Teaching English in Thailand

ritchyp

5 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Please explain why you think untrained language teachers should be allowed near a class of young children.

I have over and over again in the miriad of topics on teaching. I have no intrest on saying it all again.  The you must have a degree wallers usualy jump up and down. Suffice to say i disagree. 

Did i say untrained! No but not having a degree or TEFL does not  mean Untrained. As you well know.

11 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

No but not having a degree or TEFL does not  mean Untrained

If you do not have a B.A or M.A. in TESOL or another teaching related area, then you are untrained and should not be teaching.  Would you let a doctor without a degree in medicine perform surgery on you?

3 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

If you do not have a B.A or M.A. in TESOL or another teaching related area, then you are untrained and should not be teaching.  Would you let a doctor without a degree in medicine perform surgery on you?

Re doctor yes i would and have done.

I disagree with you completley.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Re doctor yes i would and have done.

I disagree with you completley.

In that case,  no body can have a reasoned debate with you. You may denigrate degree holders, although why I have no idea,  but holding a  degree shows a level of intellect, base knowledge  and application that is sorely needed in all professions, but most especially in that of teaching, where an undisciplined ,  unfocused. approach and  lack of basic teaching practice can and does do immense damage.  No I am not a teacher, at least not of school age children.  

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

In that case,  no body can have a reasoned debate with you. You may degree holders, although why I have no idea,  but holding a  degree shows a level of intellect, base knowledge  and application that is sorely needed in all professions, but most especially in that of teaching, where an undisciplined ,  unfocused. approach and  lack of basic teaching practice can and does do immense damage.  No I am not a teacher, at least not of school age children.  

You do not need a degree to to hold down a class of children in a positive way. Not once have i denigrated a degree holder. I have repeatedly said you do not need a dwgree.

I have seen fegree holders who cant handle a class havent you?

50 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A CELTA or Trinity TESOL is (in MY opinion) essential, if you're looking at making a career in TEFL

Please do not get confused between a job and a career as these are the minimum requirements needed on top of any non teaching related degree to get a low paid job in a developing country. 

50 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes, most of them without education related degrees.

Handling a class and being able to plan a lesson with the correct methodology and appropriate objectives that can be quantified to establish that learning has taken place are two different things.

3 hours ago, stubuzz said:

cough, cough

You do realize that there is a difference between the skill sets of a surgeon and a TEFL teacher, don't you.

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

Yes, most of them without education related degrees.

Handling a class and being able to plan a lesson with the correct methodology and appropriate objectives that can be quantified to establish that learning has taken place are two different things.

Now you change the goal posts to suit your side of this debate. I have personaly  seen both sides with a so called Educational type degree and said teacher was to put it mildly so far out of his depth it was Embarasing to watch. I also witnessed a non Degree person who had the class eating out of his hands doing everything correctly.

My point has always been you do not need a degree in anything to be a fantastic teacher.

This will never sit well with you or the other who say you cant do this that and the other without a Degree. I class that as wrong and completley outdated in todays society. Its more of a defensive attitude by most I did it so you have to. Times are a changing which to me is a good thing.

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

Please do not get confused between a job and a career as these are the minimum requirements needed on top of any non teaching related degree to get a low paid job in a developing country. 

Money is not everything i know it is for most which is sad really. I got paid what i got paid money wise and I was happy with my pay. What i got paid in satisfaction is immeasurable.

So please dont get confused with a working for money or working for children. Theres the real diffrence.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Now you change the goal posts to suit your side of this debate. I have personaly  seen both sides with a so called Educational type degree and said teacher was to put it mildly so far out of his depth it was Embarasing to watch. I also witnessed a non Degree person who had the class eating out of his hands doing everything correctly.

My point has always been you do not need a degree in anything to be a fantastic teacher.

This will never sit well with you or the other who say you cant do this that and the other without a Degree. I class that as wrong and completley outdated in todays society. Its more of a defensive attitude by most I did it so you have to. Times are a changing which to me is a good thing.

It all has to do with odds. The odds that somebody who studied something in the education field is a good teacher is just higher than for somebody who didn't do so. By no means you can say "everybody who has a degree in teaching is better than somebody who doesn't", it's just about the odds. That's how our society works, and for jobs where it's possible to harm others to have a degree is a requirement, that's obvious for everybody if you want to be a doctor, in other jobs it's less obvious.

