pets in condo

Does anyone remember a court case in Pattaya some years ago in which the pet-owner won? I've been looking around on the net and the Forum and can't find it. At the time it was groundbreaking and supported rights of pet owners who controlled their animals properly.

Our condo has put up signs banning pets and then taken them down immediately, I assume because of this ruling. Now there is a sign on one tower forbidding pets.

Of course, no consult with owners...

Yes, I'm aware of that and it can be handled on a case to case basis. The blind-eye system is all very well but if someone has a grudge against you they can arrest your pet!

But What I'm really interested in is the court case some years ago. Any idea where to look?

Maybe a good idea to check the by-laws for your specific condo block, most will have a specific "no pets" law.

If the condo management is putting up signs, its probably enforcing the "existing" By-laws, and no need to consult with owners.

I doubt if a court case would automatically make all condo by laws null and void.

Besides condo laws, pets in condos also probably falls under general health and noise laws.

I suspect the court case may have had to do with a condo that didn't have a "no pets" clause in its Regulations. (Still can't find the case.) But have discovered that ours does have "no pets" as, I read, most condos do. What baffles me is why they put up signs in the bldg. and then quickly removed them a few months ago... I thought this might be because of court case.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:59 AM, ripley said:

I suspect the court case may have had to do with a condo that didn't have a "no pets" clause in its Regulations. (Still can't find the case.) But have discovered that ours does have "no pets" as, I read, most condos do. What baffles me is why they put up signs in the bldg. and then quickly removed them a few months ago... I thought this might be because of court case.

Why don't you ask the juristic body? It would be great if they say that the reason is because of the law. I doubt it unless your condo is in Pattaya and maybe the juristic body of your condo knew of the ruling.

I am kept from going to Thailand because of my cat. Surely there are available some condos of the order of 50k+, I cannot afford that. 25K is my max but I cannot keep a cat in a 50sqm apartment, if I can find one. JC Tower used to be pet friendly, with reasonable rent for a two bedroom two bathroom unit, not any more, I think. 

I am a pensioner and the wife and I wouldn't mind spending a few years in Thailand. We just cannot dump the cat. It is like leaving a child behind. 

And yes It would be lovely if this ruling favouring pet owners resurfaces and acquires some teeth.

may I know which condo you are in now ?????????

My friend had a bad experience with  ?  condo at sirimangkalajan, This condo is behind Kad Suan Kaew. They said Pet was ok but they changed their mind after my friend paid the deposit, and my friend had to give up 500,000 baht deposit as he could not live there without his two little dogs. they lie, unfortunately my friend did not  read the contract before he paid the deposit, he should insist them to put on the contract first. And they said  " yes we lie so what can you do to us? you paid the deposit"

4 hours ago, marios said:

Why don't you ask the juristic body? It would be great if they say that the reason is because of the law. I doubt it unless your condo is in Pattaya and maybe the juristic body of your condo knew of the ruling.

I am kept from going to Thailand because of my cat. Surely there are available some condos of the order of 50k+, I cannot afford that. 25K is my max but I cannot keep a cat in a 50sqm apartment, if I can find one. JC Tower used to be pet friendly, with reasonable rent for a two bedroom two bathroom unit, not any more, I think. 

I am a pensioner and the wife and I wouldn't mind spending a few years in Thailand. We just cannot dump the cat. It is like leaving a child behind. 

And yes It would be lovely if this ruling favouring pet owners resurfaces and acquires some teeth.

You can rent a large house in Chiang Mai for as little as 8000 baht a month. Just would have to be careful of soi dogs, however, a cat would be no problem. They are everywhere once you get a bit outside the city.

There are some condos and hotels that are pet friendly.Most thankfully are not .The rules are available before renting or buying a condo .It is up to the pet owner to research beforehand .A recent case in the UK was  denied on appeal against owners right to keep dogs in a unit he purchased.If you can't live without your cat stay home or rent a house.

4 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You can rent a large house in Chiang Mai for as little as 8000 baht a month. Just would have to be careful of soi dogs, however, a cat would be no problem. They are everywhere once you get a bit outside the city.

Of course this is true. We do not want to live in the suburbs. The isolation would be total. Besides, my Thai can hardly be described as survival Thai. My wife's nada. We need something downtown next to shopping and restaurants. I would love a condo with all amenities and with gardens. Maybe a house downtown belonging perhaps to a gated community, if I can find one within the budget.

