Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Yep, I know! Your logic is not wrong at all. 

first it 22 bath hike per bottle. that will make approx 55 go to 77.

After that I gues we have to calculte the 430 Bath. That will make the same amount as you say. It will stay under a 100 Bath per bottle, but saomhow the shop I just bought it in charged me 118.

I just bought a bottle of premium beer .a large bottle of Federbrau for B63 at Tesco /Lotus express .I am expecting the price to be B61 by Monday .The Nation newspaper explained the increase per bottle .Premium beer is going down B2 a bottle according to them .

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Considering the price of beer is supposed to rise by just a couple of Baht something seems very wrong here.

Their customers should remember their dumbness once the truth finally comes out.

Sounds like he is getting ripped off, should go and check prices at a 7-11.

8 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Yep, I know! Your logic is not wrong at all. 

first it 22 bath hike per bottle. that will make approx 55 go to 77.

After that I gues we have to calculte the 430 Bath. That will make the same amount as you say. It will stay under a 100 Bath per bottle, but saomhow the shop I just bought it in charged me 118.

Except you have to deduct the old duty off the price, people seem to be forgetting that.

6 minutes ago, anto said:

I just bought a bottle of premium beer .a large bottle of Federbrau for B63 at Tesco /Lotus express .I am expecting the price to be B61 by Monday .The Nation newspaper explained the increase per bottle .Premium beer is going down B2 a bottle according to them .

Marketing seems to work on you... Premium? Made by Thai Beverages (Chang)

Rating of 4% out of 100% https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/federbru/99854/

31 minutes ago, Get Real said:

So you say! I am only happy. This means less amonunt of adlesson power drinkers in this country. I just do not care about what I pay for the beers. Just over happy that some people just can´t afford it nomore. 

The price will come back down once everyone realises they're ripping people off and charging twice what everyone else is. this will probably happen around Tuesday next week.

2 hours ago, Next stop NK said:

Well, there was an article the other Day saying that they made a new law giving up to 7 years, if I remember correctly in jail for hoarding plus an insane fine of several hundred thousands of THB, so up to you if you dare

I think you're giving Thailand a bit too much credit. They can't even get people to wear helmets.  :laugh:

48 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

430 baht per litre of alcohol.
Say a beer is 5% then the increase would be 430/20 = 21.5 baht for a litre.

Not sure of my logic as it seems an incredible hike.

That's is not the increase that is the new duty, you need to deduct the old duty first. Then you have to the other tax which is on the retail price. Apparently increase is about 2.6 baht per large bottle.

I live relatively close to the burmese border in Mid Thailand smuggled cigarettes and whisky (very nice)is available but not in local  shops)

How to get it easily and safely?  Simple.......place your order with the cops!

They are going to love this

Most  of my  time in LOS, is spent, mostly on forums TVF etc , or watching television / reading,  when my wife goes too the village , paradise.

A quality, and  healthy life style .

IMO , alcohol taxes , should have been increased by 100% .

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, JohnLick said:

Marketing seems to work on you... Premium? Made by Thai Beverages (Chang)

Rating of 4% out of 100% https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/federbru/99854/

I am the last person to believe marketing .Its the smell and taste and the fact they import the grain from Germany and brew to the German purity laws .Its 5 % by the way ( unless they are lying on their bottle label ) which is more than enough for me .

Edited by anto

The way I read it based on volume a beer at .375l x .05 alcohol x 420baht = 7.87 baht per bottle  (small) I dont understand however if they intend that, plus 22%  of retail value.
Either way I'm sure the local and ferlang bar owners will be hiking their price by far more and blaming the tax hike! 

EDIT just re read it and it appears its both! Might be something like 40 baht x 22% plus 7.87 baht for the volume = 16.67 Baht tax!

When you go to the 7/11 tomorrow they will tell you xxx baht for your little bottle of beer [emoji482]. That's how much it cost . Have two choices , beer or water .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, elliss said:

Most  of my time in  Thailand , mostly on forums TVF etc , or watching television / reading .

Live and let live .

apparently you a non drinker....... Maybe you ride a motorcycle and not bothered............... But how about if they raise 'Fuel' Tax by 100% or double the cost of rice to start paying the poor farmer 'fairly'........ 

Any comment.................

For me I can afford to pay for the few 'vices' i have, but as I pay these increased prices my eyes are wide open at see and think about...... WHY.....

If I am Paying to support some poor parents in Issan or younger siblings to go to school...... I don't think twice.....

But when the Thai Government tries to get in my pocket........ and I know none of the money will make it to the 'poor'............ I will shift my spending accordingly...... and buy as little as possible..... and re-route my money to the Poor in Issan, as best i can............

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2--- The tax on other imported spirits, such as Johnnie Walker Red and Blue Label Scotch whisky, will be a little less, from Bt3 to Bt26

Half a Baht more for a can of beer----yer the country's finished...no tourist will stand for that. It's also ruined our life here so we might as well all go home...

Talk about headless chickens--how do you guys handle actual real life situations....

** My wife left me because of my insecurities. No wait, she's back. She just went to make a cup of tea.............:coffee1:

21 minutes ago, elliss said:

Most  of my  time in LOS, is spent, mostly on forums TVF etc , or watching television / reading,  when my wife goes too the village , paradise.

A quality, and  healthy life style .

The only thing worse than vegans - tea totallers. 

This is by far the most stupid, the most worst organized tax increase I experience in my whole life.
1000 different prices, everybody calculate as he wants,  the intermediate traders have no idea how to calculate and the end user is ripped off. 
The people who have pimped this are incapable.
Poor Thailand

Edited by tomacht8

47 minutes ago, poohy said:

I live relatively close to the burmese border in Mid Thailand smuggled cigarettes and whisky (very nice)is available but not in local  shops)

How to get it easily and safely?  Simple.......place your order with the cops!

They are going to love this

Myanmar Rum is very cheap and quite good. Probably not much more than a bottle of Thai beer.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Everytime they raise the prices.  A thread like this pops up. Within no time it's forty pages. 

Its the uncertainty .When the penny /Baht drops that its only B2 extra on a bottle of Chang ,everyone will relax again ,and the hearth attacks will stop .