As an example: I'm sure that instead of studying medicine somebody would spend the same time assisting real surgeons, doing real surgeries under their supervision and so on, after these years he would of course be a better surgeon than everybody who studied this in the classical way. But that's simply not possible.

Regarding being a doctor the rules in the west and in Thailand are quite the same. Being a teacher has different rules here in Thailand than in Western countries, because back at home it's not possible to teach without a degree as a teacher, here in Thailand it is.

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It all has to do with odds. The odds that somebody who studied something in the education field is a good teacher is just higher than for somebody who didn't do so. By no means you can say "everybody who has a degree in teaching is better than somebody who doesn't", it's just about the odds. That's how our society works, and for jobs where it's possible to harm others to have a degree is a requirement, that's obvious for everybody if you want to be a doctor, in other jobs it's less obvious.

As an example: I'm sure that instead of studying medicine somebody would spend the same time assisting real surgeons, doing real surgeries under their supervision and so on, after these years he would of course be a better surgeon than everybody who studied this in the classical way. But that's simply not possible.

Regarding being a doctor the rules in the west and in Thailand are quite the same. Being a teacher has different rules here in Thailand than in Western countries, because back at home it's not possible to teach without a degree as a teacher, here in Thailand it is.

We are not yapping about Doctors completley way off the subject at hand.

27 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I dont know where your back home is. My mother country it is possible to teach without a degree.

32 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Money is not everything i know it is for most which is sad really. I got paid what i got paid money wise and I was happy with my pay. What i got paid in satisfaction is immeasurable.

So please dont get confused with a working for money or working for children. Theres the real diffrence.

Edited 24 minutes ago by jeab1980

The difference is, I am qualified and i get a lot of money and satisfaction.  Just remember, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Have a nice day.

5 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

The difference is, I am qualified and i get a lot of money and satisfaction.  Just remember, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Have a nice day.

Hey so am so there is no diffrence,  you say a little knowledge some people have or in your case have not about other people is very dangerous.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Have a nice life

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

That's complete nonsense.  There are plenty of people with TEFL careers, myself included.   The UK and other European countries has thousands of TEFL jobs, ranging from teachers to course writers and Directors of Study. Entry level TEFL jobs are usually badly paid (I was only earning 34,000 a month when I started here in 2005) but if you're any good, it's perfectly possible to establish a career.  I'm now making in the region of 80,000-110,000 a month, which might still be "low pay" by some standards, but is enough for me and my family to survive fairly comfortably in Thailand.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's complete nonsense.  There are plenty of people with TEFL careers, myself included.   The UK and other European countries has thousands of TEFL jobs, ranging from teachers to course writers and Directors of Study. Entry level TEFL jobs are usually badly paid (I was only earning 34,000 a month when I started here in 2005) but if you're any good, it's perfectly possible to establish a career.  I'm now making in the region of 80,000-110,000 a month, which might still be "low pay" by some standards, but is enough for me and my family to survive fairly comfortably in Thailand.

If you did this on the back of a TEFL and CELTA certificate, then congratulations.

7 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

You do not need a degree to to hold down a class of children in a positive way. Not once have i denigrated a degree holder. I have repeatedly said you do not need a dwgree.

That was not my point.  I was responding to your seeming denigration of degree holders. I agree that a degree is not needed, however, a qualification in teaching is, in my humble opinon. . 

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That was not my point.  I was responding to your seeming denigration of degree holders. I agree that a degree is not needed, however, a qualification in teaching is, in my humble opinon. . 

I refer you to the already given answer. Exept now you say "seeming" a between the lines reader again. Or read into it whichever way suits

My daughter is in the second year of her degree in education leading to a UK PGCE teacher qualification.  It is patently absurd to suggest that she will not be better prepared and qualified to teach than a person with an 'O level in English, or worse still, no qualification in that language at all.   That  does not guarantee that she will be a good and effective teacher, although I'm sure she will be, but it does lessen the odds of her turning out to be ineffective.   

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I refer you to the already given answer. Exept now you say "seeming" a between the lines reader again. Or read into it whichever way suits

I have no idea what you are on about, so I will go and do something more useful with my time, than debate this any further with you.  I am sure that you are convinced that you are right.  Good on you and good luck. 

Archived