Massive raid as "coloreds" targeted in Nana this morning

rooster59

3 hours ago, berybert said:

If you read my post you will find the word coloured doesn't outrage me at all.

The use of the American spelling colored on the other hand does.

I guess my post flew somewhat over your head.

:sorry: but it is a little ambiguous.  I noticed the two spellings, of which I chose the English version  in response. I too am distressed at the way the English language is being mauled but then we only have our educators to blame for this.   However,  to ensure to ensure the point was taken in the right context I would have detailed it as "the spelling of"  not "the use of" to save it being open to more than one interpretation.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not but thank you for your clarification.:wai:

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

:sorry: but it is a little ambiguous.  I noticed the two spellings, of which I chose the English version  in response. I too am distressed at the way the English language is being mauled but then we only have our educators to blame for this.   However,  to ensure to ensure the point was taken in the right context I would have detailed it as "the spelling of"  not "the use of" to save it being open to more than one interpretation.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not but thank you for your clarification.:wai:

Cant beat a bit of ambigousnessness.

When one walks down Sukhumvit Road between  Soi 4 through 19 after dark and sees a large contingent of foreigners who happen  to be dark skinned and from Africa and none of these people are shopping; purchasing drink or eating in restaurants but loitering about and approaching passers bye- they become people of interest to the police.  In most Western countries if this occurred- they would be suspected of loitering and have their IDs checked and either arrested or told to move on.

It is common knowledge to those expats who inhabit the area that the area is a haven for drug dealers; foreign prostitutes; and scammers. It does not surprise me that most of those picked up did not have any  drugs on their person or in their system. They don't use the product- they sell it and in most cases don't carry it on their person.

The Thai police are finally moving on this issue which has been going on for years. What good does it do to force Thai vendors off the street and allow foreign criminals to take their place. In addition, let's not be misled at how the Thai papers or the police refer to people by attaching labels that Westerners find offensive.  Thais use labels to describe everyone  and anything. It is the adjective attached to the word that determines if it is offensive or not in the Thai language.

Edited by Thaidream

On 9/15/2017 at 10:21 PM, ezzra said:

To be fair, most of those guys are her up to no good or involved

in one shady deal or another or looking to get into one,

tourist the're not and they don't spend money to help the economy,

on the contrary, the're looking to make and take money out, 

so weeding those guys out every now and than is a good thing

and that's goes for other groups of high questionable groups of

people loafing off in Thailand.....

You seem to know a lot about these people. How do you know your "facts" are accurate?

On 9/16/2017 at 12:21 PM, ezzra said:

To be fair, most of those guys are her up to no good or involved

in one shady deal or another or looking to get into one,

tourist the're not and they don't spend money to help the economy,

on the contrary, the're looking to make and take money out, 

so weeding those guys out every now and than is a good thing

and that's goes for other groups of high questionable groups of

people loafing off in Thailand.....

How do you know they don't spend money to help the economy?

Just because they're not flashing cash for a couple of happy hour drinks at the Stumble Inn or the Hilary bars or greasing prostitutes on Soi Cowboy for all to see doesn't mean anything.

I've never seen one sleeping rough like I have farangs so one assumes they rent apartments, they buy and consume food and drink, some even marry and have kids to remain here and, like many of us, have to stump up the 400k for immigration.

What's astonishing is that many of those passing negative comments on what Africans do or don't contribute to the economy are on constrained budgets themselves but seem to labour under the illusion that they're the driving force behind the Thai economy.

Personally, I hate being approached by the Africans to buy drugs but then again, I don't like being approached by Thai streetwalkers and hustling ladyboys either; I'm not calling for them to be carted off the streets though.