Expatriates with young families of course choose comfortable large houses in the suburbs.  Invariably there is a car. We do not want to drive in Thailand, so the suburbs are out of question.

Thanks for the suggestion dear Bazza 73

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

There are some condos and hotels that are pet friendly.Most thankfully are not .The rules are available before renting or buying a condo .It is up to the pet owner to research beforehand .A recent case in the UK was  denied on appeal against owners right to keep dogs in a unit he purchased.If you can't live without your cat stay home or rent a house.

A hotel would be too small and a detached house with a yard would be too off center. I will try to find some pet friendly condo downtown  

Thanks for your comment dear jippytum

11 hours ago, marios said:

I lived at JC and they had a strange rule which started about 2011 I think. No "new pets" were supposed to be allowed, but it just meant it became uncontrollable and there were dogs barking all the time.

Pathway by the klong had too much s#it to walk without your nose riveted to the path (and motorbikes menace too).

I moved out. Next place was new and no pets allowed, but of course some woman with braces on at 35 had a yappy dog. The Jurassic office turned a blind eye. She pushed it around in a pram! She lived in the other block so we didn't hear it very often. What made me move was the Mom and Pop store in the next soi got three cockerels that crowed all night and day.

As for cats, I'm allergic so I prefer no pets at all including rodents, insects and reptiles, well fish are okay.

House is your best bet, but for 25k in Bangkok down town I think you will find it impossible.

Best of luck.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Unfortunately, the administration in our bldg. is part of the problem - if that is what you mean by "juristic body". The administration, committee, etc. cannot change a regulation without an AGM approval of something like 50% of Total Ownership. But they can turn a blind eye if they want to.

Incidentally, I totally agree with those who object to pets which create noise, smells and other nuisance in the bldg. Pets shouldn't be allowed in common areas except to enter (accompanied') and exit. It is these pets for which the regulation could be used. In the wrong hands, i.e. spiteful, vindictive or simply controlling, a regulation can be abused.

A house is a good option. However, houses carry their own complications such as maintenance, security, etc.

17 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I lived at JC and they had a strange rule which started about 2011 I think. No "new pets" were supposed to be allowed, but it just meant it became uncontrollable and there were dogs barking all the time.

Pathway by the klong had too much s#it to walk without your nose riveted to the path (and motorbikes menace too).

I moved out. Next place was new and no pets allowed, but of course some woman with braces on at 35 had a yappy dog. The Jurassic office turned a blind eye. She pushed it around in a pram! She lived in the other block so we didn't hear it very often. What made me move was the Mom and Pop store in the next soi got three cockerels that crowed all night and day.

As for cats, I'm allergic so I prefer no pets at all including rodents, insects and reptiles, well fish are okay.

House is your best bet, but for 25k in Bangkok down town I think you will find it impossible.

Best of luck.

That was very informative. Pet friendly places can be such a nuisance with the dogs barking. There is no compelling need to go to Thailand other than to live in a cosmopolitan place with good and not so pricey  shopping and excellent food.  The suburbs demand knowledge of Thai. Very limited. Now that JC Towers are officially dead  we shall examine our options and act accordingly. There are some cat and rabbit only places, more pricey than the budget and we may discuss it with the missus.  

Thanks for the info

8 hours ago, marios said:

That was very informative. Pet friendly places can be such a nuisance with the dogs barking. There is no compelling need to go to Thailand other than to live in a cosmopolitan place with good and not so pricey  shopping and excellent food.  The suburbs demand knowledge of Thai. Very limited. Now that JC Towers are officially dead  we shall examine our options and act accordingly. There are some cat and rabbit only places, more pricey than the budget and we may discuss it with the missus.  

Thanks for the info

I live in the suburbs now, near the GF's family.

I am far from fluent in Thai but have no real problems.

You should take some time to look around if you can.

You might be wise to consider Vietnam or Malaysia.

Best of luck.

I would think it depends on whether you are renting or buying. I love animals but wouldn't want to rent to a stranger with a pet. Not everyone is fastidious in a rental.

It's a lot of hassle travelling with a pet - documents, etc. Although you would probably be alright in many condos in Thailand, you might not be and that could be disastrous. 

2 hours ago, ripley said:

I would think it depends on whether you are renting or buying. I love animals but wouldn't want to rent to a stranger with a pet. Not everyone is fastidious in a rental.

It's a lot of hassle travelling with a pet - documents, etc. Although you would probably be alright in many condos in Thailand, you might not be and that could be disastrous. 

