcades.

Bars  and  whores ,  are  not  generating enough money , to cover rental costs .

On 9/14/2017 at 1:58 PM, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . .

Who needs more shopping malls in Pattaya or anywhere else when, in a few decades if the "experts" are correct, the vast majority of us will be scraping along on a state handout called UBI (Universal Basic Income)?

We got empty shopping Malls already.........

Only thing missing here is the roof.....

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

We got empty shopping Malls already.........

Only thing missing here is the roof.....

I have noticed a correlation between unhappy , depressed expat in Pattaya and those who never go down WS as a matter of principle. The other angst ridden depressed Expats are those who never pay to play.

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

I have noticed a correlation between unhappy , depressed expat in Pattaya and those who never go down WS as a matter of principle. The other angst ridden depressed Expats are those who never pay to play.

Was out on the WS myself only Thursday night..... my weekly blowing out of the cobwebs.

Expensive but FUN.

30 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Was out on the WS myself only Thursday night..... my weekly blowing out of the cobwebs.

Expensive but FUN.

Yes .You are so correct..... There are still places with cheap drinks, naked willing girls and decent food...A tad dear but no place like it in the world.....but if you live here and not on holiday...an occasional visit is great fun....once a week...The joyless, puritanical, naysayers know nothing...apart from their own self loathing...

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, holy cow cm said:

The CM Walking streets (have 2) are overcrowded and out of control. Just not fun to walk in them anymore. Too many people (Chinese) and too many sellers. The police love it as they collect money hand over fist from every booth. Needs to be set up better now.

I went to the one near Thapae Gate, and will never go back, or recommend it.

21 hours ago, elliss said:

Walking street , the future  will  be,  new  condos / hotels ,  shopping arcades.

Bars  and  whores ,  are  not  generating enough money , to cover rental costs .

Get rid of the bars and girls, whatever they build will not earn enough to pay the rent.

Why else would anyone visit Pattaya? The beach :cheesy:. The culture :cheesy:. The shopping :cheesy:.

Walking Street is finished as is Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy.  Take a look at the development of Bangkok and Pattaya from a long term perspective.  You don't see Gogo and beer bars going up like in the old days. You see large mall and condo projects; restaurants; Western style Pubs and housing estates.  the fact is that there is more money in these projects than in 'girls and booze' and a lot less hassle.  

The day of the mongers is over in Thailand. In fact, with price increases coming again for alcohol and increased property values- Thailand is becoming much more expensive than its neighbors. During the next several years places like Angeles City in the Philippines;  Cambodia and Vietnam will be the place of choice for those interested in low cost 'entertainment'.

Edited by Thaidream

21 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Walking Street is finished as is Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy.  Take a look at the development of Bangkok and Pattaya from a long term perspective.  You don't see Gogo and beer bars going up like in the old days. You see large mall and condo projects; restaurants; Western style Pubs and housing estates.  the fact is that there is more money in these projects than in 'girls and booze' and a lot less hassle.  

The day of the mongers is over in Thailand. In fact, with price increases coming again for alcohol and increased property values- Thailand is becoming much more expensive than its neighbors. During the next several years places like Angeles City in the Philippines;  Cambodia and Vietnam will be the place of choice for those interested in low cost 'entertainment'.

You may be right about W S and Nana ( it's pretty bad now ), but Cowboy was doing fine when I was last there.

Monging will not stop, but it's moving away from girls in bars to girls on the internet.

Tourists do NOT come to LOS for the shopping or western style pubs, though they use such when they come for other reasons.

For every monger that came to LOS, probably 10 come for the culture and the food, or the beach.

They can build as many malls as they like, but it's not going to increase tourism numbers, and all the malls will just compete for the same pool of shoppers ie they will all earn less, as mall numbers increase.

The days of building a huge mall full of shops all selling exactly the same thing and making huge profits is ending. Most people can probably buy the same stuff back home, and don't have to pay to travel to buy it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You may be right about W S and Nana ( it's pretty bad now ), but Cowboy was doing fine when I was last there.

Monging will not stop, but it's moving away from girls in bars to girls on the internet.

Tourists do NOT come to LOS for the shopping or western style pubs, though they use such when they come for other reasons.

For every monger that came to LOS, probably 10 come for the culture and the food, or the beach.

They can build as many malls as they like, but it's not going to increase tourism numbers, and all the malls will just compete for the same pool of shoppers ie they will all earn less, as mall numbers increase.

The days of building a huge mall full of shops all selling exactly the same thing and making huge profits is ending. Most people can probably buy the same stuff back home, and don't have to pay to travel to buy it.

You don't understand.  More malls = more profit for everyone.  What's left to understand?

But seriously,  my boat arrival was in 2006 and it was very interesting meeting a new culture, even though I thought it was crazy.  Now it's not as interesting, leaning to western prices without western standards, and somehow losing the soul of the machine in the transition, but I have maintained that it is crazy.  Also the pale faces are getting scarce around here (Issan) - not that I would like to see the locals overwhelmed by us, but a conversation or discussion here and there would be nice, maybe 0.01% of the population or something(?).  At a guess I'd say maybe 5% of the western aimed businesses are actually viable, and should be taking care of the populous instead, and the rest if not funded from afar, are something (a hobby) to do to stop from going insane.  Habits have inertia though... I wouldn't want to leave because of my wife, but if I was single I'd be exploring Asia lot more, and pop in here on a whim to catch up with a handful of friends & acquaintances.  My better half really wants to see lots of other countries.  I did that before I got here and put my slippers on.  What used to be exciting now is a bit of a chore.  Also she wants to pop out some sprogs which leaves me less than enchanted as I'm on the wrong end of 40 now and getting more selfish every day that I get more accomplished - but I ask her to think about that if she wants to be a world PT.  All is lost somewhere there.  I'm going to get that 'grumpy old man' medal if it kills me, and in the end it might just do that.