Why do Thai drivers continually modulate the throttle?

VocalNeal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, JackGarbo said:

Of course ease off the throttle downhill in a manual (becoming rare), though in automatics that's useless unless the transmission has a rear as well as a front pump, also becoming rare. Costs...

Stationary in gear with clutch in wears the clutch release bearing, so neutral with clutch out's better. Riding the clutch on an incline is a sin.

(Sorry, this used to be my profession - transmission & suspension design). 

Auto with cruise control just changes down gears to suit the increase in speed when going downhill with the foot off the accelerator pedal. Acts effectively like a manual.

23 minutes ago, JackGarbo said:

Of course ease off the throttle downhill in a manual (becoming rare), though in automatics that's useless unless the transmission has a rear as well as a front pump, also becoming rare. Costs...

Stationary in gear with clutch in wears the clutch release bearing, so neutral with clutch out's better. Riding the clutch on an incline is a sin.

Agree with you on this, Jack.  Also, when I first started driving an intercity bus in the US some 60 years ago, we had a driver that was only about 5 foot 1 inch tall and could hardly reach the foot pedals, resulting in what someone here has referred to as 'modulating the throttle'.  He was otherwise an excellent driver,  however, my boss used to comment that if you were on his bus and you placed your hand properly, you could have a 'happy ending' with no effort on your own part.  Most Thai taxi drivers can fulfill those wishes - save money!

Edited by snooky
wording

7 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Correct Sir, NEVER coast down a hill, you have less control. Also, as you mention, the engine and gearbox act as a brake, so you do not need to step on the brake pedal so mutt......sirry iriots....:wai:

And riding the brakes going downhill instead of downshifting and using engine braking is IMHO a leading factor in so many bus/truck crashes due to brake fade....or 'brake failure' as it is usually described.

Just now, tryasimight said:

And riding the brakes going downhill instead of downshifting and using engine braking is IMHO a leading factor in so many bus/truck crashes due to brake fade....or 'brake failure' as it is usually described.

Years ago, on holiday to a beach accessible only by a long, steep downhill road, we saw quite a few "brake riders" off the road in the scrub. That was in drum brake days, of course, but discs will fade, too, especially in the tropics - ambient temperature.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Personally l have ridden in car/trucks with many Thai drivers and just found that they are just different, some are good some bad.

IMO it's the lack of an initial learning experience, some improve some don't. 

This from a guy who admits to using 'angel gear' at every possible interlude?

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Chinese drivers shift into neutral going downhill but that at least has some logic to it if the hill is steep enough to maintain the momentummomentum".

You can't be serious......I can think of nothing more dangerous. The idea of having the engine in gear going downhill is for it to act as a brake if for some reason your brakes fail.

The Chinese drivers I had way back when petrol had just been invented would crest the hill and then wind the Landcruiser up to maybe 120 or 130 bone rattling kph on the long downhill side of the mountain before slipping the gearbox into neutral... just before turning off the ignition, being careful not to turn the key the extra click that locked the steering. I sh!t thee not.

2 hours ago, JackGarbo said:

No need to be sorry.  :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Errr, because they're really smart?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

..seems like they're playing catch-up ..revving the engine, wheelies, and CNX every 2nd rev-head has widies now..out here at BoSang they have drifter/handbrake circuit if front of a condo and right on the heavy main road, no safety barriers ..they like the sound of those valve stems bending on their little 1.5 litre shit boxes.

5 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Not sure about the driving, but it is annoying, they do it in China too. The chainsaw is a different matter, it is usually a two stroke engine and despite being lubed with two stroke oil they are prone to seizing and overheating if kept at a constant revs.

5 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Not sure about the driving, but it is annoying, they do it in China too. The chainsaw is a different matter, it is usually a two stroke engine and despite being lubed with two stroke oil they are prone to seizing and overheating if kept at a constant revs.

Unless you are referring only to chainsaws there are plenty of two stroke motorbikes being driven hell for leather in this area that don't stop

In my youth we had Lambrettas that were two stroke we foolishly drove them full throttle all the time the only time they stopped was when a piece of carbon got caught in the spark plug electrodes

16 hours ago, Jessi said:

OP, Looking for logic, sorry you are in the wrong country for that.

sooo true.    actually i have a usa friend that drives the same way. it makes me carsick. it is related to his character-personality . he is the only friend that does this.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This 'Binary driving' characteristic is one of many who lack a certain state of awareness or consciousness...  I know people in the UK who also drive in this irritating manner. 

I commonly encounter it over here in Taxi's, and in almost every Taxi I take in Singapore... Its worse in the Middle East, the binary driving technique there is accelerate hard / brake hard, there is little coasting - its incredibly tiresome, annoying, uncomfortable and also dangerous. 

