UDD to seek reopening of 2010 crackdown probe

webfact

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

Or it could have been feral boy scouts, or a gang of lady boys with non-PMT. The question to ask, before swallowing any of Eric's BS, is just how did they manage to wander, guns, balaclavas and all, through the red camp like they owned the place, with nobody even looking their way.

Not disagreeing but just saying, for work I had to wander through and spend time in both the red and yellow camps when they pitched up.  No one ever questioned me when I entered or exited and I was never even asked for some sort of official permission. The security in both was appalling.  I could have been anyone.

1 hour ago, seajae said:

Thailand is a nice place to live but would be a hell of a lot better if the reds, yellows and thaksins family/ptp were not around to continually stir up all the crap & animosity amongst the people

Animosity is the new norm, and the military is now more to blame than any of those you just mentioned. An overly empowered civil service and greater anger are Thailand's future.  It might remain a "nice" place to live for a while longer, but it will not be dynamic, exciting, hopeful, or fun anytime soon.    

22 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Not disagreeing but just saying, for work I had to wander through and spend time in both the red and yellow camps when they pitched up.  No one ever questioned me when I entered or exited and I was never even asked for some sort of official permission. The security in both was appalling.  I could have been anyone.

Had the exact same experiences.  Near the Yellows Siam Square encampment, went behind a burned out building late one night to relieve myself.  Was confronted by a fairly large man coming out of the shadows wearing a balaclava.  I motioned to where I wanted to go, and he motioned as to cordially allow me to carry on.  He was most polite. 

Men in balaclavas were everywhere on both sides.  Perhaps that is the problem. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Animosity is the new norm, and the military is now more to blame than any of those you just mentioned. An overly empowered civil service and greater anger are Thailand's future.  It might remain a "nice" place to live for a while longer, but it will not be dynamic, exciting, hopeful, or fun anytime soon.    

The argument that the military is more to blame is valid when you consider that the reds, yellows and even Thaksin were a decade old while the military has been uprooting the political system for the last eight plus decades. 

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Why were the police more active doing their job against the PAD and PDRC than in 2010 during Ahbisit tenure. They did their job defending Parliament House and Thai-Japanese Stadium that got a police officer killed and became neutral during the 2010 crisis. The answer can't be spoken openly.

You are now switching to another line of discussion. Why not address one point at a time? You said that no military should turn their guns on their own civilians and inflict fatalities, to which my point was, when the military is doing the job of the military, that's absolutely true, but in this case, as you well know, they weren't doing the job of the military, they were doing the job of the police, and i think you'll find, part of the police's job does from time to time, involve turning their guns on their own civilians and inflicting fatalities.

Go out and take a shot at a policeman and see whether he checks to see if you are a fellow civilian or not, before he returns fire. I'm guessing he won't. Why would you expect a soldier who is effectively standing in for the absent policeman, to do any different?

I will say this again, hold a 'peaceful protest' that leaves 5 police/military/security officers dead and many more badly injured in any other major city in the world, and your protest would be finished so fast you would think you had been run over by a steamroller.

And while that dispersal was taking place, if buildings started burning, there is a good chance that suspected arsonists would be shot.