It is a hopeless task. The documents, the hellish experience   for a cat to undergo a long haul flight. She  is distressed when the car ride is just ten minutes. She cannot accept the engine noise/vibration. How can she tolerate the 12-16 hrs flight and stoppage time. Besides the condo must have laminate floors in order to accommodate the occasional vomit. Tiles of any grade would stain if the vomit is not removed immediately. This constraint  comes on top of the limited supply of suitable and affordable accommodation. So, I suppose, we shall continue visiting our beloved Thailand for a month as we usually do and keep the cat in a pet hotel as we usually do. The cost for a month of the cat hotel is more than the plane ticket. So taking the cat with us would not burden us any further. It cannot be, however, because it is too much of a hassle. Sad! 

Thanks for the comment, Ripley

13 hours ago, marios said:

It is a hopeless task. The documents, the hellish experience   for a cat to undergo a long haul flight. She  is distressed when the car ride is just ten minutes. She cannot accept the engine noise/vibration. How can she tolerate the 12-16 hrs flight and stoppage time. Besides the condo must have laminate floors in order to accommodate the occasional vomit. Tiles of any grade would stain if the vomit is not removed immediately. This constraint  comes on top of the limited supply of suitable and affordable accommodation. So, I suppose, we shall continue visiting our beloved Thailand for a month as we usually do and keep the cat in a pet hotel as we usually do. The cost for a month of the cat hotel is more than the plane ticket. So taking the cat with us would not burden us any further. It cannot be, however, because it is too much of a hassle. Sad! 

Thanks for the comment, Ripley

Best option, tough as it is.

On 19/09/2017 at 2:08 PM, natway09 said:

The Juristic Committee can change the rule whenever they like.

Usually they will post in the foyer to get rid of an offending tenant.

Once they are gone, business as usual

Rules and regs can only be changed by the condo owners via their votes.

On 9/19/2017 at 12:50 PM, marios said:

Of course this is true. We do not want to live in the suburbs. The isolation would be total. Besides, my Thai can hardly be described as survival Thai. My wife's nada. We need something downtown next to shopping and restaurants. I would love a condo with all amenities and with gardens. Maybe a house downtown belonging perhaps to a gated community, if I can find one within the budget.

Expatriates with young families of course choose comfortable large houses in the suburbs.  Invariably there is a car. We do not want to drive in Thailand, so the suburbs are out of question.

Thanks for the suggestion dear Bazza 73

I live in a condo near the night Bazaar. in Chiang Mai. There is a no pet rule, but we ended up with a kitten (long story!). Since cats are clean, quiet and there is no odor, the management team says nothing. I'm the owner and that might help. People have tried to bring in dogs, but the barking caused complaints (it's a very quiet building). Sound out the people living in a building about having a cat.

On 24/09/2017 at 4:25 AM, inThailand said:

This is true. The committee has no power to alter any regulations written in the building rules, so if the by-laws say "no pets" that's it.

Personally even as a cat-lover (not dog-lover) I would not want to live in any condo that permitted animals on the premises. The people are bad enough.

On 24/09/2017 at 4:25 AM, inThailand said:

For certain that is NOT true in the condo where I live.

Section 6 of the R&R  -Personal Propert Utilization  -can be changed by the committee-with no reference to the co -owners.

However that flexibility was written into the original R & R.

For example in the original R&R Section 6  there was no reference to Car Parking Rules.

Now there is.

Edited by Delight
Spelling

There would be different kinds of condo projects that make up the country.

I bought into 3 projects. Two have 'No Pet' rule, but the oldest project permits pets, both cats and dogs.

The Chairman of the Board has a Vet centre in one of the commercial unit, and the Juristic Manager keeps two golden retrievers.

15 hours ago, Delight said:

For certain that is NOT true in the condo where I live.

Section 6 of the R&R  -Personal Propert Utilization  -can be changed by the committee-with no reference to the co -owners.

However that flexibility was written into the original R & R.

For example in the original R&R Section 6  there was no reference to Car Parking Rules.

Now there is.

Condo Law trumps Regulations. Regardless of what your Regs say, the law says any change in them requires percentage vote of total ownership. That is, of course, if anyone in the bldg. chooses to challenge committee action.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:01 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Best option, tough as it is.

We have much beloved cats so I sympathize with your situation. Perhaps you might consider hiring a "house-sitter" so you could stay longer in Thailand?

Sounds like Kitty is pretty sensitive and who knows what it would do to her to change residence. She's lucky to have friends so careful of her welfare.