Here in Thailand when I witness this driving technique I am aware that the driver is not really able to drive very well, he's not really conscious of what he is up to and is on a sort of 'auto-pilot'... 

IMO - it simply comes from a lack of conscious thought.

Gosh Richard 

Think you are thinking too hard - I think it's beyond logic, but I must admit quite irritating. I could give an explanation- but my post would quickly be deleted - think about it? 

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Disagree if you have to use your brakes on a downhill with manual don't do it,

Well I didn't say this. Maybe you've misread my post. I'm saying if you go into neutral going down hill you will have to use your brakes to slow you down where you should be using a lower gear/engine braking. Autos do have lower gears so you can drop down and feather your brakes. Going downhill in neutral is only for those who do not know how to drive correctly.

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Chinese drivers shift into neutral going downhill but that at least has some logic to it if the hill is steep enough to maintain the momentummomentum".

You can't be serious......I can think of nothing more dangerous. The idea of having the engine in gear going downhill is for it to act as a brake if for some reason your brakes fail.

I guess you wouldn't like to drive with me then as I turn engine off on big downhills. 

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Not the best way to go. Your engine is also a brake hence the term engine braking. If you're in neutral going down hill you're going to have to ride the brakes. You should let the engine do the work for by dropping down to a lower gear. At lights if you're in an automatic you shouldn't knock it into neutral. Keep your foot on the brake pedal and apply handbrake. Manual, into neutral, apply handbrake. Still each to their own.

Only if you're afraid of going fast. Personally, I like to turn the engine off and coast down long hills quietly so I can hear the birds tweeting.

17 hours ago, akirasan said:

They just like making noise.  It's not strictly a Thai thing, Filipinos are the same.  

It's a man thing. I have no explanation for it, but our gardeners do it with their goddamn brush cutters, revving the goddamn 2 stroke engines every second, it's one of the few things here that really gets under my skin. I hate the sound of brush cutters. I hate even more the sound of brush cutters having their throttle twitched. Have you ever tried to enjoy a cup of tea with someone revving a brush cutter nearby? Good grief! The women don't do it. Solution, order the women to cut the grass. They maintain a steady engine speed when using brush cutters. Significantly less annoying. I'm an expert on this matter.

Edited by NilSS

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What happens to the power steering and power assisted brakes ?

+1

anyone who intentionally does this on hills should not be in charge of any vehicle, an accident waiting to happen. Also those who say is ok in an automatic vehicle are talking crap, even an auto if you slow to an appropriate speed for the given hill you will have a modicum of engine effect breaking and more overall control. Think maybe a few responding have been driving/riding too long in LOS lol

years ago i was travelling through the sinai desert in a long distance taxi, it was dusk and into night, there wasn't much traffic, no one switched on their headlights, the road was generally straight but when they came to a corner they would indicate, everyone was doing this. strange.

18 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

My usual long-distance taxi driver does this even on expressways. Once up to cruising speed he then starts to 'pump' the accelerator pedal every five seconds or so causing, as the OP said, 'nodding dog' motion. On busy main roads it is not so noticeable as the usual speed variations required to respond to the changing traffic flow disguise it.

The cars in Thailand are not the same as for the rest of the world.

The accelerator pedal isn't an accelerator pedal. It's a fuel pump.

If not pumping, how the hell will the fuel come to the engine.

7 hours ago, Lokie said:

+1

anyone who intentionally does this on hills should not be in charge of any vehicle, an accident waiting to happen. Also those who say is ok in an automatic vehicle are talking crap, even an auto if you slow to an appropriate speed for the given hill you will have a modicum of engine effect breaking and more overall control. Think maybe a few responding have been driving/riding too long in LOS lol

I think that Darwin will sort this out.

People who can't drive will die and extinct those bad genes.

After further consideration I have concluded that the reason is because operating the vehicle pedals is more challenging due to the use of high heel shoes.

I believe women can also have the same issue.

Sent from my VIC 20

Edited by Shiver

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Well I didn't say this. Maybe you've misread my post. I'm saying if you go into neutral going down hill you will have to use your brakes to slow you down where you should be using a lower gear/engine braking. Autos do have lower gears so you can drop down and feather your brakes. Going downhill in neutral is only for those who do not know how to drive correctly.

Misunderstanding as l see it, it's your opinion of who you say do not know how to drive correctly.

Ever seen a downhill stretch of road where you don't need to brake.

Ever seen the traffic lights change to red way up ahead where you have no need to get to quickly you can just coast to them.