Foreigners with fake 1,000 baht notes flooding Pattaya - Thai traders take to social media to issue warnings

webfact

On 14/09/2017 at 1:42 PM, smew said:

Fake goods and fake banknotes the principle is the same, but most of us here knowingly purchase copies and accept the consequences.now consider this scenario: you just purchased a upscale copy Rolex and you paid 1300bhat with two genuine 1000 notes but your change was in fake notes: wouldn't that piss you off?

...and did you get a promise that a written guarantee would be posted to you?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/14/2017 at 6:02 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Funny how when they get a serve of what they have been doing to foreigners for years, i.e. copies of DVD's, Tablet's, iPhone's etc etc, which in fact is fraud, then they cry fowl.

In short purchased a laptop, I asked does it come with Windows 10 and Outlook 2016, yes....I take care, you come back in one hour, me thinking he was going to do me a deal for Windows 10 and Outlook 2016, when I returned, he said they have been uploaded onto the laptop, no charge for you, all include in price, thanks chump I said, only to find out 6 months later that he got it downloaded from the net, a key for 6 months, then  was shut out, suffice to say, I was pissed, so I went into the store and he said, no pompem, 100 baht I can do again for you, no no no mate, I want originals, no have, so I walked out. When I got home I decided to ring the place that I get my toner from for my printer, yes have, do you have them in stock, yes have, 7,000 baht, so I took the 20 minuted drive to collect them.

When I arrived at the store, he said you pay now and come back tomorrow afternoon, I said, but you said you have them in stock, yes, we order on line for you, I just walked out bemused, then a kind Xpat at a bar I frequent said he had a spare copy, couple of beer later and the following day, I was back up and running, cost, a couple of beers, great business people these Thai's NOT, bith shops have lost this farangs future business, which makes me happy, because the kids will need computers soon, etc etc 555

A 'spare' copy of Windows 10 and Office 2016. I think not. KMSpico probably.

• 1 month later...

Every time when I read these nonsense lies I feel depressed with panic attacks, why you have to accuse nomads living on camels pee and tents on falsification banknotes?  how can these middle eastern with their lazy life habit and consumption culture being able to make false bank note? Please think twice before post bullshit lies news 

All fake paper in Thailand done by Thai, at least if after all these years there is a Thai generation that looks middle easter 

On 14/09/2017 at 12:47 PM, stanleycoin said:

Thais think they can pick and choose,  what law and when it applies to

them.

Amazing Thailand.

well it's been firmly applied here. He can frame it with a background pic of a buffalo.

15 hours ago, LionofMedaCM said:

Every time when I read these nonsense lies I feel depressed with panic attacks, why you have to accuse nomads living on camels pee and tents on falsification banknotes?  how can these middle eastern with their lazy life habit and consumption culture being able to make false bank note? Please think twice before post bullshit lies news 

All fake paper in Thailand done by Thai, at least if after all these years there is a Thai generation that looks middle easter 

Some comes from Easter Europe. And as for jour nomad/camel comment just look at the organisation behind ISIS and their efficiency including the creation of false ID  documents. 

Edited by The manic

On 14/09/2017 at 12:34 PM, Blue Muton said:

Quite, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed the irony of Mr. Jiradech Nomneuy allowing himself to be photographed complaining about a counterfeit banknote whilst wearing an almost certainly counterfeit Manchester United top. What goes around.......or as they say around these parts, "som nam na"

Rubbish. One may elect to buy over inflated designer goods that are fake which in fact help the economy. People do not ask for fake notes which are passed to them without their knowledge. There is no comparison between the two form of fakery.

On 14/09/2017 at 12:47 PM, stanleycoin said:

Thais think they can pick and choose,  what law and when it applies to

them.

Amazing Thailand.

We all pick and choose which laws we respect in all countries.  However to conflate false designer goods bought voluntarily with carved currency  is stupid as it is not the same. Fake goods benefits millions of people and aids the economy.  Forgery  is a heinous crime. Mass immigration in the UK has led to an increase in the forgery of high value coins.

2 hours ago, The manic said:

ATM-change burea

Money changers don't usually give you a receipt other than a small slip from a calculator. Therefore, you're left holding the fake money - not good.:sad:

On 9/15/2017 at 8:53 PM, SOTIRIOS said:

...Who says the tourists weren't given the fake notes at the exchange booths...???

Not likely. Thru the years of TVF, how many posts can you find claiming receipt of fake notes at exchange booths? And from credible posters (lot of lies here). Can you imagine the hysteria extended over 50 pages or so?

But you can find news about attempts to scam the exchange booths. 

Try not to feed all the paranoia and victimism.

Edited by JSixpack

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:15 PM, ezzra said:

I'm being sold fake stuff by Thai people on a daily bases and no one

put it on any social media sites..... 

Really?  Everyday?  Only got yourself to blame, then.

You're the only one who would be in a position to do that in respect of the counterfeits you (almost certainly don't) buy everyday, so why don't you do it?

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, Basil B said:

Foreigners should be aware...

1. the foreign gangs may find it easier to pass those dud notes onto other foreigners

2. Thai traders stuck with a dud note is more likely to pass them off to other foriegners

3. any foreigner who unwittingly receive one and then tries to spend it is likely to be in for a very expensive shakedown.   

2.  Exactly how would a trader, Thai or nor, be able to pass off a counterfeit note of the largest denomination to foreigners?  Change for a B5,000 note, perhaps?

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, Mickmouse1 said:

People are accusing others without a shred of evidence that  Arabs behind that fake notes.

I wonder who the real culprit/'s is/are?

Who produce and sell Fake goods to Arabs and Other Foreign Tourists? How many Arabs and other Foreigners been conned and done in Thailand? 

I am eagerly awaiting the police investigation and the arrest if those behind that job.?

The people who are making the allegations are the ones who received the notes from the Arabs!

You think that just because some Thais do sell counterfeits that this trader, who has had no accusation of that made against him, should just suck up the loss?

You don't have to wait for the investigation you want, all you have to do is keep up with the news.  RTP are frequently raiding and arresting those that you think aren't targeted for selling fakes.

Edited by Just Weird

10 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

So the Arabs back home go on a forging spree and head for here? more like Locals go on a forging spree get their mates at the exchanges to include a few with each customer and bingo poor old Arab does not know the difference.

No.

• 2 weeks later...

Come on now, a 3500 baht jersey for only 250.    And you do not think it is fake ?   What the hell  !!!!

I only get my 1000 baht notes from the bank, Got my passbook and they got me on CCTV.    

Would enjoy seeing one of you guys trying to talk your way out of a fake bank note in Tesco Lotus.

On 9/15/2017 at 12:37 PM, murraynz said:

i dont like the sound of fake money,floating around-but thai people are already paranoia about  defaced money---several times i have had people refuse to take their money with a very small rip in it or mark on it..even super rich refused to take a $100 note from nz---it  had small pen mark on it.....al ,a bit over the top..ignorance, i suspect

quite simple really

wherever they go to get that $100 changed to baht, that place will be accepting only very very new clean bills. certainly wont take with rips or pen marks

any bank or changer probably the same. who wanna get stuck with a note you cant change?